Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a TOAW IV option?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Is there a TOAW IV option? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a TOAW IV option? - 1/5/2017 5:52:31 PM   
rgflores

Hello, while we wait for TOAW IV is there another computer wargame with similar flexibility, several scenarios, thousands of different units that I could buy?
I like, for example, "Command:Modern Air/Naval Operations". But I am wondering if exists another option.
Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 1/5/2017 10:01:05 PM   
r6kunz

Hello flores,

If you do not have it, you cannot go wrong with TOAW III. Yes, a lot of user interface improvements are projected, but the basic game engine, rules, etc will likely be similar and will hold you in good stead in IV. It is still probably the best game out there. I you already have III you might look
War in the East, but I found it a bit hard to get into...

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to rgflores)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 1/5/2017 10:22:32 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rgflores

Hello, while we wait for TOAW IV is there another computer wargame with similar flexibility, several scenarios, thousands of different units that I could buy?
I like, for example, "Command:Modern Air/Naval Operations". But I am wondering if exists another option.
Thank you!

John Tiller's Campaign Series is good and recently redone. Kind of between operational and tactical. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/318/John.Tiller's.Campaign.Series

Steel Panthers WW2. Tactical scale. There's a free edition and also a paid edition. This is based on Steel Panthers 2 game. It's sold by a different game company but should be easy to find with a simple search.

Forgot. The same company has a modern edition. Steel Panthers MBT.

Steel Panthers World at War. Tactical scale. There used to be a free edition besides the paid one. Not sure if that's still true. This is based on Steel Panthers 3 game. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/297/Steel.Panthers:.World.at.War.-.Generals.Edition

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/5/2017 10:23:16 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to rgflores)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 1/6/2017 5:42:04 PM   
rgflores

Thank you for your suggestions!
I have all of the games suggested and I have no doubt that TOAW is the best one because of its flexibility
and many aspects of war simulation. I was wondering that maybe was missing something. Let´s wait for TOAW IV

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 2/16/2017 8:45:00 AM   
athunder7

Try East front II for weapons choices. HOI3 finest hour for grand campaign mode. do your own builds, most complex WW2 simulater ever.

(in reply to rgflores)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/2/2017 10:58:45 PM   
Bombur

Advanced Tactics Gold has an editor that is far more flexible than that one of TOAW. Also it´s a much better platform to build strategic scenarios, since it has production and a reasonable naval engine. It´s also published by Matrix/Slitherine. Unfortunately, the scenario editor is too complex and there aren´t many scenarios.

(in reply to athunder7)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/3/2017 2:03:04 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bombur

Advanced Tactics Gold has an editor that is far more flexible than that one of TOAW.

It also has a random game generator, right?

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/4/2017 9:36:35 PM   
Bombur

Yes, a powerful one, and some mods for random scenarios.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/4/2017 11:03:13 PM   
rjantzi

What about War in the East, War in the West, or Strategic Command WWII:War in Europe? I don't own any of these but have been looking at them. Does anyone have any experience with these games? Thanks

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 9
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/8/2017 1:07:13 AM   
FF_1079

Strategic Command 3 is a great game, but it is strategic in nature - not operational like TOAW. There are multiple mods out for it ( I use 3 of them ) and the game is fun and well supported. They have the PBEM in BETA right now, and it should be released in a month or so - later on they will integrate it into STEAM so that people can play each other and chat during the game via STEAM. It's a bargain for the price with a lot of replayability - definitely worth your time while you wait for TOAW.

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

(in reply to rjantzi)
Post #: 10
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/8/2017 1:26:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjantzi
What about War in the East, War in the West, or Strategic Command WWII:War in Europe?
I don't own any of these but have been looking at them. Does anyone have any experience with these games?
Thanks

I've played WITE PBEM several times and after the fifth time I got bored with it. I was on the WITW beta team
for a while but I found out that it's really really complicated to play. You can almost orchistrate your attacks, air, sea, and
land to support each other and really make things happen but there's a learning curve. I dropped out. But then took up
WITP-AE which is the most complicated game I've ever played. The Jap player has full control over the economy
and the war making machines. I've instituted a program wherein I ditch all fighter types except for the Zero and all
bomber types except for Bettys and by concentrating on these two types the theory is that more planes can be produced
per day. It's too early to tell whether the program is working as intended or not.

Having said all that I'm having more fun on the TOAW beta team than is allowed by the NDA. There's a lot of new
scenarios to go with the release and a lot of revised ones, modded ones, and right now I'm playing one scenario after
another trying to find those that are broken or not balanced. I'm glad I'm retired with nothing else to do.

(in reply to rjantzi)
Post #: 11
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/8/2017 2:22:09 AM   
rjantzi

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about either War in the West or Strategic Command 3. I know they're two very different games and levels of complexity but I see aspects of both that appeal to me. I appreciate the feedback. And of course, one day, we'll have TOAW IV to buy :-)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 12
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/8/2017 3:43:18 AM   
r6kunz

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjantzi
What about War in the East, War in the West, or Strategic Command WWII:War in Europe?
I don't own any of these but have been looking at them. Does anyone have any experience with these games?
Thanks

I've played WITE PBEM several times and after the fifth time I got bored with it. I was on the WITW beta team
for a while but I found out that it's really really complicated to play. You can almost orchistrate your attacks, air, sea, and
land to support each other and really make things happen but there's a learning curve. I dropped out. But then took up
WITP-AE which is the most complicated game I've ever played. The Jap player has full control over the economy
and the war making machines. I've instituted a program wherein I ditch all fighter types except for the Zero and all
bomber types except for Bettys and by concentrating on these two types the theory is that more planes can be produced
per day. It's too early to tell whether the program is working as intended or not.

Having said all that I'm having more fun on the TOAW beta team than is allowed by the NDA. There's a lot of new
scenarios to go with the release and a lot of revised ones, modded ones, and right now I'm playing one scenario after
another trying to find those that are broken or not balanced. I'm glad I'm retired with nothing else to do.

Nice comments, Larry. I could not agree more. Maybe WITE is ok, but really, really hard to get into that carpet of units. I think anyone with some patience with be rewarded with TOAWIV.

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 13
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 3/9/2017 9:01:15 PM   
Fred98

I agree. WITE and WITW are probably terrific war games but way too large to be enjyable

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 14
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/6/2017 3:22:21 AM   
Kurt Knispel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rgflores

Thank you!

Steel Panthers WW2. Tactical scale. There's a free edition and also a paid edition. This is based on Steel Panthers 2 game. It's sold by a different game company but should be easy to find with a simple search.

Forgot. The same company has a modern edition. Steel Panthers MBT.

Steel Panthers World at War. Tactical scale. There used to be a free edition besides the paid one. Not sure if that's still true. This is based on Steel Panthers 3 game.

I've had the various incarnations of Steel Panthers, ever since the original was released way back in 1995 or so. Sadly, it doesn't work with Win 10, and they've finally given up on using CPR on it.

I'd pay a lot of money for a new version of the game. I reckon, it was the most enjoyable tactical level war-game ever. A perfect balance of realism vs playability.

And having so MANY units to choose from, was a delight!

*sigh*

"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden...."

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 15
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/6/2017 10:50:22 AM   
nnason

Are you saying that Steel Panthers here: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html with patch winSPMBT V11.01 Upgrade (2017) does or does not work with Windows 10??

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to Kurt Knispel)
Post #: 16
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/6/2017 11:59:17 AM   
Kurt Knispel

quote:

ORIGINAL: nnason

Are you saying that Steel Panthers here: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html with patch winSPMBT V11.01 Upgrade (2017) does or does not work with Windows 10??

"winSPMBT Free Download Edition features:
♦ Fully Windows compatible up to Windows 8, allowing for either DirectX or GDI based graphics."

I must admit, I haven't tried the very latest version. I already had a lot of trouble running SP-WaW & MBT when I still had Win-8. So when my PC died, and my new one came with Win-10, I didn't even bother trying.

From what I have read on other forums, people who have tried are having all sorts of issues.

But hey - you can always try the free version.

But I think, even Matrix knows they're flogging a dead horse. That's why they've been quietly (so as not to get people's hopes up, I suspect) asking, what one would like to see in a re-boot.

< Message edited by Kurt Knispel -- 8/6/2017 12:00:00 PM >

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 17
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/8/2017 10:08:02 AM   
pbhawkin1

OR try SPWAW at their new forum with hints in the tech section on running on various windows OS:
https://spwawdepot.prophpbb.com/forum9.html

Regards

Post #: 18
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/8/2017 10:43:18 AM   
Kurt Knispel

Or - you wait a while..........:

Matrix Games - 5/3/2017:

Job Description
We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine’s Archon engine and you’ll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

(in reply to pbhawkin1)
Post #: 19
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/10/2017 12:46:34 PM   
wodin

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 20
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 8/10/2017 12:55:55 PM   
pzgndr

Check out Schwerpunkt's World War II - Europe. It still needs some work, and a v1.09 patch is in development with some improvements and additional scenarios. It's a good, solid, operational wargame with that Old School boardgame feel.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 9/27/2017 12:57:46 AM   
alwaysdime

Steel Panthers from Shrapnel does work on Windows 10. I have the paid version of each and have never had a problem. I guess I can't really say about the free versions.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 22
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 10/6/2017 2:08:57 PM   
Steely Glint

Strategic Command III is marvelous, and you can edit and modify it in all sorts of ways. I've been playing it since launch and am still enjoying the heck out of it.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 23
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 10/6/2017 2:15:52 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: alwaysdime

Steel Panthers from Shrapnel does work on Windows 10. I have the paid version of each and have never had a problem. I guess I can't really say about the free versions.

This is my experience as well.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 24
RE: Is there a TOAW IV option? - 10/7/2017 1:09:04 PM   
morphin

Can somebody list the main differences between this and advanced tactics gold?

Thank's
Andy

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Is there a TOAW IV option? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI