Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT:Historical question on IJN organisation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT:Historical question on IJN organisation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT:Historical question on IJN organisation - 2/10/2017 3:27:55 PM   
Hotei

DD Oshio as an example.

quote:

15 May-29 December:
Designated a "Special Duty Ship" while under repair in Japan.

14 July:
Desdiv 8 reassigned to "Special Reserve."

http://www.combinedfleet.com/oshio_t.htm

These are purely administrative assignments for ships in refit or otherwise out of the official chain of command?
Or is there something lost in translation here or some missions they would be assigned within the Naval Districts?
Guard Ship is a different role and these are something else I assume.
Post #: 1
RE: OT:Historical question on IJN organisation - 2/10/2017 6:24:33 PM   
Lokasenna

Could this have something to do with treaty limits? Don't know why a DD would be limited, but maybe?

I know at some point some of the IJN BBs were designated as training ships in order to (on paper) stay under the limits, and had to be reactivated. I thought.

(in reply to Hotei)
Post #: 2
RE: OT:Historical question on IJN organisation - 2/10/2017 6:37:20 PM   
Hotei

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Could this have something to do with treaty limits? Don't know why a DD would be limited, but maybe?

I know at some point some of the IJN BBs were designated as training ships in order to (on paper) stay under the limits, and had to be reactivated. I thought.

This happened during the war so I doubt the IJN was playing by any rules even less than they where during the time they where actually participants in the treaties.

I am guessing some administrative pool of ships of the higher command to be distributed where needed.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: OT:Historical question on IJN organisation - 2/10/2017 7:25:47 PM   
spence

Read the adjacent entries carefully. Pretty sure special reserve is the status of a ship undergoing repair/refitting during the period (May to Dec). Probably it was high and dry in drydock from July on. It got a new CO and then 9 days later got assigned to an active Desron and sailed to the Solomons for active service.

(in reply to Hotei)
Post #: 4
RE: OT:Historical question on IJN organisation - 2/10/2017 7:32:19 PM   
Hotei

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Read the adjacent entries carefully. Pretty sure special reserve is the status of a ship undergoing repair/refitting during the period (May to Dec). Probably it was high and dry in drydock from July on. It got a new CO and then 9 days later got assigned to an active Desron and sailed to the Solomons for active service.

Yes, special duty seems to be waiting for the refit, special reserve when it is under refit.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT:Historical question on IJN organisation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI