Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 8:34:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The Mountain Chickadee is exactly like the ones we see here. The range shown for them should extend further east.

You're surrounded by flat farmland, but if they have those white eyebrows there's no doubt. Just to be sure, you're not seeing these are you?

I know a sparrow or two - no mixing them up with a chickadee. Note that I said I saw them mostly in the boreal forest, the edge of which is about forty miles from here. It extends all the way to the mountains and would be a very good environment for the mountain chickadee. Mixed evergreen and deciduous trees. Thick cover from predator birds. Loads of insects in summer, frozen berries in winter.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2461
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 8:51:16 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Well...

1. Web-footed booby
2. Yellow-breasted chat
3. Yellow-rumped warbler (called "butter-butts" by birdwatchers)
4. Tufted titmouse

I had a Tufted titmouse in the neighborhood for all of one day. Those little bitty birds are flipping loud. It went from tree to tree singing his heart out looking for a mate and found none. Next day, gone.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2462
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 11:32:03 PM   
MakeeLearn

Virginia bluebells are breaking ground. Violets and some dandelion. Should have a bumper crop of stinging nettle.

Ever eat the flowers of redbuds? They have a peanut flavor.

Post #: 2463
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 11:37:15 PM   
Canoerebel

Oh, yeah. Redbud (Cercis canadensis) is a member of the legume family. The flowers do have a distinct nutty flavor. Ten days ago, I hiked with a man who said he tried the succulent new seed pods one time. He didn't like them. Redbud is sometimes called Judas Tree, the legend being that a Eurasian species of the tree was the one used by Judas to hang himself. Hence, the story goes, the branches grow crooked and the tree is generally small.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/27/2017 11:38:32 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2464
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 11:59:36 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Oh, yeah. Redbud (Cercis canadensis) is a member of the legume family. The flowers do have a distinct nutty flavor. Ten days ago, I hiked with a man who said he tried the succulent new seed pods one time. He didn't like them. Redbud is sometimes called Judas Tree, the legend being that a Eurasian species of the tree was the one used by Judas to hang himself. Hence, the story goes, the branches grow crooked and the tree is generally small.

People use to fritter them. Use to also dip them in egg white and sugar, back when they put real flowers on cakes.

ive been rereading Porcher's book. He was a unknown hero of the Confederacy and as vital as any soldier.

You missed my question in your AAR, so I will catch you here, What version are y'all playing? I was wanting to know outside of problems you were having. A mod of John3 based on official or unofficial?

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/28/2017 2:41:29 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2465
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:01:24 AM   
Canoerebel

We're playing Reluctant Admiral 5.6 or something like that. That's all I know. Well, I do know it has stacking limits (a magnificent addition to the game) and enhanced AA (ditto).

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2466
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:11:53 AM   
MakeeLearn

From Porcher:

Cercis canadensis, L. Redbud ; Judas-tree. Swamps, vicinity of Charleston ; collected in St. John's. Fl. March. Shec. Flora Carol. 380. "The wood is of great value for mechanical purposes, as it polishes exceedingly well, and is admirably veined with black and green."

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2467
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:31:46 AM   
geofflambert

I'm trying to grow a red buckeye tree. It's a relative of chestnut trees but the fruit is unpalatable to humans, probably gorns as well, though squirrels apparently love them and I got squirrels. I planted it because it supposedly is a favorite of hummingbirds. I ordered it as a bare root tree with the roots wrapped in damp paper towels. The bud on the top of the trunk never showed any life so I pruned it off. A new one has appeared near the top and I have great hopes for it. But I would recommend never buying bare root trees, get them with the root ball in soil and burlap.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2468
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:37:39 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn
I was wanting to know outside of the rearming problems you were having.

Yeah, that's interesting. Tell us more about the rearming problems you were having outside of your AAR, Canoerebel.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2469
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:44:14 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

I'm trying to grow a red buckeye tree. It's a relative of chestnut trees but the fruit is unpalatable to humans, probably gorns as well, though squirrels apparently love them and I got squirrels. I planted it because it supposedly is a favorite of hummingbirds. I ordered it as a bare root tree with the roots wrapped in damp paper towels. The bud on the top of the trunk never showed any life so I pruned it off. A new one has appeared near the top and I have great hopes for it. But I would recommend never buying bare root trees, get them with the root ball in soil and burlap.

Ive got several Chinese chestnuts planted. there are several places in the US that have Chinese/American chestnuts planted in effort to bring back the American chestnut. I remember some are at Dollywood.

I planted 2 dawn redwood trees at the same time. They arrived bare root and doing great. Being one of the oldest species I imagine they are very hardy.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/28/2017 1:13:57 AM >

Post #: 2470
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:47:47 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I was wanting to know outside of the rearming problems you were having.

Yeah, that's interesting. Tell us more about the problems you were having outside of your AAR, Canoerebel.

OPPPs sorry about that. It was a minor, misunderstanding problem. It may even be in the Japanese Sigintel

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/28/2017 2:51:48 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2471
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 12:58:28 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

OPPPs sorry about that. It was a minor, misunderstanding problem. It may even be in the Japanese Sigintel

A misunderstanding? About what aspect of rearmament?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2472
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:00:22 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

We're playing Reluctant Admiral 5.6 or something like that. That's all I know. Well, I do know it has stacking limits (a magnificent addition to the game) and enhanced AA (ditto).

Is it the stacking limits that have caused you problems with rearmament? Perhaps that's related to base size?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2473
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:06:00 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

A misunderstanding? About what aspect of rearmament?

Just a minor SNAFU......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2474
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:12:06 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

Geoff, this is completely wrong. Buckeye isn't related to chestnut. True buckeye is in the genus Aesculus while chestnut is in the genus Castanea (and the families are different also).

There is a non-native species of buckeye called horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) that is not related to the chestnut but it is a type of buckeye (if I remember correctly).

Post #: 2475
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:15:28 AM   
geofflambert

I'm on trees now. Across the street in someone's back yard there once were three Lombardy Poplars in a row. They were so beautiful. Some woman bought the place and let honeysuckle vines strangle the life out of those trees and then for a few years they were just corpses. Eventually cut down. They were just perfect for the location but a knuckle dragger didn't appreciate them.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2476
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:20:08 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

quote:

Ive got several Chinese chestnuts planted. there are several places in the US that have Chinese/American chestnuts planted in effort to bring back the American chestnut. I remember some are at Dollywood.

I planted 2 dawn redwood trees at the same time. They arrived bare root and doing great. Being one of the oldest species I imagine they are very hardy.

The American chestnut (Castanea dentate) is a magnificent tree that once comprised about 17% of the eastern American forest. The nuts are edible. The tree was nearly eradicated by a parasite fungus (Endothea parasitica) introduced into the United States at a New York botanical garden around 1904. The fungus is spread airborne. By the 1940s, essentially all American chestnuts had been killed. But the tree has a remarkable ability to re-sprout from it's root or lower trunk. It does so prolifically, but the sprouts are killed, in turn, by the fungus when they reach the size of about the thickness of a man's for-arm. Some of these sprouts are big enough to bear seeds.

Beginning some 30 years ago, scientists began crossbreading American chestnut with Chinese chenstnut (Castanea mollisima, if memory serves), which is resistant to the fungus. The hybrids have successfully incorporated the resistance at about 15/16ths American and 1/16th Chinese. These hybrids are being planted across the eastern US now.

Dawn redwood is a native of China and has the most lyrical scientific name ever: Metasequoia glyptostroboides. :)

P.S. I hold a BSFR (bachelors of science in forest resources) from the University of Georgia, 1983.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2477
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:22:51 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Geoff, this is completely wrong. Buckeye isn't related to chestnut. True buckeye is in the genus Aesculus while chestnut is in the genus Castanea (and the families are different also).

There is a non-native species of buckeye called horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) that is not related to the chestnut but it is a type of buckeye (if I remember correctly).

Not related? Tell me about Cedars. Any tree name popular out there has examples that could not be more unrelated, like dinosaurs and mammals. Quercus is pretty solid but I have books telling me that Red Buckeyes are a sort of Chestnut. These books do not, however, recommend roasting red buckeye nuts on an open fire.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2478
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:26:25 AM   
MakeeLearn

Red Buckeyes have been hybridized with horse chestnuts

Post #: 2479
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:27:28 AM   
Canoerebel

Buckeye isn't related to chestnut, though one variety of buckeye (horse chestnut) does bear that confusing name. Buckeye is in the family Sapindacea. Chestnut is in the family Fagaceae (making it a relative of the oak and the beech). If you have a book that says buckeye and chestnut are related, throw it away.

Buckeyes are not edible and horse chestnuts (again, a type of buckeye) are poisonous. Red buckeye is a very small tree with gorgeous displays of red flowers in April. Yellow buckeye is a massive tree of the eastern montane forests (and the inspiration for the Ohio Buckeyes).

Post #: 2480
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:28:21 AM   
geofflambert

I'm sure you're right but taxonomy allows us to call one tree a "bald" cypress and then there's these other trees we also call cypresses which are not cousins even 1,000 times removed. I love those bald cypresses by the way.

Post #: 2481
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:29:16 AM   
Canoerebel

That is what lawyers refer to as nonresponsive.

Post #: 2482
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:29:41 AM   
Flicker

I lost every tree in my yard larger than a dogwood to a tornado a few years ago. I planted (native) small trees / large shrubs like fringe tree, serviceberry, and crapemyrtle. I don't want to have a large tree squish my roof again. However, the crapemyrtles make me wish I had taken down the trees and planted them before, they're so pretty.

< Message edited by Flicker -- 2/28/2017 1:30:19 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2483
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:31:36 AM   
Canoerebel

"Cypress" and "cedar" are both used for a wide variety of unrelated trees, which can be very confusing.

For instance, the Atlas cedar of North Africa is unrelated to the southern red cedar of the eastern United States. Southern red cedar, in turn, is commonly as "juniper" and carries the botanical name Juniperus virginiana.

The bald cypress and the pond cypress of the eastern United States are related, but they are not related to the cypress of the Middle East.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2484
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:33:14 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flicker

I lost every tree in my yard larger than a dogwood to a tornado a few years ago. I planted (native) small trees / large shrubs like fringe tree, serviceberry, and crapemyrtle. I don't want to have a large tree squish my roof again. However, the crapemyrtles make me wish I had taken down the trees and planted them before, they're so pretty.

Crape myrtle (Lagerstroemi indica) is a native of India or Asia. It is a lovely ornamental planted in the USA.

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 2485
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:34:04 AM   
MakeeLearn

I have a straight up biology degree and have morphed into a seeker of esoteric naturalist/historical knowledge. Along with working wood by hand after having a EXPERIENCE with trees.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2486
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:35:41 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Buckeye isn't related to chestnut, though one variety of buckeye (horse chestnut) does bear that confusing name. Buckeye is in the family Sapindacea. Chestnut is in the family Fagaceae (making it a relative of the oak and the beech). If you have a book that says buckeye and chestnut are related, throw it away.

Buckeyes are not edible and horse chestnuts (again, a type of buckeye) are poisonous. Red buckeye is a very small tree with gorgeous displays of red flowers in April. Yellow buckeye is a massive tree of the eastern montane forests (and the inspiration for the Ohio Buckeyes).

"Red buckeye has hybridized with common horse-chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) in cultivation, the hybrid being named Aesculus × carnea, red horse-chestnut. The hybrid is a medium-sized tree to 45-55 feet tall, intermediate between the parent species in most respects, but inheriting the red flower color from A. pavia. It is a popular tree in large gardens and parks, most commonly the selected cultivar 'Briotii'. Hybrids of red buckeye with yellow buckeye (A. flava) have also been found, and named Aesculus × hybrida."

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2487
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:37:45 AM   
Canoerebel

To make this clear: horse chestnut is not a chestnut, it's a buckeye. So you're speaking of a buckeye x buckeye hybrid.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2488
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:37:49 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flicker

I hate to have to be nonresponsive to your post but sometimes it is just necessary. I'm hoping to plant a couple of Paw-Paw trees and a couple of Persimmon trees in my back yard someday. You have to plant them in pairs because they are either male or female, unlike the Red Buckeye. Also we are advised that planting (in both cases) a male of one cultivar and a female of another increases yield, and that is what I plan to do. None of these trees, including the Buckeye, get very large but they can produce sizable fruits, as big as grapefuits in some cases.

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 2489
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/28/2017 1:40:50 AM   
MakeeLearn

Staghorn Sumac is my latest obsession.

Still trying to find the plant-tree morphine of North America.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI