Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shannon versus Z

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> Shannon versus Z Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 8:53:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

On Feb. 4th, I started a NetPlay Global War game with Zorachus99.

I'm the Axis and here are the optional rules.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Post #: 1
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 8:56:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The next 7 posts are of the position after Setup.

Manchuria. The USSR is threatening. Japan is only marginally frightened.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 8:56:25 PM   
Orm

I am lucky. First row tickets.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:00:38 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Northern China.

The CC 7-3 was encroaching in Japanese held hexes, so a couple of units are placed in the north to discourage it.

The HQ and others in Manchuria are heading south.

Chengchow is the obvious target here

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 2/6/2017 9:02:26 PM >

Steve

Post #: 4
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:06:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Southern China.

The Chinese have Canton encircled. This screen shot is after the Japanese have made their 2 naval moves, bringing over 3 land units to Canton and Shanghai.

Because the Chinese have no bombers or artillery, ground strikes are not a threat. Hence the OOS units will retain their face value )unless I am dumb enough to move them.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 5
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:09:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Northern Africa.

The Italians setup with threats to Tunisia, so that's why the French occupied Tunis (I guess). The Italians could go east through Egypt but that would mean first declaring war on the Commonwealth.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 6
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:12:52 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Italy.

Clearly the Italians are threatening war with France, and France has taken that threat seriously with 5 land units defending the Alps. All the Italian naval units are in La Spezia, except for the scattered convoys. In this screen shot the Italians have already moved the Nav into the Italian Coast sea area.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 7
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:14:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Britain.

Under the visible air units are a couple more 3 range fighters.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 8
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:22:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Germany.

This screenshot is after the Poles have set up.

In the west, both sides have left gaps in their lines for reserve units.

I created 2 overrun capable stacks (18 combat factors and 15 combat factors) just in case Z left something juicy in a clear hex.

Z thought that the corps in Danzig would put my units in Eastern Prussia OOS. But the von Leeb HQ can trace to Memel and then overseas to Kiel (for example). I had made sure of this before leaving Konigsberg empty.

Somewhat unusual for me was leaving von Bock in the west. I was guessing that I could take out Poland in the first turn without needing him to help.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 9
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/6/2017 9:26:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Scrapped Pool.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 10
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 1:45:30 AM   
Courtenay

I am very impressed by the way you can show multiple flyouts. How much work is that?

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 11
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 4:51:38 AM   
Mayhemizer_slith

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 12
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 9:56:22 AM   
peskpesk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Germany.

This screenshot is after the Poles have set up.

In the west, both sides have left gaps in their lines for reserve units.

I created 2 overrun capable stacks (18 combat factors and 15 combat factors) just in case Z left something juicy in a clear hex.

Z thought that the corps in Danzig would put my units in Eastern Prussia OOS. But the von Leeb HQ can trace to Memel and then overseas to Kiel (for example). I had made sure of this before leaving Konigsberg empty.

Somewhat unusual for me was leaving von Bock in the west. I was guessing that I could take out Poland in the first turn without needing him to help.

Hmm, this Polish setup has flaws. Both factory cites can be attack from at least 3 hexes during the surpries impulse. No rivers and Tac x2. Shannon will crush the defenders.

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

Post #: 13
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 4:00:49 PM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

Hmm, this Polish setup has flaws.

With the commitment the Germans have to taking out Poland, there is no set up the Pols could come up with to save themselves in any way...other than maybe the worst S/O weather ever and a quick turn end. The "flaw" in the set up is to not get out the HQ and INF div (useful because not playing with unlimited breakdown) for CW later use.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 14
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 6:18:30 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

I am very impressed by the way you can show multiple flyouts. How much work is that?

A lot. My screen capture program (recently upgraded) requires me to place the flyout at the top of the screen so I can mouse out of MWIF into the screen capture program and take the screenshot while the flyout is still showing. Then the cut and paste begins. I've got the hang of it now, so it is just a little tedious.

Maybe I'll figure out how to use the new version of my screen capture program better someday.

Steve

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 15
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 6:21:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The Polish setup with the corps in Danzig restricts unit movement for the Germans. So getting units in 6 hexes attacking Lodz and Warsaw wasn't possible.

Steve

Post #: 16
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 6:25:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

The Polish setup with the corps in Danzig restricts unit movement for the Germans. So getting units in 6 hexes attacking Lodz and Warsaw wasn't possible.

Just attacking one of them from three hexes would be nice.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 17
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 6:55:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the attack on Chengchow. It succeeded with no losses or disorganizations for Japan.

Note that I used the tactical air for 5 more points. The Chinese fighter was too far away to interfere. One of the tactical points was from a Nav in Formosa.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 2/7/2017 7:14:26 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 18
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 7:05:58 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are the attacks in Poland. Both Lodz and Warsaw were ground struck with 5 and 3 tactical factors. That meant each unit in those hexes had to pass a 5, 5, 3, 3 ground strikes to not become disorganized. Only the division met that criterion. That was the expected/average outcome. The bombers headed west as far as they could get.

The corps in Danzig was troublesome. I had to leave some land units behind to keep Konigsberg and the air units from being overrun. The other land moves were pretty obvious. For the attack on Lodz, all available remaining bombers participated (except for the Nav air). The Polish air force is not a factor here, although I had set up a fighter to deal with the bomber if necessary.

Both these attacks succeeded without any loss or disorganization to the Germans.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 19
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 7:08:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

About all these screenshots, I took them after the NetPlay session ended, using the Review button on the opening screen.

The only thing I have to be careful about is to make a manual save when necessary to avoid having the automatic saves overwrite the previous Axis/Allied impulse (2 impulses back).

Steve

Post #: 20
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 7:50:43 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

quote:

Hmm, this Polish setup has flaws.

With the commitment the Germans have to taking out Poland, there is no set up the Pols could come up with to save themselves in any way...other than maybe the worst S/O weather ever and a quick turn end. The "flaw" in the set up is to not get out the HQ and INF div (useful because not playing with unlimited breakdown) for CW later use.

I disagree. What the Poles can gain is time. It is possible for the Poles to set up so there is no decent attack on Lodz or Warsaw the first impulse. Thus it will take at least three Axis impulses to take Poland. I expect Poland to fall, but I can hope for bad weather, and at the least have gained one impulse where Axis troops aren't heading west.

The key commodity in this game is time. The side that is defending wants to use up as much of it as possible.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 21
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/7/2017 8:52:03 PM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

The key commodity in this game is time. The side that is defending wants to use up as much of it as possible.

I completely agree with this, but is one extra impulse worth an HQ and an INF div (more valuable because not playing with unlimited breakdown) for the CW's future use?

With this kind of German commitment vs Poland, Germany wont be doing much vs the west this turn anyway, then if N/D and J/F are normal not much then either. Germany will be busy railing and moving units (taking land impulses when Germany would rather take combined or naval in the bad weather turns) for some time after the Pols fall, and spending oil unnecessarily as well.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Post #: 22
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/8/2017 12:34:47 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

quote:

I completely agree with this, but is one extra impulse worth an HQ and an INF div (more valuable because not playing with unlimited breakdown) for the CW's future use?

With this kind of German commitment vs Poland, Germany wont be doing much vs the west this turn anyway, then if N/D and J/F are normal not much then either. Germany will be busy railing and moving units (taking land impulses when Germany would rather take combined or naval in the bad weather turns) for some time after the Pols fall, and spending oil unnecessarily as well.

I agree with Jagdtiger14. Now, if the Germans did put a lot of units on the Westfront, than it would be a total different ballgame.
The HQ and the INF division are valuable units for the CW to get and it's no use to have them killed in Poland if the chance of survival of the first turn with Poland is so low as with this setup...

Peter

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 23
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/9/2017 7:02:05 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am learning that I shouldn't post screenshots until the action has moved on - lest the commentary from readers influences the game. In that sense, this should be a true After Action Report.

So for this installment, I am omitting the British and the French, since there are still decisions to be made and outcomes to see.

I am also playing in a second Global War game (as the Allies) so I am running into personal time constraints playing the two games and fixing NetPlay bugs. I have fixed one so far but have 4 more that need my attention.

----

This attack on Warsaw succeeded with Germany losing the 6-4 and disorganizing half of the remaining units. The engineer is still organized - his job is to go to Lodz and repair the factory.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 2/9/2017 7:07:20 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 24
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/9/2017 7:06:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The second land combat in the 3rd impulse. This also succeeded with the Japanese taking no losses and both Chinese units destroyed.

Lest you start to feel sorry for the Allied player about the die rolls, the weather roll for the 5th impulse was a 10 so there is Storm everywhere on the planet.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 25
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/10/2017 1:43:18 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

I am learning that I shouldn't post screenshots until the action has moved on - lest the commentary from readers influences the game. In that sense, this should be a true After Action Report.

I approve of this sentiment. I'm certain there will be many 'mistakes' to review, but with this game, there are many different operational and strategic philosophies that differentiate opponents.

I hope you all enjoy the show.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 26
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/10/2017 3:53:46 PM   
Grotius

I'm certainly enjoying the show. And learning. I've beta-tested MWIF off and on for a decade, but I'm still a newb, having never played the boardgame.

Which leads to my question: how exactly would Poland get the INF and HQ out to the CW? And why are only these two Polish units eligible to leave?

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 27
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/10/2017 5:22:40 PM   
AllenK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I'm certainly enjoying the show. And learning. I've beta-tested MWIF off and on for a decade, but I'm still a newb, having never played the boardgame.

Which leads to my question: how exactly would Poland get the INF and HQ out to the CW? And why are only these two Polish units eligible to leave?

The HQ and INF Div need to be set up in east Poland in such a way they can't be easily attacked without a significant diversion from the main attacks on Warsaw and Lodz. When USSR rolls into east Poland, the HQ and INF Div are interned until USSR is at war with Germany. At this point, they become available to the CW force pool.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 28
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/10/2017 7:09:30 PM   
Grotius

Cool. Thanks!

Why just those two units? Could the whole Polish army run into the USSR?

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 29
RE: Shannon versus Z - 2/11/2017 1:20:50 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Cool. Thanks!

Why just those two units? Could the whole Polish army run into the USSR?

Yes it could, but the rest of the Polish army is worse than what the CW already has in its force pool, but the CW (and everyone else) is short of both HQs and INF divisions.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> Shannon versus Z Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI