Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:12:44 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I was thinking that too, about the tie. Wouldn't Hardy flip that at someone he was frustrated with?

I'm guessing that his wife helped him put on the tie, so she did a double turn around his neck in hopes it would be tight enough ....

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2191
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:20:03 PM   
Lecivius

Out of curiosity I looked around a bit. The 'short tie' was used a lot in WWII due to shortages, with the larger, and in many cases broader, ties coming out after rationing was eliminated after the war. Who knew rationing included ties? What that generation did to win the war just continues to draw my admiration.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 2192
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:23:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

Short tie and blue suede shoes.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2193
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:26:11 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Out of curiosity I looked around a bit. The 'short tie' was used a lot in WWII due to shortages, with the larger, and in many cases broader, ties coming out after rationing was eliminated after the war. Who knew rationing included ties? What that generation did to win the war just continues to draw my admiration.

So why didn't they eliminate ties and stiff collars altogether and let comfortable shirts be worn in the office/public places? I am retired now and have no desire to put another tie around my neck (but will do it for funerals and weddings to show respect).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2194
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:53:39 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

So why didn't they eliminate ties and stiff collars altogether and let comfortable shirts be worn in the office/public places? I am retired now and have no desire to put another tie around my neck (but will do it for funerals and weddings to show respect).

DamnifIknow That was a bit before my time

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2195
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 4:28:35 PM   
geofflambert

Here's my favorite tie. I plan to wear it to my funeral.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2196
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 4:33:49 PM   
geofflambert

This friend claims to have seen them (with Shemp, not Curly) up close at a mall in Decatur and to have shook Moe's hand. He did have to wash the hand eventually.

Post #: 2197
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 4:36:55 PM   
geofflambert

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard ...

Post #: 2198
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 5:24:36 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

That picture takes me back through the fog of age. Your friend is 11 years younger than my dad. I remember going to granpa's house {where dad grew up} and playing with three rail train tracks. I never saw the trains and never more than a couple of track lengths. Now I am going to spend the rest of the day trying to remember the layout of granpa's old ranch house {which we tore apart piece by piece to build two other houses}.

You're just a baby, then. My dad was born in 1929 and his given names were Herbert Hoover. That is because he was born on Inauguration Day, which back then was on March the 3rd.

Post #: 2199
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 6:02:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

This friend claims to have seen them (with Shemp, not Curly) up close at a mall in Decatur and to have shook Moe's hand. He did have to wash the hand eventually.

With Shemp? That's like seeing Van Halen with Sammy Lee Hagar. I guess it's better than not at all, but quite clearly not the quality of the original.

Post #: 2200
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 6:25:10 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

With Shemp? That's like seeing Van Halen with Sammy Lee Hagar. I guess it's better than not at all, but quite clearly not the quality of the original.

You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

However, I wouldn't mind shaking Sammy Lee's wife Kari's something or other.

Are you saying he is Hagar the Horrible?

Qvack!

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 2/2/2017 6:33:01 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2201
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 7:05:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

Qvack!

I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.

Post #: 2202
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 7:25:13 PM   
geofflambert

If I had hands I could show one or two, but not in that case.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2203
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 8:48:28 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Qvack!

I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.

Ask Mick Jagger, who did at 73. And he's already a great-grand father.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2204
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 10:04:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Qvack!

Well, that's what Mick thinks anyway! I'd want some DNA testing of Junior if I was a father now!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2205
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 10:36:38 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Qvack!

Well, that's what Mick thinks anyway! I'd want some DNA testing of Junior if I was a father now!

The baby's lips are a giveaway :-)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2206
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 12:19:59 AM   
geofflambert

You're saying if the kid has the lips of a grouper he's Mick's? To tell you the truth, if somebody assigned a kid to me and said he/she was mine I wouldn't argue or ask for a DNA test. I'm old. I don't know any better.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2207
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 2:20:28 AM   
geofflambert

Want to say something about the best actor I ever saw. He's been in many movies with actors everyone would say are among the best they ever saw. He always gets surrounded with great actors beacause of how great he is. This guy has dumbfounded me my whole life. I think the first time I saw him, or noticed him was when he played Boo Radley.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2208
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 4:13:38 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Qvack!

Yes. I know there are some nut jobs out there that think that fathering a child at 70+ is a good thing. But...it isn't. I was querying this group (of nut jobs) to see how many of *them* wanted to be a father at 57.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2209
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 4:15:14 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Want to say something about the best actor I ever saw. He's been in many movies with actors everyone would say are among the best they ever saw. He always gets surrounded with great actors beacause of how great he is. This guy has dumbfounded me my whole life. I think the first time I saw him, or noticed him was when he played Boo Radley.

Lunatic.

Post #: 2210
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 5:10:12 AM   
wdolson

My father was 46 and my mother was 41 when I came along. It's more common now, but they went through hell raising a kid that late in life. My father started social security my first year in college.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2211
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 5:25:08 AM   
witpqs

A friend of mine's grandfather was born in 1863.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2212
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 6:31:38 AM   
wdolson

My family has generation stretched. All of my grand parents were born in the 19th century and I was born in the 60s. My mother's father's family is well documented back into the 1600s with more traces going back to the 1200s. Her grandfather was born in 1862.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2213
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 11:43:45 AM   
dave sindel

quote:

He is one of my favorites also. One of my favorite films of his is Secondhand Lions with Michael Caine.

Post #: 2214
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 1:11:34 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My father was 46 and my mother was 41 when I came along. It's more common now, but they went through hell raising a kid that late in life. My father started social security my first year in college.

Bill

We did this. Mom & I didn't burn the candle at both ends, we nuked that sucker But we also were able to get a bit ahead job wise, so we could provide better. Now the kids off to college, and ma & I are looking to hang it up in a few years.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2215
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 1:17:41 PM   
Chickenboy

There are real advantages either way, aren't there? I can see both sides of the argument: getting ahead in a career to provide better for the young 'uns versus having kids while you're relatively young and able to keep pace with the craziness better.

It gets more difficult when you've got 12+ years of college / residency in the mix before you can start really earning in your given profession. It's even *more* difficult when your wife is in exactly the same position. Trying to thread that needle and squeeze out those pups before mom's biological threshold gets crossed out is a challenge.

Things worked out OK for us, but it-having kids in today's world-is no laughing matter, dudes.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2216
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 2:03:36 PM   
btd64

quote:

Things worked out OK for us, but it-having kids in today's world-is no laughing matter, dudes.

You got that right. When my kids were young we had them hold onto us in stores. If they where not holding on, they were in the shopping cart. You just have to be very careful with your kids and do the best you can raising them....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2217
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 2:28:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

quote:

You got that right. When my kids were young we had them hold onto us in stores. If they where not holding on, they were in the shopping cart. You just have to be very careful with your kids and do the best you can raising them....GP

Abduction of kids is pretty rare, but the poison the druggies want to get into them are everywhere. That's my biggest fear for my grandkids.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 2218
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 2:31:44 PM   
rockmedic109

I was 47 when we adopted our first of two {my wife had three from a prior marriage}. Yeah, it was hard. But I also had the maturity to look beyond the obvious. Like when things started to go missing and our daughter admitted {quite innocently} that she took them. We knew what it was and our daughter confirmed it when she told us that if she had our "things" we wouldn't leave her because we'd be leaving our things behind. Not sure I would've been able to look beyond the obvious if I had been 20-nothing years old.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 2219
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 2:59:53 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
We knew what it was and our daughter confirmed it when she told us that if she had our "things" we wouldn't leave her because we'd be leaving our things behind.

Stuff like this gets to me, and is why I still work in Boy scouts long after my son moved on. 99 kids go their own way, do their own thing etc. But then that 1 comes along that for whatever reason needs a rock. Not to hold onto, but just to use as a reference. And that makes all the time spent worth it.

Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI