Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to TELL APART units with commands and units that ar... - 12/8/2016 3:47:25 PM   
pavel01

I am trying to learn all of the complexities about WiTP AE and reading a whole lot from the Manual to the Forums.

I am doing little progress every day but there still is one thing which I have so far been unable to figure out : how to tell whether a given Unit is "idle" or not.

I am trying to learn with the Campaign as Japan.

At start, there is already a number of Units organized in Task Forces and under Computer's control and I am good with that. Too ignorant to want to take manual control of them right away....

Yet, this causes me a problem. Often when I try to manually issue commands to Units which I "think" are not already under the Computer command, I screw up and cancel their former orders sometimes and thus messing up the pre-set plans of attack.

Kindly, glyphoglossus helped me out with the building of new Ships' Task Forces suggesting to "filter out" the "In TFs" so as to cross out all Ships which already are "busy" in a Task Force and thus, already having commands.

But what about Land and Air Units ?

How do I find out whether any Land or Air Units in a given Base are already "busy" with existing orders to perhaps Board Transports (or Carriers) or other commands so that I do not risk cancelling them inadvertedly ?

I would hope that I would not have to check them all one by one looking in details what their orders might be, if any.....

Thanks for the help !

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 12/8/2016 3:53:12 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 4:20:10 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

This game is not for the faint-hearted nor the instant gratification types.It requires micromanagement. Setting-up the first turn of a grand campaign scenario can easily take six hours and more. Some units already have attack orders or move orders, but not necessarily according to your wishes. Maybe you just run a few turns to see which units do move or attack to get an idea and then start over. Some guys here have played the game since the beginning and are still learning by playing and reading the forum (me included, and I am one of the longest-standing forum members). The learning curve of this game is steep, some say it is not a game but a second profession.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 2
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 4:39:49 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

This game is not for the faint-hearted nor the instant gratification types.It requires micromanagement. Setting-up the first turn of a grand campaign scenario can easily take six hours and more. Some units already have attack orders or move orders, but not necessarily according to your wishes. Maybe you just run a few turns to see which units do move or attack to get an idea and then start over. Some guys here have played the game since the beginning and are still learning by playing and reading the forum (me included, and I am one of the longest-standing forum members). The learning curve of this game is steep, some say it is not a game but a second profession.

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed the game is very complex but that is not what worries me, over time, I hope, I will try to learn the ins and outs, step by step.

Though, the very first step, I would imagine, would be to be able to "tell apart" which Units already have pre-set commands and which not.

Should I understand from your answer that there is simply not a way to tell them apart ?

My only way would be to "run a few turns" and see what Units will move on their own and keep track of that in order to figure out which Units I could freely issue orders to without "messing up" with the pre-set computer orders ?

If so, I am quite surprised, I hoped that there would have been a much simpler and handier way to tell them apart without having to run a few turns first.....

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 12/8/2016 4:42:16 PM >

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 3
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 4:42:51 PM   
Yaab

Some Jap TFs on turn 1 have special movement bonus.

Manual p.268
Certain Japanese Naval TFs will move at twenty times
their normal speed to reach their destination

They are denoted by * sign in the TF screen.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 4
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 4:50:59 PM   
Canoerebel

Your question is a complicated one because there is no easy answer. There's no "Find" box for the game where you can type in "Which units are idle" and - presto - get the exact info in the exact format you're looking for.

As you become accustomed to the GUI (graphical user interface), you'll find ways to find information that you need, though perhaps not everything you wanted. For instance, with regard to "idle" units for Japan at the start of the game, you can click the Ground Units tab on the main Information Screen. Then you can sort the list of ground units in a variety of ways. One way would be to sort for "Preparation" - which shows you what base the unit is prepping for. You can also sort for "mode." Any unit in "move" mode is "walking" somewhere. Units in "strategic mode" may be aboard ship or embarked on a "train," and units in "combat" mode may simply be sitting at a base or in a terrain hex. Those are the ones I think you are most interested in. So you then, manually but relatively efficiently, check each unit in "combat" mode to see what they're doing and what they're prepping for. Then you can issue new orders for the unit.

You can also narrow the filters to only apply to army units or infantry or engineers or HQ or armor, etc.

So it's not necessarily quick and easy to do what you want to do - the GUI is dated and sometimes a bit cumbersome - but as you become accustomed to it, you'll be able to quickly access the kind of information you need to do things.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 5
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 4:56:42 PM   
Chickenboy

In general, troops or units from Northwestern Georgia are prone to idleness. Their ilk should not be placed in any position of responsibility in the field.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 5:59:29 PM   
Canoerebel

Bear in mind that any unit ever posted to or stationed in Minnesota will not budge from winter quarters until July 13. They will re-enter winter quarters on August 18th. All campaigns must take place within that 36-day window. Unaccustomed to sunlight, they typically have pasty white arms and thighs and make winsome young lasses nervous. The WitP creators considered installing a "Downgrade" button so that players could strip units from Minnesota of all equipment except sunblock.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 6:00:04 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Your question is a complicated one because there is no easy answer. There's no "Find" box for the game where you can type in "Which units are idle" and - presto - get the exact info in the exact format you're looking for.

As you become accustomed to the GUI (graphical user interface), you'll find ways to find information that you need, though perhaps not everything you wanted. For instance, with regard to "idle" units for Japan at the start of the game, you can click the Ground Units tab on the main Information Screen. Then you can sort the list of ground units in a variety of ways. One way would be to sort for "Preparation" - which shows you what base the unit is prepping for. You can also sort for "mode." Any unit in "move" mode is "walking" somewhere. Units in "strategic mode" may be aboard ship or embarked on a "train," and units in "combat" mode may simply be sitting at a base or in a terrain hex. Those are the ones I think you are most interested in. So you then, manually but relatively efficiently, check each unit in "combat" mode to see what they're doing and what they're prepping for. Then you can issue new orders for the unit.

You can also narrow the filters to only apply to army units or infantry or engineers or HQ or armor, etc.

So it's not necessarily quick and easy to do what you want to do - the GUI is dated and sometimes a bit cumbersome - but as you become accustomed to it, you'll be able to quickly access the kind of information you need to do things.

Thank you so much for the informative reply.

When I press the "Ground" Units Tab (G key), I get the attached gump.

I cannot see there, any "Preparation" filter. There is the "OpMode" filter but aside from the fact that almost all are set on "Combat", that includes also Units simply sitting at a Base and just being set on Combat to defend that base...

What I am trying to say, is that it does not help me to separate the Units which actually the Computer has "plans to use" with those which are just sitting there doing nothing which I "could" perhaps give orders to, for example....

The other Filters for the Ground Units that I can see are All Units, All NAtions, IJ Army, IJ Navy. HQ Units, Infantry, Armor, Artillery, Enginners.

Pressing Show Soft rather then Show Hard does not change the Filters but only the Colums Headings....

Can WitPTracker AE help me out with this ?
Is there any of the Tables within it which I could double check to finally be able to tell apart the Units not being given orders by the Computer ?

Thanks again for the help !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 6:13:42 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: pavel01
What I am trying to say, is that it does not help me to separate the Units which actually the Computer has "plans to use" with those which are just sitting there doing nothing which I "could" perhaps give orders to, for example....

There is no "Computer" when you are playing Grand Campaigh. All the units answer to you only and will do what you order them to do, with no exceptions bar Autoconvoy system.
Whatever "plans to use" were set by scenario designers as initial orders, TF loadouts and destinations etc. Those starting orders resemble what was there historically on Dec-7/41, both for Allies and Japan.
Getting yourself acquainted woth your OOB is a part of the learning curve. Eventually you would learn what combat and support unints you have available, what come as reinforcements and when, what units are unrestricted so you can move them far. Starting orders for Japan give a good enough outline of the invasion plans. But you can always change them, and experienced players do this a lot

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 9
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 6:17:36 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

Thank you so much for the informative reply.

I cannot see there, any "Preparation" filter. There is the "OpMode" filter but aside from the fact that almost all are set on "Combat", that includes also Units simply sitting at a Base and just being set on Combat to defend that base...

Oops, rather than "Preparation," I meant "Target" - the column on the far right.

If the computer has plans to use a unit, then usually you'll find a "Target" designated. If it says "At Target," that probably means the computer currently has the unit slated to stay there.

The other Filters for the Ground Units that I can see are All Units, All NAtions, IJ Army, IJ Navy. HQ Units, Infantry, Armor, Artillery, Enginners.

Pressing Show Soft rather then Show Hard does not change the Filters but only the Colums Headings....

Can WitPTracker AE help me out with this ?
Is there any of the Tables within it which I could double check to finally be able to tell apart the Units not being given orders by the Computer ?

Thanks again for the help !

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 10
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 6:41:55 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

There is no "Computer" when you are playing Grand Campaigh. All the units answer to you only and will do what you order them to do, with no exceptions bar Autoconvoy system.
Whatever "plans to use" were set by scenario designers as initial orders, TF loadouts and destinations etc. Those starting orders resemble what was there historically on Dec-7/41, both for Allies and Japan.
Getting yourself acquainted woth your OOB is a part of the learning curve. Eventually you would learn what combat and support unints you have available, what come as reinforcements and when, what units are unrestricted so you can move them far. Starting orders for Japan give a good enough outline of the invasion plans. But you can always change them, and experienced players do this a lot

Thank you for the clarification.

My trouble is, that I am already a few turns (like the 4th) and still have the Computer launch pre-set historical attacks which I would hate to disrupt as I still know way too little to mess up with that....

By the way, talking about that, after the Hawaii December 7th Attack (pre-set because of the Historical option), the Task Forces on the 2nd Turn heads back to Home Ports rather then insisting on a second wave and perhaps even a third wave of attacks in order to attempt sinking more US Ships.

Is that normal or should the AI attempt at launching more then just 1 day of attacks ?

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 11
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 6:57:03 PM   
btd64

The attack on Pearl is historical. You can have it stay and attack again if you wish.

Also, I would suggest going thru all of the dropdown menus across the top and invest some time looking through them and tinkering with them. One other thing, Don't feel like you have to play the game to the end. Start over and over and over. It gets you familar with the game and you can change settings each time to see what they do. I always keep a notebook on my desk to make notes.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 12
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 7:06:43 PM   
Zigurat666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Tracker does have an Op Mode which will tell you if the LCU is in combat,move,rest,strat etc, but you wouldn't be able to utilize it until turn 2 since you cant load turn 1

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 13
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 8:28:29 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

The attack on Pearl is historical. You can have it stay and attack again if you wish.

Also, I would suggest going thru all of the dropdown menus across the top and invest some time looking through them and tinkering with them. One other thing, Don't feel like you have to play the game to the end. Start over and over and over. It gets you familar with the game and you can change settings each time to see what they do. I always keep a notebook on my desk to make notes.....GP

Thank you for the good advice. I have already restarted it like about 10 times and only went as far as to the 4th turn so far.... I guess then that I am learning it the right way :)

It will take time, I can see that, lots of time.....

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 14
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/8/2016 10:01:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Thank you for the good advice. I have already restarted it like about 10 times and only went as far as to the 4th turn so far.... I guess then that I am learning it the right way :)

Hopefully you are not starting from scratch each time. You should be able to use your saved first turn setup and just modify it to try different approaches in subsequent games. Most of the first turn setup is logistics that do not really require changing much. I hope someone referred you to Kull's spreadsheets for the recommended initial setup?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 15
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:43:49 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

There's no Preparation filter, but the number after the slash in the Target column is the percent preparation for the named Target.

The Moose

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 16
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:46:12 AM   
rustysi

Another thing I will suggest here. If you haven't read an AAR it will describe a lot for you and you will get the 'flow' of the game better. I would suggest Mike Solli's since you are playing Japan. Its dead now, but you'll find it on page three of the AAR board. Immense info there that should help newbies' get started, and you'll get a 'real' sense what it takes to tackle this game. Remember its not a 'learning curve' its a 'learning cliff'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 8:21:00 AM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Hopefully you are not starting from scratch each time. You should be able to use your saved first turn setup and just modify it to try different approaches in subsequent games. Most of the first turn setup is logistics that do not really require changing much. I hope someone referred you to Kull's spreadsheets for the recommended initial setup?

Well, the confusion for me comes from the fact that there seems to be different "schools of thought" as to what setup one should follow....

I read about Kull, but also Nomad and others.....

For someone like me, already totally new to this great War game, to also need to sort out in between different "schools of thought" adds up to the confusion.....

Could someone waymore knowledged then me please clarify in what and how these different "schools of thought" vary ?

I mean, what are the relevant points to one's approach or the other's ?

Thanks !!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 8:24:52 AM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Another thing I will suggest here. If you haven't read an AAR it will describe a lot for you and you will get the 'flow' of the game better. I would suggest Mike Solli's since you are playing Japan. Its dead now, but you'll find it on page three of the AAR board. Immense info there that should help newbies' get started, and you'll get a 'real' sense what it takes to tackle this game. Remember its not a 'learning curve' its a 'learning cliff'.

You mean this one ? Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 12/9/2016 8:25:22 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 19
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 10:58:41 AM   
geofflambert

You two kill me sometimes. Historically you have demonstrated some really good chemistry. I still remember CR posting a pic of some 1930s era car that was caught up in a landslide or something and CB said "CR, what happened to your car?" I still giggle about that.

The simple answer to this thread is don't play with anything not being manual. You won't learn much if you let the AI do it. You'll ask "why did it do that?". Why ask that, do it yourself and you'll know.
If it blows up in your face you'll have learned something. How are you going to become an obsessive WitP-AE player if you let the AI do anything? You can't.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/9/2016 11:14:27 AM >

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 20
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 11:01:44 AM   
geofflambert

Oh, and just so you newbies are not confused, you cannot take the Minnesota out of the Chickenboy who has gotten himself lost somewhere in Texas.

I think CB had to move out of MN because Bullwinkle moved in.

Illinois exiled Bullwinkle to Minnesota because the Cubs would have no chance of ever winning a World Series with him there. As a result, however, Kirby Puckett is in great distress.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/9/2016 11:34:53 AM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 21
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 11:10:15 AM   
HansBolter

Stop trying to use lists to find your units.

While the lists will tell you their location, they provides no context.
You need to review the units in place on the map to understand the context of what they are doing.

Idleness is a relative term.
A division that is garrisoning an important base to provide sufficient defense against the enemy may appear idle but it's performing a valuable function and it's organic engineers are likely working on the building of forts/airfields/ports or repairs.
The organic AA guns may be firing at attacking planes.
Just because the parent unit has no active order other than defense doesn't mean that devices within the unit are idle.

The BEST way to review what your troops may or may not be doing is to look in on them in place.
Review your force dispositions by sector, by area, by theater in whatever way makes best sense for you.

I start in one location and work my way around the entire map each turn.

This is my SOP:

Turn end returns to Pearl so I start there reviewing what I need to do with all units at Pearl (air, land and naval).
I then jump to the East Coast, from there to the bases at the Panama Canal.
From there I work my way up the west coast ending in the Alaskan theater.
I ten jump over Pearl to the Line Islands, form there to Tahiti.
From Tahiti to Auckland. From Auckland to Pago Pago. From there west to Suva, Noumaea and then on to Australia.
Up the east coast, then diagonal to Perth and up that coast to Darwin.
From Darwin up through the eastern DEI to the PI. back down through Borneo to Java.
Java to Sumatra. Sumatra to Cape Town.
Cape Town to Diego, Diego to Aden, Aden to Abadan.
Abadan to Karachi, Karachi down the west coast to Colombo, Colombo up the east coast to Calcutta.
Calcutta to Chittagong, Chittagong down through Burma and Malaysia.
Malaysia to China.

Figure out what kind of a circuit around the board makes best sense to you and create a routine you can implement that ensures you review everything.

Don't forget to review the OPs report from last turn to see what unit shave taken replacement sand received upgrades.
Review the Information screen to see what reinforcements arrive this turn and over the next few turns.
Check the stocks in your air pools.
Check the losses for both sides.

Context is everything. You can't get it from reviewing lists.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 12/9/2016 11:59:52 AM >

Hans

Post #: 22
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 11:18:47 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

My relatives resent your comment.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/9/2016 11:23:11 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 11:29:14 AM   
geofflambert

This one too.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:33:04 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Stop trying to use lists to find your units.

While the lists will tell you their location, they provides no context.
You need to review the units in place on the map to understand the context of what they are doing.

A division that is garrisoning an important base to provide sufficient defense against the enemy may appear idle but it's performing a valuable function and it's organic engineers are likely working on the building of forts/airfields/ports or repairs.
The organic AA guns may be firing at attacking planes.
Just because the parent unit has no active order other than defense doesn't mean that devices within the unit are idle.

The BEST way to review what your troops may or may not be doing is to look in on them in place.
Review your force dispositions by sector, by area, by theater in whatever way makes best sense for you.

I start in one location and work my way around the entire map each turn.

This is my SOP:

Turn end returns to Pearl so I start there reviewing what I need to do with all units at Pearl (air, land and naval).
I then jump to the East Coast, from there to the bases at the Panama Canal.
From there I work my way up the west coast ending in the Alaskan theater.
I ten jump over Pearl to the Line Islands, form there to Tahiti.
From Tahiti to Auckland. From Auckland to Pago Pago. From there west to Suva, Noumaea and then on to Australia.
Up the east coast, then diagonal to Perth and up that coast to Darwin.
From Darwin up through the eastern DEI to the PI. back down through Borneo to Java.
Java to Sumatra. Sumatra to Cape Town.
Cape Town to Diego, Diego to Aden, Aden to Abadan.
Abadan to Karachi, Karachi down the west coast to Colombo, Colombo up the east coast to Calcutta.
Calcutta to Chittagong, Chittagong down through Burma and Malaysia.
Malaysia to China.

Figure out what kind of a circuit around the board makes best sense to you and create a routine you can implement that ensures you review everything.

Don't forget to review the OPs report from last turn to see what unit shave taken replacement sand received upgrades.
Review the Information screen to see what reinforcements arrive this turn and over the next few turns.
Check the stocks in your air pools.
Check the losses for both sides.

Context is everything. You can't get it from reviewing lists.

Have you installed Tracker? In addition to the excellent advice Hans has outlined, I try and keep my thoughts and plans organized with Tracker output. I export various reports from Tracker via the "export CSV" command. Using Excel, I can then create and sort information in various ways.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 25
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:35:03 PM   
Yaab

I can tell you which units are idle for sure: HQs, base forces and CD units. Always goldbricking, alway work-shy.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 26
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:37:45 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You two kill me sometimes. Historically you have demonstrated some really good chemistry. I still remember CR posting a pic of some 1930s era car that was caught up in a landslide or something and CB said "CR, what happened to your car?" I still giggle about that.

The simple answer to this thread is don't play with anything not being manual. You won't learn much if you let the AI do it. You'll ask "why did it do that?". Why ask that, do it yourself and you'll know.
If it blows up in your face you'll have learned something. How are you going to become an obsessive WitP-AE player if you let the AI do anything? You can't.

Well, as a "learner", my assumption is that, since the A.I. has been scripted by those who actually Designed and coded the game, it knows what to do and how to best do it.

So, initially, I actually welcome much the fact that there are pre-set Orders of Battle scripted in the game because I can "learn" from seeing what the Computer does, how it does it and so forth.

That's why, at least while I am still learning, I would "hate" to screw up with the pre-set Orders of Battle of my Units because then I would cease to learn what the Computer does and how it does it.

Yet, to run turns just to see what the Computer does with me doing nothing is neither much appealing and that is why I would like to find Units not being used to at least start giving my little Orders of Battle on a side and see how it goes....

Post #: 27
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:47:59 PM   
Yaab

Pavel, I guess it would be easier if you started learning to play as the Allies. Choosing Japan as a learning tool is like committing harakiri while trying to drive a car on a busy street.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 28
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 12:50:35 PM   
geofflambert

Yes, I came into playing this game after many years of playing other wargames and studying military history. So I came in with lots of (I presume and to some extent know) preconceived notions (which are usually bad) but some idea how such a game should be, how it should work, what problems would be likely to occur as far as a resemblance to reality goes, and how you might attempt to go about simulating "reality" with pre-programmed algorithms. My advice is don't try to learn anything from those algorithms, they are programmed to fail, regardless of how hard the coders tried to make it otherwise. Don't play against the AI any longer than it takes to learn the basic mechanics. After that, if you don't feel ready to face a PBEM opponent, play with yourself. Just don't let your mom see you doing it.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 29
RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units tha... - 12/9/2016 5:15:35 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
After that, if you don't feel ready to face a PBEM opponent, play with yourself. Just don't let your mom see you doing it.

Cheeky Gorn propaganda right there :)

Pavel, have you played the smaller scenarios. They are designed to get you through steps by feeding you this learning cliff piecemeal. Coral Sea (tactical) then Guadalcanal (tactical + some logistics) then maybe 1000 mile war (+ more logistics). Learning the game through Japan GC is the hardest route IMO because obviously Japan war machine is a pinnacle of evolution in warfare and economics. It is just that dastard numerical advantage that is overwhelming us JFBs in the end. Long live the Emperor!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI