Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OpFire bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> OpFire bug? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OpFire bug? - 5/16/2001 8:12:00 AM   
Slayer

Recently I started using 'manual' OpFire, and since playing scenarios with v5.01 tonight and last night, I noticed something that is more than likely a bug: Sometimes when one of my infantry units is given the opportunity to OpFire on an adjacent enemy infantry unit and I left-click to accept, the unit will fire at a completely different unit, sometimes quite far away. It didn't seem to be so big a problem last night, even though it happened once or twice, but tonight a T-28 and a squad or two of infantry moved beside an engineer unit of mine, and I was given the chance to OpFire on the infantry. I knew it was important to get the flame-thrower going before I got point-blank rifle and 76mm fire, so I left-clicked, and was quite surprised to see the screen suddenly shift to an infantry squad in the middle of a clearing a fair distance away, with the engineers firing Rifles and LMGs at it, leaving the Soviet infantry untouched and ready to fire.

Post #: 1
- 5/16/2001 8:14:00 AM   
Slayer

And before anyone asks, yes I am sure that the OpFire WAS for the adjacent infantry squad! :)

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2001 8:16:00 AM   
Alby

Ive often had op fire that fires at the unit it had previuosly fired at, not the one its supposed to. Perhaps this happened to you as well? Ive noticed alot of op fire strangeness of late. Is this A tough bug to kill? Just askin. ;) [ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2001 8:21:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

THis is happening in "solitaire" mode? Its happened in Online play - but this is the first report of it occuring in solitaire mode...strange!

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2001 8:29:00 AM   
Slayer

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: Ive often had op fire that fires at the unit it had previuosly fired at, not the one its supposed to. Perhaps this happened to you as well?
Now that you mentioned it, I believe the unit in the field that WAS fired at may have been one that I passed over for OpFire not long before the incident. I'm not sure, however...

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 5
- 5/16/2001 9:21:00 AM   
Charles2222

Slayer: Maybe it's just me, but I've never thought of using the LMB to confirm opfire. I use spacebar to fire and 'n' to decline and I've never seen what you're talking about in any version (I always play against the AI).

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 6
- 5/16/2001 9:33:00 AM   
Trolz

only just started playing spwaw(played sp1-3 a lot!)...but i have not seen this...like i said though,i have just started..... :)

Here's to ya! Career League

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 7
- 5/16/2001 11:00:00 AM   
Don

We saw alot of this in online play while testing, but I've never seen it in solitary play. I too use the mouse buttons to confirm or say no to op-fire.

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 8
- 5/16/2001 11:27:00 PM   
Mark McIntosh

quote:

Originally posted by Slayer: Recently I started using 'manual' OpFire, and since playing scenarios with v5.01 tonight and last night, I noticed something that is more than likely a bug: Sometimes when one of my infantry units is given the opportunity to OpFire on an adjacent enemy infantry unit and I left-click to accept, the unit will fire at a completely different unit, sometimes quite far away...
I've also noticed that the AI infantry small arms OP fire will target an AFV at max range. Now I don't know if this is because they had an ATR with them or not but it seems strange. BTW, that Boys ATR sure is potent, even knocking out Pz-Ibs and PzJ-Is at 500-600 yards. Regards, Mark

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 9
- 5/17/2001 12:01:00 AM   
Charles2222

Actually the Boy's ATR is fairly wimpy in terms of it's own class. The good thing for the Brits was that there were a number of places on German tanks that were suseptible to it piercing. One thing I don't get though, as it is related in the game. There is a Brit SMG on some units, which has a range of 6. I've yet to see any other SMG which has a range greater then 3.

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 10
- 5/17/2001 1:58:00 AM   
Slayer

quote:

Originally posted by Charles_22: One thing I don't get though, as it is related in the game. There is a Brit SMG on some units, which has a range of 6. I've yet to see any other SMG which has a range greater then 3.
Well, last night I was playing a scenario as ANZAC, and some squads were equiped with an SMG called 'Owens' with a range of 5, and if you check the encyclopedia, you will find the German SMG has a range of 4. I believe that most SMGs had their range extended in this version. At any rate, I'll try using the space bar instead of the mouse to confirm OpFire, just in case it makes a difference. Thanks to everyone for their replies! [ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: Slayer ]

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 11
- 5/17/2001 6:47:00 AM   
Bonzo

I have seen this once in solitary play, using a premade scenario against the AI, recently with version 5. There were 2 targets,Tanks A & B. Tank A moved first, several hexes away from my hidden infantry squad. I refused opfire by pressing 'N'. Tank B moved adjacent to my infantry & my infantry failed to assault it, despite having no suppresion & having the range set to 10. I was given the opportunity to opfire at Tank B so I used the space bar to opfire. My infantry then fired at Tank A rather than assaulting tank B. Of course, no damage was done, but my unit was discovered & exterminated. This has happened only once in many, many games so may be some sort of logic bomb requiring some very specific conditions for it to occur, thus making it exceedingly difficult to recreate & thus solve. [ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: Bonzo ]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 12
- 5/17/2001 7:05:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Charles_22: Slayer: Maybe it's just me, but I've never thought of using the LMB to confirm opfire. I use spacebar to fire and 'n' to decline and I've never seen what you're talking about in any version (I always play against the AI).
I use spacebar too, but I mostly play online, so......Im stuck with the bugs :rolleyes:

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 13
- 5/17/2001 7:56:00 AM   
Slayer

quote:

Originally posted by Bonzo: This has happened only once in many, many games so may be some sort of logic bomb requiring some very specific conditions for it to occur, thus making it exceedingly difficult to recreate & thus solve.
This happened to me at least twice in two days, so I don't believe that it is that rare. I would not find the problem so frustrating if it was not just on adjacent targets, because those are the situations where OpFire is vital for the survival of my unit.

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> OpFire bug? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI