Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/28/2016 4:52:29 AM   
Rison

Howdy All

Been years since I have played WitP:AE, or WitP. Have always been looking to find time/make time to come back. Hoping to have some time to play over the winter.

First and foremost, glad to see the game is as healthy with so many players and patching continuing! Great big thank you to all those who are still plugging away at this.

Some quick questions:
1. Starting with a fresh, clean install. Dont want to do any mods for this refresh run - will after I get my feet wet again. *What do you I need to get going?* I have the installer, and the v1.01.24 patch. What else do I need?*
2. I see Andy is still updating his scenarios. *Whats the best way to play against the AI (outside of mods)?* Will be playing as the Allies. Im fine with giving resource buffs and extra units to the JFB's, but dont want scenarios where combat results are against Allied player (dont remember if any of them did that).
3. How are things running on Windows 10? Anything special I need to do there?

Look forward to coming back to this great game.

Thanks

Chad
Post #: 1
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/28/2016 5:50:29 AM   
BBfanboy

You need to first install the game "as released" (from CD or paid download).
Next download the latest OFFICIAL patch from the Matrix site. You will need your game serial # and may have to ask their Help desk to set up the download.
Install the official patch.

At this point you are ready to go, but if you want to play MichaelM's beta patch 07 you can find a link to it as a sticky in the Tech forum.
It tweaks a number of things, like enhancing AA effectiveness. Read through the patch notes to see what has been changed.
Nothing gives the Japanese any particular combat advantage AFAIK.

If you want a slightly beefed-up Japanese game play vanilla scenario 2. Set the difficulty high if you want a bigger challenge.

There are threads in the War Room for set-up spreadsheets for the first turn - both Allied and Japanese sides.

There are many threads in the Tech section about playing on Win 10. Mostly it involves putting various switches in your shortcut to the game .exe file (not the Autorun.exe - that is just a menu). The switches to be used depend on your system and video controller and your preferences so the best thing is to read through long enough to know what info you need to gather about your system and what the switches do. Then try them one at a time to see if they help or not.

Take screenshots and post in the Tech section if you get stuck.

Good luck.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/28/2016 6:00:00 AM   
Tony4245

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rison

3. How are things running on Windows 10? Anything special I need to do there?

Prayer helps.

Seriously though, you may want to check out Winaero Tweaker - you can use this puppy to shut off a lot of the (memory-hogging and useless) apps that Windows 10 seems to be festooned with (YMMV). I've got Win10 on the machine I play AE on and it seems to work just dandy. DO use the switches as BBfanboy suggests, it will help A LOT.

quote:

Look forward to coming back to this great game.

Welcome back!

< Message edited by Cerran -- 10/28/2016 6:02:53 AM >

"BEEBLEBROX. Just be glad he's out there."

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/28/2016 4:05:40 PM   
Rison

Thanks for both responses.

I lived and died by Michaels beta patches for quite some time, so will definitely be putting those back in.

Will check out the Windows 10 posts.

Fired it up last night. Funny how many things you remember even after all these years.

Thanks again

Chad

(in reply to Tony4245)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/28/2016 4:17:29 PM   
btd64

It's funnier how much you Forget after all these years....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/28/2016 9:49:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Thanks for both responses.

I lived and died by Michaels beta patches for quite some time, so will definitely be putting those back in.

Will check out the Windows 10 posts.

Fired it up last night. Funny how many things you remember even after all these years.

Thanks again

Chad

Your handle backwards is "no sir"! You aren't going to disobey Alfred are you? Bad Karma awaits ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/29/2016 12:42:52 AM   
Rison

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Your handle backwards is "no sir"! You aren't going to disobey Alfred are you? Bad Karma awaits ...

I have had that nick name for ages. Never noticed that. Ha. Thats too funny!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/29/2016 3:49:05 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Thanks for pointing that out BB!! Rison is definitely a qualified candidate for the DAERHT-ITNA!!!!!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? - 10/29/2016 11:50:03 AM   
Sardaukar

Welcome back!

I started recently to play my old campaign save as Allied vs. Japanese AI after quite a while away from AE (been busy with Command Modern Air and Naval Operations). Got bit of surprise in 1942 summer when using Suva as my fuel hub to Oz/NZ. Suddenly KB made a visit (in my previous games I have never seen that, maybe it was AI script I had not met before (AFAIK there is 13 variants). Lost 12 TK in one 2-day turn . That is bad blow, since in 1942 TK and AO are in short supply. Not mortal blow, since I can use loads of AKs instead, but it is less efficient.

Enjoyable surprise from AI. I did let AI to take most historical conquests except Burma (wanting to keep Burma road open for extra supply in China) and evacuated Australians from Singapore).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Looking to come back: Fresh Install? AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI