Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 2/23/2017 2:51:08 PM   
durangokid

I came across this in a book I'm reading and to say I thought it a little odd, is an understatement.

In 1945, nuclear bombed Nagasaki residents welcomed the first Americans with gifts (a doll in a glass case) given to the head of a team investigating radiation effects.

Later, the residents joined U.S. military personnel in sponsoring a "Miss Atomic Bomb" beauty contest.

Words fail me.

This is a quote from a Pulitzer prize winning book : Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II
by John W. Dower :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/273197.Embracing_Defeat?from_search=true
Post #: 1
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 2/23/2017 3:25:39 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: durangokid

I came across this in a book I'm reading and to say I thought it a little odd, is an understatement.

In 1945, nuclear bombed Nagasaki residents welcomed the first Americans with gifts (a doll in a glass case) given to the head of a team investigating radiation effects.

Later, the residents joined U.S. military personnel in sponsoring a "Miss Atomic Bomb" beauty contest.

Words fail me.

This is a quote from a Pulitzer prize winning book : Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II
by John W. Dower :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/273197.Embracing_Defeat?from_search=true

One reason among others...The U.S. was the major resource to help Japan re-build...it's called survival.

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 2
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 2/24/2017 10:36:34 PM   
Neilster

It's also a Japanese cultural thing. The Allies had proven themselves to be militarily superior and hence worthy of respect. The Japanese just adapted to the new normal.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 3
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 2/24/2017 10:49:08 PM   
IslandInland

This is a great book that I haven't read (yet) about the subject (Hiroshima not Nagasaki):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiroshima-John-Hersey-ebook/dp/B00ZYY98L4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487980089&sr=1-1&keywords=john+Hershey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima_(book)

< Message edited by XXXCorps -- 2/24/2017 10:50:08 PM >

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 4
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 2/25/2017 11:19:53 AM   
durangokid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

It's also a Japanese cultural thing. The Allies had proven themselves to be militarily superior and hence worthy of respect. The Japanese just adapted to the new normal.

Cheers, Neilster

I was quite surprised, on reading the book on Japan, how quickly the culture adapted from an authoritarian state to a benign occupation and the introduction of democracy.

The occupation and the national attitudes of countries, both in Japan and Europe in WWII is quite a complex subject. However, it seems to have been beautifully summarised :

“If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.” - Theodore Roosevelt

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 5
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 6/20/2017 11:36:36 AM   
matttanner

Prime Minister Hayato Ikeda was mostly responsible for the economic miracle of post-war Japan. His heavy industrialization combined with the work ethic of Japanese people is truly a wonder of what a nation can accomplish. By the 1960's, Japan became the second most powerful economy in the world.. and we're talking about the only country to be nuked..

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 6
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 6/20/2017 2:48:55 PM   
wesy

To paraphrase from any number of Cowboy/Western themed movies..."There's a new Shogun in town"

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to matttanner)
Post #: 7
RE: Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb - 6/20/2017 3:16:25 PM   
wesy

My parents (both of whom have passed) lived in Kyushu (Kitakyushu/Fukuoka)during the war. My mom told me stories of peeking out of the bomb shelter (during a B29 raid) and seeing the napalm fires dropping about and told everyone in the shelter to run for it...it took her a day to get home running from the fire and crossing train trestle bridges on foot - at the age of 13. My dad also experienced being strafed by .50s from Hellcats (he described the sound of ricocheting .50 calibre rounds in the bamboo forest).

Then I asked my mom, "what was your reaction to the end of the war?" - she replied as maybe a 13 yr old would - "I was happy I didn't have turn the lights out at night!" She later worked for the US military in Japan as a typist. My dad was an American citizen and he got the great reward of being drafted by the US Army for the Korean War. On the other hand, he was lucky, his brother (my uncle) who was in the IJA, surrendered to the Soviets in Manchuria and spent three years in a labor camp near Lake Baikal and mined coal. He returned to the US and got drafted into the US Air Force for the Korean War.

The Korean War is the spark that drove Japan's post-war economic growth. They were able to leverage war time technologies/industries (radios, optics, cameras etc.). Many of the zaibatsu companies continued to exist (large industrial conglomerates) post-war (Keiretsu) and still continue to this day in Japan/world.

Nakajima the company that brought you the Ki-84 and many other aircraft = Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries)
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Toyoda (Toyota)
Matsushita (Panasonic)
Nikon (produced optics/lenses during the war)

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Nagasaki 1945 - after the bomb Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI