Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Learning curve question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Learning curve question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 11:10:12 AM   
saber255

I was looking at time of wrath and was wondering which one has a steeper learning curve
Post #: 1
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 1:52:02 PM   
mavraamides

I would say it's a tossup on learning curve but IMHO SC3 has a much cleaner interface and better game mechanics.
One thing I remember about TOW was their map was way too sparse (very little forest, mountains, marsh, etc.) Took away a lot of the strategy as you could pretty much advance across 'open' terrain just about anywhere. They may have cleaned that up as I remember a lot of people complaining about it.

I'd also point out that their last forum post was in early 2014. Just sayin...

< Message edited by GordianKnot -- 12/21/2016 1:54:01 PM >

(in reply to saber255)
Post #: 2
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 2:02:18 PM   
Hairog

I modded both games and TOW was the harder of the two except for the scripts. Not being a programer the terms used sometimes don't make sense to me and the logic of where you have look for what little button to push. It's also very convoluted as to what have to do in order to get the effect you want.

As to playing the game. SCB3 is much easier to play. The naval game might not be as realistic as TOW but it works. Which is too bad for TOW.

The size and function of the Units in SBC3 is very confusing but modders will fix that if Hubert doesn't. The strength of the units compared to each other is very confusing. How does a strength 10 division stack up against a 10 strength Army. Why are they both strength 10? Usually each Army is made up of 9 or so divisions divided into 3 Corps. So if a division is 10 an Army should be 90 or Army 10 - division 1.

I'm not a fan of I shoot at you then you shoot at me type system. On this scale it just seems different from most simulations. I guess I'm so used to 3 to 1 odds and rolling a dice with both reaping the results. All though the I shoot you shoot method seems to lead to very realistic results except for a submarine unit that gets surrounded and I'm warming to the concept.

You will find that the SBC3 AI is much tougher. Hubert has done a wonderful job and Bill has created some killer scripts and scenarios.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

(in reply to saber255)
Post #: 3
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 2:17:54 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

How does a strength 10 division stack up against a 10 strength Army.

The units don't have a 'strength' of 10, they have 10 steps, or 10 casualty points. For a units' strength, right click the unit and click on Properties.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 4
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 2:55:33 PM   
saber255

Thank you Hairog did not realize how old TOW was.Just having a little hard time learning this game .
can't get the hole supply thing .And map seems a little dark.Also zoom is choppy.but I guess it needs a patch

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 5:38:59 PM   
Wolfe1759

This might help explain the supply system http://www.wargamer.com/news/quartermaster-an-in-depth-look-at-supplylogistics-in-strategic-command-ww2-war-in-europe/

And for a lighter map have a look at this mod http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4196526

As to TOW I have it and some of the other games by the same developer, none were ever really finished, general advice would be avoid TOW and stick with SC.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to saber255)
Post #: 6
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 7:24:40 PM   
demyansk

Get sc3 and wait for too to be on sale

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 7
RE: Learning curve question - 12/21/2016 11:18:36 PM   
Hartmann

"Time of Wrath" was "almost there" for me, but the interface felt a bit clumsy, the map a bit too colorful and it also tended to crash on me at the most inopportune times. Same with "Time of Fury" more or less. Then there was also "Strategic War in Europe", which reminded me alot of the original "Strategic Command" - it was very "beer & prezzel", and could have been nice, but it crashed on me every five minutes or so. In the end, I mostly returned to playing "Clash of Steel" on dosbox before SC3 came out.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 8
RE: Learning curve question - 12/22/2016 12:10:10 AM   
saber255

I was a big fan of HOI but the mirco managing after a while gets boring .then I just found this game looks like
a good game with out all the merco stuff going on .Just wish they will fix it up a bit .numbers on the units are so
small and the zoom what's up with that so choppy .But all in all its an ok game that could be great with a patch or two

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 9
RE: Learning curve question - 12/22/2016 5:18:03 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi saber1

Have you looked at the Essential Guide that is contained within the Manual and is also available as a separate document within the Manuals folder within the game's main installation folder.

Hopefully this will help. Alternatively there are lots of videos on youtube that can give advice.

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to saber255)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Learning curve question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI