Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 1/24/2017 8:22:52 PM   
EliphasTheInheritor

Congratulations rjord1!! Can't wait to try this mod,you've put so much work in it,you deserve all the respect!
By the way,I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic,but do you have plans for a stargate mod after finishing The Return Of Khan?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 481
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/25/2017 12:41:44 AM   
rjord2021

These are the races that appeared in Star Trek TOS or in the Animated Series. There were a few that I removed as they were on the level of being pets so would not have access to warp technology.

There are 2 or 3 in the list below which may be removed as they also may not have access to warp technology. Tribbles for example.

This is the list so far and this does not include races introduced in TNG or DS9

- Federation
- Klingons
- Romulans
- Vulcans
- Khan Noonian Singh

- Andorian
- Gorn
- Tholian
- Kzinti
- Orion Pirates
- Breen
- Talosian
- Thasians (Charlie X)
- Taurean (Galileo 7)
- Ekosians
- Metrons
- Horta
- Capellans
- Argelians
- Halkans
- Tellarites
- Mugato
- Elasians
- Megans
- Melkotians
- Tribbles
- Iotians
- Kelvans
- Vians
- Fabrini
- Medusans
- Scalosians
- Excalbains
- Slaver Empire (Animated)
- Ursinoid (Animated)
- Vendorians (Animated)
- Dramians (Animated)
- Glommer (Animated)
- Le-Matya (Animated)
- Sehlat (Animated)
- Aquans (Animated)
- Sur-Snake (Animated)
- Lactrans (Animated)
- Maravel Dragons (Animated)
- Phylosians (Animated)
- Swooper (Animated)
- Terratins (Animated)
- Skorr (Animated)
- Vedala (Animated)
- Pandronians (Animated)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:26:20 AM >

(in reply to EliphasTheInheritor)
Post #: 482
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/25/2017 12:49:38 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: EliphasTheInheritor

Congratulations rjord1!! Can't wait to try this mod,you've put so much work in it,you deserve all the respect!
By the way,I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic,but do you have plans for a stargate mod after finishing The Return Of Khan?

Hi EliphasTheInheritor

Thanks for the kind words... much appreciated.

The mods coming out for Distant Worlds Universe and eventually Distant Worlds 2 are:

- Star Trek Kirk era and Star Trek Voyager released at roughly the same time
- Doctor Who is currently being planned

- Additional mods being thought of
: Battle Star Galactica 2018
: Stargate
: Star Wars 2018

These will all depends on interest from others in the forum

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:26:37 AM >

(in reply to EliphasTheInheritor)
Post #: 483
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/26/2017 7:16:27 PM   
rjord2021

When the mod starts and I have the Enterprise built I look at the map and see all these systems around Sol and have no idea if I have friendly races in nearby systems or whether I have the most dangerous species nearby that I will ever encounter.

While exploring the Sol system to see what resources are available I cannot help but be worried that I will soon meet a formidable foe.

I have not met Klingons or Romulans yet but I am sure there are races out there that are hostile and should be avoided at all costs.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:26:52 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 484
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/26/2017 7:21:25 PM   
rjord2021

Warp technology has been perfected and the Enterprise has been refitted and, Starfleet has given us a long term mission to explore the nearby systems and make contact with new civilizations.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:27:07 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 485
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/26/2017 7:27:14 PM   
rjord2021

The way I'm designing this mod is specifically recreate what Kirk and other captains experienced as they discovered new worlds.

Danger was possible at any time but even though the Constitution Class starships such as the Enterprise were specifically for science and exploration their weapons gave them the ability to protect the ship if they were attacked.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:27:20 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 486
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 1/27/2017 6:02:06 AM   
Dakkon7

How often would the system editor be used during a role playing game?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 487
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/27/2017 7:01:34 PM   
rjord2021

During game play there may be times when your ship encounters another ship or object ahead of you and this needs to be added via the editor.

Example
During the Tholian Web episode the Enterprise is bring trapped in a web. . recreated in the mod.

Example
Giant green hand in space

Example
Encounter with Harry Mudd or Gary 7 and Roberta

Example
Introduction of Mirror or alternate universe characters

Example
Creating the Neutral Zone and Monitoring stations along the border

Example
One of the Enterprise crew captured by Klingons and the Enterprise needs to find the Ship.

Example
Adding Tribbles

Example
Adding the Guardian of Forever

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:27:32 AM >

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 488
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 1/27/2017 11:07:02 PM   
Dakkon7

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 489
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/28/2017 12:43:05 AM   
rjord2021

I have 31 versions of the files determining what each race thinks of the others. 31 is the number I use a particular set of files depending on what day of the month I start the game.

Most of the time the Vulcans will get on with Earth however in yesterday's game the Vulcans declared war on the Federation Worlds and it was interesting to see that play out..

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:27:47 AM >

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 490
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/28/2017 1:56:23 AM   
rjord2021

The First Federation added to the mod.

Briefly seen on TV with the Fesarian Commander Balok I have created new characters and ships for this race which is a military race that is more than equal to taking on the Klingons and Romulans.

If you encounter the Fasarians keep an eye out for Balok who is one of 60 commanders on First Federation ships.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:28:01 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 491
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/28/2017 11:55:36 AM   
rjord2021

The Enterprise firing phasers or photon torpedoes at an enemy ship is one thing I will always remember seeing as a kid and I am doing some tests on how to get this effect working in the mod as seen on the tv show.

But before the Enterprise can get to the level of firing these weapons you need to have researched the correct technology tree.

The next 10 days will be specifically allocated to adding in research technology straight out of Star Trek

The following has to be separated into use by specific races:

- Energy technology 148 technologies
- Transporter technology 86 technologies
- Computer technology 198 technologies
- Communications technology 224 technologies
- Shield technology 52 technologies
- Sensor technology 168 technologies
- Weapons technology 267 technologies
- Scanning technology 84 technologies
- Propulsion technology 117 technologies

The technologies may have sub categories to be researched

example:

Under long range communications

You have
Subspace communications networks consisting of:

Subspace relays:
Subspace relay station
Subspace relay antenna
Subspace relay satellite
Communication array

This mod will have a comprehensive and realistic research and technology tree required to gain technological advancement over other races....

This mod will take you where no other mod has gone before with a realistic technology tree and components on planets and in systems specifically required for each of the 9 technology.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:28:13 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 492
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/28/2017 8:01:51 PM   
rjord2021

For the mod I have added a few more years to Sarek's age to make the age difference between him and Spock a little more realistic.

Mark Leonard who played Sarek was born in 1924 and Leonard Nimoy was born in 1931 ....7 years difference,
..... and when you see Spock and Sarek together in the original series you can see that , despite the 60s makeup given to Sarek's character, the characters are not that much different in ages.

I found a rare and fairly faded picture of Sarek which I have restored and added more color so it can be used in the mod. This shows Sarek onboard a Vulcan starship responding to a threat by a newly discovered race.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:28:37 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 493
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/28/2017 8:59:42 PM   
rjord2021

Every picture on the role play cards is being given my version of the remaster treatment,

For example the original picture of Kirk below on the left from the tv series was converted to the picture on the right showing what I believe it would have looked like if filmed in 2017 with the latest camera technology.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:28:49 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 494
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/29/2017 3:31:48 AM   
rjord2021

Commodore Matthew Decker... captured by Klingons and sentenced on the charge of being a Federation spy.
His sentence..... a lifetime of hard labor on the Klingon Prison Planet Rura Penthe as it was in 2266.

While he is there he encounters a female character well known to James T Kirk who has been there unknown to the Federation for 3 months.

Hearing of the capture of Matt Decker, James Kirk takes a civilian ship into Klingon space and travels to Rura Penthe to rescue Matt Decker from the Klingon prison.

This is just one of many stories you may encounter about Commodore Matthew Decker

The picture below shows a prison not buried in snow as this is in another climate on the other side of Rura Penthe.

The events here occurred 27 years before the events on Rura Penthe in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:29:03 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 495
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/29/2017 6:54:08 AM   
rjord2021

This is the Federation's most advanced starbase .... the Yorktown.

As technology goes this version of the Yorktown pales in comparison to the one seen in Star Trek Beyond.
However keep in mind that the Federation in the alternate timeline is way more advanced than what existed in the Prime TOS universe.

The Yorktown seen below is a more advanced version of the Vanguard Space station of 2266 and is a technological step up towards the space dock seen in Star Trek VI.

This is still a work in progress with colors and shadows still to be fixed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:29:16 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 496
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/29/2017 6:17:19 PM   
rjord2021

A complete overhaul of Research
--------------------------------------

: This mod will include a completely new research tree designed specifically for Star Trek
: This is a massive undertaking where all exiting Distant Worlds Universe research is thrown out
: Research will be divided into many categories such as planets, starbases and starships

An example of what will be seen included with starship research
Each of these will be improved by research, new technology and introduction of new components.

- environmental systems
- tactical systems
- command systems
- computer systems
- warp propulsion systems
- impulse propulsion systems
- utilities and auxiliary systems
- communications
- transporter systems
- science and remote sensing systems
- crew support systems
- auxiliary spacecraft systems
- flight operations systems
- emergency operations systems

These are all broken down into sub-categories

Example under Tactical Systems

- Phasers
- Phaser Operations
- Photon Torpedoes
- Photon Torpedo Operations
- Battle Bridge control Stations
- Tactical Policies
- Personal Phasers - Security Teams and Landing Parties
- Deflector Shields
- Auto-destruct Systems

Each of these have categories within them......

Just a quick note about Auto-Destruct

: In the role play if a Federation ship is heavily damaged and Klingons or Romulans are boarding, the captain may very well engage the auto-destruct. When this happens any ship in close proximity may be destroyed in the explosion and this will be determined by role play.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:29:32 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 497
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 1/29/2017 7:29:41 PM   
Twigster

I.can't.wait.for this.mod!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 498
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/29/2017 10:01:17 PM   
rjord2021

To replace the Research Tree I needed to understand how it works with Distant Worlds Universe.

The picture below shows 153 projects in the Research Tree for Weapons Research only.
With Energy and High Tech Research included there are 380 projects in total.

These are in the current Research Tree and all 380 research projects will be scrapped and replaced with Star Trek related projects..
after 8 months looking into such projects I could use I have a list of about 1344 possible projects to choose from.

The configuration file for Research appears to be straight forward and the time taken will be to put it all together.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:29:47 AM >

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 499
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/29/2017 10:30:52 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twigster

I.can't.wait.for this.mod!

Thanks Twigster...... if you are a huge Star Trek fan like I am then you are going to like this mod.

I will mention the following as teasers as who or what you will see in the mod.

- Zefram Cochrane

- Starfleet Academy

Of course there will be much more to see but these two were added last night.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:30:00 AM >

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 500
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/29/2017 11:19:04 PM   
rjord2021

Distant Worlds Universe includes the option to play the game in a pre-warp society.
If this option is taken this means the people of Earth have not discovered warp drive.

Hence Zefram Cochrane will be in the mod with his warp capable spaceship... The Phoenix.
But before The Phoenix is built warp core technology will have to be researched and the resource verterium cortenide manufactured as it is a composite material used to fashion The Phoenix's warp coils.

For verterium cortenide to be manufactured you need 2 minerals to exist on Earth.

1. polysilicate verterium
2. monocrystal cortenum

Warp coils are structures within the warp drive nacelles that are bombarded by high energy plasma which then results in the formation of the subspace "bubble" in which the ship travels at warp speed. The coils surround the warp core which is made of tungsten-cobalt-magnesium.

The warp core reactor is then fueled by:
1. Matter - liquified deuterium
2. Anti-matter - liquified anti-deuterium

Dilithium crystals are used to moderate the combining of the matter and anti-matter and sending the resulting energy to the warp coils in the ncacelles.

Therefore for warp engines to be a reality on your ships you need the following:

1. polysilicate verterium
2. monocrystal cortenum
3. Tungsten
4. Cobalt
5. Magnesium
6. Deuterium - matter
7. Anti-deuterium - antimatter
8. Dilithium crystals

You need a supply of these 8 items on your planet at all times to produce the warp core as well as the verterium cortenide needed to construct the inner layer of the warp nacelles. Without a good supply of these resources you are not going to have warp engines and you are not going anywhere fast.

If you run out of any of these resources and all your ships need refueling you will have to rely on trade to barter for the much needed resource. Therefore it is important to monitor your resources at all times.

And so it begins with the first item in the research tree and first 8 essential resources that you need plenty in stock.

I have now added the Phoenix into the mod and worked out some story lines of what happens to The Phoenix as well as Zefram Cochrane and explain how someone who was prior to Archer's era is in the Kirk era.... think the Metamorphosis TV episode.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:30:12 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 501
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/30/2017 3:37:43 AM   
rjord2021

Work in progress on the Research Titless for Starfleet in this case.
There will be different research screens depending on race being played.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:30:26 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 502
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/30/2017 5:06:46 AM   
rjord2021

Changes to the way warp drive propulsion systems are researched and added to Federation ships.

By default in Distant Worlds Universe the ability to research hyperdrive is disabled until you do some exploring around the system.
This has been changed in this mod as Starfleet did not travel around the Sol system and then find ancient ruins which gave them the secrets to warp drive.

What has changed?

In the Starship Research Screen you now have the ability to begin research on warp propulsion systems whenever you like as they are no longer disabled.

Before I release the mod I will be adding 2 more research steps in front of what I already have.

However at the moment, you begin research into warp drive using the following research projects.

1. Research : Plasma Injector Systems
2. Research : Reaction between Matter and Anti-matter
3. Research : Warp Core Main Reactor
4. Research : Warp Drive Propulsion System

During the research into propulsion technology the warp engines will begin giving you a top speed of Warp Factor 1.

Additional research and upgrades will give you additional warp speed until you reach the maximum warp speed for the Kirk TV era of Warp Factor 6.

I know in the Archer era they had the Warp-5 engine however with this timeline the Archer era never occurred so the Kirk era will get up to Warp 6 which is the maximum safe speed for a Constitution class starship.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:30:39 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 503
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/30/2017 5:21:02 AM   
rjord2021

When Warp Drive has been researched and is available this will unlock the Earth's first starship The Phoenix.
The Phoenix will be the first warp capable ship seen leaving Earth.... not the Enterprise.

The character Zefram Cochrane will appear on Earth and will board The Phoenix and make Earth's first warp flight into space.

There will be No First Contact with the Vulcans.
There will be no appearance by the Enterprise-D, Captain Picard and the Borg Sphere.
These will be added later in the role play as a nod to the movie Star Trek VI - First Contact.

After The Phoenix successfully achieves Warp using Cochrane Warp Drive, a new Research begins into Warp Drive Factor 1 Speed.

When this finishes this will unlock the Constitution class starships.

At this stage the USS Enterprise will be built and the adventure begins.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 5:30:53 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 504
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 1/30/2017 6:06:01 AM   
rjord2021

Prior to researching Warp Drive Technology, research will be done on the following:

- Research into Mark I Radio Telescope Operations on the Moon Jan 1, 2062
- Research into Mark II Radio Telescope Operations - enhanced
- First planet discovered in a nearby system. Planet is called Terra Nova. Talks begins to colonize the planet.

This gives Earth the reason to research warp drive so they can explore and potentially colonize Terra Nova.

Zefram creates historic first flight at warp speed.
Research begins into warp capable scientific probes
A Scientific Probe with warp engine launched towards Terra Nova and is lost.
The Enterprise is built and crew and Captain assigned.
The Enterprise explores the system cataloging resources in the system.
The Enterprise travels to Terra Nova looking for the missing probe.

Research into interstellar probes MK I - which are launched to nearby stars
Research into interstellar probes MK II "Nomad" series.
Nomad Probe is launched... is then lost and presumed destroyed.
Terra Nova hit by asteroid whose fallout eventually kills all the adult colonists leaving the children.
Kirk is given command of the enterprise and his first mission is to Terra Nova
This is an Archer era mission to Terra Nova (Season 1 episode 6) now in the Kirk era.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 6:24:20 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 505
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 1/30/2017 9:00:46 AM   
rjord2021

More planetary enhancements.......

The original image on the left
The modified and larger image on the right used in the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 1/30/2017 9:01:47 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 506
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 1/30/2017 9:25:37 AM   
rjord2021

Testing the new colors for water worlds

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 507
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/1/2017 8:41:49 AM   
rjord2021

All planets will be getting a makeover in this mod and created from scratch.

Each planet that is capable of having an atmosphere will show an atmosphere around the planet.

Created in photoshop..... 3 different planets with one texture

The blue planet took 10 minutes to create
The other planets took less than a minute each.

These gas giants have an atmosphere around them which is composed of 80-95% Hydrogen and 5-20% Helium...gases which are poisonous to us. The gas giants do have a solid core but you cannot send a landing party down there as the pressure is too great.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/1/2017 8:54:09 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 508
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/1/2017 10:33:48 AM   
rjord2021

Test within the mod with shadows.....

The 3 boxes shows some of the steps in Photoshop used to create the texture using Photoshop's gradient tool and FSX tools.

With this test successfully over the planets will be made bigger and the atmospheres enhanced.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/1/2017 10:36:40 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 509
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/1/2017 3:50:25 PM   
rjord2021

When picking the color atmosphere for a world which has 50% water and 50% land the question would be what color should the atmosphere be.

Neptune for example is blue but not because it is covered in water but due to the trace of methane in the atmosphere absorbs the red light from the sun but reflects the blue light from the Sun back into space.

There are 3 factors which determine what a planet looks like from space.

I eventually decided based on the opening of Star Wars IV where the desert world of Tatooine has a blue atmosphere not a brownish atmosphere.

Version 2 of the atmosphere effect will have the color the same blue as the Tatooine shot as this was a very effective look.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/1/2017 3:53:19 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI