Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

653H Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 653H Mod Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
653H Mod - 12/2/2016 1:07:00 PM   
sPzAbt653

653H Mod https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsbh4rxvotqlhrs/_653H.zip?dl=0

This Mod uses the 1939 Campaign as a base. All Orders of Battle have
been adjusted to represent historical units. Most units represent corps,
but there are other sizes.
Research and Upgrade categories have been combined and reduced for
simplicity. For example, Researching 'Infantry' will allow upgrades
in Combat, Anti-Tank and Air Defense for Infantry type units.
Combat has been scaled down to reduce casualties [slightly].
Most 'Double Strike' capability has been eliminated, except for
Panzer Units [as they were ineffective without it].
Specific Unit Categories have been added [SS Panzer, Soviet Tank
Army, etc.].
Naval Units represent Task Forces and Battle Groups, but still retain
their Capital Ship names [it's nicer that way]. There are few
Cruisers or Destroyers, except for some specific cases.

Graphical Changes include Towns and Cities, Resource - Mines and
Oilfields, Railroads and Fortifications [as seen below].
Customized some NATO Icons [3D icons are unchanged].

Changes/Additions for v1.1 [posted Feb. 14, 2017]
Changed 'Franco Swings Towards The Axis On The Fall Of France' from 20-25% to 15-20%.
New unit builds for the USA are delayed until September 1940.
Added an Axis Naval Loop from the Red Sea to the Gulf of Oman.
Increased Naval Spotting Ranges from 2 to 6 for all Capital Ship units.
Free France added as a Minor Country of the USA.
Improved map text visibility [maybe].
The Decision to entice Spain to join the Axis is also dependant on the Axis having a beachhead in England [3 units within 3 hexes of London].
If Arkhangel and Murmansk are Axis captured, Pacific Lend-Lease is increased.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 2/15/2017 10:15:25 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 1:07:41 PM   
sPzAbt653

After unzipping, install the files in the directory seen below [W7 pictured].

EDIT: IMPORTANT! This may look odd to some, but this is the way the game is designed to read User Made Campaigns and Mods. So after unzipping, drag and drop or copy/paste the 653H folder and 653H.cgn file into the directory just as you see it below. From the developer: No need to backup the old bitmaps folders or graphics files and overwrite them anywhere else as the mod understands to only load its own files.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 4/28/2017 6:49:30 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 2
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 1:08:37 PM   
sPzAbt653

On the start up screen you should see 'v1.0' here:
Edit: 'v1.1' as of Feb. 14, 2017

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 2/15/2017 10:13:19 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 1:10:03 PM   
Daniele

Hi!
Great work with the Mod! May I suggest you to post it in the "Scenario Design and Modding" Section of the forum? So we can keep united every stuff related.

Thanks again!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 2:12:46 PM   
Ohf

Hello ! I just downloaded it and will start a campaign soon, I'm quite curious to see how it plays.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 5
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 2:18:09 PM   
Ohf

Ok I have my first question ; how does it play when the Soviet has its 125 corps + 40 guard corps on the map ? Frontline is continuous ?

Also : would you recommend playing Axis or Allies (or both) on your mod ?

< Message edited by Ohf -- 12/2/2016 2:25:03 PM >

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 6
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 2:29:43 PM   
ILCK

Curious about the design decision and how it plays differently.

Why reduce units to corps?
Reduction in damage seems to really negatively affect the Axis since it means fewer dead units (especially since Mech wont double strike)and thus allows the allied MPP edge to really be magnified.
When you combine research like that does each tier take longer (is it the sum of all the sub-groups research unlocks or still just the total "Infantry Warfare cost)

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 7
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 2:42:19 PM   
Goodmongo

While I commend you for doing the work this is not for me. I tried it and my opinion is that sometimes more is actually less.

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 8
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 3:25:23 PM   
Ohf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodmongo

While I commend you for doing the work this is not for me. I tried it and my opinion is that sometimes more is actually less.

Germany started to invade France in may 1940, and can't get a nice breakthrough (its september now). I think I agree with goodmongo : your mod has a greater accuracy in OOBs, but at the same time you loose the elegance of the base version. I can already double-fill in depth my frontline in France, I'm really afraid of what it would look like on the Eastern Front. I already got the event saying that I would get 40 mech corps for the Soviet. In total thats a loooot of counters. But I admire the work you put into it !

Edit : the Western Front feels a lot like WWI right now. The AI is munching slowly through my line, but there's no tanks breakthrough or massive encirclements happening. I'm drowning in MPPs with the UK and send a mech corps each turn to France. I can reinforce everybody without a problem, France included.

< Message edited by Ohf -- 12/2/2016 3:32:22 PM >

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 9
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 4:26:59 PM   
Hartmann

I think I'll try the mod, but wait a bit for a later version. HOWEVER I NEED THOSE SEXY AIRPLANE COUNTERS ASAP!

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 10
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 5:26:52 PM   
steelwarrior

Love the idea of more units, but should double attacks and damage not be increased so the AXIS can breakthrough and encircle? Will try soon ;-D

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 12/2/2016 6:22:45 PM >

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 11
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 5:52:28 PM   
DaBoost

Cheers. Will give it a go as soon as I'm done with my current campaign.

(in reply to steelwarrior)
Post #: 12
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 6:53:19 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

how does it play when the Soviet has its 125 corps + 40 guard corps on the map ? Frontline is continuous ?

I think it plays great Frontline is continuous, two corps deep in some places.

would you recommend playing Axis or Allies (or both) on your mod ?
I play both, alternating games, and have equal fun, which is weird because in other games I find the Allies boring.

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 13
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 6:57:04 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Why reduce units to corps?

Seems like a proper unit size for the map scale.
quote:

When you combine research like that does each tier take longer

No.

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 14
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 7:00:08 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I can already double-fill in depth my frontline in France, I'm really afraid of what it would look like on the Eastern Front. I already got the event saying that I would get 40 mech corps for the Soviet. In total thats a loooot of counters. But I admire the work you put into it !

I don't understand these comments at all, they have nothing to do with 653H.

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 15
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 7:02:17 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I NEED THOSE SEXY AIRPLANE COUNTERS ASAP!

Maybe I'll make a tutorial on how to grab them from the 653H files. I'll think about it.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 16
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 7:04:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

but should double attacks and damage not be increased so the AXIS can breakthrough and encircle?

Breakthrough's and encirclement's aren't a feature of the stock campaign, either. I've been pondering how to do this, but it's complicated and may not be attainable with this game system.

Post #: 17
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 7:18:07 PM   
Ohf

quote:

Breakthrough's and encirclement's aren't a feature of the stock campaign, either. I've been pondering how to do this, but it's complicated and may not be attainable with this game system.

Really ? I feel like it happens fairly often, especially in the southern russian front.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 18
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 7:51:19 PM   
sPzAbt653

Love to see a screenshot.

(in reply to Ohf)
Post #: 19
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 8:13:30 PM   
steelwarrior

There are still two Italian armies left in North Africa ;-D
For breakthroughs, higher attack values, more action points and/or more units with double attack, I guess...

< Message edited by steelwarrior -- 12/2/2016 8:14:50 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 20
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 8:20:29 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

There are still two Italian armies left in North Africa

There are some Armies in 653H. It is generally a hinderance/handicap. There are some .txt doc's in the zip, but not everything is covered as it takes a long time to type, and that is generally boring. But for example, France has some Armies, and they can't hold a line because of it. Greece has Armies, because when I gave them corps they were impossible to beat. UK has a 'WDF' Army [this one and both Italian armies won't rebuild].

Post #: 21
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 8:38:27 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

For breakthroughs, higher attack values, more action points and/or more units with double attack, I guess...

Well, I can see that you are into it, so ...
You are correct in what you say above, but there are a few other considerations:
Your spearheads rely on vulnerable HQ's being nearby to provide supply. Since HQ's can't hold the line, this means that any breakthrough needs to be three hexes wide.
For an encirclement to be successful, all supply generating locations within the pocket need to be captured. Otherwise, the surrounded force can replace to some extent, which extends their survival and prolongs the encircling force's exposure. This isn't practical on a map where supply generating locations are placed every two-three hexes. Additionally, HQ's within a pocket need no supply at all to provide a level or replacement.
Old boardgames that use similar mechanics also include rules that unsupplied units cannot move or attack, or both. In SC3 there are reduced capabilities, but surrounded units can still move and attack, which makes it more difficult to sustain a successful encirclement.

That's enough for now

Post #: 22
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 9:08:47 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

I NEED THOSE SEXY AIRPLANE COUNTERS ASAP!

Maybe I'll make a tutorial on how to grab them from the 653H files. I'll think about it.

Thanks for sharing those sprites - I already extracted them from the zip and have them showing up in my game. However it seems you did not include counters for the Soviets too? Or did I miss a file somewhere?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 23
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 9:31:31 PM   
sPzAbt653

I just checked the zip to be sure, and yes, the Soviets are in there. You should see specific icons for fighters, tactical bombers, heavy bombers, along with guards corps and tank armies. Are your air units all showing up as those sideways eights ?

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 24
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 9:55:22 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

I just checked the zip to be sure, and yes, the Soviets are in there. You should see specific icons for fighters, tactical bombers, heavy bombers, along with guards corps and tank armies. Are your air units all showing up as those sideways eights ?

Yes, they show up as "infinity" signs still - all other countries seem to be fine. I'll check the zip again if I somehow missed the files for the Soviets.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 25
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 10:03:19 PM   
Hartmann

Ok, I know what it is - the folder "Major_6" seems to be missing in the bitmap folder of your zip.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 26
RE: 653H Mod - 12/2/2016 10:07:01 PM   
steelwarrior

quote:

quote:

Well, I can see that you are into it, so ...
You are correct in what you say above, but there are a few other considerations:
Your spearheads rely on vulnerable HQ's being nearby to provide supply. Since HQ's can't hold the line, this means that any breakthrough needs to be three hexes wide.
For an encirclement to be successful, all supply generating locations within the pocket need to be captured. Otherwise, the surrounded force can replace to some extent, which extends their survival and prolongs the encircling force's exposure. This isn't practical on a map where supply generating locations are placed every two-three hexes. Additionally, HQ's within a pocket need no supply at all to provide a level or replacement.
Old boardgames that use similar mechanics also include rules that unsupplied units cannot move or attack, or both. In SC3 there are reduced capabilities, but surrounded units can still move and attack, which makes it more difficult to sustain a successful encirclement.

That's enough for now

Thanks for your effort - will give you a feedback once I played a full campaign ;-D

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 27
RE: 653H Mod - 12/3/2016 12:03:41 AM   
Radar8717

Excellent scenario. Fun and challenging on Intermediate with no computer advantages.

Blitzkrieg is possible! Don't understand the comments about comparisons to getting bogged
down like WW1 and layers of defending units. Are they playing the same game?

Poland surrendered in 2 turns. Invaded Benelux and France with 6 panzer korps. Occupied
Paris in mid June 1940, France surrendered couple of turns later. The ground campaigns
are going historical with your increased number of ground units and historical OOB.

The strange thing is the U-Boats are unopposed in the Atlantic with no Destroyers in your
OOB; the Kriegsmarine has yet to see any enemy vessels, so there is no need to do much
until running out of supply requiring a return to a port.
Is this WAD? Convoy raiding is very easy! Naval part gets boring. Have played through 1940.

Shouldn't the basic Russian unit be an army and not a corps? Most strategic eastern front
games simulate this: German corps versus Russian armies and it works very well.

Looking forward to your next updated version. Your graphics are a big improvement! Thanks

Post #: 28
RE: 653H Mod - 12/3/2016 12:17:25 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartmann

Ok, I know what it is - the folder "Major_6" seems to be missing in the bitmap folder of your zip.

But Major 6 isn't used
Major 4 is the USSR.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 29
RE: 653H Mod - 12/3/2016 12:30:23 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Blitzkrieg is possible! Don't understand the comments about comparisons to getting bogged down like WW1 and layers of defending units. Are they playing the same game?

Obviously not, and I stated so above, and they haven't returned, so who knows what they were on about.
quote:

there is no need to do much until running out of supply requiring a return to a port.

No need to return to port, you can raid just as well with no supply
quote:

U-Boats are unopposed in the Atlantic with no Destroyers in your
OOB;

I do not know enough about the AI scripts to know if 'no destroyers' affects things. However, playing as the Allies works out very historically. That is, until the Allies improve their techs, the U-Boots have fun.
quote:

Shouldn't the basic Russian unit be an army and not a corps?

Tried it once [I didn't want to increase unit count] and saw quickly that it didn't work. The Soviets would be able to field about 60 armies tops, and while a good human player might be able to pull it off, the computer was no challenge. Corps play very historical, with the opening phases the Allied/Soviet player is getting their weak corps overrun everywhere, middle phase finds the Axis slowed by so many corps, final phase the Soviets can stop the Axis with a double line and then pick areas to use Artillery and Tanks to fight back.

(in reply to Radar8717)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 653H Mod Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI