Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 10/7/2016 1:04:59 PM   
Hanekem

The problem with Stellaris is conceptual

Look, there are no factories in game, all things get produced at a set pace, regardless of development, population or tech level. this goes from basic structures to starships (though there are starport modules that do, in fact, make shorter build times, they do not stack).
Planets are resource bases (either energy, mineral or research) and has a number of logic fails:
the star systems are empty, you might have some small resource bases off world, but they pale in comparison to planets (while it should be the opposite, the planets being industrial heartlands and the lifeless rock the strip mines)worse, some stars do not generate power to build an energy station... yet you can build a solar array module on a starport in that very star system and get a flat energy income

We could argue that lack of diplo options (for a pdx game) or that no logistics or range limitations are problems, those are true but side dressing.
The game at is core is crap, and nothing will fix that short of a serious overhaul.
But considering HOI4, PDX is going for mass market, dumbing down games to sell more.

A real shame, I used to respect this company a lot.

(in reply to DeadlyShoe)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 10/28/2016 3:17:28 PM   
Japhet

quote:

The game at is core is crap, and nothing will fix that short of a serious overhaul.

Yep, that's pretty much it. What's really sad is the fact that paradox doesn't understand their own game or it's problems. Their new dlc (of course) and patch are great examples of that. They add a bunch of useless stuff ("New portraits! And they are cute! Lolz!!") or change some mechanics (sometimes for the worse *cough shipdesign), but neither addresses the problems in the right way.

For example, why would you think that the war-in-heaven-feature, something that should really be in the base game btw., would improve Stellaris when war and space battles are one of the games weak points: they are utterly boring!

Also, adding a bunch of story events, no matter how well written they are, will not improve the midgame, because once you have seen them a few times, you will click them away without reading any of the text. You will just pick the option that is the most beneficial to you and that's it.

The game needs more and deeper mechanics that give the player stuff to do without getting tedious.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/8/2017 5:42:16 PM   
makasouleater69

Never mind take it back. They updated stellaris and broke the game, making AI not attack any one.

< Message edited by makasouleater69 -- 5/12/2017 12:25:47 AM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 33
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/8/2017 6:52:58 PM   
Edmesa

Ive played both games and i prefer Distant Worlds over Stellaris. My biggest gripe with Stellaris is all the artificial limits they put in, which in my opinion limits the replay value because there arent many ways around those limits. Another grip is that for a grand strategy game it requires a lot of micromanagement, im not against micromanagement as i play DW with very little automation but i do wonder where the grand strategy comes in when i usually have one or two big fleets primary for war and a couple small fleets for scouting, pirate and space creature management. Im not saying Stellaris is crap, but it falls short of its full potential as grand strategy and 4x game.

(in reply to makasouleater69)
Post #: 34
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/10/2017 4:29:46 PM   
noego

Like fluff and graphics? Go Stellaris.

Want a deeper game that feels more immersive if not for graphics? Go DW.

Neither convinces you? Wait a couple of years for a bunch more Stellaris DLC and DW2.

(Please not a couple of years on DW2 though? Pretty please with a cherty on top?)

(in reply to Edmesa)
Post #: 35
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/10/2017 4:41:38 PM   
noego

To be fair there is one thing that Stellaris does a billion times better than DW. The music.

DAT SOUNDTRACK, my fave ever in a game.

(in reply to noego)
Post #: 36
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/10/2017 5:06:54 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

in my opinion the soundtrack in a "space-4x" is totally useless..

my 2 cents.

(in reply to noego)
Post #: 37
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/11/2017 2:30:08 AM   
Cauldyth

How can you hear music in space?!

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 38
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/11/2017 2:52:16 AM   
Overlord015

I'm still on the fence about getting into Stellaris, mostly because of how combat and the economy (logistics) are handled. I just want a Distant Worlds-like handling of the economy and logistics (real time as well), Aurora-like combat (god that sensor and fog of war system, why don't others do this!?)and ship design (maybe simplified in some regards), Stellaris like immersion, and finally, ground combat that looks like this: https://scontent.fsig2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/11888559_965945120133947_2773939532810974537_o.jpg?oh=6e9504162404b0d1657751728850813b&oe=597AC22B Oh! And the ability to have multiple factions colonize and inhabit single planets.

< Message edited by Overlord015 -- 5/11/2017 2:56:12 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 39
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/11/2017 9:14:37 AM   
Lucian

quote:

ORIGINAL: noego

To be fair there is one thing that Stellaris does a billion times better than DW. The music.

DAT SOUNDTRACK, my fave ever in a game.

Very true, there's one relentlessly screechy violin track in DW that makes my want to rip my ears off.

(in reply to noego)
Post #: 40
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/11/2017 12:09:44 PM   
Dipluz

tbh Soundtrack nah dosen't matter I watch like a sci-fi show or a movie while playing. Stellaris is a game that is 2-3 years away from beeing developed on a level of Distant Worlds. Though Distant Worlds falls short on modding support and a active community, though in which is explainable considering the age of the game. Multiplayer is a gimmick in Stellaris. its a little bit fun with that buddy of yours. Combat in Stellaris is utterly ****. there is no tactic to the game. its so dumbed down it becomes stupid at one point. I have like 20 mods to my Stellaris games to have some content to the game. all this talk about DW I kinda wanna start a new DW game hehe.

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 41
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/12/2017 12:26:55 AM   
makasouleater69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmesa

Ive played both games and i prefer Distant Worlds over Stellaris. My biggest gripe with Stellaris is all the artificial limits they put in, which in my opinion limits the replay value because there arent many ways around those limits. Another grip is that for a grand strategy game it requires a lot of micromanagement, im not against micromanagement as i play DW with very little automation but i do wonder where the grand strategy comes in when i usually have one or two big fleets primary for war and a couple small fleets for scouting, pirate and space creature management. Im not saying Stellaris is crap, but it falls short of its full potential as grand strategy and 4x game.

Very true, Stellaris gets boring after one or 2 play through.

(in reply to Edmesa)
Post #: 42
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/12/2017 10:34:37 AM   
makasouleater69

Now that I have distant worlds with a fresh play, I am gonna say stellaris only has one thing better, graphics which are almost meaningless in a game like this, 90 percent of the time is spent in the zoomed out map so. Also the company that runs it, has no idea how to do patches, they throw patches out cause massive bugs, and then patch that to create more bugs. The Ai is really bad in Stellaris also, to the point where they are basically useless. There are no moving planets or anything in stellaris either so it really kills the immersion. Once you hit end game in stellaris also, even with a super computer it will skip bad if you have more than 500 stars. The game starting options are piss poor too, you need 10 mods to even come close to the options distant worlds has. I want to add in also, the economy of distant world is 100 times better than stellaris, in stellaris, it is real basic like monopoly JR, there is almost no point to it. You can get mods to make it better, but even those mods dont near the gap to distant worlds.

To sum up, playing stellaris I feel like I am a puppet master controlling a bunch of mindless slaves. Distant world makes me feel like I am a leader of a living empire, that just needs my direction, not me holding their hand telling them what to do every 1 second.

< Message edited by makasouleater69 -- 5/12/2017 1:18:26 PM >

(in reply to DeadlyShoe)
Post #: 43
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/12/2017 12:12:39 PM   
makasouleater69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dipluz

tbh Soundtrack nah dosen't matter I watch like a sci-fi show or a movie while playing. Stellaris is a game that is 2-3 years away from beeing developed on a level of Distant Worlds. Though Distant Worlds falls short on modding support and a active community, though in which is explainable considering the age of the game. Multiplayer is a gimmick in Stellaris. its a little bit fun with that buddy of yours. Combat in Stellaris is utterly ****. there is no tactic to the game. its so dumbed down it becomes stupid at one point. I have like 20 mods to my Stellaris games to have some content to the game. all this talk about DW I kinda wanna start a new DW game hehe.

It made me uninstall stellaris, and delete it from my account lol. Now that i recall my distant worlds, I dono what ever made me go to stellaris, feel victim to the hype i suppose, i feel slightly retarded :)

(in reply to Dipluz)
Post #: 44
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/13/2017 2:24:38 PM   
Japhet

Stellaris is actually quite fun for the first hour when you are in the exploration phase of the game. But once you start colonizing planets, get in contact with other empires, etc., the game gets really boring and tedious. And quite frankly, I don't think Stellaris will ever be "good", even after a bunch of new dlcs and patches.

(in reply to makasouleater69)
Post #: 45
RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris - 5/13/2017 4:43:29 PM   
Bingeling

I signed up for the monthly deal at Humble Bundle and got Stellaris yesterday. I would not exactly say that the first hour is fun, but it could be that it becomes fun after a few more. My hype meter did not show any sign of movement before starting the game, though.

I did not particularly want the game, but $12 for that game, and a bunch more in early June, felt like a good deal. Building a mine, and magically get some kind of resource feels just wrong.

Even if I love this game, I do not in particular want to play 4X games, so I picked it up mostly due to being cheap, and being from the company that brought me EU2...

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 5/13/2017 4:44:01 PM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds or Stellaris Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI