Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Finns Again

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The Finns Again Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Finns Again - 10/7/2016 7:14:04 PM   
BK6583

Just now have decided to play this game. I have repeatedly read and reread the manual and as many posts as I can digest. I still several questions:

1. If I understand the manual, once I take Leningrad and clear the SU out, if I move Finnish units to garrison Leningrad and its surroundings for anti-partisan purposes, they'll lose morale for every turn I have them south of the no attack line? If that's the case, then can I assume that I can at least constantly rotate Finnish units in and out of Leningrad to maintain those garrisons?

2. If I understand the manual, for C2 purposes, I have to keep Army level, i.e., 4th Panzer Group and 16th and 18th Army HQs within 7 hexes of their respective corps HQs? For Army GP North, within 15 hexes? And for OKF, within 22 hexes?

3. Still do not understand the use of the hordes of construction units. Keep them attached to Army/Army HQ regardless of where they are on the map?

4. I think I understand SU population - if I surround a city, etc., do I prevent that SU population from 'escaping'?

5. Leningrad again: I left SU combat units alone in Liepaja and Ventspils figuring that once I took Leningrad (and according to the manual converting the Baltic to complete Axis control) that those units would eventually surrender. Yet at the end of the 'Road to Leningrad' scenario, they were still eating champaign and caviar! For the broader campaign game, do I need to just attack them and eliminate them?

6. Oh boy the air game. From reading the posts I'm supposed to switch to manual replenishment - really? Lots of micro-management. BUT, how do I do that?
Post #: 1
RE: The Finns Again - 10/8/2016 1:56:24 AM   
BlueAndGray

Just gonna stick with what I have a rough idea on and let the more experienced players take the others.

2) You want to make sure that your combat units stay within 5 hexes of their commanding HQ if possible so they will be able to get full resupply. I believe it is default that if you click on an individual HQ it will highlight that HQs direct reporting units and if they have a blue highlight then they are close enough to get full supply from their HQ. Farther away than 5 hexes and they will be highlighted in red and their re-supply will be reduced. See section 20.1.5 on Headquarters Units and Supply. For that matter, make sure to read and understand all of section 20 on Supply.
Command range is another issue - the farther away each HQ is the harder it is for them to positively impact that unit's performance with combat checks. See section 11.3.2 Command Range Modifier for details there. But in general just try to keep your HQs as near as practical to your combat units and shift commands over as necessary to make it easier.

3) The main purpose of construction units is to repair railroads since the Germans and Soviets used a different rail gauge and it had to be converted as each army advanced. If you are playing offense it is imperative that you use those FBD/NKPS units to repair the rail along your main axis of advance to keep your units resupplied. Outrunning your supply lines can be a very dangerous thing in this game - you'll run out of ammo and fuel and be a sitting duck. See section 14.2.2 on Rail Line Repair

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: The Finns Again - 10/8/2016 10:08:33 PM   
No idea

1) no, they dont lose any morale, you read the manual wrong.

4) Afaik, no.

6) I have alwayd played with automatic replenishment and I have no problems. What problems are you getting into?

< Message edited by No idea -- 10/8/2016 10:09:43 PM >

(in reply to BlueAndGray)
Post #: 3
RE: The Finns Again - 10/9/2016 1:28:00 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

4) No. Even if surrounded (this turn or some turns ago), the soviet population uses a wormhole to escape.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 4
RE: The Finns Again - 10/9/2016 10:03:02 AM   
sillyflower

The herds of axis construction battalions are invaluable particularly in the first 6-9 months or so, depending on how much you advance, for converting the mass of rail hexes that your FBDs can't. You need to convert the other hexes both to help rail units and to have redundancy of routes so that a lucky partisan strike does not cut off a huge chunk of your army.They really need to be with OKH or AG HQs as they only do rail repair/conversion if they are based with an HQ which is on a friendly converted rail-line. See my rant on the subject at the beginning of my AAR vs Brain G

Once you have stopped advancing and the back-fill is complete you can use them for digging and/or disband some to provide more men for the combat units.They also do the repair work after any partisan attacks.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 5
RE: The Finns Again - 10/9/2016 3:26:51 PM   
BK6583

No problems as far as I can tell. I was reading one of those 'best of posts' and someone said to replenish air units manually.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 6
RE: The Finns Again - 10/10/2016 8:06:40 PM   
Elijah

I've been playing against the computer letting the AI handle most of the airforce, I don't think you have to micromanage it to succeed. Against a good human player things would be much different.

Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 7
RE: The Finns Again - 10/10/2016 8:27:50 PM   
Elijah

As another new player, other than just being good at pushing counters around, the three biggest things that helped me improve have been:

#1 Understand Logistics: getting fuel to your tanks is absolutely key. The Axis player needs to always keep his panzer corps in HQ range, understand how to expand the railheads, know how to use air resupply, and how to use the HQBU function with his panzer HQ's.

#2 Spend time and admin pts removing inferior generals and moving the best generals farther up the command chain as Army commanders. Also, you should be always considering each turn from the perspective of each army commander, using your corps and divisions together to achieve Schwerpunkt, especially with your tanks.

#3 Know your objectives. To succeed you almost have to take Leningrad in '41 for example. You also need to cause massive casualties to the Red Army, and make sure he has to evacuate a large portion of his manpower pts and industry. Plan accordingly.

Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard

(in reply to Elijah)
Post #: 8
RE: The Finns Again - 10/10/2016 9:01:08 PM   
Icier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elijah

As another new player, other than just being good at pushing counters around, the three biggest things that helped me improve have been:

#1 Understand Logistics: getting fuel to your tanks is absolutely key. The Axis player needs to always keep his panzer corps in HQ range, understand how to expand the railheads, know how to use air resupply, and how to use the HQBU function with his panzer HQ's.

#2 Spend time and admin pts removing inferior generals and moving the best generals farther up the command chain as Army commanders. Also, you should be always considering each turn from the perspective of each army commander, using your corps and divisions together to achieve Schwerpunkt, especially with your tanks.

#3 Know your objectives. To succeed you almost have to take Leningrad in '41 for example. You also need to cause massive casualties to the Red Army, and make sure he has to evacuate a large portion of his manpower pts and industry. Plan accordingly.

An excellent guide for the beginner & for some of us who have been playing for a fair while.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

(in reply to Elijah)
Post #: 9
RE: The Finns Again - 10/19/2016 11:47:52 PM   
Ramblinman

1. If I understand the manual, once I take Leningrad and clear the SU out, if I move Finnish units to garrison Leningrad and its surroundings for anti-partisan purposes, they'll lose morale for every turn I have them south of the no attack line? If that's the case, then can I assume that I can at least constantly rotate Finnish units in and out of Leningrad to maintain those garrisons?

My finn units certainly lose morale (1 per turn) when stationed below the no attack line!

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 10
RE: The Finns Again - 10/20/2016 4:11:25 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramblinman

My finn units certainly lose morale (1 per turn) when stationed below the no attack line!

I see. That is different. I thougt the op was talking after taking Leningrad.

Yes, if you can move the finnish units below the no attack line before taking Leningrad I think they will lose morale. After you take it, no problems.

< Message edited by No idea -- 10/20/2016 4:12:22 PM >

(in reply to Ramblinman)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The Finns Again Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI