Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RN Carriers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RN Carriers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RN Carriers - 12/6/2016 9:01:55 PM   
geoffreyg

Playing as the Japanese I understand that 3 RN carriers appear as reinforcements in 1942 and HMS Victorious in Feb 1943.
However I think some then get withdrawn and I wondered when this occurred and when they returned.
Many thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: RN Carriers - 12/6/2016 9:21:43 PM   
dr.hal

Ships appear and are withdrawn as they did in the actual war. This game only reflects to Pacific Theater and not the other areas. The other areas needed ships too, so when units in the Pacific where actually recalled to other duties in the Atlantic or Med, so too in the game are such ships withdrawn and/or reappear when released from other theaters on the historic date those ships were actually released. It is the developers attempt to reflect actual events in other theaters of war.

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 2
RE: RN Carriers - 12/6/2016 10:47:29 PM   
BBfanboy

I think the question was "when do they withdraw"?
I don't know because I do not allow withdrawals in my game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: RN Carriers - 12/6/2016 11:15:25 PM   
Big B

This is correct.
I personally didn't like this approach, because I always believed that the RN CV's reassignment was very much due to the reduced threat after the Battle of Midway.
Game-wise, it never made good sense to me to have them withdraw at historical dates that could not be tied to historical conditions.
So in my mod I kept them around until later 1943 - when the RN BB's start to withdraw...when there would be an ample supply of USN CV's available.
But in my 'Bare-Bones' version I kept the games' historical withdrawal dates...for players who like stock.

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Ships appear and are withdrawn as they did in the actual war. This game only reflects to Pacific Theater and not the other areas. The other areas needed ships too, so when units in the Pacific where actually recalled to other duties in the Atlantic or Med, so too in the game are such ships withdrawn and/or reappear when released from other theaters on the historic date those ships were actually released. It is the developers attempt to reflect actual events in other theaters of war.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: RN Carriers - 12/7/2016 2:04:48 AM   
CaptBeefheart

If nobody provides a quick answer, one way is to check the scenario's database through the scenario editor and try to find those ships. It might be a bit time consuming, but possible.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 5
RE: RN Carriers - 12/7/2016 2:56:22 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

If nobody provides a quick answer, one way is to check the scenario's database through the scenario editor and try to find those ships. It might be a bit time consuming, but possible.

Cheers,
CC

Or just start a game as the Allies and find the ships in the reinforcement queue - then find their withdrawal date.
Note though that against a PBEM opponent this would be getting data that the Japanese did not have IRL, so it is somewhat gamey.
The case for doing it says that any Japanese player who played as the Allies previously would have this info, so why shouldn't other IJ players.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 6
RE: RN Carriers - 12/7/2016 4:08:09 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Or just start a game as the Allies and find the ships in the reinforcement queue - then find their withdrawal date.
Note though that against a PBEM opponent this would be getting data that the Japanese did not have IRL, so it is somewhat gamey.
The case for doing it says that any Japanese player who played as the Allies previously would have this info, so why shouldn't other IJ players.

As an honorable opponent, I had never opened the game as the Japanese until my PBEM against ChezDaJez was finished. I did not want to have any extra knowledge about his OOB than I had accumulated through a lifetime of reading about (and playing in various games) the Pacific Theater.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: RN Carriers - 12/7/2016 2:32:06 PM   
jwolf

The one break the Allies get in this regard is the CVL Hermes. Because it was sunk historically, it isn't in the withdraw list, so -- if it doesn't meet its historical fate -- the Allied player gets to keep it in service forever. But it is a very small carrier with sharply limited capacity. Still, anything is better than nothing. The other Brit carriers do withdraw at various points during 1942 and very early 1943.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: RN Carriers - 12/7/2016 7:35:44 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Cheers,
CC

As an honorable opponent, I had never opened the game as the Japanese until my PBEM against ChezDaJez was finished. I did not want to have any extra knowledge about his OOB than I had accumulated through a lifetime of reading about (and playing in various games) the Pacific Theater.

Yeah, I don't look at the Japanese OOB during a game but have looked at it many times in the past ten years and know it well enough. That said, I have no objection if my opponent does so. I don't think someone who does not have a solid historical background should be punished and the Allies (at least) had a pretty good picture of what was coming from the Japanese. Look away. I don't care. Only objection is if my opponent is looking at the schedule with plans of intercepting a key reinforcement and sink it. But if this happened at the board edge, the game would end.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 9
RE: RN Carriers - 12/8/2016 3:03:33 AM   
bradfordkay

In our first PBEM (WITP) Steve proposed a "no attacking ships at map entry points" house rule (even though he was the Empire of Japan), among others. After playing that game until August '44 when we quit due to the massive alien abduction of one third of our pilots, we had no house rules for our AE game since we were both quite comfortable with each others' playing style.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: RN Carriers - 12/8/2016 7:54:12 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
"when we quit due to the massive alien abduction of one third of our pilots"

Like this???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0bBUmZHb8o

Post #: 11
RE: RN Carriers - 12/8/2016 7:57:37 AM   
geoffreyg

Many thanks for the above responses - some interesting points made.

Post #: 12
RE: RN Carriers - 12/8/2016 7:10:16 PM   
Zigurat666

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffreyg

Playing as the Japanese I understand that 3 RN carriers appear as reinforcements in 1942 and HMS Victorious in Feb 1943.
However I think some then get withdrawn and I wondered when this occurred and when they returned.
Many thanks in advance.

They wont be asking for this one back...

Allied Ships
DD Nizam
CV Indomitable, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
CL Glasgow

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RN Carriers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI