Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique names, 38 portraits)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique names, 38 portraits) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique names,... - 4/15/2016 9:18:07 AM   
phi6

Greetings Distant Worlds players!

Today I thought I'd participate on the forum properly and contribute a little character mod I've been working on.

I'm sick and tired of seeing every character use the same race image, so I went on the hunt for a character portrait replacement mod. Those I've seen posted on this forum actually work great, but for me I'm not a huge fan of realistic art styles and would prefer a more handpainted look and feel. I didn't really find anything that really suited this.

At the same time I discovered some Elite: Dangerous fan artwork by Kevin Massey. His CMDR portraits in particular I thought were fantastic, and felt would suit Distant Worlds characters perfectly. So I went ahead and painstakingly edited and cropped out his entire collection and slapped them into the game. I personally think they look great, and really adds a lot to my sense of immersion and feel.

In addition to this, I also created a Human.txt character file, containing 2400 unique randomly generated character names, each linking to a character portrait suitable for their role.

I hope you guys find as much joy with these new characters as I do.

[ Mod Features ]

- 2400 randomly generated character names, male and female
- 100% guaranteed unique names (all characters have been parsed and any duplicates removed)
- Random character order, random skills, random traits
- 300 leader names
- 300 ambassador names
- 300 fleet admiral names
- 300 troop general names
- 300 colony governor names
- 300 ship captain names
- 300 scientist names
- 300 intelligence agent names
- 38 unique character portraits spread across the 8 different roles

NOTES

- Humans only, for obvious reasons!
- No pirate leaders yet
- Some character portraits do overlap across several roles. For example, there is a Colony Governor image which I'm also using for a Scientist. This is because the person portrayed on the artwork I felt would fit in either role, and also there would not be enough diversity in portraits otherwise.

[ Credits ]

- All artwork credited to Kevin Massey, as part of his Elite: Dangerous fan artwork collection
http://kevinmassey.deviantart.com/

- Random character names generated using Ergie's Character Randomizer Tool v0.3
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3653852&mpage=1&key=Designing%2CModding%2Ctool�

- Mod packaged, images edited/cropped and some light scripting to remove duplicate names by myself, Phi Dinh.

[ Download and Installation Instructions ]

Download:
http://phidinh.com/dw/char/phisari_character_mod_2_0.zip

Installation:
Simply extract all files to your Distant Worlds installation folder.
New character images will be added and your Human.txt character file will be replaced.

[ Screenshots ]

All 38 Character Portraits

Leaders

Ambassadors

Fleet Admirals

Troop Generals

Colony Governors

Ship Captains

Scientists

Intelligence Agents

< Message edited by phi6 -- 1/21/2017 2:08:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 4/15/2016 2:08:10 PM   
mordachai

Woot! Nice!

Thank you!

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 2
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 4/16/2016 11:27:31 AM   
phi6

Thanks, hope people find value in these kind of visual mods :)

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 3
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 4/17/2016 1:31:00 AM   
salemonz

Wow, thank you so much for this! I do really love these visual mods!

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 4
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 4/17/2016 2:14:38 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

I like this portrait style

(in reply to salemonz)
Post #: 5
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 4/24/2016 7:23:23 PM   
Emperor0Akim

This is absolutely awesome and totally what I was looking for since I opened google to search for DW:U Mods :)

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 6
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 5/14/2016 10:46:36 AM   
patdoomdoom

Niceeeeee

(in reply to Emperor0Akim)
Post #: 7
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 5/15/2016 2:56:17 PM   
Serenitis

Some leaders seem to spawn without any skills at all.

< Message edited by Serenitis -- 5/19/2016 12:05:21 PM >

(in reply to patdoomdoom)
Post #: 8
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 7/26/2016 4:54:14 AM   
DawnPatrol

I'd probably do the smart thing and take this down as soon as your little fingers can hit delete. As for the rest of you who downloaded it, I suggest the same. These are copyrighted images.

(in reply to Serenitis)
Post #: 9
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 7/26/2016 2:02:52 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

I freely dowloaded this mod some weeks ago.
do you really suggest me to delete it ?

(in reply to DawnPatrol)
Post #: 10
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 7/27/2016 7:50:52 PM   
zgrillo2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

I freely dowloaded this mod some weeks ago.
do you really suggest me to delete it ?
Ignore him. he knows nothing about the law

quote:

ORIGINAL: DawnPatrol

I'd probably do the smart thing and take this down as soon as your little fingers can hit delete. As for the rest of you who downloaded it, I suggest the same. These are copyrighted images.

You do know that he isnt selling it or claiming it as his. he is protected by the 1976 Fair Use Act Section 107 which states

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Read your laws nexttime.

(in reply to DawnPatrol)
Post #: 11
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/3/2016 2:45:52 AM   
DawnPatrol

"You do know that he isnt selling it or claiming it as his. he is protected by the 1976 Fair Use Act Section 107 which states

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Read your laws nexttime."

He never asked permission to use the works in the first place. I know the author, and he isn't happy about this at all. Almost all of these portraits were commissioned pieces, paid for by those who wanted their portraits made in the style of the game. Maybe you should know the law a little better. When this website and the original poster receives the cease and desist letters, don't say that you were not warned. These pieces are all copyrighted.

(in reply to zgrillo2004)
Post #: 12
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/3/2016 3:57:13 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

He never asked permission to use the works in the first place. I know the author, and he isn't happy about this at all. Almost all of these portraits were commissioned pieces, paid for by those who wanted their portraits made in the style of the game. Maybe you should know the law a little better. When this website and the original poster receives the cease and desist letters, don't say that you were not warned. These pieces are all copyrighted.

I'm very curious, can you please let me know for which game this wonderful portraits have been done by your friend ?
I would be interested to commission one for myself.
thank you

(in reply to DawnPatrol)
Post #: 13
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/3/2016 5:36:32 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

These pieces are all copyrighted.

I don't know law, but if the artist doesn't want them used so be it. Not like I couldn't find thousands of similar pictures anyways.

Post #: 14
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/4/2016 10:00:44 PM   
Sabranan

I suspect fair use wouldn't cover a game mod, even if it is free. It's designed to cover reporting, academic and research use, not entertainment. All images are copyrighted upon creation and unless the author releases them under a licence allowing for this kind of use it would definitely be better to acquire permission first.

In any event the artist needs to get in touch with phi6 directly, he hasn't logged in since before your first post DawnPatrol, so he probably has no idea this is going on.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 15
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/6/2016 8:15:20 PM   
zgrillo2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: DawnPatrol

Prove to me that you know him in person. I dont take the net seriously. and FYI the DMCA is the most abusive copyright system I have seen. anyone can copyright anything and as such just want to sue if they deem they want more money. its just a cash grab for the lawyers. Im sorry about this but I have never liked the DMCA since its creation and there should be limitations on what is defined as copyright and what is not. But you are right about one thing, Phi6 should have asked before making the mod.

< Message edited by zgrillo2004 -- 8/6/2016 8:16:40 PM >

(in reply to DawnPatrol)
Post #: 16
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/9/2016 9:57:34 AM   
Nightskies

"The purpose of the Fair Use Doctrine is to allow for limited and reasonable uses as long as the use does not interfere with owners’ rights or impede their right to do with the work as they wish." - Sara Hawkins, lawyer

"...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."
Source: 17 USC Section 107.

Commissioned fan art. Will Mr. Massey be selling these images to anyone else? If not, please drop it, because even if he uses a lawyer, he's not getting anything but a loss of exposure for future commissions. phi6 isn't getting anything out of this, and Mr. Massey isn't losing anything. Nobody is getting commissioned to do artwork for fan-made modifications of games, and nor should they, because there is no money made in these mods- unlike Elite: Dangerous' fan commissions. Actually, you can't make money making artwork for game mods, because that money should go to the game publisher unless they give you rights to the game (*in most cases). I also agree phi6 should have asked first, but saying no to the unasked question is far more questionable. If you happen to see this, Kevin, please consider what could be accomplished by trying to remove your works here. Disappointment and a perhaps wizened phi6.

Unless it's your objective to force all mods to be made official using only material authorized by the game publishers, in which case we are enemies. The sort of enemies who want to see the other living in a homeless shelter. But hey, that's not how it works right now, so let's just be friendly! This is great artwork, and I'm adding the DeviantArt page to my bookmarks.

< Message edited by Nightskies -- 8/9/2016 11:30:47 AM >

Post #: 17
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/13/2016 11:19:12 PM   
Twigster

Um...wow!

(in reply to Nightskies)
Post #: 18
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 8/14/2016 5:49:10 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

any news from DawnPatrol.. ?????

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 19
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 9/21/2016 5:20:26 PM   
zgrillo2004

I think nightskies and I just screwed him over with our logic. He was nothing more than a copyright troll.

Post #: 20
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 10/10/2016 11:50:45 AM   
phi6

Hello everyone, indeed I haven't logged on since DawnPatrol's reply - so had no idea this was going on.

Firstly, yes - I probably should have asked the original author, but my laziness is to blame and I honestly didn't think it would be a problem due to it being a non-profit mod. I realise this is probably wrong of me to do so.

I have not received any communication from the original author asking me to take this down, but I am happy to so if that is their intention.

Post #: 21
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 10/22/2016 10:50:21 AM   
Serenitis

I wouldn't worry.
There is zero mention of this anywhere outside this thread. Nothing on twitter, devart, or the artists blog, which if it was such a huge problem that folk had a big issue with does not jive at all.

This DawnPatrol dude made an account to post here. Posted a total of two times both of which were in this thread, and both times the posts were accusatory/hostile not only to phi, but to other users.
This guy is yanking your chain for lols.
I highly doubt you will ever recieve any word from the author as it is very likely that he;
a| doesn't know about it, or
b| if he does know he doesn't care, because a cosmetic mod for a niche as hell game has zero impact on anything

Maximum ignore.
Anyone probably should ask first if you're borrowing assets though.

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 22
RE: [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique na... - 1/21/2017 2:11:35 AM   
phi6

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serenitis

Some leaders seem to spawn without any skills at all.

I've just updated the mod to version 2 which fixes this issue.
All characters are now guaranteed to have some skills.

(in reply to Serenitis)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [REL] Phisari's Human Character Mod (2400 unique names, 38 portraits) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI