Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 9:45:53 PM   
rustysi

Unfortunately the nitwit hit your property. Fortunately its only a fence, and that can be repaired. Aggravation, yes, but you and your home are at least in one piece. That genius in the vehicle is gonna have a lotta splaining to do.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1831
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/12/2016 10:29:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Unfortunately the nitwit hit your property. Fortunately its only a fence, and that can be repaired. Aggravation, yes, but you and your home are at least in one piece. That genius in the vehicle is gonna have a lotta splaining to do.

People wasted on drugs never seem to have to justify anything - they don't care about anyone - even themselves.

Fortunately it was in the wee hours when pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk was unlikely. A few years back this city had a mother and baby in carriage on the sidewalk killed by a car that was street racing another car and lost control. The driver, of course, said he was very sorry ... and did not get the sentence he deserved. A few months later a taxi driver was killed by street racers who ran a red light. This time the judge decided it was time to send a message in the sentencing about street racing and the problem became much less prevalent.

I think "only a fence" is just fooling ourselves about how dangerous this stuff is.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 1832
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2016 4:38:24 PM   
Lecivius

getting close to page 2...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1833
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2016 4:49:40 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 10:46:31 AM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1834
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2016 7:32:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chemkid

did this the other day but i'm still waiting for feedback... thought you folks like something to ponder.

(btw, the idea was that the guy from cloverfield lane would be a collector of boardgames and sologamer - kinda funny, right?!)

I have no idea what you are referencing in italics (certified geezer) but I do need to warn you that the word "great" has been co-opted by a certain politician so you must get him to use it for you!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 1835
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2016 10:47:55 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

getting close to page 2...

The government's job is to do wrong things for the benefit of all, something Wikileaks understands not.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1836
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2016 10:49:47 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: chemkid

did this the other day but i'm still waiting for feedback... thought you folks like something to ponder.

(btw, the idea was that the guy from cloverfield lane would be a collector of boardgames and sologamer - kinda funny, right?!)

I'm just concerned that you may be referring to solo croquet or pocket billiards.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 1837
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/16/2016 3:37:49 PM   
Lecivius

What the heck is this? Gorn with the wind?!?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1838
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/16/2016 3:38:52 PM   
Lecivius

And I thought you 2 didn't like one another. Now your playing GTA5?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1839
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/17/2016 1:42:28 AM   
geofflambert

My internet connection is quite tenuous at the moment, but I'll try to post.

I was discussing with a friend how each generation has witnessed an event where they do not forget where they were or what they were thinking when it happened. For example:

December 7th, 1941

November 22nd, 1963

September 11th, 2001

September 13th, 2009 when Kanye accepted Taylor's VMA award on her behalf (and Beyonce's) while she was right there on the stage.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1840
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/17/2016 1:49:40 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I was discussing with a friend how each generation has witnessed an event where they do not forget where they were or what they were thinking when it happened. For example:

December 7th, 1941

November 22nd, 1963

September 11th, 2001

September 13th, 2009 when Kanye accepted Taylor's VMA award on her behalf (and Beyonce's) while she was right there on the stage.

For my wife and I, January 28, 1986 is our 'flashbulb' memory. Very vividly remember that as well as 9/11.

Post #: 1841
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/17/2016 2:27:09 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

December 7th, 1941

November 22nd, 1963

September 11th, 2001

For my wife and I, January 28, 1986 is our 'flashbulb' memory. Very vividly remember that as well as 9/11.

I remember that day clearly, but I was more mystified why everyone was so shaken. It was a tragedy, but an experimental spacecraft blew up on launch. But then those sorts of things don't shake me much. When they do happen I'm much more concerned about the possible reaction and the possible long term consequences of the reaction.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1842
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/17/2016 3:57:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

December 7th, 1941

November 22nd, 1963

September 11th, 2001

warspite1

No idea what happened on the first two, the third date rings a bell but can't quite picture it. The last one of course I remember very well and exactly what I was doing at the time. Only one other flashbulb date comes close for me personally:

8th January 2016 - Justin Bieber makes UK chart history with the top 3 chart singles all at the same time

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1843
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/17/2016 5:51:09 PM   
geofflambert

A recent civil suit has been adjudicated. Take notes as there will soon be a movie based on this starring George Clooney. An existing establishment, named Baker's Dozen, a bakery in fact, filed a trademark infringement suit against a newcomer that styled itself Baker's 13.
Can you guess who won and why?

Baker's 13, because in the words of the judge, "The kneads of the many outweigh the needs of the fewer".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1844
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 12:07:35 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
an experimental spacecraft blew up on launch.

An experimental spacecraft? I think the loss of the Challenger was more than that.

It involved an onscreen obliteration of seven of our best and brightest, including a teacher and an Israeli. There was significant coverage of the launch because of teacher Christa McAuliffe and a good deal of pre-launch press attention because of this. It marked the worst disaster (in terms of loss of life) associated with any space program to that time.

It was terribly shocking.

I don't know why Colombia's destruction two decades later didn't hit me more viscerally than it did.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1845
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 1:30:52 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

An experimental spacecraft? I think the loss of the Challenger was more than that.

It involved an onscreen obliteration of seven of our best and brightest, including a teacher and an Israeli. There was significant coverage of the launch because of teacher Christa McAuliffe and a good deal of pre-launch press attention because of this. It marked the worst disaster (in terms of loss of life) associated with any space program to that time.

I don't know why Colombia's destruction two decades later didn't hit me more viscerally than it did.

I'm guessing in great part because of you experiencing Challenger and 9/11 2001.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1846
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 2:59:51 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing in great part because of you experiencing Challenger and 9/11 2001.

Aye. I think that's part of it.

There was a certain naivety to the dangers of the space program in the 1980s before Challenger too.

A certain "nothing can go wrong" feeling to the point of indifference almost. We never expected it. Apollo I was twenty years previously. To a young man naive to the dangers of space exploration, that was a messy end to all that. In a big ****ing hurry. Seven astronauts-most ever dying in a single accident-boom. Gone. Just like that.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1847
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 6:55:31 AM   
Orm

Could we ponder on nice things now? Please.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1848
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 7:02:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

I guess its just the way we humans are wired. The Flashbulb moments are for most of us the 'bad things' in life. I suppose the happy flashbulb moments are mostly personal and therefore irrelevant to most other people?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1849
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 7:08:48 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I guess its just the way we humans are wired. The Flashbulb moments are for most of us the 'bad things' in life. I suppose the happy flashbulb moments are mostly personal and therefore irrelevant to most other people?

Indeed. But Christmas is fast approaching and I rather think of happy children than sad events in our past.

Sorry for being such a downer.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1850
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 7:16:53 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Indeed. But Christmas is fast approaching and I rather think of happy children than sad events in our past.

Sorry for being such a downer.
warspite1

Why don't you start an "Ormster's Happy Christmas Thread" in the GD forum?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1851
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 7:29:27 AM   
Orm

quote:

That is a nice idea. Although I wouldn't know how to make even one post.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1852
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 7:35:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

That is a nice idea. Although I wouldn't know how to make even one post.
warspite1

Oh....that's a bit of a problem then....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1853
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 9:03:26 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I think there is more to it besides just how we humans are wired. It also is a result of the nature of good vs. bad events.

Good events often tend to be the trigger date for a developement. They are by nature less likely to result in any radical immediate change.

Good events often result in no change at all compared to status quo ante - just compare good vs. bad event in a terrorist attack scenario (bad guys get caught and everyone continues with their lives vs. bad guys blowing up people and everybody in the vincinity knows about someone who died or got injured). Or a different example would be continued peace talks to avoid conflict versus war breaking out.

But I also agree with you that it is depending on how we are wired: Mankind at it´s root is optimistic by nature. Event people calling themselves pesssimists don´t expect immediate radical deterioration of their situation - or the situation of others. A bad event is much more likely to contradict expectations which increases its´ effect.

Interesting topic.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1854
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 9:12:41 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I think there is more to it besides just how we humans are wired. It also is a result of the nature of good vs. bad events.

Good events often tend to be the trigger date for a developement. They are by nature less likely to result in any radical immediate change.

Good events often result in no change at all compared to status quo ante - just compare good vs. bad event in a terrorist attack scenario (bad guys get caught and everyone continues with their lives vs. bad guys blowing up people and everybody in the vincinity knows about someone who died or got injured). Or a different example would be continued peace talks to avoid conflict versus war breaking out.

But I also agree with you that it is depending on how we are wired: Mankind at it´s root is optimistic by nature. Event people calling themselves pesssimists don´t expect immediate radical deterioration of their situation - or the situation of others. A bad event is much more likely to contradict expectations which increases its´ effect.

Interesting topic.

warspite1

LoBaron are you not a parent? I remember where I was when my first born came along - good, flashbulb memory, but no change? She was like a flippin; hurricane and the second one was worse*

*not really gorgeouses

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 1855
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 9:31:12 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Interesting topic.

warspite1

LoBaron are you not a parent? I remember where I was when my first born came along - good, flashbulb memory, but no change? She was like a flippin; hurricane and the second one was worse*

*not really gorgeouses

It certanly was an immediate and radically bad event for my self determination, sleep, sex-life and purse...

I remember that date well.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1856
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 2:55:48 PM   
rockmedic109

Dec 24,2002: My future kissed me on the front porch at 0453 in the morning after an grueling holiday baking marathon.

May 16,2004: Marrying the aforementioned. Having our first kiss as husband and wife.

Mar 23,2010: Seeing our first daughter step off the elevator in the Dalton Hotel in Changsha wearing four layers of clothing.

May 7, 2012: Seeing our second daughter in Nanjing for the first time as she stepped out of a Mini-van holding the bear we had sent her.

All of these joyous occasions are indelibly printed in my mind because of another date...

May 16, 2001: A rock slid off a hill and into a roadway just in time for my 1990 Toyota pickup to run into it causing numerous painful
and life-threatening injuries. As a result of this rock, an allied co-worker became a friend leading up to the Dec 24, 2002 event which
caused me to go to China twice, become a father, step-grandfather {soon to be for the third time} and enter the happiest period of my life.

That rock is now in our front yard.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 1857
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 3:03:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Dec 24,2002: My future kissed me on the front porch at 0453 in the morning after an grueling holiday baking marathon.

May 16,2004: Marrying the aforementioned. Having our first kiss as husband and wife.

Mar 23,2010: Seeing our first daughter step off the elevator in the Dalton Hotel in Changsha wearing four layers of clothing.

May 7, 2012: Seeing our second daughter in Nanjing for the first time as she stepped out of a Mini-van holding the bear we had sent her.

All of these joyous occasions are indelibly printed in my mind because of another date...

May 16, 2001: A rock slid off a hill and into a roadway just in time for my 1990 Toyota pickup to run into it causing numerous painful
and life-threatening injuries. As a result of this rock, an allied co-worker became a friend leading up to the Dec 24, 2002 event which
caused me to go to China twice, become a father, step-grandfather {soon to be for the third time} and enter the happiest period of my life.

Thank you for sharing.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 1858
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 5:46:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Neat.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 1859
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/18/2016 6:19:26 PM   
AW1Steve

I tend to find the "good memories" are personal. Graduations , getting married , birth of children , and individual achievements. The BIG memories are often bad , but generally things that are beyond our control. Moments like the "where were you when you learned of it" type. "Where were you" when Kennedy was shot , on 911 , when the Beirut barracks blew up, or when the Challenger blew up. There were not as many "good" events , like where were you when the Berlin wall came down, or the moon
landing occurred. Generally the big events are shared events , the and often were a shock , therefore not good. So I think that's the difference , the good memories are generally personal , the bad shared big ones that we were helpless to influence.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 12/18/2016 11:51:49 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI