Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The meaning of pockets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The meaning of pockets Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 2:44:32 PM   
Dunkelheit87

I have a simple question: is pocketing make any sense in this game? My experience of Barbarossa scenario gave me a negative answer. For example, one soviet corps received regular reinforcements in Latvia pocket when main front line was near Moscow more than a year.
Post #: 1
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 3:42:11 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi

It all depends on whether the pocket is actually cut off via rail to a Soviet Capital/Industrial Center/Supply Center. Also whether an enemy HQ is present.

If none of these apply then the pocket will have very low supply and consequently little ability to reinforce or engage in successful combat.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Dunkelheit87)
Post #: 2
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 4:10:16 PM   
Dunkelheit87

It seems that if there is town or city in pocket (and in most cases it is so) troops will receive full reinforcements, at least soviet.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 4:10:50 PM   
Hartmann

Also, you have to wait until the effects of low supply actually kick in. I've seen a few letsplay vids where players surrounded enemy units and attacked them in the same turn expecting to do severe damage - that's too impatient.

Post #: 4
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 4:12:52 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dunkelheit87

It seems that if there is town or city in pocket (and in most cases it is so) troops will receive full reinforcements, at least soviet.

If you place two units directly adjacent to the town, it will lose one supply every turn (except the capital).

Post #: 5
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 4:17:27 PM   
Dunkelheit87

quote:

Also, you have to wait until the effects of low supply actually kick in. I've seen a few letsplay vids where players surrounded enemy units and attacked them in the same turn expecting to do severe damage - that's too impatient.

quote:

If you place two units directly adjacent to the town, it will lose one supply every turn (except the capital).

But all these features just make pocketing strategically meaningless (at least in Barbarossa) at Army/Corps level, because you must destroy the enemy as quick as possible, and that can (must?) be made without pockets.

< Message edited by Dunkelheit87 -- 12/20/2016 4:18:23 PM >

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 6
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 4:24:30 PM   
Goodmongo

quote:

But all these features just make pocketing strategically meaningless (at least in Barbarossa) at Army/Corps level, because you must destroy the enemy as quick as possible, and that can (must?) be made without pockets.

No because a pocket requires troops to be actually next to the pocketed unit. You want bypassed troops to face this which is different.

Like Hartman said, place two or 3 units around that city and unless it's a capital or major supply source it will lose supply and the capacity to repair beyond 5 and even less after time. Think Leningrad in real life.

Post #: 7
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 4:30:19 PM   
Dunkelheit87

quote:

Like Hartman said, place two or 3 units around that city and unless it's a capital or major supply source it will lose supply and the capacity to repair beyond 5 and even less after time. Think Leningrad in real life.

And precisely this can be the cause of failure of Barbarossa, because 3 Army/Corps units is an excess for a single pocket.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 8
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 8:06:54 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

If any can reinforce to full strength then they must either have a HQ present or not really be cut-off in line with what I described above. It's simply not possible otherwise.

The idea with creating a pocket is to surround them in one turn, or at least to cut off their supply from the hinterland.

Then in your next turn they will be far easier to attack as their supply levels will generally be significantly lower. That is the mopping up phase.

Post #: 9
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/20/2016 10:46:08 PM   
ILCK

Pockets are often a net loss for me as surrounding a unit takes more guys than you would think and I do lots of low damage to units with sub 20 morale and readiness.

There should be a flanking bonus. If I encircle a unit on 5 sides that unit should die quickly no linger on for months.

Post #: 10
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/21/2016 10:24:07 AM   
Dunkelheit87

quote:

If any can reinforce to full strength then they must either have a HQ present or not really be cut-off in line with what I described above. It's simply not possible otherwise.

OK. So, formal pocketing is not enough. I intended to say though that encircled units receive stable reinforcements on some lower level, say 8. And attacking troops too have to receive lower level reinforcements if the pocket is far from a frontline. And after eliminating of pocket I must spend 2 or 3 turns to use them again.

quote:

Pockets are often a net loss for me as surrounding a unit takes more guys than you would think and I do lots of low damage to units with sub 20 morale and readiness.

I'm talking about this too. The question remains: is there sense to adapt a pocket-strategy with so hard pocket rules in Corps/Army level game?

< Message edited by Dunkelheit87 -- 12/21/2016 11:03:53 AM >

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 11
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 3:54:21 PM   
Fintilgin

The supply/pocket system with enemy units magically reinforcing fifty miles behind the front lines was an issue in SC2 as well. As much as I've enjoyed the games over the years, I've always disliked the supply system and the weird need to do things like chain HQs in places.

I was really hoping it would be fixed or revised for SC3, but no such luck.

Post #: 12
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 6:22:51 PM   
Malor

I like the idea of pockets, but supply from a city should only be available to a unit allied with the original owner of it when it is surrounded and only for a short time period to simulate rationing.

Thus, an axis unit in a surrounded (I defined surrounded as no other hex connects to a supply source, not necessarily surrounded by six units to assume ZOC from other units) USSR city should have supply drop to zero at the end of the turn and no reinforcements/upgrades allowed. If the unit wants to fight it's way out, it does so without being able to magically reinforce any loses. I'm tired of surrounding a unit in a city and losing more points to the units attacks against me than I do against it and than watch it reinforce back to strength 10.

The same goes for USSR in Germany, Germany in France, etc. There is no way a unit that is surrounded should be able to reinforce, but I see it every game. After all, where are they getting the supplies from. Men, ammunition, fuel, and other war materials don't just appear via a transporter, they need to be moved in and be compatible with your existing TOE. Food, maybe you can scrounge, at least for one turn or two, but once you fired all your ammunition, you're done and cannot scrounge them up in an enemy city. Many times in history have troops surrendered once they had no way to actually fight, not because they lost the will to fight.

Malor

(in reply to Fintilgin)
Post #: 13
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 7:34:48 PM   
Hartmann

If we consider average turn length, I think the rate at which supply goes down in a besieged city (with two adjacent units) is scaled rather adequately. The encirclement and battle of Kiev in 1941 took well over a month.

(in reply to Malor)
Post #: 14
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 7:57:15 PM   
sPzAbt653

Supply and Reinforcement/Upgrades are the Mechanics of this game system. As players it is up to us to determine how to effectively reduce the enemy's ability to Reinforce by using our Offensive Mechanics [surrounds, bombing and blockading]. I see no issue with the game as it is, as long as we understand these Mechanics.
The only area where I see this as unfairly skewing history is on the east front in the opening months of Barbarossa. In this situation the Soviets had little or no infrastructure, and when surrounded their units had very little ability to continue resistance.
Other than that, SC3 works well as a simulation. It forces the player to bring adequate resources to bear on enemy positions in order to reduce them. We shouldn't look on cut-off units as being reinforced by new equipment, supplies and soldiers. We should look on this as units reorganizing their resistance after being attacked. When proper Offensive Mechanics are brought to bear on a location, resistance is shortly overcome.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 15
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 8:10:01 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

We shouldn't look on cut-off units as being reinforced by new equipment, supplies and soldiers. We should look on this as units reorganizing their resistance after being attacked.

I like this way of making sense of the strength point repairs in pockets.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 16
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 8:21:38 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malor

I'm tired of surrounding a unit in a city and losing more points to the units attacks against me than I do against it and than watch it reinforce back to strength 10.

Hi Malor

If you see this happen please can you send me a saved turn so I can take a look?

Thanks

bill.runacre@furysoftware.com

(in reply to Malor)
Post #: 17
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/22/2016 10:09:34 PM   
Hotschi

Don't forget to bombard the pocketed units with your tactical bombers, this really makes a difference. As I see it, if a enemy unit gets bombarded before your own ground units attack it, it takes way more damage than without air-attack. Same is true for heavy artillery.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Post #: 18
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/23/2016 7:14:45 AM   
macroeconomics

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Don't forget to bombard the pocketed units with your tactical bombers, this really makes a difference. As I see it, if a enemy unit gets bombarded before your own ground units attack it, it takes way more damage than without air-attack. Same is true for heavy artillery.

Medium (not tactical) bombers and artillery have a de-entrenchment attribute. So an attack by these units reduces the defenders entrenchment level for all future attacks.

As far as supply goes, remember that some cities are labeled as being a secondary supply source. Surrounding those cities isn't much of an advantage as the surrounded units still get supply and thus can still get some level of replacements.

But otherwise, surrounding units tends to be pretty useful, IMO. Keep in mind that one of the biggest attack modifiers is whether or not the attacking unit had to move before it attacks. If not, I think you get a +25% strength modifier. So there are plenty of times when I want to kill an enemy unit but my attackers have to move to get next to it. That may be a good time to surround it. Then next turn the enemy is less supply and you get a +25% attack bonus with your now adjacent units.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 19
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/23/2016 5:05:24 PM   
Hotschi

Seems I confused the bombers

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to macroeconomics)
Post #: 20
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/23/2016 7:03:20 PM   
BillRunacre

Tactical Bombers upgraded to level 2 Ground Attack will also remove 1 level of entrenchment, so they can play a role in this too.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 21
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/24/2016 11:26:14 PM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

Tactical Bombers upgraded to level 2 Ground Attack will also remove 1 level of entrenchment, so they can play a role in this too.

It is always in order
Artillery/Rockets
Medium Bombers
SF/ENG
Corps
Those are all deentrenching then the following kill
Tactical Bombers
Armies
Mech
Tanks

Post #: 22
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/25/2016 3:45:16 PM   
itkotw2000

It is kinda funny that everyone is describing how to destroy encircled, "out of supply" units by listing how to stack bonuses using many different unit types. The way everyone is talking you would think we were trying to destroy some sort of fortress hex. The even "funnier" thing is that encircled/"out of supply" units have the same supply as enemy units that are in supply, but are a few hexes from their supply source. The attack methods everyone is describing works better on "in supply" units that are a few hexes from their supply source. There needs to be night and day differences between surrounded and not-surrounded troops.

Troops that are surrounded in real life have a really hard time when you consider that size of the units we are using, corps and army. The supply needs of an army sized unit are HUGE and it is not just food and rifle bullets. Artillery and anti-tank shells (these units would have some "organic" artillery and AT units), vehicle parts and tires, medical services, the list is endless. There is no way an army sized unit would be considered "supplied" for months if they were encircled. If an army sized unit tried to fight at full intensity and not ration its artillery shells, I bet it would run out in a week. Remember we are just talking about city hexes and not fortresses or fortified hexes. Just an average city where an army decided to stop.

Not all city attacks are or were "sieges". Not every city is a fortress or even "fortified". Here are some rough dates for the historic capture of cities (quick internet searches are not the best, I know): Minsk - "On 26 June Minsk, the capital of Belarus, fell to the Wehrmacht"(Wikipedia), Smolensk - "However, when the Smolensk pocket was finally eliminated on 5th August the Soviet 16th, 19th and 20th armies within had ceased to exist, and another 309 000 POWs had been taken" (operationbarbarossa.net). So, the Minsk "pocket" was destroyed FOUR DAYS after the start of Barbarossa, and the Smolensk attack started on July 10 and ended August 5th, that is about 21 days to create AND destroy a "pocket" containing three armies. And we can assume that every pocket up to Smolensk was destroyed by that August 5th date, that is about 45 days after the start of Barbarossa, or about 4 game turns. Yes four game turns to take Smolensk.

Just off the cuff, I would say that units should not be able to reinforce in any way if they don't have a rail or port link back to the capital and supply should be reduced to one or two for city hexes. Another problem I have ran into is that if your units attack to reduce the entrenchment number, but receive damage, the enemy unit gets experience. If your attacks fail multiple times over the span of a few turns the enemy unit gains significantly more experience than your units. I think it would be better if the attacking units get experience for destroying entrenchment points equal to causing losses to strength points. So many of the attacks in game are done to reduce the entrenchment, but these attacks are not rewarded with much experience. If there were no other changes to the game other than the experience change, I would be happy.

I realize that many of the game mechanics are only there to create difficulty for the player. But we need to figure out a better way to create player difficulty without creating too many grossly ahistorical situations (I would call them "grossly ahistorical" because EVERY town in the game creates these hard to crack nuts). Remember that the game has to change to get better. The game will never get better by staying the same.

< Message edited by itkotw -- 12/25/2016 3:57:41 PM >

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 23
RE: The meaning of pockets - 12/26/2016 11:38:18 AM   
Ason

completely agree. The "effectiveness" of pockets need to be increased. I like that resource hexes can hold out longer than normal hexes, but there needs to be a system that takes time into consideration when calculating strenght/supply of surrounded units.

For example:
Surrounded - normal hex = start losing 2-3 supply per turn (regardless of how many enemy units there are in adjacent hexes)
Surrounded - resource hex = start losing 1 supply per turn (regardless of how many enemy units there are in adjacent hexes)

(in reply to itkotw2000)
Post #: 24
RE: The meaning of pockets - 1/12/2017 10:12:32 PM   
Dunkelheit87

After I started three times the Barbarossa scenario I would say that although there is no sense to adapt a pocket strategy pocketing is a sad necessity in this game. Two of my first attempts, to pocket purposefully and not to pocket at all, have led to strategic failure because in both cases the time was lost (it must be noted though that in this game it is impossible to follow historical rate of offensive). Then I have adopted a combined strategy, because rather static gameplay forced me to make some pockets during the advance, and finally I have won a decisive victory. First, USSR surrendered after I took Perm (on 8 may 1945 lol), then on 26 July 1945 I took London. It must be noted that effective pockets are possible rather when one has already won a strategic advantage, so pockets are rather obstacles than an aid in offensive. Small pockets were useful in Afrika, but in Spain and Normandy there were battles for attrition. Also the soviet resistance seems too fanatical, so it is useless to try to defeat USSR fast for early peace with the Allies. On the screenshot you can see my biggest pocket during the campaign.

< Message edited by Dunkelheit87 -- 1/13/2017 10:35:24 AM >

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 25
RE: The meaning of pockets - 1/12/2017 11:36:55 PM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mrslobodan

completely agree. The "effectiveness" of pockets need to be increased. I like that resource hexes can hold out longer than normal hexes, but there needs to be a system that takes time into consideration when calculating strenght/supply of surrounded units.

For example:
Surrounded - normal hex = start losing 2-3 supply per turn (regardless of how many enemy units there are in adjacent hexes)
Surrounded - resource hex = start losing 1 supply per turn (regardless of how many enemy units there are in adjacent hexes)

The problem is for Barbarossa that basically all the Soviets do is garrison every city so you have to reduce each one in tedious fashion because each one is self-replenishing. there aren't "lines" as such to pierce and then encircle.

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 26
RE: The meaning of pockets - 1/13/2017 2:17:07 AM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mrslobodan

For example:

I agree that something needs to be done regarding the effectiveness of pockets.

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 27
RE: The meaning of pockets - 1/13/2017 2:31:41 AM   
James Taylor

What some people see as a problem, I see as an opportunity. Like sPzAbt653 & Hartmann relate to, patience and bringing the proper forces to the battle set up the mechanics to build those experienced units that are so coveted.

You want to win? It's just like real life, understand your tools and how to use them to be successful.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 28
RE: The meaning of pockets - 1/13/2017 3:28:01 AM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

What some people see as a problem, I see as an opportunity. Like sPzAbt653 & Hartmann relate to, patience and bringing the proper forces to the battle set up the mechanics to build those experienced units that are so coveted.

You want to win? It's just like real life, understand your tools and how to use them to be successful.

I think we all know how to defeat them but in context of how you want/need to fight on the ETO it never feels right. That unit in whatever that city is in the Prypiat Marshes can hold out for years despite being cut off my hundreds of kilometers because I won't devote the 4 corps plus air power to kill it.

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 29
RE: The meaning of pockets - 1/26/2017 9:10:30 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: itkotw

It is kinda funny that everyone is describing how to destroy encircled, "out of supply" units by listing how to stack bonuses using many different unit types. The way everyone is talking you would think we were trying to destroy some sort of fortress hex. The even "funnier" thing is that encircled/"out of supply" units have the same supply as enemy units that are in supply, but are a few hexes from their supply source. The attack methods everyone is describing works better on "in supply" units that are a few hexes from their supply source. There needs to be night and day differences between surrounded and not-surrounded troops.

Troops that are surrounded in real life have a really hard time when you consider that size of the units we are using, corps and army. The supply needs of an army sized unit are HUGE and it is not just food and rifle bullets. Artillery and anti-tank shells (these units would have some "organic" artillery and AT units), vehicle parts and tires, medical services, the list is endless. There is no way an army sized unit would be considered "supplied" for months if they were encircled. If an army sized unit tried to fight at full intensity and not ration its artillery shells, I bet it would run out in a week. Remember we are just talking about city hexes and not fortresses or fortified hexes. Just an average city where an army decided to stop.

Not all city attacks are or were "sieges". Not every city is a fortress or even "fortified". Here are some rough dates for the historic capture of cities (quick internet searches are not the best, I know): Minsk - "On 26 June Minsk, the capital of Belarus, fell to the Wehrmacht"(Wikipedia), Smolensk - "However, when the Smolensk pocket was finally eliminated on 5th August the Soviet 16th, 19th and 20th armies within had ceased to exist, and another 309 000 POWs had been taken" (operationbarbarossa.net). So, the Minsk "pocket" was destroyed FOUR DAYS after the start of Barbarossa, and the Smolensk attack started on July 10 and ended August 5th, that is about 21 days to create AND destroy a "pocket" containing three armies. And we can assume that every pocket up to Smolensk was destroyed by that August 5th date, that is about 45 days after the start of Barbarossa, or about 4 game turns. Yes four game turns to take Smolensk.

Just off the cuff, I would say that units should not be able to reinforce in any way if they don't have a rail or port link back to the capital and supply should be reduced to one or two for city hexes. Another problem I have ran into is that if your units attack to reduce the entrenchment number, but receive damage, the enemy unit gets experience. If your attacks fail multiple times over the span of a few turns the enemy unit gains significantly more experience than your units. I think it would be better if the attacking units get experience for destroying entrenchment points equal to causing losses to strength points. So many of the attacks in game are done to reduce the entrenchment, but these attacks are not rewarded with much experience. If there were no other changes to the game other than the experience change, I would be happy.

I realize that many of the game mechanics are only there to create difficulty for the player. But we need to figure out a better way to create player difficulty without creating too many grossly ahistorical situations (I would call them "grossly ahistorical" because EVERY town in the game creates these hard to crack nuts). Remember that the game has to change to get better. The game will never get better by staying the same.

+1

What I also found hard to deal with is how hard it is to shatter surrounded units that are and have been at 0 supply level for many consecutive turns despite being at low readiness and moral...

Is there any way to tweak this with the editor or will this possible be addressed in terms of a balancing issue in the upcoming patch?

C

< Message edited by CC1 -- 1/26/2017 9:13:46 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to itkotw2000)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The meaning of pockets Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI