Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 9:43:12 PM   
Orm

For trade with Japan there is the special trade rule I that I recommended that you read. Basically it says that USA must provide convoy points for four sea areas between USA and Japan. While Japan provides the convoys for the last sea area. The total number of resources (including oil) and build points traded is 5 so you need to place 5 convoy points in each of those sea areas. There is a very hefty penalty for the nation who is in breech of this.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 691
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 9:52:38 PM   
IBender

This is really really helpful thank you very much.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 692
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 9:54:52 PM   
Orm

That covers all the trade. Now take a look at the resources, including oil, that US controls. You can do that by clicking on info and open the production planning form. Here all the resources that US has are shown and the traded ones will be shown as well.

You will note that USA only controls two resources that are outside mainland USA. One in Alaska and one in Philippines.

If there was a railroad from the oil in Alaska that went straight to a factory in USA there would be no need for a convoy. But there isn't. So you need to transport it by sea. But fortunately the Canadian ports and railroad system is open to US so you can use that for the final route. So the Alaskan oil only needs one convoy point in one sea area for it to reach USA.

And now there is only the Philippines resource left. Unfortunately you do not have enough convoy points to get that resource to USA. This because 20 convoy points are tied up with the trade with Japan. You can either ignore this resource. Or you can during the course of the game establish a convoy chain to USA although not many do so. Or you can at some point establish trade with China and then use two convoy points to transport this resource to China. Provided that the 'Burma road' is open. But this has some prerequisites so I suggest you ask again when you are at that point.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 10/22/2016 9:55:26 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 693
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:02:35 PM   
Orm

Easiest way to place convoys and get a overview is to use the Global Map so I recommend you toggle it on. In the picture below I have zoomed it out. Note that you can change the nation whose convoys you want shown.

In the picture I have made a 'standard' US convoy placement with 3 convoy points remaining. Two of them can be placed at sea and then sail towards Philippines if you go for the option of sending the resource to China. Although it is not uncommon for Japan to try and stop this by isolating China.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 694
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:06:06 PM   
Orm

If the convoy markers are not the right size then you can change their size. Either by joining all the convoys in the same stack or sea area. Or you can split them. You do this by 'right clicking' on the convoy marker and select 'naval units' and then split or merge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 695
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:14:14 PM   
IBender

Wow, again this is awesome. Helps a lot to have someone explain it in addition to reading it in the manual. Really appreciate it. I bought two copies of the game, one for me and one for my son. We are both trying to learn it together and we appreciate your response.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 696
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:14:35 PM   
Orm

If you want to take a look on the initial convoy routing for the CW AIO then here is the link. This is also done for all the major powers. With lots of pictures.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=978889&mpage=10&key=Brittish%2CConvoys%2Cplans%2Croutes%2CGlobal%2Cwar�

The AIO threads are full of interesting information although some of them are quite long. But below is a link to where you can find all of the AI discussions.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3472975

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 697
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:15:31 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

Wow, again this is awesome. Helps a lot to have someone explain it in addition to reading it in the manual. Really appreciate it. I bought two copies of the game, one for me and one for my son. We are both trying to learn it together and we appreciate your response.

I am just glad to be of assistance.

Anything more you can think of asking at the moment?

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 698
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:21:21 PM   
Orm

Just for fun. Here is picture 'active' Allied (France and CW) convoys in my current game. It is a mess although I am working on fixing it. The mean Axis are way to good to mess up my routes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 699
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/22/2016 10:23:18 PM   
Orm

quote:

I am glad that you are able to play with your son.

Have you tried playing any of the two scenarios yet?

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 700
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/23/2016 1:40:14 AM   
IBender

I have played Barbarossa a few times and feel comfortable with most of it. Guadacanal I am not liking much as it sorta jumps into the fight. So I have moved over to setting up for the global fight. That is making much more sense in my mind so its good move. I am sure much of what I am setting up is wrong and that is ok, as it is forcing me to think things through and learn bits at a time. Like right now I am just going through global set up with 2 goals in mind. 1. Understand convoys for each nation and 2. Get a feel for what units each country has and where/ about where they set up. I am enjoying it a lot. We will see where that goes from there. I might after this move back to guadacanal...not sure. Thanks for all the help its was great. I am sure I will post here again soon.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 701
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/23/2016 9:56:32 AM   
juntoalmar

Hi Azorn01,

Moving directly to Global War may be a good option for you, if you feel like that. Although, at some point you will get puzzled regarding naval combat and strategies. It may be the right moment to start a quick Guadalcanal just to practice all related to naval action, and review the rules on that, without all the mess of land operations in Europe.

This is a great game, specially when you are playing the big picture in Global War. It may take some time to learn how to play it, but I'm pretty sure you can spend great time playing with your son.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 702
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/23/2016 10:35:44 PM   
IBender

If I double left click on an empty sea hex, I can then move the mouse over a group of ships and see the 'naval review details' chart. The tutorial video says if I then left click on a port it will lock the naval review details chart so I can work with it. However, left clicking on that port doesnt seem to do anything, it seems to select a unit. fyi, I am trying to do this during the naval movement part of the turn so maybe that makes a difference..or not. Thanks for help with this.

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 703
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/24/2016 7:35:48 AM   
paulderynck

The naval review details (NRD) form is tricky because as soon as you move the mouse you often mouse over a port or a sea zone and the information changes to that port or sea zone. But then when you mouse over to the form to work with those units, it changes again as the mouse moves.

So this is what you do: Once you see the units you are interested in, in the NRD, then right click. This then allows you to move the mouse to that form while keeping all those units on it.

Also - look carefully at all the filter button choices on the NRD, FREx the best way to toggle through all your naval units still in port is to select ports and the Next and Previous as needed. Note too that here is a separate button to show Subs.

As for left clicking, that only selects a single unit on top of a stack. You can either select ships using the NRD as I described - or my preferred method is to CTRL-left-click on a port where there are lots of naval units. That brings up a form where you can decide which units will move together and which will stay behind, as well as giving you options to load your transports and amphibs.

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 704
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/25/2016 2:48:21 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

OK, then it was clearly a mistake of the RAW7, one that wasn't even questioned for clarification in the FAQ.

I recently started playing a new RAW7 Vassal game with some gentlemen who had been playing together awhile and I was surprised when they checked who had been active when it got to RTBing - because my local group and I had always played it as initiative first for both stay-at-sea and RTB. But when they point you to the place in the rules where it precisely supports what they are doing, then claiming it's an oversight or a typo really doesn't trump the written rule. No doubt many others play it as written.

Sure, and in those cases you simply have tyo abide the wording or ask for a Clarification or both.

I was "analysing" it at the ligth of 8.x rulesets...

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 705
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2016 2:51:48 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

The naval review details (NRD) form is tricky because as soon as you move the mouse you often mouse over a port or a sea zone and the information changes to that port or sea zone. But then when you mouse over to the form to work with those units, it changes again as the mouse moves.

So this is what you do: Once you see the units you are interested in, in the NRD, then right click. This then allows you to move the mouse to that form while keeping all those units on it.

Also - look carefully at all the filter button choices on the NRD, FREx the best way to toggle through all your naval units still in port is to select ports and the Next and Previous as needed. Note too that here is a separate button to show Subs.

As for left clicking, that only selects a single unit on top of a stack. You can either select ships using the NRD as I described - or my preferred method is to CTRL-left-click on a port where there are lots of naval units. That brings up a form where you can decide which units will move together and which will stay behind, as well as giving you options to load your transports and amphibs.

Yes.

I also recommend bringing up the Naval Review Summary form along side the NRD. Then you can select a port or sea area on the NRS form and have all the units show up in the NRD form for a more detailed examination.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 706
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/8/2016 10:42:13 PM   
IBender

I am unclear on what it takes to conquer a country. I didnt think of it with regards to europe but china confuses me and is where I am first really thinking of it. Two part question...

a. Where in the rules does it explain conquering a country?

b. With regards to china, I am unclear on what the chinese are trying to protect and frankly setting up the japan is really confusing. I dont understand what they are trying to capture and why? So I guess this question is what does it take for japan to conquer china?

All of this leads into yet another topic which is...why does japan even want to capture china? What is it really getting out of this? Are the resources and factories found in china worth the effort?

Thank you

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 707
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/9/2016 9:35:52 AM   
paulderynck

RAC section 13.7 covers conquest. Bottom line is you have to take all the factory cities. (For major powers, the capital of the home country is always a factory city as well, but there may be minor powers where you may need to take the capital as well as all factories.)

Japan needs the resources and factories it already has in China and would like more to help to ensure all her factories are producing. Japan can be passive toward China but then it will eventually grow into a monster that will crush the Japanese land army there - often because by then Japan will be too busy taking Naval and Combined actions to fend off the USA and will be unable to move large numbers of troops with a Land action.

So it is in Japan's best interest to hurt China as much as possible early in the game. Conquering it is tough but if you can reduce China to only Chungking and one other working factory, then it will take Chna a long time to be much of a threat.

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 708
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/9/2016 1:48:27 PM   
Centuur

Also, I tend to concentrate on either the Nationalists or the Communists. That is because of the fact that if there are no cities available for one of the two Chinese factions, the units of that faction (while still being build), cannot arrive on the map until that faction controls a city again (and they cannot get cities from the other Chinese factions. That faction has either to move a unit controlled by that faction into that city or wait for another major power to liberate a city from the Japanese, after which that major power decides whether that city becomes nationalist or communist).

< Message edited by Centuur -- 11/9/2016 1:49:51 PM >

Peter

Post #: 709
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/10/2016 7:22:45 AM   
Joseignacio

In the case of China it can vary hugely from the tabletop game, and I have few experience with China in MWIF yet...

... but in the tabletop, the reward for the investment you need to do in units, type of movement (land/combined), ..., against what you can do and defend conquering and defending the Pacific and the Indian Ocean areas is not worth it once you take one or two resorces that are at hand. Mainly like it happens in Russia unless you do an early and succesful Barbarossa.

After that, you can make occasional attacks but it¡s better to focus somewhere else. Besides, when Chinese are weak (per rules) unless by the coast and in this case there is the Japanese Navy...

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 710
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/13/2016 2:14:46 AM   
IBender

This has all be very helpful. I feel I understand things better, thanks for all your answers. Time now for some new questions:

1. The 2 D 10 Land combat results chart is at the end of RAC, but is it anywhere else more convenient? I am surprised its not under help menu?

2. When my game is loaded and playing there is a chart in the top right that is labeled M V It seems to list regions/ areas and is clickable. I cant stand this thing, it over hangs the map in an annoying manner and I cant seem to get rid of it. I click it shut all the time and it just re appears. I move it to the other monitor and it keeps returning to over hang and cover part of the map. What can I do? Its driving me nuts.

3. I havent read much about oil, just some of the basics, but I am curious about where to put them on the map. Where should they go? For example, why not put them all into the deepest darkest part of your country? Or do they need to be in a port? Is there a range on them or something?

4. Can ships remain at sea and just keep moving. Ie a ship has 4 movement points and a range of 3. Can I move 3 from port, then later move it another 3 etc, and go around the world for example? Or is the range of 3 the range from port, before it needs to return to port. Hope that makes sense?

5. I am comfortable using ships to move troops. 2 things are giving me problems or confusion. First, amphibious invasion. I have read the rules on it, but I am still a little unclear on calculating everything involved. Are there any clear charts on this? What is a good way to learn amphibious invasion? Second, the global game begins. England loads 2 corps and ....while I can move them to sea, I cant seem to land them in France. The targeting reticle turns to an X.

6. Air transport. I havent given it much though yet, but the rules seem to explain how they move units, (havent gotten into it really) but I thought I saw something somewhere regarding 2 other things they can / might be able to do. a. keep a unit supplied and b. reorganize a unit? I might be confused, just thought I saw something regarding this. Quest is...can they do that sort of thing if so where are the rules for it?

7. Scrapping units, I am a little unclear on what to scrap and why even scrap anything. In various AARs people scrap or dont scrap a number / variety of things and I cant really figure out why? What does scrapping really do for me and how should I determine what to scrap?

8. Last one for today. "Call our the reserves" When war breaks out you are given the choice to call out the reserves Choose Yes or No. Why would you ever choose No?

Thanks a bunch guys. Loven the help and game

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 711
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/13/2016 3:24:51 AM   
paulderynck

1. It's been that way since publication. You can always have a PDF of it one click away on the taskbar.

2. It's the Map View list and can be quite useful. You can't eliminate it completely and it's a bit of work to make it smaller and/or locate it permanently out of the way (because it has to be redefined and saved for all the major powers). Suggest you read 8.4.3 of the Players Manual (pg.171 -172) and 8.6 (pg. 185-190).

3. Deepest darkest part works and is a reasonable idea as long as there's a rail link. If you anticipate a pocket of oil dependent units might be created through enemy action at some future point then you may want to store oil in the anticipated pocket. If new to the game, suggest you play without the oil option until you know the game better.

4. No, they only move out. Later on they could move back to port with another naval move or can be designated to return to base at the end of the turn.

5. No summary chart I can think of. Read about weather effects (in section 8 of Rules as coded [RAC]), notionals and invasions (in section 11 of RAC). For the problem with France read about Foreign Troop Commitment under Co-operation (section 18 of RAC).

6. They can't really supply units, but the mission you can fly with them to re-organize units is called that. (section 11.18 of RAC). They can also air transport units (11.12) and drop paratroops (11.15).

7. After you've played a bit you'll recognize which units are "crappy" units, but generally they'll have low combat values if land or air units or low range values if naval units. The later year units get better and better and since you draw randomly from your force pool when you build units, you'll get to the point where you'd rather not have the unit than chance building it.

8. They can come out in later DoW phases if you don't place them all. Some players keep a good unit or two back in case the enemy gains a big breakthrough. But in general, you place them all.

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 712
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/13/2016 6:16:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

This has all be very helpful. I feel I understand things better, thanks for all your answers. Time now for some new questions:

1. The 2 D 10 Land combat results chart is at the end of RAC, but is it anywhere else more convenient? I am surprised its not under help menu?

2. When my game is loaded and playing there is a chart in the top right that is labeled M V It seems to list regions/ areas and is clickable. I cant stand this thing, it over hangs the map in an annoying manner and I cant seem to get rid of it. I click it shut all the time and it just re appears. I move it to the other monitor and it keeps returning to over hang and cover part of the map. What can I do? Its driving me nuts.

3. I havent read much about oil, just some of the basics, but I am curious about where to put them on the map. Where should they go? For example, why not put them all into the deepest darkest part of your country? Or do they need to be in a port? Is there a range on them or something?

4. Can ships remain at sea and just keep moving. Ie a ship has 4 movement points and a range of 3. Can I move 3 from port, then later move it another 3 etc, and go around the world for example? Or is the range of 3 the range from port, before it needs to return to port. Hope that makes sense?

5. I am comfortable using ships to move troops. 2 things are giving me problems or confusion. First, amphibious invasion. I have read the rules on it, but I am still a little unclear on calculating everything involved. Are there any clear charts on this? What is a good way to learn amphibious invasion? Second, the global game begins. England loads 2 corps and ....while I can move them to sea, I cant seem to land them in France. The targeting reticle turns to an X.

6. Air transport. I havent given it much though yet, but the rules seem to explain how they move units, (havent gotten into it really) but I thought I saw something somewhere regarding 2 other things they can / might be able to do. a. keep a unit supplied and b. reorganize a unit? I might be confused, just thought I saw something regarding this. Quest is...can they do that sort of thing if so where are the rules for it?

7. Scrapping units, I am a little unclear on what to scrap and why even scrap anything. In various AARs people scrap or dont scrap a number / variety of things and I cant really figure out why? What does scrapping really do for me and how should I determine what to scrap?

8. Last one for today. "Call our the reserves" When war breaks out you are given the choice to call out the reserves Choose Yes or No. Why would you ever choose No?

Thanks a bunch guys. Loven the help and game

#7 Why to scrap:

New units are selected randomly from the pool of available units. So if you are placing 3 infantry on the map and there are 10 available in the infantry pool, you get 3 random units from the pool of 10. If prior to the selection process (and this applies to building new units as well as the units you get at the start of the game) you scrap, say, 4 poorer units, then the 3 selected units are randomly drawn from the pool of 6 units - the 6 best of the original 10.

But scrapped units never return to the game. So, the USSR has to consider carefully which infantry units to scrap, because they might want all the possible infantry units when Germany invades.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/13/2016 6:17:30 PM >

Steve

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 713
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/13/2016 10:04:27 PM   
IBender

Thanks for the info very helpful.

Question regarding now a practice game for me. Its Nov/Dec 1939. The Russians have the BB Marat at sea in the Baltic Sea. All the Russian ports are frozen closed and the game wont let me choose to keep it at Sea. I am guessing because its supplies are cut off or something like it. But the real issue for me is ....the game wont let me keep it at sea, and it wont let me put it back into any Russian port. I / the game seem to be stuck. I cant move past this point? Cannot keep playing.

a. Am I doing something wrong?
b. What do you know about this? Is it a bug or something?
c. Does this mean I need to restart the game and avoid moving russian ships out in the winter?

Thanks

Post #: 714
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 12:23:11 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Question regarding now a practice game for me. Its Nov/Dec 1939. The Russians have the BB Marat at sea in the Baltic Sea. All the Russian ports are frozen closed and the game wont let me choose to keep it at Sea. I am guessing because its supplies are cut off or something like it. But the real issue for me is ....the game wont let me keep it at sea, and it wont let me put it back into any Russian port. I / the game seem to be stuck. I cant move past this point? Cannot keep playing.

c. Does this mean I need to restart the game and avoid moving russian ships out in the winter?

Thanks

Neutral major powers must return their non-convoy naval units to port at the end of the turn.

There should be an available port. Perhaps Murmansk (Global War) or Hanko (Barbarossa)?

Steve

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 715
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 1:49:52 AM   
IBender

I will keep looking for aport that it can enter..no luck yet. However you prompted me to check on the rules and it seems that it "is" possible for a ship to not return to port..for various reasons. It mentions destroying the ship in that case. How does one go about destroying the ship?

"Destroy any unit at sea that couldn’t have returned to base (even if it could stay at sea. Clarification: Infinite naval units may remain at sea provided at least 1 space (i.e., at a minor port) is available to which they could have returned to base."

Post #: 716
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 1:55:41 AM   
IBender

Infact I think i am on the right track. When I select a russian ship in black sea and chose Command > Show Valid Moves, it shows me a list of ports where that ship can go to. The BB in the Baltic shows "No Valid Moves"

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 717
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 5:03:15 AM   
Orm

IIRC, you destroy a ship by holding it and then press backspace.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 718
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 5:11:46 AM   
Orm

quote:

Thanks

If USSR has occupied the Baltic States they get one ice free port in the Baltic. And if USS has demanded, and gotten, the Finnish Borderlands they get access to a second icefree port.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 719
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 5:15:21 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Thanks

Neutral major powers must return their non-convoy naval units to port at the end of the turn.

There should be an available port. Perhaps Murmansk (Global War) or Hanko (Barbarossa)?

USSR ships can normally not return to Murmansk, even if they are allowed to leave the Baltic, from the Baltic Sea. This because range, or speed, limitations.

Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI