Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Rise and Fall Of An Empire!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/2/2017 7:23:26 PM   
kirk23

New Year = New Era for the game.

I have started working on a brand new scenario,this Campaign returns to the Napoleonic era,the scenario starts in 1803 with France (Axis) at war with Britain (Allies)

So that means no Aircraft or Tanks,and definitely no units moving huge distances due to rail travel,because there be no Trains hehehehe!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 2/25/2017 3:32:01 PM >

Make it so!
Post #: 1
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/2/2017 8:49:01 PM   
SIPRES

I like very much,

must be a huge amount of work!!

in case you need help for 2D counters just let me know

Christophe

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 2
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/2/2017 9:04:34 PM   
TangSooDo

I think this is a great idea. Napoleonics were my favorite wargame subject for many years.

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 3
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/2/2017 9:08:37 PM   
TheBattlefield

Wow. Sounds like a lot of work. You'll have to zoom in the map scale to fit the mass gatherings of units in a small place, right? This is the part I disliked in games like "Commander - Napoleon At War". They just changed WW1/WW2 units with napoleonic ones and completely miss the scale. A "Waterloo" battleground would be nice!

If this works, then someone may dare to a "Lord of the Rings" or "Game of the Thrones" mod!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 4
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/3/2017 8:57:04 AM   
kirk23

Yes it really is a huge amount of work,that said here is a screenshot of the Research options.Please note that this is very much a work in progress.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to TheBattlefield)
Post #: 5
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/3/2017 9:07:47 AM   
kirk23

Research in game for Napoleonic Era 1803.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 6
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/3/2017 12:34:58 PM   
kirk23

French purchase options,as previously stated these are for demo only.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/6/2017 11:41:19 AM   
Lehnardtsson

great idea!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 8
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/6/2017 4:00:56 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: SIPRES

I like very much,

Christophe

Thanks for the offer! Scenario is still in the very early stages of development,still to decide on what units will be included in the OOB for each of the Nations involved.

PS: Your graphics look superb by the way.

Make it so!

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 9
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/6/2017 11:15:42 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Awesome, a turn-based strategic Napoleonic game - that ticks lots of boxes for me! I used to love the old Avalon Hill "War in Peace" boardgame

< Message edited by oxford_guy -- 1/7/2017 7:46:48 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 10
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/7/2017 11:29:41 AM   
prince_blucher

Kirk, fantastic, thank you so much for starting this mod. I really enjoyed your work with Commander: Napoleon at War. I think this game lends itself well to the era. Good luck, and God's speed.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 11
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/7/2017 12:23:43 PM   
kirk23

Cheers!Unlike Commander Napoleon At War this game gives me the option to create a massive mod for the Napoleonic Era because it comes with a superb editor.

I have been busy working on the map changes for how Europe was in 1803,here is the latest change I have removed the Suez Canal,the Kiel Canal has also been removed from the map.

I will evetually get round to removing all the rail network from the game map also,but at the moment that is a minor thing so it can wait.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 1/8/2017 8:10:39 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to prince_blucher)
Post #: 12
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/7/2017 1:07:59 PM   
kirk23

Another change is to naval loops on the map,these have all had the Axis,Allies restrictions removed,now any ship can use the loop.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 13
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 12:06:53 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Cheers!Unlike Commander Napoleon At War this game gives me the option to create a massive mod for the Napoleonic Era because it comes with a superb editor.

I have been busy working on the map changes for how Europe was in 1803,here is the latest change I have removed the Suez Canal,the Keil Canal has also been removed from the map.

I will evetually get round to removing all the rail network from the game map also,but at the moment that is a minor thing so it can wait.

Great work that you're doing here Kirk23, I'd be happy to be a play tester for this when you get further along. I'm guessing this is going to be multiplayer only initially (support for multiplayer should be added to SC3 soon), as the AI and scripting would likely take quite a lot of work? Do you still intend to make it playable against the AI eventually?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 14
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 12:14:07 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

I like very much,

Christophe

Liking this counter style, reminds me of Avalon Hill's War in Peace boardgame:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/626/war-and-peace

French and allies:

British and Russian:

Austrian and Prussian:

Spanish:

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 15
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 1:54:10 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

quote:

I have been busy working on the map changes for how Europe was in 1803,here is the latest change I have removed the Suez Canal,the Keil Canal has also been removed from the map.

Great work that you're doing here Kirk23, I'd be happy to be a play tester for this when you get further along. I'm guessing this is going to be multiplayer only initially (support for multiplayer should be added to SC3 soon), as the AI and scripting would likely take quite a lot of work? Do you still intend to make it playable against the AI eventually?

I intend to have it play against the AI, I will be altering the all the AI scripts,in fact I will be altering all the scripts.

I'm busy altering the map at the moment to include new Nations,today so far I have added Free State Of Saxony which has Dresden as its Capital city.

Make it so!

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 16
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 3:18:35 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

quote:

quote:

I intend to have it play against the AI, I will be altering the all the AI scripts,in fact I will be altering all the scripts.

I'm busy altering the map at the moment to include new Nations,today so far I have added Free State Of Saxony which has Dresden as its Capital city.

Great stuff! What different naval units will be present? Perhaps 3 decker and 2 decker ships-of-the-line and frigates, maybe bomb ketches too for shore bombardment (as at the battle of Copenhagen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1807)): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb_vessel

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 17
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 5:16:05 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

quote:

I like very much,

Christophe

Liking this counter style, reminds me of Avalon Hill's War in Peace boardgame:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/626/war-and-peace

You're right, that's was my best Napoleonic boardgame

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 18
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 5:24:23 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

Yes it really is a huge amount of work,that said here is a screenshot of the Research options.Please note that this is very much a work in progress.

What about the following for Major's?

UK
FRANCE
AUSTRIA
SPAIN
PRUSSIA
RUSSIA
OTTOMAN EMPIRE (fight mainly against Russia, but the Empire and its vassal extend from Algeria to Egypt and most part of the balkans)
SWEDEN (Fight as coalitions Allied but also against Russia, they do loose Finland)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 19
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 7:54:47 PM   
kirk23

I think the 8 major nations will be as follows:

ALLIED

BRITAIN
AUSTRIA
RUSSIA
PRUSSIA
OTTOMAN EMPIRE

AXIS

FRANCE
SPAIN
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 1/8/2017 8:01:41 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 20
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 7:58:54 PM   
kirk23

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great stuff! What different naval units will be present? Perhaps 3 decker and 2 decker ships-of-the-line and frigates, maybe bomb ketches too for shore bombardment (as at the battle of Copenhagen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1807)): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb_vessel

Naval units in the game are as follows:

1ST RATES
2ND RATES
3RD RATES
4TH RATES
5TH RATES
6TH RATES
SLOOPS
BRIGS
BOMBARD BRIGS
FIRESHIPS

Make it so!

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 21
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/8/2017 11:18:59 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Naval units in the game are as follows:

1ST RATES
2ND RATES
3RD RATES
4TH RATES
5TH RATES
6TH RATES
SLOOPS
BRIGS
BOMBARD BRIGS
FIRESHIPS

Excellent!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 22
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 3:41:17 PM   
TheBattlefield

Respect!!
Have you ever thought about unit scaling? Just as the Wehrmacht is the basic model for the WW2 campaigns, the French army should be here. There were different types of units (infantry, cavalry) only up to divisional size. Various line infantry (Grenadiers, Light Infantry etc.), various cavalry (Ulans, Cuirassiers etc.) and various Artillery rather regiments and smaller. Or do you consistently reduce all units on all inclusive Armies, Corps and Flotillas? In view of map scaling and historical mass battles this would be more appropriate, right?

< Message edited by TheBattlefield -- 1/12/2017 3:42:41 PM >

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 23
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 4:58:18 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBattlefield

Respect!!
Have you ever thought about unit scaling? Just as the Wehrmacht is the basic model for the WW2 campaigns, the French army should be here. There were different types of units (infantry, cavalry) only up to divisional size. Various line infantry (Grenadiers, Light Infantry etc.), various cavalry (Ulans, Cuirassiers etc.) and various Artillery rather regiments and smaller. Or do you consistently reduce all units on all inclusive Armies, Corps and Flotillas? In view of map scaling and historical mass battles this would be more appropriate, right?

Depends a bit on the unit scale for the mod, no? The WW2 game is mainly about Armies and Corps, with a few Division-level units (Cavalry etc.)

I'd imagine this mod will be mainly Corps and Divisions, maybe with some independent Brigades? But it's a strategic game, so I wouldn't expect to see many units smaller than Divisions, except perhaps some independent Cavalry and Artillery Brigades, maybe Rifle brigages for the British (although these would be better managed as an attachment, but I don't think that's possible in SC3?)

Post #: 24
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 6:36:32 PM   
TheBattlefield

I agree. That's why I asked.

Smaller organisations than divisions would potentially overwhelm the only individually assignable hex fields of the map with too many units. It should not be forgotten that at Waterloo a quarter of the available units should fit into one or two hex fields. This is not possible without enlarging the map scale (no idea what the game engine gives) or only playing a zoomed map (no more a global strategy but a local campaign). So a compromise between realism and gamey should be found.

Maybe Army (strength 10) as core unit. Including Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery. Using the former artillery unit slot and favored through research in all three areas would be a solution. Two attacks and a very high accuracy loss for a distance (artillery) attack.

In addition some single attack divisions (strength 8) as (more gamey) backup units: Line Infantry (Basic); Light Infantry (fast skirmish); Guards (rare elite); Heavy Cavalry (representing Dragoons and Cuirassiers) and Light Cavalry (representing Ulans and Hussars).

Two small (strength 5) brigade size units: Garrison and Siege Artillery (mortar, two attacks).

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 25
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 7:37:24 PM   
kirk23

Here is a screen shot of the French purchase options.

The largest land unit will be the Corps,and the smallest the Platoon,as you can see there are also Skirmishers,Light,Medium and Heavy Cavalry,I have had to change the naval game to Fleet and Squadron sized main units,but with Frigates etc available to raid the merchant routes, France has trade from Haiti and Spain has trade from Cuba.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

Post #: 26
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 7:44:51 PM   
kirk23

French research.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 27
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 9:49:33 PM   
Bmorgan077

WOW, an unpunched War and Peace, great game. I have 2 copies but both punched. nice

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 28
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 9:54:40 PM   
Bmorgan077

If this comes through twice, sorry, pc problem.
WOW and unpunched War and Peace. great game, I have 2 copies but both are punched, I would
like to find someone to play it with again.

edit, yep, now I see the first one, I swear it wasn't there before.
and I don't see a way to delete a post. can you?

< Message edited by Bmorgan077 -- 1/12/2017 9:58:36 PM >

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 29
RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! - 1/12/2017 10:57:41 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

Here is a screen shot of the French purchase options.

The largest land unit will be the Corps,and the smallest the Platoon,as you can see there are also Skirmishers,Light,Medium and Heavy Cavalry,I have had to change the naval game to Fleet and Squadron sized main units,but with Frigates etc available to raid the merchant routes, France has trade from Haiti and Spain has trade from Cuba.

Due to current map scale I think the land unit "size" could be as follow:

HQ:
Corps HQ: At its peak (1812) France had around 12 Infantry Corps + 3-4 Cavalry Corps + Imperial Guard + troops in Spain (i believe 3-4 corps)

INFANTRY:
Garnison --> 1 regiment 2000-3000 men
Guerrila/Partisan --> may vary a lot (mainly for Spain/Tyrol/Russia)
Light INFANTRY Regiment --> 1 regiment 2000-3000 men
Militia/Landwher Regiments --> usually organised in Bataillons but for playability maybe better as regiments or Brigades
INFANTRY Brigade --> 2 regiments (4000-6000 men)
INFANTRY Division --> usually between 2 to 4 Brigades + Artillery reserve + 1 light Cavalry regiment

CAVALRY:
Light cavalry regiment --> 800 men as a recon unit
Light Cavalry Division --> usually 2 or 3 brigades (3000 to 5000 men)
Medium Cavalry Division --> usually 2 or 3 brigades (3000 to 5000 men)
Heavy Cavalry Division --> usually 2 brigades ( around 3000 men)

Artillery:
I think the most tricky part to simulate
Mainly only France and Russia use "Grande Batterie" wich can be represented as Artillery Brigade (mix of Foot and Horse)
Siege Artillery --> required for breaking cities morale.
Coastal Gun

Sapper/Pontonneer:
Usually 1 company per Division (80-100 men)
Usually 2/3 company per Corps (300-400 men)
So I think scale could be Battaillon, and this unit should be really weak in case of enemy engagement.

Just a thinking, I dont want to interfere in the current choice you made

Christophe

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI