Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brimstone and Mald J

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Brimstone and Mald J Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brimstone and Mald J - 11/16/2016 1:23:31 AM   
BillSirKill

I've read up on these (Brimstone and Mald J).. but don't understand how they are used.. can someone give me the quick run down..
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Brimstone and Mald J - 11/16/2016 2:10:47 AM   
kevinkins

Hi there ... do you mean how they are deployed within the Command sim? MALD is a flying decoy that is launched usually at SAM sites/ships. To use, I select Unit Orders > Attack Options > Select Targets > Manual and take it from there. These are - as you have read - part of a tactic to saturate and overwhelm enemy sensors and defense missiles so your friendly payloads hit their aim points. It takes practice using the editor to get a feel of their capabilities in helping to take out something like a Russian S-400 Bn. It helps if everything arrives at the target simultaneously. That means you have to figure the time-distance-fuel problem to coordinate your strike.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 11/16/2016 2:13:48 AM >

(in reply to BillSirKill)
Post #: 2
RE: Brimstone and Mald J - 11/16/2016 2:17:22 AM   
mikmykWS

Brimstone designed as a tank killer similar to hellfire but has been useful plinking terrorists. Small missile, shorter range putting you in shorad range but very accurate.

MALD-J is the evolution of the TALD and MALD decoys that adds a jammer. BOL launch and turn jammers on.

Mike

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 3
RE: Brimstone and Mald J - 11/16/2016 2:25:18 AM   
BillSirKill

WOW.. You guys are great... you're amazing at not only developing..but also .. support..
Love the sim

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Brimstone and Mald J - 11/19/2016 6:38:39 PM   
Gneckes

Brimstone also has the ability to coordinate with other missiles in the same salvo when fired at e.g. a convoy.

(in reply to BillSirKill)
Post #: 5
RE: Brimstone and Mald J - 12/5/2016 1:20:48 PM   
butch4343

BillSirKill,

A bit more meat on the bones about Brimstone if you like, Brimstone was developed in the 1990s, it was borne out of the need to improve the survivability of attack aircraft against armour on the battlefield. In the 1960s NATO aircraft were equipped primarily with rocket pods for use against armour, certainly in RAF Germany that was the case, and these generally required the delivery aircraft to complete a pop up manoeuvre exposing it to enemy fire.

Studies showed that a low altitude attack with cluster bombs (CBU) offered increase survivability and many European air forces adopted either the British BL-755 or the US Rockeye CBU. A further study in the 1980s showed an A10 with 4 CBU's had a 1% chance of knocking out a tank with a one pass attack. (If anyone has a source for this I would be grateful for the link :-))

In the mid 1980s the NATO countries tried to find a common solution to the problem of hitting armour and failed to agree, the UK decided to pursue a true standoff anti-armour weapon capable of hitting targets in all weathers (Interestingly the US developed the BLU/108 Sensor Fused Weapon for the same reason). The MOD started with the basic hellfire ATGM, with the intention of merely changing the seeker, they wanted to replace the laser guidance of the hellfire with a millimetre seeker to take care of the crummy European weather. They wanted the standoff range of the hellfire to keep the launch aircraft away from battlefield SHORAD systems and the weapon had to be highly autonomous (I don’t think CMANO gives the option of BOL, but it should), as it was intended to be used primarily on single seaters. (Harrier, Jaguar and Typhoon) IIRC a four ship attack would score something like 21 kills from 24 brimstones.
Brimstone was designed so that it would ignore targets outwith or within a geographical area, and would disregard certain types of targets (Ignoring trucks and APCs and targeting specifically MBTs for example).
The cold war ended and as a result Brimstones development was dragged out, it entered service in the mid 2000s, the NATO experience over Kosovo reinforcing the need for an all-weather anti-armour weapon. Brimstone 1 was used in both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, it was highly regarded due to its precision and its lighter warhead meant lower collateral damage where that was a huge concern for NATO, its delivery mode could be tailored for the situation, example, to knock down a compound wall, a “flat” delivery would be employed, or if you want to eliminate insurgents in one compound only, then a vertical attack could be employed. In the end it was Tornado that ended up carrying the Brimstone.
In 2008 a laser guidance capability was added under Dual-Mode Brimstone, this allowed aircrew to manually guide brimstone to the target. This again enhanced the weapons use in the desert wars we have fought.
Brimstone 2 is in effect the next variant of Brimstone, that further enhances all the features both variants, and it will involve rebuilding all Brimstones to a common standard.
Ironically after arguing that brimstone would be a little changed version of Hellfire, it turns out only the fin assemblies bare any commonality!

There’s more on it here
http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/uk-complex-weapons/brimstone/#Dual_Mode_Brimstone

Enjoy!

(in reply to Gneckes)
Post #: 6
RE: Brimstone and Mald J - 2/24/2017 1:26:09 AM   
magi

^^^ very nice post Butch …

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Brimstone and Mald J Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI