Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/27/2016 10:40:07 PM   
geofflambert

So, I'm supposed to be counting birds today and tomorrow for the Cornell Ornithology Lab. I hate it when people start a sentence with "so". In the dawn hour I saw a finch on one of my feeders. A female House Finch. One bird. Next one I saw was a Cooper's Hawk. It was sitting on my fence. For four hours straight. No other birds dared come around. So my count for the morning was two birds, one finch and one hawk. There were some more in the afternoon but they were wary. That hawk is starting to act like my personal pet, always hanging around. He looks at me. That don't make no never mind to him (Festus Hagen reference). Nuts.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1711
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/27/2016 10:57:13 PM   
geofflambert

There were people jogging by looking at that bird. They even crossed the street to put some distance between them.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1712
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/27/2016 11:32:46 PM   
geofflambert

I have at least one Barred Owl in the neighborhood and their calls are almost as funny as Kookaburra's. Go here and click on the green buttons to hear them. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

Post #: 1713
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 11:01:49 AM   
MakeeLearn

I almost ran over a Bald Eagle, Saturday as I was going to town. It flew up from the side of the road.

Post #: 1714
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 11:05:51 AM   
geofflambert

Are you saying you almost discriminated against an eagle simply because he was bald?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1715
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 11:15:00 AM   
geofflambert

As you all may be aware, I'm trying to get ready to play AW1Steve in a campaign PBEM. I downloaded and installed the 1126b current beta into my Beta2 folder. It replaced the shortcut I was using. At first try I got a missing PW data error. I put back in the switches I had been using and still got the same error. I only do this every year or two so I can never remember what to do. Here's my path: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fd -altFont -px1920 -py1080 -archive -cpu1 -w

What now?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1716
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 11:23:14 AM   
geofflambert

Here's the contents of the Beta2 folder

When I installed it, it wanted to install it to the regular folder and not the Beta2 folder but I changed the target destination to the Beta2 folder. Was that a mistake?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 11/28/2016 11:27:20 AM >

Post #: 1717
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 2:16:47 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

I almost ran over a Bald Eagle, Saturday as I was going to town. It flew up from the side of the road.

That happened to me once. Driving across South Park Colorado (not the cartoon) with a camper and my boat just at dusk. Driving down the highway at 65-70 mph, over a slight rise and Boomp, There It Is!! That guy was @ 7 ft off the ground. I locked up the whole rig, he sailed right over us. To this day I don't know how I missed him

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1718
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 2:18:14 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

What now?

Is that shortcut valid?

Post #: 1719
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 2:40:14 PM   
Anachro

Extract the exe from beta2 folder to your main folder (I would only do this in a copy of the game and not your base vanilla installation). Run the shortcut with switches from your main folder then.

Or make sure in properties for the shortcut that it is set to start in the main folder and not the beta2 folder.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/28/2016 2:46:01 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1720
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:00:39 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

What now?

Is that shortcut valid?

It was working yesterday.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1721
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:32:34 PM   
geofflambert

Ok, so I made a copy of the Matrix Games folder and stashed it somewhere. Then I extracted the 1126b update to the main WitP-AE folder and ran it as you will see here:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1722
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:34:26 PM   
Anachro

I mean extract the WitP exe from the beta2 folder to the main folder.

Post #: 1723
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:37:06 PM   
geofflambert

It recreated the shortcut, still pointed at the Beta2 folder and with just the -w switch. I'll put the others back in shortly.
Clicked the shortcut and no error. So I guess you're supposed to put it in the main folder in the first place, as it wanted to do before I overrode it. Here you can see that 1126b is in effect.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1724
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:39:19 PM   
geofflambert

Switches added back in - success!

Post #: 1725
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:52:51 PM   
geofflambert

Steve's latest word was he wished to play stock (scen. one I presume). I have been playing DBB-C with extended map. I believe that is scenario dependent and that we have to be on the same page as far as ext/not ext map goes. I'd still like to use on my side one of chemkid's beautiful maps. I'll have to figure that out again. I know that map display changes are side specific. I haven't been in the editor in an awfully long time. If he wants any map/graphics changes can he do that himself or do I have to do that for him? One graphics change I always make is to replace the IJN battle flag with the regular IJA flag, I hate the other one, too busy.

Post #: 1726
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 4:57:09 PM   
geofflambert

So everything is already the way I like it, I don't have to do anything.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1727
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 5:24:20 PM   
geofflambert

So I don't confuse anyone, I opened the game as Scenario one with Allied computer on. Take a look at this screenshot. Isn't that the extended map? I have to fix that don't I?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1728
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 5:55:25 PM   
dave sindel

When will this epic match kick off ?

Post #: 1729
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 7:34:27 PM   
geofflambert

I don't know, as soon as I can get myself together and plan this thing out. Three weeks, I hope.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 1730
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 8:24:05 PM   
BBfanboy

That is extended map all right. Your opponent must have the extended map installation but I am not sure if the map art has to be the same.
You both must use the same setting for stacking limits or not, as you agree on.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 1731
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 8:52:38 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

That is extended map all right. Your opponent must have the extended map installation but I am not sure if the map art has to be the same.

I know we can have different maps, visually, but suspected one could not be using an extended map while the other not. Are you saying a system of stacking limits can be imposed on stock? How would that work?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1732
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/28/2016 9:16:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I know we can have different maps, visually, but suspected one could not be using an extended map while the other not. Are you saying a system of stacking limits can be imposed on stock? How would that work?

I tried unsuccessfully to find it in my bookmarks, but I know when the enhanced stacking limits came out there was a new data file for the stock maps. BUT, I do not know if the stock game was ever able to handle both extended map and stacking limits. I think the extended map is only DBB.

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 1733
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 12:46:40 AM   
pontiouspilot

By belief is that stock is not compatible with either Ext map or stacking limits. Check the DBB web. Generally once you've gone DBB you won't go back.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1734
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 1:25:46 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

I tried unsuccessfully to find it in my bookmarks, but I know when the enhanced stacking limits came out there was a new data file for the stock maps. BUT, I do not know if the stock game was ever able to handle both extended map and stacking limits. I think the extended map is only DBB.

As I recall the pwhex files for stacking limits on the stock map is on the babes web site.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1735
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 2:53:34 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

As I recall the pwhex files for stacking limits on the stock map is on the babes web site.

Right - that is what I have been trying to say, so I looked again and found it as a zip file at the bottom of this page:

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art/ab-extended-map

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1736
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 7:01:17 PM   
geofflambert

Are you listening Steve? We can have stacking limits for all hexes in the game without going DBB-C. Interested?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1737
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 7:14:33 PM   
geofflambert

I've played a lot of war games over the years and everyone I can remember had stacking limits, until I got to this one. I was somewhat dismayed, thinking the land operations modelling was inadequate. I learned by playing that it wasn't too bad, but without stacking limits crazy things could happen. With stacking limits I have not had any problem or complaint with land operations. DBB-C also reduces cargo and troop capacity on all ships. I have no problem with that but I can live without it. Also many small vessels are added which is fine but I can live without them.

Post #: 1738
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 8:00:30 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Are you listening Steve? We can have stacking limits for all hexes in the game without going DBB-C. Interested?

Stacking limits? Oh MY GOD! Are you one of those insufferable people who spend all their times massing human juggernauts to simply make a mess and be annoying in China? How about we play "quiet China" and avoid all that cloth renting and anguish?

Post #: 1739
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/29/2016 8:22:53 PM   
geofflambert

I don't know anything about that mod but it doesn't sound historical. Stacking limits do have the greatest effect in China, so if you wish I won't do absurd things if you won't, and I don't think you will. I am confident that neither of us will march restricted units across national borders, units that aren't even allowed to board ships, unless purchased out with PPs. I've managed to do that in the past though I think I caught myself doing that on one occasion and had to march the unit back where it belonged. In any case, I shall be merciful, swift and insufferable.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 1740
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI