Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 11/30/2016 3:14:29 PM   
TheBattlefield

Hello, strategists!

After a very play-intensive beta-test phase I look currently after the takeover of my Battlefield Europe Mod in the newest and up to now best game engine of Strategic Command. I lay my attention by the majority on the units and their representation and behavior in the game. The conversions which are necessary for the change of the modified OOB and new developments in the area of the unit graphics are rather time consuming. But I hope that in the result the good experiences from the predecessor's versions for Strategic Command 2 can be reached and be further developed. I would like to give you a small view of my work for the campaign "1939 Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces".

The scale

It is furthermore my aim to preserve the game feeling and the excellent balance of the original version. In addition, I would like to raise the number and range of the used units discreetly. Also a few smaller changes concerning their strategical-tactical possibilities should be developed. For this purpose I would like to maintain the basic gradation of the original version. Now this serves as a basis of a new unit structure and their optical presentation. The infantry armies and tank armies form furthermore the core units and the spearhead of the modified OOB. Only these large formations receive an ability to double attack. While the original game falls back on the corps level to represent a front unit of the second order, I will restructure this unit category by the majority on the division level (in the simplistic relation of 1 Army=2 Corps=4 Divisions). This kind of restructuring makes it possible to insert various up to now not considered military formations into the game.

In the forums it was discussed several times the sense of a representation of divisions in a strategy game of the current scale. Who knows a little about military organizations might well be able to understand that the deployment of divisions does not represent the "gamey" part of the present OOB, but the representation of corps and armies as operational units. A division is the smallest still independently operating large military formation. Corps and armies are pure organization units. In absence of unit stacking or (for this game rather suitable) corps/army container units, whose fight values arises from the cross section of the freely attached divisions, the deployment of operational armies is compelling inevitably not to overload the map with a flood of independent units.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 11/30/2016 3:15:36 PM   
TheBattlefield

Contentious issue Waffen-SS

To anticipate it, my Mod illustrates historically relevant units of the Waffen-SS as well as for balance reasons also units of the Red Army Guards at the division level. The introduction of a division level in my Mod brought this question even more urgently on the agenda, because these troops put out historically an increasing portion of the German armed forces. However, may a strategy game show these combat units rightly associated with considerable war crimes? In certain borders I would say: Yes! Also the German Wehrmacht have made their hands dirty on many theatres of war more than once. Same is also valid for the Red Army. Even the Western Allies have executed the one or other operation which may seem rather questionable from today's view. Of logical manner we would see only units of the Red Cross on the map at the end. But we (hopefully) do not want to enjoy any cruelty and mass murders in the game, but carry out and vary strategical-tactical decisions at a rather abstract level whose background forms the geopolitical and technical situation of the Second World War. Consequently there will be no glorification or public festivals of swastika, but "only" a historical picture of military formations. If you would like to reject the "black" units furthermore, please feel invited to simply deny this event.

Events
A row of new and changed events are in planning. Exemplarily are called here the operation Arctic fox terrier as well as a manual protection of the Iranian oil wells and supply routes to the Soviet Union. An Italian adventure in Greece becomes more difficult be to be prevented and an Operation Sealion become even more demanding.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TheBattlefield)
Post #: 2
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 11/30/2016 3:16:33 PM   
TheBattlefield

The new theory of colors

The takeover of the hybrid representation of naval forces also for the units of the air force as well as the more logical gradation of the available units in divisional formations allow a little more clear representation with the Nato symbols. Also the 3D-representation was adapted accordingly of the anew organized OOB. I would like to give you a small foretaste at the example of the already finished red army…

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/1/2016 1:56:37 AM   
crispy131313

Your unit scale looks very ambitious. Thanks for sharing your efforts so far!

Post #: 4
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/1/2016 3:47:50 PM   
Biker1984

You just made my day. This looks amazing :)

Thanks a lot.

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 5
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/2/2016 1:56:22 AM   
Rosseau

Hah! I was hoping you would be back. Please keep us updated; looks great.

(in reply to Biker1984)
Post #: 6
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/2/2016 4:25:47 PM   
TheBattlefield

I have now finalized the Russian Nato icons. I hope you like it...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 7
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/2/2016 7:00:50 PM   
TheBattlefield

...and the Germans!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/3/2016 3:26:40 AM   
n0kn0k

Looks nice!

Post #: 9
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/9/2016 3:55:11 PM   
TheBattlefield

I successfully completed the implementation of the Red Army Guards and the Waffen-SS. In the meantime, almost all unit icons are ready. In addition, I have inserted the now manually performed Operation Countenance (including the Allied AI Offensive script). Slowly it is moving forward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 10
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/9/2016 6:30:09 PM   
Ason

Yes!! Very nice! This is just what I wanted! Will you make SS/Guards a part of Germany/USSR or will they be separate countries?

Post #: 11
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/9/2016 6:57:50 PM   
TheBattlefield

They are minor-based and fully incorporate into the Russian/German OOB.

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 12
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/9/2016 11:21:45 PM   
dittonmh

Sounds great. Where is the mod download?

Bravo 16.

Post #: 13
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/10/2016 10:27:16 AM   
TheBattlefield

The partial very elaborate work for my mod is still deep in the transfer phase of my published SC2 Mod to the new game engine. There is still a lot of work ahead. Various events have to be adapted and inserted with extended commands. The existing SC2 graphics from the areas of bitmaps, interface and media must be converted, adapted and transferred. My mod sound files must be converted into ogg files and imported. The unit values must be adapted to the new OOB. The same applies to various AI scripts. Also the unit names of the new division level have to be collected. Then I would love to readjust the look of the game map something. Although the surface of the new strategic masterpiece has been much more modern and pleasing in its entirety, the attention to detail with regard to units, resources and landscape has been greatly abstracted in the second view. Maybe we can do something here. I would like to see what the other graphic modders will come up with. And when everything is finished and chic comes the test run and finally the release...

(in reply to dittonmh)
Post #: 14
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/11/2016 1:06:48 PM   
ScottGridley

Looking forward to playing this mod! Keep up the great work and be sure to let me know when you need testers!

---IGNIS UBI PARATUS

Post #: 15
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/14/2016 1:46:35 PM   
TheBattlefield

I did a bit of the map graphics and once made the ports. For my Mod I wanted an optics, which looks somewhat less like a "coastal battery". On Googlemaps I've selected an average port for this purpose, brought to the desired scale and adapted to the game graphics.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ScottGridley)
Post #: 16
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/14/2016 1:48:09 PM   
TheBattlefield

I think the result is ok. Suggestions?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/14/2016 3:08:19 PM   
Cantona66

Nice, overall very Nices images

Post #: 18
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/14/2016 5:42:43 PM   
TheBattlefield

Next, the special resources. Following the example of the ports, I have inserted small icons with crossed hammers or an oil barrel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cantona66)
Post #: 19
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/21/2016 6:17:03 PM   
TheBattlefield

I just try a little around with the resources and unit counters...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/21/2016 6:48:28 PM   
FlightOfIcarus

Great! Even better than the initial units, IMHO

"Flight as High as the Sun"

Post #: 21
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/22/2016 12:59:11 AM   
Meyer1

These last counters are much much better.

(in reply to FlightOfIcarus)
Post #: 22
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/25/2016 5:43:05 PM   
TheBattlefield

I continued my work with the new counterstyle and finished the German units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 23
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/26/2016 6:30:02 PM   
SIPRES

Really nice Artwork.

Superbe!!!!!

Post #: 24
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 12/27/2016 10:20:10 AM   
captain10

Love your new counters!

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 25
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 1/1/2017 9:46:12 PM   
Ason

So did you scrap those first counter types? I thought they were awesome :(
It was easy to see which units were normal and which were elites.

On the new ones you can hardly tell which ones are SS.

I would lose the pictures of soldiers/tanks etc and only have Nato symbols(atleast for ground units). Right now it's kind of a mix between 3d units and counters.. Why not have them separate?

I absolutely loved the first ones, only thing I would change would be to make the Nato symbol bigger and the helmets smaller, instead of the other way around(Not really sure why the helmets are even there?)

Anyway, good job!

(Is there any chance you will release the first version for others to use ?)

< Message edited by Mrslobodan -- 1/1/2017 9:48:23 PM >

(in reply to captain10)
Post #: 26
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 1/2/2017 3:23:36 PM   
TheBattlefield

Yes, that is - like so much else - a question of personal taste. The "old" counter I have (lazy as I am) taken over from my B.E. version for SC2. But after I had seen the beautiful creations of SIPRES, I wanted to have something similar for my new mod. Since I did not want to simply hijack these counters, I have now designed an own style. But the old as well as the new variant represent so-called "hybrids" after the example of the naval units of the vanilla version. With classical "Nato" counters both variants have little common. Regarding the units recognition value, I put this time on a classic "boardgame" design. The silhuettes symbolize the unit type. The letter shortcuts are based on the real unit name in the (modified) game. The numeric "x" or "I" abbreviation returns the unit size. In the overall picture, confusion is hardly possible any more. The "black" spelling and their own "unit activation sprites" should be sufficient to distinguish between Wehrmacht and SS units. Ultimately, I wanted to preserve a corporate identity, as it was not two different armies, but jointly operating troops of a single nation. But yes, the already completed old version will be attached as an alternative set. Agreed?

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 27
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 1/2/2017 5:57:31 PM   
Ason

Awesome!

Post #: 28
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 1/9/2017 9:13:49 PM   
johnvmcnichols1973

Did you remove the PanzerGrenadier units? (Mech)? Any update? Excited to download it!

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 29
RE: Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces - 1/11/2017 11:03:02 AM   
TheBattlefield

quote:

ORIGINAL: johnvmcnichols

Did you remove the PanzerGrenadier units? (Mech)? Any update? Excited to download it!

No, of course not. This unit is righ in the middle of my screenshot. (MD = Mech Division)

(in reply to johnvmcnichols1973)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Battlefield Europe - Elite Forces Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI