Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 5:09:50 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.

But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?

Star Trek IV (the one you cite) was good for its campy humor and good story line. The 'save the whales' mantra was overplayed, IMO.

I think the disparity in the quality of the Star Trek movies has much more to do with screenwriting, acting and directing than profitability. Who *doesn't* want to make money from their movies? If they can make money from dramatic appeal or introspective science fiction rather than graphics explosions and stuff, then that works too.

I couldn't tell you which movie had better special effects: Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan or Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. But I *can* tell you which movie set my teeth on edge more with poor screenwriting and a boring plotline. Hint: NOT Wrath of Khan.

Besides, Ricardo Montalban was awesome!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1801
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 5:14:30 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency.

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.

I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1802
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 5:31:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency.

I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.

First Contact
rated the best movie with the Next Generation cast. I concur. I disagreed with their rating of Insurrection as the poorest in the franchise. With the ST:TNG crew, that dubious disctinction falls squarely on Nemesis.

In turn, Nemesis ranks second to last in my book. Star Trek V nearly put me off of Star Trek altogether. It was an unmitigated dumpster fire. Guess who directed it?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1803
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 5:36:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Here's a cheat sheet.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/star-trek-times-enterprise-blown.html/?a=viewall

Don't forget the 18 times that Enterprise was destroyed in "Cause and Effect" (ST:TNG).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1804
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 5:47:58 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

First Contact
rated the best movie with the Next Generation cast. I concur. I disagreed with their rating of Insurrection as the poorest in the franchise. With the ST:TNG crew, that dubious disctinction falls squarely on Nemesis.

In turn, Nemesis ranks second to last in my book. Star Trek V nearly put me off of Star Trek altogether. It was an unmitigated dumpster fire. Guess who directed it?

Guessing: Shatner?

Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1805
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:02:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Ding ding ding!

Was it the 'talking back to God' that gave it away? Who would have the temerity to do that?

quote:

Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I kept hoping for the predator ship in Nemesis to blast the Enterprise to pieces so I wouldn't have to watch any more of the insipid and tired acting. It was obvious that Patrick Stewart et.al. had moved on from their roles in the movie series. Their heart just wasn't in it any more.

I'm grateful to the reboot for salvaging this franchise. Without the reboots, I think it would have petered out after Nemesis and the flagging Enterprise series.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1806
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:15:31 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Ding ding ding!

Was it the 'talking back to God' that gave it away? Who would have the temerity to do that?
Monty Python!
quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I kept hoping for the predator ship in Nemesis to blast the Enterprise to pieces so I wouldn't have to watch any more of the insipid and tired acting. It was obvious that Patrick Stewart et.al. had moved on from their roles in the movie series. Their heart just wasn't in it any more.
It wasn't great, I just think it was as bad as many made it out to be. For me it wasn't a let down from TNG because TNG was... oh, we covered that already.

I'm grateful to the reboot for salvaging this franchise. Without the reboots, I think it would have petered out after Nemesis and the flagging Enterprise series.
I've only seen part of the first season of Enterprise so far. Missed it totally on first runs.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1807
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:20:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

It wasn't great, I just think it was as bad as many made it out to be.

I *didn't* fix this for you.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1808
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:53:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

It wasn't great, I just think it wasn't as bad as many made it out to be.

I *didn't* fix this for you.

Fixed!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1809
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 9:42:09 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Well you spelled 'principle' correctly, but you should have used 'principal'.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1810
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 10:07:20 PM   
Chickenboy

Some information for you BBfanboy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1811
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 10:45:00 PM   
witpqs

But that wasn't a grammar comment...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1812
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 10:56:21 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Some information for you BBfanboy.

OOOO - a man with a cool brown shirt - just like Boy Scouts of America!
Can I get the armband with a different logo >>>>

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1813
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 11:12:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

But that wasn't a grammar comment...

I couldn't find the Rudolf Hess meme as a spelling nazi, so it will have to do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1814
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 11:13:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Can I get the armband with a different logo >>>>

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1815
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 11:19:16 PM   
geofflambert

All those movies are utter crap because I'm not in them. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I got a regular paycheck from Paramount? I mean, the residuals are nice but I'm just twiddling my thumbs here. I'm doing all the stretches and excersises to be ready to launch styrofoam boulders anywhere. I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1816
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/9/2016 12:29:48 AM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

All those movies are utter crap because I'm not in them. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I got a regular paycheck from Paramount? I mean, the residuals are nice but I'm just twiddling my thumbs here. I'm doing all the stretches and excersises to be ready to launch styrofoam boulders anywhere. I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.

Didn't you have a cameo in Ted 2?
I could swear that was you thrashing someone in the comic-con fight scene.
EDIT: quoted because... well it should be obvious ;-)

< Message edited by Will_L -- 12/9/2016 12:30:38 AM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1817
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/9/2016 1:36:58 AM   
geofflambert

That was my sinister twin brother, I think. I have no idea what you're talking about, so that's just my best guess. You know, my evil twin actually likes Kirk and gets along with him fine. If I could catch him, well that would be the end of him.

I'm suspecting you are one of his compatriots since you have not remarked on how much you would like JLC to dance over your face.

Don't talk to me about yogurt or whatever she appears to use as sustenance, oh, I've already gone too far. Never mind.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/9/2016 1:40:57 AM >

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 1818
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/9/2016 2:26:31 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.

Are you paying her enough to nibble on you? I'd require quite a premium for that sort of behavior.

Post #: 1819
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 3:32:31 AM   
geofflambert

OK, like all good gorns, I was in bed and asleep at ten p.m. when I get woken up. Some knucklehead drove his car through my front yard, took out two sections of fence, went over a retaining wall and ended up upside down in the street. Exhibit A was a broken Heineken bottle near my front porch. Exhibit B was a pistol in the same general area. Exhibit C was a couple of Trojans, not malware, condoms, in my yard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1820
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 3:33:38 AM   
geofflambert

And this

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1821
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 3:52:19 AM   
geofflambert

I was the one who found exhibits 1, 2 and 3. By the time I got my camera out the fuzz had bagged the gun. They, however, were not thirsty or desirous of copulating and I'll have a little cleanup to do in the morning.

And no, that was not the General Lee.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/12/2016 4:10:45 AM >

Post #: 1822
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 4:05:59 AM   
witpqs

Be careful - if those thongs have been used they do constitute malware!

Post #: 1823
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 4:11:58 AM   
geofflambert

Still in their golden foil packages.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1824
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 4:13:44 AM   
geofflambert

We gorn, you know when we get frightened our tails fall off!? Well, if we try and use condoms a similar thing happens.

Post #: 1825
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 4:18:53 AM   
geofflambert

You know, my motto, displayed at the bottom of my avatar? That doesn't refer to combat, but something else.

Post #: 1826
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 4:44:42 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

Be careful - if those thongs have been used they do constitute malware!

OK, my poor old eyes misread things all the time. What is this about used thongs? Where can I get some of them?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1827
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 5:35:16 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Be careful - if those things have been used they do constitute malware!

OK, my poor old eyes misread things all the time. What is this about used thongs? Where can I get some of them?

Post #: 1828
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 3:51:44 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

We gorn, you know when we get frightened our tails fall off!? Well, if we try and use condoms a similar thing happens.

You loose your tail if you practice Safe Sex? Isn't that sorta like betting your @$$ off?

Post #: 1829
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 9:44:36 PM   
Will_L_OLD

So... you were shooting Trojan balloons with your sidearm while sitting on your porch downing a Heineken,
accidentally plugged a passing motorist who then lost control of the vehicle which took out a couple
of fence sections while narrowly avoiding a fire hydrant and flipped over after striking a low obstacle.
Is that correct sir?

Had a car totaled a few years ago by an idiot driving while using a cell phone and turning onto my block.
Was the last time I took the parking spot near the corner. Neighbor saw the hit but the SUV was able to drive
off before she got the plate number.

< Message edited by Will_L -- 12/12/2016 9:50:05 PM >

Post #: 1830
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI