Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German Storch Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> German Storch Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German Storch Units - 5/16/2001 8:56:00 AM   
TheZel66

Can anyone tell me what Storch units were for Germany, and if and how they can be represented in SP WAW???

Post #: 1
- 5/16/2001 9:00:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

They were small recon planes that were used for general recon and artillery spotting behind the lines. They don't really have a place in the level of battles the game represents.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2001 7:35:00 PM   
TheZel66

Are you sure? From what I've read, It sounds like their a type of transport. Ref: "Invasion: The German Invasion of England - July 1940" auth. Kenneth Macksay ISBN 1-85367-065-0 Page 124 "Even as the final shots of Lydden Spout rang out, and the battle for the Citadel paused while both sides tried to think what to do next, the Feisler Storches were setting down daintily on fields well inland, attempting to deposit the hopeful parties of the Infantrie Regiment Grossdeutschland at points whence they could interrupt the movement of enemy reserves."

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2001 9:17:00 PM   
wtheus

The "Invasion of England" title might give you a clue that the action described isn't exactly historical. A Storch normally carried a pilot and one passenger, and you could cram two or three additional people in the cockpit I suppose in an emergency, but that would really change the flight characteristics of the aircraft.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2001 9:17:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

They would not be able to do it quickly 0 the Storch was comparable to the L-5 grasshopper - 2 man crew and maybe a small bag lunch... Here is a ppic an internet search turned up:

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 5
- 5/16/2001 9:50:00 PM   
TheZel66

Yes, the book is an "alternate history" account of what may have happened. I find it interesting because it provides enough detail to create some great SP WAW scenerios. The author was a former armor officer, and his account of the Royal navy is less than accurate. Obviously, so is knowledge of German Air Landing units??? Thanks to all for the info..

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 6
- 5/16/2001 10:05:00 PM   
Grumble

Storchs were used in Skorzeny's Op to get Mussolini out of Captivity at Grand Sasso (sp). Probably their most famous employment.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 7
- 5/17/2001 12:09:00 AM   
BlitzSS

Was this where they landed on a mountain fortress? With their short take off and landing capabilities they pulled off the impossible. I remember reading that they had a few lightly equipped engineers crammed into each Storch.

"Nuts"

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 8
- 5/17/2001 12:53:00 AM   
Major Ed

The German para's were in 2 or 3 gliders. After they rescued El Duce a Storch landed to take him out. Accounts state that Skorzeny was able to squeeze into the same plane and it was just barely able to fly out with a pilot and 2 passengers. Taking off from a high altitude like that you lose a lot of lift and carrying capacity.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 9
- 5/17/2001 1:12:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hello. I own Otto Skorzeny memories "Secret missions". In it he exlains the liberation of Mussolini in detail. He proposed to land in a prairy in the mountain, next to the Grand Sasso hotel. Luftwaffe officers said it was a crazy idea and estimated the casualties of the landing at 80% of the force. He insisted. Well, they mounted in 12 gliders. Skorzeny says it was an iron/rope tube with space for the pilot and 9 men (1 squad). Two collisioned in crater bombs in the airport. Another crashed in the landing. The rest conquered the Hotel and liberated Mussolini (In fact Skorzeny and 8 men surrendered the Italian garrison. A FJ batallion on trucks conquered the cable car station in the lowesr valley. To take Mussolini out of the Grand Sasso, the roads were not considered safe. Skorzeny requested storks (Storch) and one was sended. This was averiated and a second storch landed in the mountain. Skorzeny insisted he wanted to travel with the Duce. The pilot, captain Gerlach said that three men in an Storch was crazy and a suicide. Skorzeny agreed but said he needed to watch the Duce arriving safe. The journey was risky and wild (too much vibrations). They arrived to the airport were three He111 were waiting to transport Mussolini to Venetia. From there to Berlin. As said by the pilot (a veteran one), travel more than two man in a Storch, was equivalent to commit suicide. The only plane capable of landing in a hand span, like the storch, and to transport some men was a British plane that flighted special missions, transporting commandos and material to the occupied countries. Don't remember the name. Hope this helps.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 10
- 5/17/2001 1:35:00 AM   
G. K. Zhukov

The plane you mention is the Westland Lysander, comrade Mikimoto.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 11
- 5/17/2001 2:19:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Thanks, comrade Zhukov. ;)

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 12
- 5/17/2001 11:25:00 AM   
Stukadawg

I heard a story about Rommel's Storch going down in a sand storm. Any details? I was thinking about a "rescue Rommel" mission but the more I think about the more I think that might be better for a 1st person shooter type game. But that sounds silly too. Rommel : Who the hell are you? Hero : I'm Duke Nukem and I'm here to rescue you. Rommel (with Luger held to temple) : Ach.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> German Storch Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI