Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternate turns?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Alternate turns? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternate turns? - 11/19/2016 12:16:24 PM   
FelixPraedo

Hi Everybody!

Love the game! A bit puzzled why the turns are alternate; this speeds up the game a bit to much I think.
Was mightily confused for a while too when I noticed I always skipped a turn before I finally found out that I did not get to play every turn but only alternate turns. Could have stated it more clearly in the manual IMHO. Is it possible to make this selectable - alternate/simultanuous? I think the action points and distances moved are actually better suited to the 7, 11 and 21 days a turn for both players anyways..

Cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/19/2016 4:19:20 PM   
Grotius

I'm confused -- what does "alternate" turns mean in this game, exactly? I take my turn on Sept 1, and my opponent takes his turn on Sept 8? Or does it just mean I Go, You Go, both on Sept 1?

Also, I noticed something in the manual about choosing between alternate and simultaneous turns -- maybe I was reading about this in the editor?

(in reply to FelixPraedo)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/19/2016 4:26:30 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I'm confused -- what does "alternate" turns mean in this game, exactly? I take my turn on Sept 1, and my opponent takes his turn on Sept 8 Or does it just mean I Go, You Go, both on Sept 1?

Also, I noticed something in the manual about choosing between alternate and simultaneous turns -- maybe I was reading about this in the editor?

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 11/19/2016 4:28:00 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/19/2016 4:33:52 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: FelixPraedo

Hi Everybody!

Love the game! A bit puzzled why the turns are alternate; this speeds up the game a bit to much I think.
Was mightily confused for a while too when I noticed I always skipped a turn before I finally found out that I did not get to play every turn but only alternate turns. Could have stated it more clearly in the manual IMHO. Is it possible to make this selectable - alternate/simultanuous? I think the action points and distances moved are actually better suited to the 7, 11 and 21 days a turn for both players anyways..

Cheers!

Wow, I didn't notice this but you are right. I thought the turns varied in length... never paid attention to the date during the enemy turn. Doesn't make sense that only one side moves during a "turn". But maybe in reality turns are one month and the dates are just fluff. But some effects happen in both turns. Very curious.

I would tend to agree, w/o more insight, that the alternating turns speed things up too much. My conquest of France has taken me three turns, which means I'm into July instead of mid-June (historical) were I able to move every turn.

Post #: 4
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 6:43:39 AM   
FelixPraedo

Thanks for the feedback guys!

quote:

I'm confused -- what does "alternate" turns mean in this game, exactly? I take my turn on Sept 1, and my opponent takes his turn on Sept 8? Or does it just mean I Go, You Go, both on Sept 1?

Alternate does indeed mean that the Axis does it's first turn on september 1 and then the Allies do their turn on september 12 etc...
It confused me but it's the way the game was designed I suppose and now that I know this I can live with it and enjoy the game!

quote:

Wow, I didn't notice this but you are right. I thought the turns varied in length... never paid attention to the date during the enemy turn. Doesn't make sense that only one side moves during a "turn". But maybe in reality turns are one month and the dates are just fluff. But some effects happen in both turns. Very curious.

I would tend to agree, w/o more insight, that the alternating turns speed things up too much. My conquest of France has taken me three turns, which means I'm into July instead of mid-June (historical) were I able to move every turn.

The game as it is is very fast paced. I have now found out that editor has many options to slow the pace down though: simultanious turns, changing the number of days a tutn takes etc.
Once I have played all the scenarios as they are now I will go ahead and make my own - slower paced - scenarios.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 12:50:41 PM   
pzgndr

The editor has options to set alternate turns on or off. Turns may be set to be seasonal or fixed length. The original SC1 had alternating seasonal turns, shorter in summer and longer in winter. That provided an interesting pace of operations. Personally, I prefer simultaneous fixed turns for both sides. Players can edit the default campaigns if they want, just be aware how different turns would affect the economics. But hey, that's the great thing about this editor and the flexibility it provides!

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

Post #: 6
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 2:12:52 PM   
FelixPraedo

quote:

The editor has options to set alternate turns on or off. Turns may be set to be seasonal or fixed length. The original SC1 had alternating seasonal turns, shorter in summer and longer in winter. That provided an interesting pace of operations. Personally, I prefer simultaneous fixed turns for both sides. Players can edit the default campaigns if they want, just be aware how different turns would affect the economics. But hey, that's the great thing about this editor and the flexibility it provides!

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Thx for the feedback Bill
Already making plans for a edited campaign. All kinds of interesting challenges off course, double the turns means double the MMP's so either I'll either double the MMP price of units or turn corps into divisions and armies into corps the possibilities are endless...
Also pondering the possibilities of a Napoleonic game (turning aircraft into light cavalry maybe?)
For now just playing the standard scenarios and learning the game,
getting ready for multiplayer!

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 7
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 2:25:28 PM   
jimkehn

Guys lets not get bogged down in this. For one I am on turn two German turn (not my first campaign.....got my butt handed to me my first one). It is September 15, 1939. My first turn, obviously was Sep 1, 1939. The British took its turn on Sep 8, 1939. Now, if I remember correctly, the Europa series was resolved in two week turns......TSR/SPI's WWII was resolved in Monthly turns. The point is, just think of this game (SC3) as being resolved much like Europa in two week turns. You take a turn every two weeks. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the end, does it, if some graphic on the screen shows a different date while your opponent moves than it did when you moved. I think we would all get more enjoyment from a game if we don't create a problem where none exists. :)
Enjoy!!I know I will.

Post #: 8
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 2:41:11 PM   
FelixPraedo

quote:

Guys lets not get bogged down in this. For one I am on turn two German turn (not my first campaign.....got my butt handed to me my first one). It is September 15, 1939. My first turn, obviously was Sep 1, 1939. The British took its turn on Sep 8, 1939. Now, if I remember correctly, the Europa series was resolved in two week turns......TSR/SPI's WWII was resolved in Monthly turns. The point is, just think of this game (SC3) as being resolved much like Europa in two week turns. You take a turn every two weeks. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the end, does it, if some graphic on the screen shows a different date while your opponent moves than it did when you moved. I think we would all get more enjoyment from a game if we don't create a problem where none exists. :)
Enjoy!!I know I will.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the game as it is and I am on my way to Paris in May 1940!
But I like the engine and the AI so much that I am getting way ahead of myself and dreaming up new scenarios and campaigns already!
Have fun!

(in reply to jimkehn)
Post #: 9
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 2:46:10 PM   
jimkehn

LOL Felix!! Can wait to see what can all be done with this system....Bring on the whole world!!

Post #: 10
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 4:21:36 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JimKehn

Enjoy!!I know I will.

Not getting bogged down, it's just an odd convention to advance the date before both sides have taken their turn. Nonetheless, as you've noted, if it's just semantics it really makes no difference (just 2-week turns instead of 1).

Yet I haven't seen a German conquest of France and the Low Countries by mid-ish June so far, which was the historical time. Perhaps it can be done that fast as is -- I haven't seen all the AARs and vids yet. But the game is fine as is. Just something to wonder about.

(in reply to jimkehn)
Post #: 11
RE: Alternate turns? - 11/20/2016 5:07:35 PM   
sPzAbt653

It's actually a brilliant idea. I wonder who came up with the concept ?

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Alternate turns? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI