Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what exactly is a vampire?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> what exactly is a vampire? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what exactly is a vampire? - 1/28/2017 4:25:56 AM   
Rangoon

I'm working on my custom Seahag Regexp entries and can't find a clear definition of Vampire. I see on military jargon sites that it means Hostile Anti-Ship Missile, but I get the impression in CMANO it is more general - like any sort of Air-to-Ground or Air-to-Surface Missile? Or is it still broader than that?

Or is it some kind of unidentified missile?
Post #: 1
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/28/2017 4:35:07 AM   
Dysta

Vampire = Hostile ASM

http://www.combat.ws/S4/SAILOR/SAILOR.HTM

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 2
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/28/2017 5:02:51 AM   
Rangoon

As mentioned in my original post, that's what I thought, too. But I'm confused then why "Red Side" in the Air tutorial reports Vampires by its radars when referring to what I assume are my Shrike ARMs.

from one of the logs:
"2/21/1983 5:25:46 PM - Red Side: New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #63 - Detected by SAM Bn (SA-3c Goa [S-125M1 Neva-M]) [Sensors: Flat Face B [P-19]] at 331deg - 16.3nm"

I have no Anti-Ship Missiles in my arsenal for that scenario.

< Message edited by Rangoon -- 1/28/2017 5:03:22 AM >

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 3
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/28/2017 8:29:24 AM   
Cik

cruise missiles, nuclear or otherwise get tagged as vampires

i think it goes

>initial detection (missile of some type)
>tagged as vampire ####
>if visually ID'ed it will change to guidedweapon or a few other tags

in operation lightning strike the baburs pakistani(?) anti-land tactical nuclear weapons get tagged as vampire. in command it seems like any hostile unknown missile gets the vampire tag.

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 4
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/28/2017 1:05:55 PM   
mikmykWS

We had a discussion about this early on and turns out many nations use different terms for all kinds of things and its kind of impossible for to make everybody happy.

Mike

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 5
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 3:37:57 AM   
Rangoon

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

We had a discussion about this early on and turns out many nations use different terms for all kinds of things and its kind of impossible for to make everybody happy.

Mike

I'm certainly not judging the decision to use the term vampire in one way or another, but I'm wondering how it's used so I can intelligently write regular expressions for SeaHag to filter and process their announcements in the log.

For now, I'll assume Cik has it sorted out as a generic/unknown missile type and go with that (i.e., I'll treat it like air-to-air missiles and SAMs, for my purposes).

Thanks!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 6
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 6:05:26 AM   
Dimitris

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 7
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 1:52:22 PM   
mikmykWS

Now this is a Vampire!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 1:58:45 PM   
Kitchens Sink

This wasn't covered in the manual

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 9
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 2:01:27 PM   
Rangoon

Now the question is, *who* among us is a vampire? Clearly Sunburn is, given the redirection tactic.

(in reply to Kitchens Sink)
Post #: 10
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 2:23:43 PM   
AlGrant

Now at this point I was tempted to suggest 'Zippo' as described in APP-7 as a more generic missile alert call.
http://nato.radioscanner.ru/files/article140/brevity_words_app7e_.pdf (pg82)

"ZIPPO Alerts units that a missile attack is imminent or in progress. Suffix letters/numbers indicated the type of threat and reactions required."

However not only does 'Vampire' sound better .... so are the pictures!

...And yes, I do know there are some very cool looking zippo's out there, but none quite compare to Mike's Vampire

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 11
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 3:46:31 PM   
stilesw

And less we forget:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kitchens Sink)
Post #: 12
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 8:59:29 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rangoon

quote:

Mike

I'm certainly not judging the decision to use the term vampire in one way or another, but I'm wondering how it's used so I can intelligently write regular expressions for SeaHag to filter and process their announcements in the log.

For now, I'll assume Cik has it sorted out as a generic/unknown missile type and go with that (i.e., I'll treat it like air-to-air missiles and SAMs, for my purposes).

Thanks!

Most people probably let it go after the first couple seconds.

Mike

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 13
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 9:00:05 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

Now the question is, *who* among us is a vampire? Clearly Sunburn is, given the redirection tactic.

Zoinks! He's on to us Scooby.

Mike

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 14
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 10:17:22 PM   
Rangoon

quote:

Most people probably let it go after the first couple seconds.

Mike

Sure, as would I. I'm not asking how to react to it, but how to route it in SeaHag. I'm asking: Since (in CMANO), a "Vampire" isn't limited to an anti-ship missile specifically, is any air-to-surface missile? Is it any surface-to-surface missile?

I figured this was something someone at Matrix would know (someone had to program it, even if he/she is a vampire).

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 15
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 11:04:10 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah its any hostile missile.

Seahag is a mod not done by anybody within Matrix or Warfaresims. Warfaresims are the developers of CMANO and Matrix is our current publisher.

Here's the link for the Seahag string. All feedback can probably go there.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3457871

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 1/29/2017 11:06:27 PM >

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 16
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/29/2017 11:59:23 PM   
Rangoon

quote:

Seahag is a mod not done by anybody within Matrix or Warfaresims. Warfaresims are the developers of CMANO and Matrix is our current publisher.

Mike

For sure, and thanks - I understand about SeaHag not being Matrix/Warfaresims, which is why I didn't ask in the SeaHag thread - it's not about SeaHag per se, but about CMANO logic. I mentioned SeaHag because I thought it might be helpful to explain one half of the reason why I'm curious about the designation of vampire vs. other missiles in the log file, but perhaps that just confused things - sorry!

"Any hostile missile" is exactly the answer I was looking for. I didn't recall it being applied to air-to-air missiles, yet knew it wasn't just being applied to anti-ship missiles, so I wanted to narrow it down. I had a brief window to play CMANO right when it released, and again a little around the time when SeaHag was released, but then a long hiatus. I'm now getting back to it and really enjoy the layer SeaHag brings, and enjoy tinkering with the Regular Expression language that uses. But when it comes down to it, this is about learning modern warfare and as such there is an awful lot to learn here! I never had a chance to play Harpoon back in the day. I rely on those Military terminology lexicons a lot, and this one was throwing me off. So thanks! :)

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 17
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 1/30/2017 12:02:40 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

quote:

Mike

For sure, and thanks - I understand about SeaHag not being Matrix/Warfaresims, which is why I didn't ask in the SeaHag thread - it's not about SeaHag per se, but about CMANO logic. I mentioned SeaHag because I thought it might be helpful to explain one half of the reason why I'm curious about the designation of vampire vs. other missiles in the log file, but perhaps that just confused things - sorry!

"Any hostile missile" is exactly the answer I was looking for. I didn't recall it being applied to air-to-air missiles, yet knew it wasn't just being applied to anti-ship missiles, so I wanted to narrow it down. I had a brief window to play CMANO right when it released, and again a little around the time when SeaHag was released, but then a long hiatus. I'm now getting back to it and really enjoy the layer SeaHag brings, and enjoy tinkering with the Regular Expression language that uses. But when it comes down to it, this is about learning modern warfare and as such there is an awful lot to learn here! I never had a chance to play Harpoon back in the day. I rely on those Military terminology lexicons a lot, and this one was throwing me off. So thanks! :)

No problem

Mike

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 18
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 2/3/2017 3:51:57 AM   
FireForEffect

For anyone interested, the Brevity Codewords manual that specifies all the codewords used in NATO is unclassified and available here http://navybmr.com/study%20material/APP-7,%20JOINT%20BREVITY%20WORDS%20PUBLICATIONS.pdf

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 19
RE: what exactly is a vampire? - 2/3/2017 12:37:41 PM   
stilesw

FireForEffect,

Thanks for locating this document. I've added it to the "unofficial" CMANO Reference Library. If you, or anyone else, would like to be able to access this Dropbox folder please send me a PM with your email address and I'll set you up.

So far we have 23 CMANO members signed up and 110 reference items.

-Wayne Stiles

< Message edited by stilesw -- 2/3/2017 12:39:42 PM >

(in reply to FireForEffect)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> what exactly is a vampire? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI