Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whatcah gonna get?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Whatcah gonna get? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whatcah gonna get? - 11/20/2016 9:08:41 PM   
aaatoysandmore

So, what game or games are you hoping for this holiday season or what are you going to buy for yourself anyways and why?
Post #: 1
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/20/2016 9:47:07 PM   
Gilmer

I'm thinking of getting.

Schwerpunkts World War II Europe.
And CMANO

I like the look of both. I have wanted CMANO for awhile, but always talked myself out of spending the money.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/20/2016 10:13:07 PM   
Ranger33

I've really slowed down on acquiring PC games at the moment, I have too many as it is. Though if there is a really good sale on Total War: Warhammer or a few other games on my wishlist, I might pick them up.

I am looking forward to the release of Comancheria from GMT Games. Should be a rather epic solo board game to tackle over the cold months. It has you controlling the Comanche tribe over the course of almost two hundred years, dealing with war, culture, technology, etc. The same developer did Navajo Wars, a somewhat similar game, and it has rave reviews but isn't in print for the foreseeable future.

I think I may want to get a VR headset of some variety, but still doing research on that.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/20/2016 10:43:10 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

I've really slowed down on acquiring PC games at the moment, I have too many as it is. Though if there is a really good sale on Total War: Warhammer or a few other games on my wishlist, I might pick them up.

I am looking forward to the release of Comancheria from GMT Games. Should be a rather epic solo board game to tackle over the cold months. It has you controlling the Comanche tribe over the course of almost two hundred years, dealing with war, culture, technology, etc. The same developer did Navajo Wars, a somewhat similar game, and it has rave reviews but isn't in print for the foreseeable future.

I think I may want to get a VR headset of some variety, but still doing research on that.

That does sound interesting. I don't usually play board games, but I've been kind of thinking of getting into them.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 4
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/20/2016 11:29:16 PM   
Ranger33

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

quote:

That does sound interesting. I don't usually play board games, but I've been kind of thinking of getting into them.

PM me if you want some suggestions, there are literally thousands of games out there. Just need to know what you are looking for.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/20/2016 11:38:28 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

quote:

PM me if you want some suggestions, there are literally thousands of games out there. Just need to know what you are looking for.

Seems kind of expensive. I don't figure on getting TOO much into them.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 6
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 12:33:48 AM   
Skeleton

With SC3 out and purchased, about the only thing I am looking forward to is the black Friday, 2nd Kickstarter for Kingdom Death Monster; http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55690/kingdom-death-monster

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 7
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 1:25:14 AM   
nelmsm1

If anything it will be some DLC for CKII or EUIV or the Torch expansion for WitW

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 8
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 2:41:14 AM   
RodyMetal

I will try not to get much, I have many games to play, but I will buy a game or two from Matrix mostly will be CSME and Tigers on the Hunt.
From steam I have around 40 games on my wishlist, so it depends on how much I want the game and the discount rate of it.

Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 9
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 6:11:16 PM   
Kuokkanen

This year I've bought bunch of games and played only about half of them, many of them just handful of hours. Right now I spend hours a day with Civ4: BTS Caveman 2 Cosmos. One more turn...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to RodyMetal)
Post #: 10
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 6:21:29 PM   
warspite1

Nothing - I'm sorted for the holidays .

I have MWIF of course that I continue to play, and on a whim have just bought Strategic Command WWII War In Europe.

Early days with the latter but I have to say I am really pleased with Strategic Command. These two games should keep me company over the Christmas period.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 8:54:06 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

So, what game or games are you hoping for this holiday season or what are you going to buy for yourself anyways and why?

I seriously doubt I will be buying any new PC games--I already have such a large backlog that I don't believe I will ever play all the games I currently own.

But I might buy a new gaming computer if the price is right. The one I have is six years old and is in the shop right now.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 12
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/21/2016 9:44:37 PM   
Grubwurm

Bought Dom 4 from Gamersgate sale.

Lost all of the files from DOM 3 and the price was right.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 13
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 1:03:55 AM   
wodin

Dom 4 is my fav x4 game by a long long way

(in reply to Grubwurm)
Post #: 14
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 2:33:44 AM   
jack54

Definitely the 'Mandate of Heaven' expansion for Sengoku Jidai.

Fleet Commander Nimitz (DVG board game)...

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 4:31:59 AM   
Agathosdaimon

i have bought alot of old games of late and they are awesome!

Dawn Patrol
Action Stations
Blue Max
Rules of Engagement
Warship
Sub Battle Simulator
Panthers in the Shadows
Flying Corps Gold
and more

of newer games Wings over Flanders Fields will be the one for me next i think - just ordered Combat Flight Simulator 3 as a prerequisite!

i am not sure when they are coming out but Sanctus Reach, Wars of Succession and TOAW IV would be the Matrix ones for me to get!

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 16
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 10:44:43 AM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd

I play a multitude of things. At 64 years old I think my gaming days are getting slimmer. I just can't find anything interesting.
Played WOW since about 2007, latest expansion is meh. Just too many years to find this game exciting any longer.
Diablo 3, played for 3 years, just can't play it anymore. Grim Dawn, the same.
Tried the Mass Effect trilogy again, boring the second time through...
Tried Divinity, original sin, nope...
Tried Galactic Civilizations 3, what a waste of money.
Flashpoint Campaigns, good game system, but limited scenario time frames all based on a what if that never happened. Lost interest for now, but I watch the forum for expansion news.
Waiting for release of Operational Art of War IV, with the fixes to turn burn and expansion of the map size this could be ok for awhile.
Looking at Command: Modern Naval and Air, Looks ok, pricey for my budget, so I hesitate because I gotten so many crappy games lately.

Pretty sure I'm in a big rut in my gaming life (which spans 35 or so years).

What I would really like to see (and I won't in my lifetime) is a real good Science Fiction wargame. Not a rock paper scissors style (which they all are right now). Something like a hybrid between War in the Pacific and Command: Modern Naval and Air.

But as far as Matrix goes, TOAW IV and Flashpoints next release are on my list. Possibly Command: Modern Naval and Air.

Yeah at 64 I'm in a rut for gaming. Might be due to my age as they sure don't cater gaming to my age group! Ha!

I don't think it's your age, sounds like you are are true game lover. You should check the "Indie" genre of games. It covers alot of different topics but you will probably find some that are quite good. Steam is a good place to start the search...
http://store.steampowered.com/

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Post #: 17
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 10:51:55 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I seriously doubt I will be buying any new PC games--I already have such a large backlog that I don't believe I will ever play all the games I currently own.

But I might buy a new gaming computer if the price is right. The one I have is six years old and is in the shop right now.

Don't feel pregnant mine is 8 years old almost 9 bought back in June of 2008 with Vista 64 OS no less. It's been a good one though (knock on wood....wood where's my wood?? Where's Catan when you need it. )

If anyone is looking for a fun board game like strategy game try to find Gremlins Inc. on sale these holidays. It's the strangest but most fun cutthroat board game to PC game I've ever played. It's akin to monopoly in movement (not construction though) and you use the same cards you play for points and profit as you do for movement. I'd bet nickels to dollars you find yourself screaming at the monitor from game to game. It has so many aspects of life's elements in it, you even get to goto "hell"

@Grognerd...I'm basically in the same rut you are been that way for awhile now and I think you would like Gremlins Inc. It's different and the AI is quite good and ruthless. You'll kick your dog over it. (not really but it's that good)

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/22/2016 10:57:44 AM >

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 18
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 2:29:58 PM   
Kuokkanen

I consider to buy Stardew Valley to my littlesister for christmas. Does anyone sell it on a disc?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 19
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 3:39:41 PM   
bairdlander2

None.I am unemployed,probably until March when construction season picks up again.Enjoying beta testing,watching films on android box and relaxing.

Post #: 20
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 3:42:24 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

I am not sure when they are coming out but Sanctus Reach, Wars of Succession and TOAW IV would be the Matrix ones for me to get!

I don't think Wars of Succession will be out for Christmas.

I won't be buying any more PC games ... unless I see an offer (massive discount) that is too good to ignore. I never seem to have enough time to play the games I already have.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 21
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 4:36:58 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I consider to buy Stardew Valley to my littlesister for christmas. Does anyone sell it on a disc?

No, it's a download. It's one of the best for any age!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 22
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/22/2016 6:27:04 PM   
major.pain

Was hoping to see TOAWIV out by Christmas but i think we will be lucky to even see some screen shots of it by then lol.
May consider GGWITW if it has a massive discount.

@Grognard
If your after a Sci-Fi wargame take a look at Sid Miers Alpha Centauri, its not strictly a "wargame" its a 4X game but its awesome and closet i can think of that might fit the bill as a SciFi Wargame.
Also you might want to check out Dominions 4 by Illwinter Games its a fantasy war/boardgame, probably the best game of its type to be honest not discounting the legendary Master of Magic from 30 years ago.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 23
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/23/2016 6:34:28 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

Really? I imagine it would require reading and understanding of English, so it won't be for my sister's children yet. Her oldest (5-6 years or so) has just learned to read little of Finnish (our native language). My first thought was to buy the game on my account, download it on to USB memory device, and hand that over on Christmas eve. But it looks like it would be better if she (sister) makes an account on GOG or Steam and I gift the game over on her account instead. How large is the game? Does it take hours to download?

MekWars

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 24
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/23/2016 7:20:34 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

Really? I imagine it would require reading and understanding of English, so it won't be for my sister's children yet. Her oldest (5-6 years or so) has just learned to read little of Finnish (our native language). My first thought was to buy the game on my account, download it on to USB memory device, and hand that over on Christmas eve. But it looks like it would be better if she (sister) makes an account on GOG or Steam and I gift the game over on her account instead. How large is the game? Does it take hours to download?

With a fast connection, it's a quick download.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 25
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/24/2016 12:51:39 AM   
Dorb

Just grabbed board games Conan and Axis & Allies 1942 from CSI. Waiting to see what GMT Games does, so I can see what Matrix games I need to round out the collection/obsession. Really $uck$ doing PC games and Board games- Just glad it is spread out over 2-3 months here with Matrix Games, helps explaining to the wife.

I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 26
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/24/2016 1:18:23 AM   
whippleofd

I'm looking for a Normandy invasion game at the regimental level that doesn't have weekly turns. Hex's and a way to mod the German supply and replacement levels to a higher level when I'm playing the Allies. I tried playing Tillers Panzer Campaigns Normandy 44 and didn't mind the Battalion level too much. But that UI is horrific and after a few weeks playing I gave it up.

Anyone have any ideas?
Be safe out there,
Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

Post #: 27
RE: Whatcah gonna get? - 11/24/2016 1:18:46 AM   
Gilmer

I do believe I will pick up the WiTW expansion. And maybe the To End All Wars expansion. Additions to earlier post.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Whatcah gonna get? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI