Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I have a silly question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> I have a silly question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 12:30:44 AM   
Lokasenna

If CVB Midway was too big to pass through the Panama Canal, why does she arrive from reinforcements at Balboa?
Post #: 1
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 1:37:28 AM   
Platoonist

Maybe Balboa is the first port of call after rounding Cape Horn?

Heavy rationalizing there.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 2:13:15 AM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Maybe Balboa is the first port of call after rounding Cape Horn?

Heavy rationalizing there.

My first thought too. Not to mention this little tidbit about post-war operations where it DID sail around Cape Horn. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Midway cleared Norfolk 27 December 1954 for a world cruise, sailing via the Cape of Good Hope for Taiwan, where it joined the 7th Fleet for operations in the Western Pacific until 28 June 1955.

EDIT

Mixed up my Capes. Either way, it had to sail around.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 10/5/2016 4:34:17 AM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 4:29:13 AM   
geofflambert

Now Lokasenna, you know very well that I'm in charge of both silly questions and silly answers. You asked your silly question without authorization from me, which means you've earned one demerit.
Take care to earn no more.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 4:39:22 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Now Lokasenna, you know very well that I'm in charge of both silly questions and silly answers. You asked your silly question without authorization from me, which means you've earned one demerit.

I'll add it to my stack. I aspire to get it as high as the moon.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 4:42:27 AM   
szmike

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

I'll add it to my stack. I aspire to get it as high as the moon.

which moon?

isn't it a silly question too?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 1:58:29 PM   
geofflambert

Does everyone know that in 1947, as an experiment, they launched a Vergeltungswaffe Zwei off the deck of the Midway?

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 7
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 2:59:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

Portage across the isthmus. With a stopover at the Oval Bar in Panama City.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 4:39:37 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Portage across the isthmus. With a stopover at the Oval Bar in Panama City.

The artist has obviously never done a portage! The canoe is inverted over the heads of the men carrying it and all the cargo and equipment is carried by other men or the canoe carriers have to return and bring it to where they stashed the canoe. The few times I did portages I learned a new respect for the voyageurs and explorers who had to do this heavy work without a trail to follow!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 5:00:37 PM   
geofflambert

Did you see that commercial with a woman carrying a canoe on a portage with her trusty dog following her? Problem was she didn't have a trusty paddle. What was she going to do when she got where she was going? Hold the dog out in the water by his ears and have him do the paddling?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 5:03:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Did you see that commercial with a woman carrying a canoe on a portage with her trusty dog following her? Problem was she didn't have a trusty paddle. What was she going to do when she got where she was going? Hold the dog out in the water by his ears and have him do the paddling?

No, silly gorn! That's what leashes are for!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 11
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 5:35:43 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Was the dog a French Paddle?

Post #: 12
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 5:54:10 PM   
geofflambert

I have this favorite memory. From the '70s. I don't remember where the lake was, in the north somewhere, maybe Minnesota or Maine or somewhere in Canada. It was the dusk hour, the water was smooth as glass and there was a pea fog so thick you couldn't see ten feet. And it was dead quiet like when you wake up in the morning early after a heavy snow, and if there's a sound you can hear it like it was a hundred feet away even though it was from hundreds of yards away. Like a tree branch breaking under the weight of snow. I took my mother out on the lake in a canoe, she sat in the front and I in the back paddling. I'd learned in the BSA how a single paddler should do it. Sometimes you see someone doing that and he/she keeps switching hands on the paddle. That's fine if there are two or more paddlers, it gives each arm a rest for a bit and all energy is used efficiently. But if there's just one paddler doing that just makes you zig-zag all over the place and takes a long time to get where you're going. As a lone paddler, you sit in the back, whether you have passengers or not, cargo or not and you do strokes shaped like the letter "J". The top part of the J is the thrust and the bottom the rudder. You feather the paddle just so to keep your course straight and true. I was really good at that and you could barely hear the paddle enter or leave the water. We were in no hurry and we weren't really going anywhere. After we were out on the lake and you couldn't see anything but fog the loons started calling. If you don't know what that sounds like, or even if you do, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU Sometimes one would sound like it was ten feet away but we never saw one. We were probably out for the better part of an hour and I looped around and came back to the same spot where we left even though I could see nothing but fog. I don't get lost easily except in the city.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 13
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 7:42:57 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Does everyone know that in 1947, as an experiment, they launched a Vergeltungswaffe Zwei off the deck of the Midway?

You just wanted me to google "Vergeltungswaffe Zwei".

Post #: 14
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 8:41:27 PM   
BBfanboy

Sound really travels across the water when there is no wind. You can hear conversations that are quite a distance away and the speakers are often saying things they meant to be private ...

The sound traveling across water thing was really annoying one weekend when our Boy Scout group was camping in a Provincial campground on one side of a lake and a motorcycle gang was having their annual get-together on the other side with bikers from all over the country. They had an amplifier and speakers on which they played heavy metal music, made profane announcements and partied loudly all night!

As for favourite memories, at another Boy Scout camp in another campground we had finished the campfire and sent the kids to the tents when we leaders and a few parent volunteers had a few moments to stop and contemplate our beautiful surroundings. The sun had set over an hour before but up here we get a long afterglow that makes the sky luminous. The waters were dead calm and suddenly millions of circular ripples started to appear as insects touched the surface and then the fish started coming up to feed. Awesome spectacle in almost perfect silence.

Post #: 15
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 8:48:15 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

You just wanted me to google "Vergeltungswaffe Zwei".

Its just a A4.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 16
RE: I have a silly question - 10/5/2016 9:34:45 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Sound really travels across the water when there is no wind. You can hear conversations that are quite a distance away and the speakers are often saying things they meant to be private ...

The sound traveling across water thing was really annoying one weekend when our Boy Scout group was camping in a Provincial campground on one side of a lake and a motorcycle gang was having their annual get-together on the other side with bikers from all over the country. They had an amplifier and speakers on which they played heavy metal music, made profane announcements and partied loudly all night!

As for favourite memories, at another Boy Scout camp in another campground we had finished the campfire and sent the kids to the tents when we leaders and a few parent volunteers had a few moments to stop and contemplate our beautiful surroundings. The sun had set over an hour before but up here we get a long afterglow that makes the sky luminous. The waters were dead calm and suddenly millions of circular ripples started to appear as insects touched the surface and then the fish started coming up to feed. Awesome spectacle in almost perfect silence.

You know, I met one of those motorcyclists and he complained to high heaven how much noise you Boy Scouts were making.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: I have a silly question - 10/6/2016 12:09:46 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You know, I met one of those motorcyclists and he complained to high heaven how much noise you Boy Scouts were making.

Probably that big batch of beans we had for supper ...

Post #: 18
RE: I have a silly question - 10/6/2016 12:27:03 AM   
Big B

Just to be clear - There are NO Silly Questions... enough said

quote:

If CVB Midway was too big to pass through the Panama Canal, why does she arrive from reinforcements at Balboa?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 19
RE: I have a silly question - 10/6/2016 5:34:11 PM   
Ol_Dog

just silly answers

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 20
RE: I have a silly question - 10/6/2016 8:13:29 PM   
Zorch

There are no silly questions...just some very smart ass people answering them.

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 21
RE: I have a silly question - 10/6/2016 10:04:44 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

The artist has obviously never done a portage! The canoe is inverted over the heads of the men carrying it and all the cargo and equipment is carried by other men or the canoe carriers have to return and bring it to where they stashed the canoe. The few times I did portages I learned a new respect for the voyageurs and explorers who had to do this heavy work without a trail to follow!

I portaged enough boats around Panama to feel like I've done the CVB Midway across the isthmus . Around the Mojinga swamp was the worst.... or is that the best. Never seen so many mosquitoes in one place. Got to the point where we just stopped swatting them. Everyone had a haze around them and a filling of extra protein. One of the first things a person had to get use to was always having something crawling on them. After a year there I ended up doing over a month in the hospital for jungle rot. I sneaked out to the Oval Bar one Saturday night for a rest from the hospital.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 10/6/2016 10:09:44 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 22
RE: I have a silly question - 10/6/2016 11:50:11 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Its just a A4.

I knew that.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 23
RE: I have a silly question - 10/7/2016 12:41:32 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Which one of these guys were you, BBFanboy?

Camping out

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: I have a silly question - 10/7/2016 4:07:06 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyrusSpitama

Which one of these guys were you, BBFanboy?

Camping out

None of those - never looked good in cowboy gear - too short. If you can find video of the guy igniting the ceremonial campfire by lighting a match to expelled gas - that would be me.

(in reply to CyrusSpitama)
Post #: 25
RE: I have a silly question - 10/7/2016 4:05:16 PM   
NigelKentarus

All those boy scouts singing Koom-By-Ya (phonetically speaking) is enough to keep everyone awake. And when they got tired of that they probably sang It's A Small World.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 26
RE: I have a silly question - 10/7/2016 4:28:13 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

All those boy scouts singing Koom-By-Ya (phonetically speaking) is enough to keep everyone awake. And when they got tired of that they probably sang It's A Small World.

You have obviously never been on a Boy Scout camping trip I have been on a few that would make a biker gang nervous

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 27
RE: I have a silly question - 10/7/2016 7:07:37 PM   
geofflambert

I was also an Explorer Scout and we'd go camping with ... GIRLS!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 28
RE: I have a silly question - 10/8/2016 1:16:15 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

That would be Ka-boom-By-Ya.
No Disney songs thanks! "The Quartermaster Stores" was more likely.
We did have a yell called "There Ain't No Flies On Us!"

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 29
RE: I have a silly question - 10/10/2016 6:23:10 AM   
Alfred

quote:

Well into the AE development effort the size of the Midway and Montana classes being too big to fit through the Panama Canal had been overlooked. Not a significant game design issue in itself.

Appearing at Balboa represents the first available port after rounding Cape Horn. Arriving at any other off map hex would have allowed a player to "sail" these classes through the Canal and of course then there would be howls of protest about that.

Alfred

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> I have a silly question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI