Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Map: South of Bremen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Map: South of Bremen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Map: South of Bremen - 12/26/2016 4:17:19 PM   
Kairos

Hey guys,

I am new to the Flashpoint Campaigns world but have been really interested in mapmaking.

The map "South of Bremen" focusses on the southern municipalities in the vicinity of Bremen, Northern Germany. Terrain is mostly flat in marshland and lightly elevated with scattered forests in the upland part. The map style is less artistic but rather cartographic in design. I tried to find a balance between looks and realism. Locations of military relevance in the cold war period are a Nike-Hercules launching site and separated fire control area as well as a "Sonderwaffenlager and Standortmunitionslager".

As a geographer the technical aspects are not so much of a problem for me; however, I have no idea of scenarios, balancing and such. Maybe you are interested in trying out this map I created.

Tool and data used:
- QGIS
- ALOS 30m digital surface model by JAXA
- Open streen map data (UTM 32N projection).

Please feel free to check it out. Critique is highly welcome!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: New Map: South of Bremen - 12/28/2016 10:14:28 PM   
WildCatNL

Hi Kairos,

that's a great first post. Great research for your map (2nd Syke Hawk FlaRak LA is just below the bottom of your map, otherwise you'd have added that one too!).

The only thing missing are the obstacle codes for the streams (Klosterbach, Hombach, Hache, Suestedter Bach, etc.) in order to tell the game these streams require bridging in order to cross them.

I didn't know about the Japanese JAXA 30m resolution DEM data, so appreciate that hint as well.

Since you aren't able to post pictures yet (need 10 posts), I've posted a picture of your map for you below.

William

Attachment (1)

William
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Kairos)
Post #: 2
RE: New Map: South of Bremen - 12/29/2016 10:36:35 AM   
Kairos

Hi W1ll14m,

thank you very much for your kind words! I was debating the river/creek thing myself. In reality these creeks barely span 2m, so I decided to increase the value for mobility impairement but not to qualify them right away as water obstacles. Is there a general consensus when a river is considered a military obstacle?

With the current GIS map layout, it would be fairly easy to expand the map into other areas. I will definately look into that if time allows me. For now, please feel free to try out the map for whatever scenario you would like

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 3
RE: New Map: South of Bremen - 12/30/2016 9:44:36 PM   
WildCatNL

Hi Kairos,

wrt streams: My (personal) guidelines for converting streams, creeks, rivers into obstacles is shown below, as used for Southern Storm (where we'll try to model and display smaller streams and ditches separately from the larger ones).
For FCRS, I'd turn Klosterbach, Hombach, Hache, Suestedter Bach and Annen into an obstacle. I do understand your approach to reducing mobility there (and not comprosing the look of your map - you'd have to shift things around in order to make these streams run along hex sides).

William

Attachment (1)

William
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Kairos)
Post #: 4
RE: New Map: South of Bremen - 1/11/2017 8:14:18 PM   
Bartec

Nice Map Kairos! please make more of this! google earth or open street map style would be also nice.

regards

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Map: South of Bremen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI