Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

France 1940 in three turns ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> France 1940 in three turns ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/24/2016 10:48:56 AM   
Ohf

After the "Poland in two turns" topic, another case in Blitzkrieg : France in the 1940 scenario.
As Germany, I really want to defeat France in three turns to get it to surrender on the historical date : 22 june 1940
However, I'm only able to do it in 4 turns (early July). It seems I must take Lyon with the Italian armor to trigger surrender.
Here's how I play it.

1st turn : corps to the Hague + paradrop. all planes on Brussels + paradrop. Armies clear Belgian troops, Panzers move through on the French border, two in the Ardennes and strike french army to weaken it, one toward the BEF.
2nd turn : all planes on the French army on the border. Panzers move in, one takes out Reims, other one usually strike HQ in front of Paris. BEF encirclement in Lille with armies + other panzer. Paratroops prepare.
3rd turn : all planes on Paris, panzer move in and take the city. Lille taken. Paratroops on Calais region to kill british corps.
4th turn : Mop up + Verdun with armies and Lyon with Italian armor

So...anyone can defeat France in 3 turns ?

< Message edited by Ohf -- 11/24/2016 10:51:43 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/24/2016 2:07:32 PM   
Capitaine

One thing I noticed on one of my playthroughs is that given the chance, the Allies will execute the "Dyle Plan" and advance into Belgium. So it behooves the Germans not to drive too far initially to permit this move, thereby enabling the historical entrapment of much of their forces via the "sickle cut" to the coast. That disposes of the Western side of the Allied defense on turn 2, which then means that you'd have to take Paris on the next turn. That's still a tall order. I may have taken France in 4 turns (or maybe even 5 -- can't recall), but 3 is really tough and certainly needs a perfect set up.

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 2
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/24/2016 3:42:06 PM   
ILCK

I think France was 5 turns on my first playthrough. I got units "hung up" on the DCR and couldnt run the carousel of death of Paris itself.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 3
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/24/2016 4:11:13 PM   
fatgreta1066

In the 1940 scenario the Germans haven't upgraded many units' mobility. That would make it easier for sure. It's a good lesson for what to consider if starting in 1939.

< Message edited by fatgreta1066 -- 11/24/2016 4:12:59 PM >

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 4
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/24/2016 6:48:42 PM   
fatgreta1066

I also was able to take Paris on turn 3, but not conquer France. I see in your turn 4 the Italians were involved, when did they join? In my three turns they got up to 99% mobilization but still aren't available for turn 4. I wonder if a diplomacy chit on the first turn would get them in?

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 5
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/25/2016 5:30:30 AM   
Grotius

Sheesh, in my first attempt (playing the 1939 scenario), it took me until the autumn to conquer France! I kept taking losses, and I had to cycle troops to the rear. Next time I'll try Ohf's suggestions. Maybe I'll fire up the 1940 scenario to practice.

Also, it took me a while to get used to the combat rules: you can attack with an infantry unit and then move it out of the way. Old wargaming habits die hard -- I'm used to move first, then attack.

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 6
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/25/2016 6:01:16 AM   
Jim D Burns

Air power is key for a rapid advance. Not so much for the damage, but the fact it can remove entrenchment levels. It's far easier to force retreats of strength 8-10 defending units on the first attack with your panzers if their entrenchments have been stripped away.

Even a low strength 5 or 6 plane can strip entrenchments, so keep pressing from the air if you've managed to clear away fighter cover. I used to repair all my planes if they were at strength 8 or less. Now I keep using them until they go below 5 it really keeps an offensive rolling.

So far though nothing beats nebelwerfer batteries for stripping entrenchments. They pull down 2 levels per shot.

Jim

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 7
RE: France 1940 in three turns ? - 11/25/2016 5:33:50 PM   
Grotius

Thanks. I'll try those suggestions.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> France 1940 in three turns ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI