Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

stalingrad:first scen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> stalingrad:first scen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
stalingrad:first scen - 5/16/2001 10:39:00 PM   
nimu

I just began the stalingrad campaign.The first scen is very enjoyable,but it's too short!!!!!I'd like to know if somebody had won it(i mean decisive victory!).I had to be very carefull in advancing because of those strong soviet flank attacks and because of some 45 atg hidden in the woods.I had a draw because i lost too much time engaging the northern and southern russian tank attacks,but what could i do?????A lot of flags to gain for a very short time! BTW:the campaign is just perfect!!!!!! bye

"out of ammo........God save the King"
Post #: 1
- 5/17/2001 1:42:00 AM   
A_B

Hey, don't give away the secrets! :) I got a marginal victory, but didn't loose any vehicles and only a few troops. I got all the V.objectives except the northern most in the woods. I completely bypassed the two northern sections of woods. Sent all forces south and through the valley and on towards the village. My entire force ran into the russian counter attack, and tore them up rather quickly (i had a Bat. of stugs). The village fell reasonably quickly. the only problem was that i didn't have enough forces to capture the two northern woods from the rear. I got a draw on the second battle, a decisive on battle 3 and 5. Don't remember 4, but had a hard time of it.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 2
- 5/17/2001 4:36:00 AM   
nimu

Oh God!!!Nice surprising tactic!!!I just made up a normal deployment:i deployed all my forces in front of the two northern woods and got them easy,but then i got stuck by the two counter attacks!In the 2nd i had a decisive victory,in the third a very bloody draw and i didn't get enough points to rebuild my destroyed two platoons of pzIV.Now in the 4th scen i'm having veryvery big problems!!!!It's a tough,very tough campaign!! Ley me know how u proceed thanks ciao

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 3
- 5/17/2001 5:56:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

You did a great job on this.. Keep me posted on other battles as you go!

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 4
- 5/17/2001 6:17:00 AM   
A_B

This is a great campaign. If you get behind on losses (more than you can rebuild), you could be in a loosing position in a hurry. I imagine that is the point though. I'd advise anyone playing to be very conservative with your losses where you can afford to be. I checked the campaign out in the campaign editor, to see where i HAD to win, and where i could afford a draw (or marginal loss, heaven forbid :) ) Bottom line, don't take losses you can't afford to replace. Maybe the germans should have taken this to heart themselves back in '42. Also, we shouldn't give too many surprises away here on forum. It'll take away the fun for people that havne't played yet. ;)

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 5
- 5/17/2001 9:09:00 AM   
Rommel22

I suck!!! I suck really, really BAD!!! I got a draw on the first scenario and the second scenario. I am playing the third. I haven't lost any vehicles only damgaed but I re-paired them. I guess it's because I am very cautious, I take my time. I am always afraid of those 45mm hidden in the trees and forests, those are annyong bunch. Sometimes not doing damage but sure stalling an attack. I never actually reached the village in the first scenario, but captured all the Forests. In the second scenario I went completly around the village via the North. But I moved to slowly, I was expecting a suprise or something, so I took my time. By the time I reached the villaged from the rear, the scenario ended, I was pissed!!! :mad: I had troops assaulting the village from the south via the wheat field into the church, but this went slowly. Even though I had 4x75mm and 2 PZ Lars and the bomber support the Russians were stubborn. I enetered the church, but it was costly. I only lost 2 HT and one Pz-Iv (f2). But I got a draw, DAMN it, not enough time. I guess the first scenario kept me TOO cautious through the second waiting for suprises. Good campagn so far. ------------------------ My tactis so far are: HUGE reserves, I sent usually 1 tank forward for support and maybe 2 HT as scouts. This way I can find the weakest spot as I send more thant one scouting party in more than one direction. Basicly I scout once I make contact I dis-embark my troops (the scouts) and send them ahead to check out the possitions further. To see which spot is the weakest. But this takes time, like I explained I ran out of time. Once I find what I believe to be the weak spot. I send all the rest of my force (the HUGE reserve) to assault that possition. Again (as mentioned before) by the time my troops are attacking and all dis-embarked scenarios ends. Any suggestion on different tactics??? Anyone alse heve suggestions on better tactics so I DON'T run out of time? Thanx for listening and thanx for the help in advance!

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern !" (Boot'em, don´t spatter'em)- Heinz Guderian Rommel22's Kampfgruppe: www.rommel22skg.freeservers.com

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 6
- 5/17/2001 10:41:00 AM   
lnp4668

Well, so far I got marginal victory on the first and second, decisive victory on the third (which only gave me enough point to repair my units :mad: ) I am a believer in reconaissance in forces, sending the stugs with the recon riders ahead since they are most likely to survive a hidden attack. I then dismounted the recon to give smoke cover and scout out the hidden gun. If press for time, I use the auxillaries as cannon folder and rush them ahead. Callous, but can't afford to lose any of my core forces.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 7
- 5/17/2001 11:52:00 AM   
A_B

Inp4668 tactics and mine are very similar (i'm starting to think he's a genius :) ) My only suggestion would be to rush when you can, to give yourself time to move slow when you really need it, and let the auxilleries absorb any necessary losses.

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 8
- 5/17/2001 12:19:00 PM   
MwR

I also get marginal victory, only started to land across the river on the last round, lost a good number of panzers because I push'em faster than the infantry could provide cover, mines and ambush. The mortar is really a pain, and you need to move the mortar team forward to provide fire support once you reach the river side. Make good use of the engineers and limit the corridoor of entry to just 2 and allow infantry to close protect the panzers should do, I think.

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Tse-Tung

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 9
- 5/17/2001 2:55:00 PM   
nimu

in the first scen i didn't lost time with a slow,footy reconaissance:i pushed forward all those aux motorised units provided,but that wasn't enough!the 2nd scen got a decisive victory by attacking the village both reom north and south at the same time and by using 2 wurferhammers as arty(only 1 flame rocket,but sooooo gggoooooooodddd!!!!!) the 4th(defending one right?)i got a marginal victory,because i lost some 2 flags behind me because those reds made a very smart flank-hidden movement on the noeth side,coming beyond my front lines!The fifth:another disaster:lost 10 of my 12 panzer IV:i wasn't considering a lot the 37 mm AA as a good AT gun,but the results proved i was wrong.I gained a marginal victory only sacrifing most of my core force.Now on the Hill(7th scen) my adventure in this campaign is ending:too difficult and not enough artillery to open a passage for my guys(only 3 75 howitzer and one wurferhammer):Is that good to have one of those flame rocket louncher??what kind of arty do u suggest? REALLY AMAZING CAMPAIGN anyway:it's so......real,it seems to be there trough those stalingrad ruins......

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 10
- 5/17/2001 8:14:00 PM   
lnp4668

Thanks A_B, you knows how great mind thinks alike ;) When I played a user design campaign, I save after the last battle then go directly to the next battle before purchasing auxillaries to scope out the terrain and visibility then reload the game to purchase auxillaries. I am not sure if real life commander have this luxury, but I thinks that I should at least knows the terrain I am going to fight in.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 11
- 5/17/2001 9:15:00 PM   
nimu

That's cheeting,isn't it??But i understand u:it's frustrating never to know where it's gonna be the nexy match and if u'll need mines and atgs for a defending battle or infantry and stugs for an assault!! BTW i got the main hill with something like 200 casualities!!!Now i'm stuck in the railroad station scen.Most of my units are retreating in front of the strong artillary of the soviets.I'm sure i'm gonna lose here.Better to try it again with a flanks tactic.

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 12
- 5/18/2001 12:04:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Urquhart: [QB]That's cheeting,isn't it??But i understand u:it's frustrating never to know where it's gonna be the nexy match and if u'll need mines and atgs for a defending battle or infantry and stugs for an assault!! QB]
I agree with you there. However, it is hard to tell from the purchase screen the lay of the land as well the location of the deployment line. I think that a local commander should at least know the general lay of the land unless it is a meeting engagement with two forces stumble on to each other.

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 13
- 5/18/2001 6:07:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

FYI: The WWII standard German Tactic used to clear a small village was to send in Infantry and Stugs directly into the Village while Panzers moved around the village, providing fire support into the village. That was the idea. It was very effective out on the Steppes. Great Job on the Campaign! Please be aware that some of the later battles will be on maps where you will either set up on the south (bottom) or north (top) end of maps. If you do not do this and try to play from where the units appear first - there is terrain that'll box them in. Has anyone made it to the Rumanian Retreat Battle yet? :D

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> stalingrad:first scen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI