Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Closed)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Closed) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Closed) - 1/3/2017 6:18:28 PM   
Revthought

Greetings, my apologies to all who responded to my first abortive call for an opponent a couple months ago. Things got out of control on my end (new job, lots of work).

I am looking for a Japanese opponent for Focus: Pacific or BTS--long campaign scenarios. House rules are negotiable, with the caveat that I aim for historical simulation rather than just game. In other words, my only "requirement" is no Japanese warp invasions in December 1941 or January 1942. I tend to shun acceptance of "autovictory" for the same reasons (it can sometimes lead to gamey play). Currently, I think I like the idea of two day turns because it means faster progression, and it also better simulates conditions of things being sometimes out of your hands--but one day turns work as well.

I am in North America and should be good for at least one turn a day most days, sometimes more (depending on location and turn around), sometimes less; however, I do not need this out of an opponent. I'm pretty a pretty open and friendly player, and my only must is that you be too.

No shame if this is how you play games, but if you are someone who is super competitive and treats the game like very serious business, we might not be the best fit!

Finally, all levels of experience welcome. I've been playing two human opponents for 6 months, so I still feel like a noob; however, I know enough to either: help a less experienced player OR learn from a more experienced one.

Edit

Can start as soon as I download the appropriate files and get a turn from you!

< Message edited by Revthought -- 1/12/2017 6:59:12 PM >

Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Post #: 1
RE: LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Still Look... - 1/7/2017 8:26:01 PM   
andydb

Hi Revthought,

Please see PM that I have sent you.

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 2
RE: LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Still Look... - 1/7/2017 9:22:04 PM   
BillBrown

Revthought, just what is a "warp invasion in January 1942" As far as I know, TFs with bonus moves only get them turn 1 and not after.

(in reply to andydb)
Post #: 3
RE: LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Still Look... - 1/9/2017 3:37:41 PM   
John 3rd

Did you find your opponent?

If you look at BTS we'll be having a new version out fairly soon.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4
RE: LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Still Look... - 1/9/2017 8:18:25 PM   
Revthought

Andy and I are in talks about Focus pacific game. We've agreed to play, but as a policy, until the first turn is in I'm keeping this "open."

Q. What is a warp invasion in 1942?

A. It's not 1942 so much as it is "what is historically plausible" given the resources of Japan and the IJN/IJA infighting. So things I consider a warp invasion:

1. Surprise, it's the Japanese Army landing on the West Coast of North America at the beginning of the war!
2. The invasion of any part of Australia prior to the clearing out of New Guinea.
3. The invasion of Hawaii prior to the securing of the supply lines in the Western Pacific (including Midway)
4. The invasion of Ceylon or India prior to the fall of Rangoon and Singapore
5. The invasion of the West Coast of North America would never have made sense; however, I won't complain as the Allied player if Hawaii is firmly in your hands.

That kind of things. As I stated somewhere else recently, I'm fine with the Japanese invasion of anywhere as long as it is semi-historically plausible, and that really means IJ accomplishing the things that it would have minimally required for the IJA and IJN to agree to do it. I mean, it doesn't need to meet the condition "that these are the conditions under which they likely would have agreed," just what would have been the bare minimum for the idea to possibly have a chance. :D

And none of these things are really hard for the Japanese player to do, but usually it takes them a month or two to do them. So the restriction is really only to December 41 and maybe January 42, depending.

In turn you get from me:

1. I will never do a full Sir Robin
2. See above. I will put up a fight for things that it would have been politically impossible for the Allies to not have put up a fight for.
a. No mass evacuations of Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines
b. No hiding off map or in safe ports of every Allied navy--I will challenge you and lose lots of ships (most likely) doing it

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Did you find your opponent?

If you look at BTS we'll be having a new version out fairly soon.

Depending on how this plays out, I may be looking for another game (which will be BTS) after you guys finish the new version. It all depends on my time investment.

I was playing in 3 PBEMs, which I managed; however, one of my opponents evaporated and I haven't heard from in 4 or 5 months, and one of my games has slowed down quite a bit (a couple turns a week). Assuming all goes well with Andy, I'll see how the time commitment plays out as I am of working age with a wife and children (and I have other hobbies!). It's certainly not a long shot though, especially when things get going and I can reduce the turn time to 15 minutes to a 30 an hour.

< Message edited by Revthought -- 1/9/2017 8:30:40 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5
RE: LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Closed) - 1/12/2017 6:59:51 PM   
Revthought

Turn one between Andy and Myself has gone back and forth, so I am closing this thread!

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> LF Japanese Opponent Focus: Pacific/BTS (Closed) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI