Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Close Combat Error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Close Combat Error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Close Combat Error - 1/8/2017 7:00:28 PM   
Byeohazard

When running the Battlemaker.
"One or more of the pare meters passed to the function are incorrect" message appears. Unable to use battlemaker as it closes after hitting the OK button.
I have tried 800x600 resolution...turning off movies etc. Installed and run as administrater. Tried windows 98 comparability.

Also I am not sure if the latest patch is taking hold. I downloaded the stand alone 3.61.00 It seems to finish abruptly before the blue bar is filled. But if I run it again it says I am up to date. However if I immediately run the update from the start menu (not the external patch) it says there is a newer version available. If I run that it updates (I think) but then reports an error message if I run it again.
Is there a way to check version number in the game?

Also on installing the game (I chose no to multiplayer BattleHQ thing) but after that it asks if I want to replace a couple files I have (my file is newer) with the same file that is older. I chose NO so that I keep my more current files. Is that correct to do?

Thanks for the help.

Windows 10
AMD R390 video card (latest drivers)
12 GB tripple channel RAM
i7 920 CPU

< Message edited by Byeohazard -- 1/8/2017 7:04:52 PM >

currently playing: Panzer Corps
learning Distant Worlds
Post #: 1
RE: Close Combat Error - 1/9/2017 7:23:05 PM   
SteveMcClaire

That's odd. The error typically means that some component of the UI couldn't display properly on the screen. I haven't heard of anyone running into this, and wouldn't expect this to happen with only the battle maker and not the main part of the game, as they share many UI components.

What newer files is the installer asking to replace?

Do you have any mods installed for the game? If so, I'd recommend reverting to the stock game to make sure the mod is not the issue.

Steve

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 2
RE: Close Combat Error - 1/11/2017 7:55:55 AM   
Byeohazard

Hi Steve,
thank you for the response. There are 3 instances where it asks if I want to replace the newer file with an older of the same file.
The files are Target C:\windows\system 32\

Ir50_32dll

ir50_qc.dll

ir50_qcx.dll

If I use the in game updater and try to run it again (as it seems to not finish updating) I get this message: Microsoft visual C++ Runtime library Runtime error Program E:\Matrix~1\closeC~1\closeC~1\update.exe abnormal program termination

If then run the standalone update it updates but again seems to end early. If I run it again it tells me the game is updated but if i run the in game update after running the standalone it tells me there is a newer version available.

I am uncertain if my game is actually updating
I am uncertain whether those files should be replaced

The good news is I am able to play the game however not able to utilize the Battlemaker or be sure I have the latest version of the game

No mods are installed.

Thanks for your help!
Joe

< Message edited by Byeohazard -- 1/11/2017 8:01:21 AM >

learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 3
RE: Close Combat Error - 1/14/2017 5:49:08 PM   
Byeohazard

Just checking back.

learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 4
RE: Close Combat Error - 1/17/2017 9:01:23 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Hi Joe,

I believe those files are part of the video codec. So at the worst I would expect older versions of them to possibly give you trouble with the videos in the game, but they shouldn't cause a problem for the battle maker.

I would recommend downloading the installer for the latest update and running it yourself. You can get it here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/335/downloads/

Steve

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 5
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/2/2017 4:39:15 PM   
ianlast

It appears im also having the same problem. Have applied update but this is still an issue.

Post #: 6
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/5/2017 6:00:18 PM   
SteveMcClaire

ianlast,

Are you also on Windows 10? Have you turned off videos and tried compatibility settings as well?

I'd recommend reviewing this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4190921 as it lists all the settings that have been tested for running Cross of Iron on Windows 10.

Steve

(in reply to ianlast)
Post #: 7
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/6/2017 8:42:00 AM   
ianlast

Yep, Win 10. Tried everything shown in that link, still no dice. Everything else works except for the battlemaker. Was also asked to install those Ir50_32dll, ir50_qc.dll, ir50_qcx.dll

dxdiag added.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ianlast -- 4/6/2017 8:45:48 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/12/2017 11:09:20 PM   
SteveMcClaire

ianlast,

I installed the game myself on a Windows 10 machine and was able to run it fine, including the battlemaker. So I suspect the issue is configuration related.

I'd recommend that you run the Windows 10 compatibility checker on the game EXE -- in the Windows explorer go to the install directory (C:\Program Files\Close Combat\Close Combat III\ by default) and right-click the file CC3.EXE. Select 'Properties' and then 'Compatibility' and click the button that says 'Run Compatibility Troubleshooter.' This may take into account specifics of your machine config that are different than others.

The only other issue I can think of that might effect it is if you have some custom maps installed -- these are in the MAPS folder under where the game EXE is installed. The game loads data for all of these so it can show thumbnails in the battlemaker. If you had one that was an invalid size (or contained the wrong sort of data, like a map from another version of CC) it might cause a crash like we're seeing.

Steve

(in reply to ianlast)
Post #: 9
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/13/2017 2:49:59 AM   
ianlast

I tried the compatability tool but it didnt fix the issue. It was a fresh install on a new HDD so no custom maps.

Post #: 10
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/25/2017 2:47:40 PM   
SteveMcClaire

ianlast,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Without being able to reproduce the problem myself we're sort of taking shots in the dark. Based on the original error it sounds like the issue is related to video card / drivers. If you haven't tried this already, I'd recommend updating your video drivers and disabling any graphic-related software that might be running. If you're video card has a config / control panel type program, try changing settings in there related to acceleration or other optimizations that might not be compatible with Cross of Iron's older version of DirectX.

(in reply to ianlast)
Post #: 11
RE: Close Combat Error - 4/26/2017 10:09:55 AM   
ianlast

I bought a new grapics card. Curiously that managed to fix the issue so i guess it was a driver related thing. Still find it odd that it would only affect the battlemaker but oh well. Issue fixed. Thanks for the help!

Post #: 12
RE: Close Combat Error - 5/3/2017 9:57:15 PM   
SteveMcClaire

ianlast -- thanks for letting me know that fixed it. Yes, dealing with different video cards & driver combos can be a bit of a nightmare. If there's a driver bug that causes a graphics call to fail it can be impossible to reproduce / fix / work around.

Steve

(in reply to ianlast)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Close Combat Error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI