Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

8 die hards would be required.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> 8 die hards would be required. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8 die hards would be required. - 2/15/2017 4:51:22 PM   
Timmeh

I would expect real life would make it necessary to structure the game to bring in new players if required. Procedures would need to be written up. In the 'wouldn't it be spectacular if you could have world... '

1 Overall commander per side that commands their sides air force and issues orders to each of his 3 subordinates who only control the troops under their command. Each "General" in turn would play their sector handing the turn off to the "Commander" to finish.

Pie in the sky, maybe? Monumental to schedule, indeed. But it would be a blast reading the AAR if the right folks got together in the spirit of the game and tried to compete/cooperate on this scale.

Can you imagine Pelton trying to explain to his subordinates it's their fault they're not in Kharkov yet! err wait, that might be a bad example to sell this...but you get the idea.

< Message edited by Timmeh -- 2/15/2017 4:55:57 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/15/2017 5:58:07 PM   
Hortlund

Sounds fun, count me in

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Timmeh)
Post #: 2
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/15/2017 6:08:39 PM   
Telemecus

Interesting - could I throw my hat in.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 3
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/15/2017 6:56:50 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Very interesting idea. I have no real play experience, but this makes me a perfect early war soviet commander. I could join in around 3 weeks.

Some thoughts:
Soviets&Axis have each have 1 supreme commander.
Axis: 1 commander per Army group=3 players
Soviet: 3-4 players with some fronts each.

Procedure:
P1) The supreme commander opens.
P2) The supreme commander manages reinforcements, sets the APs and airforce share for each army group.
P3) The supreme commander gives short! orders to the Army Group/Front leaders.
P4) The front leaders subsequently execute their orders.
P5) The last AG/Front leader sends the turn back to the supreme commander.
P6) The supreme commander makes screenshots for the AAR, checks how things worked and sends the turn to the other team.

Communication:
C1) The supreme commander gives short orders to every front commander. Like: Hold the current line/Fall back to the Dnepr/Rush for the industry in Charkov. But no details like "move 1st Pz. div to city/hex xyz, bomb this hex etc. No specific playtips too!
C2) The AG/Front commander can reply back. Like asking for a HQ buildup, more airforce, units etc.
C3) The AG/Front commander can communicate with other AG/Front commanders, but very limited.

Communication limits: One should consider a limit. Like 500 characters for C1, 400 for C2, and 200 for C3 to mirror "Auftragstaktik" (order tactics) and cooperation and C&C problems.

Commander pool: The commanders can and will be cycled. The supreme commander can put his "Zhukov" to the critical spots or exchange players between the AG/Front and the Commanders reserve.

Dismissal: The AG/Front leaders are free to move their subordinate units at will, so they can ignore orders if they wish to do so. If they fail to accomplish the goals or if the show signs of insubordination, the supreme commander is free to dismiss them and give the command to one of the reserve players (so many people can participate).

Map information: The supreme commander can view, but not move any unit and all details. The AG/Front commander can view the entire map, but must only watch the detail windows of their own AG/Front.

Cooperation: In some cases one AG/Front commander is allowed to command units from the other AG/Front, like for a joint attack. But this must be limited and their need to be rules.

The game requires gentlemenlike behaviour of all participants. Roleplay&fun, not winning, must be the Nr. 1 priority.

What do you think???

(It looks like I volunteered with this post to write the rulebook for this match )

Off-topic: "Can you imagine Pelton trying to explain to his subordinates it's their fault they're not in Kharkov yet! err wait, that might be a bad example to sell this...but you get the idea."
A typical Pelton rant in april-may 1945 would generate a very realistic/historic feeling for his subordinates.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/15/2017 7:13:43 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 4
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/15/2017 8:01:09 PM   
charlie0311

Hi guys,

I keep asking for gentlemen and then get reloaders and "gamey" types. Not a very lucky guy I guess.

Oh well, hmmm, what would happen if the supreme commander can do 90mp hqbu ( one hqbu gets 90mps over two consecutive turns ) ?? Can't show the subordinates how??

Maybe one of Stravka subordinates has a better plan for the ap budget, can the peons conspire and perform a coup?

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 5
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/15/2017 8:10:30 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

The idea is that the supreme commander does not give playtips, right. If the subordinates suck, they can be replaced or of course (or cycled to a secondary front). 90 MP buildup is normal IMO, because you can build-up a unit up to 200% fuel if the conditions are right. And then add airdrops.
Coups and conspiracies: To do a coup, you need to put 6 NKWD regiments around the Stavka HQ. Not easy if they disband all the time :D

IMO the best is to have good players for every supreme command, good-intermediate players for Axis and new-intermediate players for soviet union, so you model the soviet early war learning curve.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/15/2017 8:12:45 PM >

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 6
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/16/2017 1:08:12 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

I will be offline for a week. I hope enough players are interested to start this. Maybe you should open a new thread on the WitE main Page, it is a bit hidden here.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/16/2017 1:09:29 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/16/2017 1:41:55 PM   
Telemecus

If there are n't enough to begin with I would say go ahead with some doubling up on roles rather than not going ahead at all. Particularly with an AAR with a prominent standing invite more would likely join then.

Post #: 8
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/16/2017 1:44:28 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

I am ok with it too
As said, in 3 weeks i am on the start.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 9
RE: 8 die hards would be required. - 2/16/2017 4:04:25 PM   
wktr8222

I would like to join this game.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> 8 die hards would be required. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI