Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/25/2016 1:22:53 PM   
steelwarrior

I have played all SC titles - so my feedback is based on knowing how to min/max everything ;-D
I think the Axis campaign (and even more the Allied one) even on highest difficulty is too easy - I max everything out in difficulty settings - except XP as it feels very unhistorical to have enemy units perform so much better than they did historically...
And with these settings I get to easily the upper hand MPP wise - so I would suggest for a SP camapaign that I can give the AI bigger MPP bonusses than 20% - as historically the AXIS were outproduced by the SOV and USA at the same time. So I would suggest to be able to give the AI up to 100% MPP boost in the difficulty settings - this could be done with a small patch ;-D
I love the new map, the AI and the units - I would wish for an even bigger map with more units though as I feel it gives even more opportunities for good planning - like having to set a Schwerpunkt at certain sposts and more encirclements are possible as well as counterattacks... Thanks for this game and I hope for many more improvements and expansions ;-D
Post #: 1
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/25/2016 1:27:03 PM   
Ohf

Hello !

I'd be interested to know how your campaign went ? Did you get Turkey or Spain on your side ? And when did you achieve victory ?

(in reply to steelwarrior)
Post #: 2
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/25/2016 1:31:57 PM   
steelwarrior

I did get Spain early - I always go for all of France and Northern Africa - that is actually the easiest way to get all the MPP you wil ever need - then you can decide to conquer Turkey or get it diplomatically - I prefer the latter as lack of MPPs is no issue after Spain anymore - but in realy history the Axis would have been outproduced even with Spain and Turkey - that is what I mean - I usually take Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad the latest in 43 - the SOV does not surrender then, but I can outproduce everyone at that point, which means victory is certain - that actually should not be - as long as the SOV is around the Axis should be overstretched and at least matched in production and by that the Allied invasions a real threat - thats my opinion though...

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 11/25/2016 6:29:50 PM >

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 3
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/26/2016 9:30:02 AM   
Biker1984

I agree. I think for single player purpose, next to the providing the AI with additional MPP, there should be a hard and very hard scenario in which the AI gets an additional amount of units. For example, during Barbarossa the Soviets get 10 additional corps/divisions and 3 shock troops. The British start get additional Naval units in 1941. I think the AI is good enough, just for very experienced gamers I can image the challenge is more with additional units rather then with spotting or more MPP.
In addition I think when playing the Allies in 1939 there are to much different scenarios in which you are able to withhold the Axis in their early war years. Historically a lot was done on luck and gamble, if someone had the overall strategic insight, the axis would not be able to pull of Fall Gelb. So I would preferably have a scenario from 1941.

Post #: 4
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/26/2016 1:46:24 PM   
steelwarrior

Yep, just make it harder in SP for both sides, if the AI would get more units and MPP then one could give the AXIS AI also the XP boost in difficulty settings which would simulate history quite well...
So AXIS AI more units and MPPs with the XP boost and Allied no XP boost but a lot more units and MPPS, especially SOV and USA.
Lets call it the SC veteran difficulty ;-D.

By the way, even i not getting Spain as AXIs one can do a very early France, Yugoslavia and Greece and an early Barbarossa, which also ends in outproducing the Allies soon and then one can still take Turkey and Spain by diplomacy...
I am aware that the main challenge is MP against a human player - I also played once MP, but my work does not allow for regular turns, so SP is the only way for me now...

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 11/26/2016 1:52:49 PM >

(in reply to Biker1984)
Post #: 5
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/26/2016 3:29:41 PM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: steelwarrior

I did get Spain early - I always go for all of France and Northern Africa - that is actually the easiest way to get all the MPP you wil ever need - then you can decide to conquer Turkey or get it diplomatically - I prefer the latter as lack of MPPs is no issue after Spain anymore - but in realy history the Axis would have been outproduced even with Spain and Turkey - that is what I mean - I usually take Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad the latest in 43 - the SOV does not surrender then, but I can outproduce everyone at that point, which means victory is certain - that actually should not be - as long as the SOV is around the Axis should be overstretched and at least matched in production and by that the Allied invasions a real threat - thats my opinion though...

i can't recall what thread i saw it in but the devs have, i think, agreed that diplo influence needs to be harder and/or the other side needs to respond more to diplo moves

Post #: 6
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 11/27/2016 3:06:45 AM   
steelwarrior

Great - wondering about one thing though...why does Spain not always join the Axis by event - this time free France did capitulate before I took Tunis or Algiers and Spain did not join, wonder why? I mean the event, where I pay 800 MPPs...

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 7
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/1/2016 2:41:56 PM   
steelwarrior

I know now what happened - I have to put an AXIS unit into Algiers, then the event with Spain happens. Some feedback to the game - the game log sometimes seems to show destroyed units and sometimes not all of them.
Also in France and Copenhagen partisans spawned, that did not show up as risk areas for spawns in the partisan map mode.
I played a sloppy game with the Axis and took by 41 only all of France and North Africa as well as Yugoslavia. I needed until 42 to realize, I have to put a German unit into Algiers after Free France capitulated and bought artillery pieces rather late (they save a lot of MPPS by reducing my losses for taking out entrtenched units). I advanced in Barabrossa 41 only until Leningrad, Smolensk and Nikolaev - partially Krimea area and Alamein in North Africa in 42 - in 43 took Moscow and Stalingrad (with Sov infantry level 3) - in 44 mobbed up the Middle East and most of the Sov - had to contain and beat back a major invasion of the Allies in France and have middle of 44 about half of the MPPs world wide with Turkey and Sweden on board.
Now I never was threatened by a real push back - and I really played sloppy in many ways (never reloaded after misclicks - costing my several units)- compared to the ideal game play and speed as the AXIS - so the AI really needs bigger bonusses - especially the US and SOV AI. As far as I know the SOV outproduced Germany by the factor 4 late war and the US by factor six (of course diverting some MPPs to the Pacific campaign) - now the SOV would have less production had the AXIS advanced further, but not much less - I am 44 just getting close to the oil fields in the South of SOV and still outproduce the SOV by factor 3. So the SOV - especially the USA that never even come close to my MPP value in 42 - would need a MPP boost to bring them to historical levels...
So a 50% MPP bonus for a higher difficulty and a 100% for a nightmarish difficulty would be great. In 43 the Sov get infantry kevel 3 but with my experienced units I still killed about 120 in my summer campaign 43 and even more in 44 and lost 2 units each year in return (air units due to spotting + 2 for the AI)- that completely destroyed the Sov, even though I did hardly progressed before. Especially with artillery, bombers and tanks one can slaughter units quite easily and take hardly any losses. In 44 I destroyed more than 360 Sov units since 41 and they have about 40 units left end of 44. I just destroyed them so much faster, than they can build new ones from 43 on.
Thanks for the fun game - I would love to see it more challenging though.
Next I will play the Allies, but it usually is just so much more easy than the AXIS - so the additional bonusses would be great.
And a wish - to make highly experienced units really count, it would be nice to be able to buy the max reinforcements and max elite reinforcements in one turn instead of only reinfocements one turn, then one level of elite reinforcements per turn - right now due to the dice roll, I loose quite often one level of strength even if it shows something like 0-4 to 0-7 in preview. That measn I need to retreat my elite units quite often for one turn, reinforce it eahch level the next 1-3 turns - to then use it again for one attack and if unluky in dice rolls, start all over again - that means I can use my high XP units only every 3-5 turns without risking loosing XP - thats kinda sad ;-D
Of course it will make the game even easier, if I can reinforce faster - but also more fun (getting attached to the units and really taking care of them or mourning their loss) and the AI can always get additional MPP boosts to counter it - rather easily ;-D

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 12/1/2016 3:13:46 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/1/2016 3:18:19 PM   
Goodmongo

Soviet units are already about half the cost so a MPP gain will result in them rebuilding all lost units every turn with MPP to spare.

I think a better alternative is to increase MPP of oil fields. This greatly helps the allies till Germany can actually take control of North Africa/Iraq and then the Russian oil fields.

EDIT: While you can outproduce the allies via MPP you have a hard cap om actual units. This means the allies will have much more units over time and that means problems for the Axis. As the allied air force can be twice the size this spells eventual defeat unless you take all of Russia and get then to surrender.

< Message edited by Goodmongo -- 12/1/2016 3:22:29 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/1/2016 3:31:51 PM   
steelwarrior

I like the idea with the oil fields - as it was very important - except that taking the Middle East is too easy as the AXIS right now ;-D
And another remark German units were able in early war to beat SOV based on being outnumbered 1:3 and even late war at least being outnumbered 1:2 defensivly - so why did you give the SOV one infantry tech level more than Germany? It should be rather the other was around IMO the Sov could get an MPP boost instead of an extra tech level as Germany had the quality and the Sov the quantity - as an alternatiove German units could start with 1/2 - 1 bar of XP showing the superior training...

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 12/2/2016 1:48:18 AM >

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 10
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/1/2016 5:57:06 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: steelwarrior

And another remark German units were able in early war to beat SOV based on being outnumbered 1:3 and even late war at least being outnumbered 1:2 defensivly - so why did you give the SOV one infantry tech level more than Germany? It should be rather the other was around IMO the Sov could get an MPP bosst instead of an extra tech level as

Hi steelwarrior

Soviet Corps and Armies are set to be inferior to everyone else's, so level 1 for them is level 0 for their opponents.

So their ability to research to level 3 rather than 2 simply provides them with the potential to reach parity as the war progresses - and therefore to start pushing the Axis back, i.e. their level 3 is everyone else's level 2.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 11
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/2/2016 12:11:37 AM   
steelwarrior

I see - great -thanks for the info - then they should have bigger numbers only for an increased difficulty ;-D

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 12/2/2016 1:47:39 AM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 12
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/2/2016 9:43:16 PM   
steelwarrior

I just had another partisan spawn in a non spawn region, this time Rostov....

Post #: 13
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/3/2016 8:17:10 PM   
BillRunacre

Thanks steelwarrior, Rostov was duplicated in the script with different settings so I'll get that fixed.

Post #: 14
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/3/2016 8:59:33 PM   
steelwarrior

Your welcome - love your games ;-D - ist also happens in Southern France in some non-spawn cities...

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 12/3/2016 9:00:36 PM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 15
RE: Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign - 12/5/2016 3:33:13 PM   
BillRunacre

Ah, there are more Partisan locations from January 1944 onwards if the UK invested in S.O.E., and these are visible to the Axis by pressing the P key from the autumn of 1944. The Axis player should get a Pop Up advising them of increasing resistance activity and referring to a section in the Manual that gives more information.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Feedback for the Axis 1939 campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI