Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 4:01:32 PM   
operating

Turn 30

Erzurum

Two missions going on here: 1, To capture Mosul and 2, To cut off full supply to the Turk strong point west of Erzurum. I'm not sure if opnn is aware of the supply rule connected with capital cities, if he is not, he will find out fairly soon, then his main army here will be that much easier to break down in combat, plus his cost for repairs will go up. The job of the 2 armored cars by Aleppo is to chew up Turk owned hexes, not so much for combat..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/1/2017 4:12:38 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 211
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 4:23:44 PM   
operating

Turn 30

Basra

Sent a armored car on a mission to see if my opponent had abandoned or rather disbanded the SGs at Basra and Kuwait (obviously he did not). This unit is now out of supply and can not be replenished, so simply went on the attack, each time this unit attacks a city the city losses 1 PP towards it's next turn. Even though I will lose this unit through damage and attrition it will at least have accomplished something physical besides intel.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/1/2017 4:32:35 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 212
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 7:10:43 PM   
nehi

so it looks it works wierd

during moving phase u can see transport comin, then it dissapears, but when u select hex, u can see its there and its type

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 213
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 7:20:21 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: nehi

during moving phase u can see transport comin, then it dissapears, but when u select hex, u can see its there and its type

I'm clear on "how" the sea hex is selected, as opnn describes: "With a zeppelin"... He did not say fighters, he did not say bombers, he did say zeppelins. .

(in reply to nehi)
Post #: 214
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 7:33:59 PM   
nehi

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

quote:

I'm clear on "how" the sea hex is selected, as opnn describes: "With a zeppelin"... He did not say fighters, he did not say bombers, he did say zeppelins. .

pf, select hex by clicking on it, it looks free, but unit is there, when hex selected u can see on right side whats type of hex (open sea) on left side "no unit" or type of unit, tyro/sitskrieg just tried it

as i described, its visible when coming, in your turn there is no graphics on map, but when u select that hex, u see what kind of unit is there (as i said when we started this polemics), no other unit with LOS there, just empty antwerp

ive noticed it even before, in mp and ai games, i tought its just random bug, but it happens in such situation when empty city/port is "seeing" unit there

< Message edited by nehi -- 3/1/2017 7:37:25 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 215
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 7:39:45 PM   
operating

Turn 30

Sinai

It's a grind here, that's OK, it was slow going historically. The English balloon is depicted as bombing Aqaba, which may be inaccurate for it also was hitting Taku and Medina too. Have a unit in transport, destination unknown atm.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/1/2017 7:50:32 PM >

(in reply to nehi)
Post #: 216
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 7:54:19 PM   
operating

quote:

quote:

quote:

pf, select hex by clicking on it, it looks free, but unit is there, when hex selected u can see on right side whats type of hex (open sea) on left side "no unit" or type of unit, tyro/sitskrieg just tried it

as i described, its visible when coming, in your turn there is no graphics on map, but when u select that hex, u see what kind of unit is there (as i said when we started this polemics), no other unit with LOS there, just empty antwerp

ive noticed it even before, in mp and ai games, i tought its just random bug, but it happens in such situation when empty city/port is "seeing" unit there

The question I have: Was there a zeppelin present in the region at that time? that could have facilitated the sighting?

(in reply to nehi)
Post #: 217
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 8:12:15 PM   
operating

city LOS

OK, here is Tyro's screenshot:

When a zeppelin spots an invisible unit, a red target icon shines on that location, as well as any other enemy ships at your friendly coastal sea hexes within it's range, that's the difference here. Also, the mini-map shows the existence of something there, but does describe it, much like everything else on the mini-map. Other than the mini-map: What would cause a player to inspect that sea hex? Or, was it the mini-map the reason the player decided to inspect the local coastal hexes? Of course if a player saw movement during replay to that location would be a valid reason to do an inspection, but if the transport stopped one coastal hex south of the one highlighted in the screenshot, would that same transport still be detectable?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/1/2017 8:28:04 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 218
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/1/2017 8:33:17 PM   
nehi

wont be, because thats plain hex, no unit, no city, no port, no LOS over sea at all, covered by FOW

im using it vs turks often to land undetected

yes, watching opponents turn is a good idea, im usually doing it, at least as long as its needed to be cautious

i told u i have seen it many times, but didnt know its not just random bug

< Message edited by nehi -- 3/1/2017 8:52:29 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 219
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 6:16:22 AM   
operating

Turn 30

Kovno-Vilna

Drove a German infantry out of position, but was not able to take advantage of the retreat without a nearby reserve. Attrition attacks continue on this front.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 6:23:26 AM >

(in reply to nehi)
Post #: 220
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 6:31:31 AM   
operating

Turn 30

Warsaw=Galicia

Many units repaired here, but take a look at the Germans who have not repaired, sure sign their economy is in trouble.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 6:34:09 AM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 221
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 6:43:50 AM   
operating

Turn 30

Baltic

What you see here is the near destruction of the entire German High Seas Fleet, down to a 2 strength Flag Dreadnaught. Red circles represent where another dreadnaught was sunk along with a convoy sunk.. Surprisingly balloons can cause fleet damage by striking first (taking considerable damage themselves from ship AA) then moving in with fleet attacks driving down German fleet numbers. Felt it was a good time to use this tactic. On the next turn the German surface fleet will be no longer exist for this match..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 6:54:46 AM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 222
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 2:21:22 PM   
operating

Turn 31

Constantinople Captured Event

OK, what this event triggers is: A -30 NM to Turkey, it removes a source for Turkish units to be in full supply. Can't help but notice the English flag and English troops in the event picture, even though the city was captured by the Russians..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 2:28:34 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 223
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 2:35:14 PM   
operating

Turn 31

Victory in the Baltic.!

With the sinking of Germany's Flagship Dreadnaught Fleet signals the end of it's surface fleet, but not the end of it's submarine fleets. Going to miss the naval battle here that lasted for quite some number of turns, it was thoroughly enjoyable and at times precarious, "Hats off to opnn for a valiant effort".

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 2:48:46 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 224
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 3:02:52 PM   
operating

Turn 31

France

A lot of activity here: First there was the capture of Brussels (cuts RR from Germany to the coast and loss of 5 PP to Germany). Second, Transport move to outside Calais. Third, Combined attacks on CP units all over the map here, clearly doing a lot of damage. Fourth, deployed armored train at London in preparation to join the fight in France or Belgium. Have to wonder what opnn thinks of his situation and how he is going to deal with it? I'm not going to let up on attacks to units that are in a low state of readiness, can almost taste the retaking of Northern France..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 3:14:40 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 225
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 3:04:10 PM   
nehi

quote:

Turn 31

Victory in the Baltic.!

that's all folks, cp dont have enough production to waste it on sea,, convoys are just insidious trap burying their warfare

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 226
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 3:28:32 PM   
operating

It's a tricky situation for CP in the Baltic, however depending on CP's strategy it could been handled a couple of different ways (which I am not going to expand on atm). First and foremost CP should concentrate on it's land game, France or Serbia, or both, but if E makes mistakes in Baltic, by all means try and reap the benefits of supply convoys.

(in reply to nehi)
Post #: 227
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 4:14:37 PM   
nehi

hm, not

cp need to focus on primary goals, such distraction will be just wet graveyard of their ambitions

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 228
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 6:23:54 PM   
operating

Turn 31

Italy

opnn has put together quite the air-force supporting his offensive here and Yes I am getting more concerned with his armies making a breakthrough. Deployed another garrison by Florence with more help on the way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 6:31:19 PM >

(in reply to nehi)
Post #: 229
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 6:40:35 PM   
operating

Turn 31

Constantinople

With this city being liberated the Russian sub is free to attack the German armored cruiser with out penalty and with the protection of being in port. Gallipoli is still under siege and close to falling to the Brits.. I'm leery of sending help from Izmir for fear that opnn has an army nearby out of LOS that could recapture this city. I think I have a reserve unit on the way here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 6:50:25 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 230
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 7:00:00 PM   
operating

Turn 31

Mosul

With Mosul surrounded, next turn if the defending garrison stays in place it will be at half-supply and have it's defense less capable. Decided to let my troops gather strength and position for the taking of this city while an armored car ran south to gather intel on possible targets and reducing the supply chain access from Bagdad north.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 7:07:28 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 231
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 7:14:47 PM   
operating

Turn 32

Turkey's loss of Production

A simple Russian armored car has captured Bagdad and brought the production of new Turkish units to a halt and eliminated any that were in the production queue.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 7:19:42 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 232
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 7:23:16 PM   
operating

Turn 32

Bagdad Surrenders

What this event does: It gives Turkey a further -10 NM and puts all remaining Turkey held hexes at half-supply, plus the loss of any PP from this city. Last turn the armored car could see that Samarra was unoccupied and not a threat so decided to shoot the dice to see if Bagdad was also unoccupied (for many players disband SGs in these distant cities) and ended up with a bonanza, the capture of this capital. My earlier intel mission down by Basra with a Brit armored car (that died) reported SGs there, but never made it to Bagdad.

Also take note that the Russian army was wearing pith helmets in the Bagdad picture. Gee, I knew the Brits wore pith helmets, could that have been the Brit army in the picture (no flag this time)?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 7:41:56 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 233
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 8:12:52 PM   
operating

Turn 32

France

Again a lot of activity here: opnn moved a weak German cav into Calais which was promptly shelled, bombed and strafed further reducing it's number priming it for a direct amphibious invasion that resulted in the recapture of the city and the destruction of the German cav, Huzzah.!, Huzzah.!. Elsewhere repaired units and kept up the suppression of nearby CP armies which are in bad shape.. The capture also restricts German unit movement. This is a turn that is scoring pluses for the Entente and a little depression for CP.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 8:24:50 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 234
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 10:31:56 PM   
operating

Turn 32

Italy

More units are lining up to start counter-offenses including the Italian artillery and the forward movement of English balloons, plus deployment of new Italian ground units. French attack to harry AH infantry

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/2/2017 10:39:07 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 235
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/2/2017 11:51:04 PM   
Robotron

Just some aspects that would probably be different when playing my mod at this point of time in the game (turn 32 would equal June 1916 because after 1914 each turn equals one month).

- Bulgaria would have joined CP, no matter whether gas was used or CP fell behind back in production too much
- both sides would have built no additional zeps and way less fighters since their strength was severely toned down
- Britain might be chasing the last remnants of the Senussi uprising in the Libyan desert
- no Gallipoli would have happened since the Entente player does not get an amphibious invasion force for free
- a German Battlecruiser would probably have guarded Constantinople
- there would likely be some skirmishing at the Mesopotamian front since Britain won't risk losing the oilfields at Abadan
- Russia might just recover from its catastrophic supply crisis of 1915
- Italy might still be out of the war after Trento was ceded by AH
- Germany would suffer from starvation
- Romania would probably just get ready to join Entente
- Turkey should be in a better shape with the Constantinople Express supplying bonus PP per turn

Okay, no more shameless product placement. ;)

Hope your opponent still holds out a few more turns though the game is already decided. Probably going on the offensive in Italy was a major blunder that cost him the game even more than the slaughtering in the Baltic.

As for the mysterious invisible units in LOS of coastal cities: that's a bug caused by the convoluted way LOS is determined at the start of each TURN combined with the procedure for determining LOS at the start of each PHASE. It's all very complicated and I fear that's caused by a design flaw in the game's logic run by the core engine and not the scripts. It's most likely not fixable since the most essential game functions are not accessable/moddable and will override any workaround (just like it's impossible to terraform the map).

Cheers!

< Message edited by Robotron -- 3/2/2017 11:53:37 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 236
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/3/2017 12:05:06 AM   
nehi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robotron

Just some aspects that would probably be different when playing my mod at this point of time in the game (turn 32 would equal June 1916 because after 1914 each turn equals one month).

- Bulgaria would have joined CP, no matter whether gas was used or CP fell behind back in production too much
- both sides would have built no additional zeps and way less fighters since their strength was severely toned down
- Britain might be chasing the last remnants of the Senussi uprising in the Libyan desert
- no Gallipoli would have happened since the Entente player does not get an amphibious invasion force for free
- there would likely be some skirmishing at the Mesopotamian front since Britain won't risk losing the oilfields at Abadan
- Turkey should be in a better shape with the Constantinople Express supplying bonus PP per turn

i would bet cp dont have much chance to win it without enough support units (aircrafts), to break france they need some weapon of mass destruction

i dont know how much (if) its different from ai games, but if its similar, i cant even imagine how to beat entente

in vanilla its matter of 30 turns if it goes smoothly, without enough support units, it would take forever to happen or better say never to happen (in 60 turns)

if u r able to set up 3 arts to shoot at one hex, u can advance one hex, but how often u can set them like that? when u dont destroy defending unit in one turn, it can be replaced... sisyphus job

(on top of that, u delayed improving german ammo production)

unfortunately ai and mp games are completely different kinds (vs ai is much better potzblitz, for mp is better vanilla, because its quite well balanced, except (russian) small garrisons)

< Message edited by nehi -- 3/3/2017 3:30:07 PM >

(in reply to Robotron)
Post #: 237
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/3/2017 2:40:56 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robotron

Okay, no more shameless product placement. ;)

Hope your opponent still holds out a few more turns though the game is already decided. Probably going on the offensive in Italy was a major blunder that cost him the game even more than the slaughtering in the Baltic.

As for the mysterious invisible units in LOS of coastal cities: that's a bug caused by the convoluted way LOS is determined at the start of each TURN combined with the procedure for determining LOS at the start of each PHASE. It's all very complicated and I fear that's caused by a design flaw in the game's logic run by the core engine and not the scripts. It's most likely not fixable since the most essential game functions are not accessable/moddable and will override any workaround (just like it's impossible to terraform the map).

Cheers!

Robotron,

Thought best to respond to your post over at your mod thread at Slitherine..

(in reply to Robotron)
Post #: 238
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/3/2017 2:51:33 PM   
operating

Turn 34

Holy City Captured event

This means the capture of Jerusalem, the effect is a -10 NM to Turkey and the loss city PP production.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/3/2017 2:54:04 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 239
RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active - 3/3/2017 3:09:37 PM   
operating

Turn 34

Palestine

With the fall of Bagdad the half-supplied Turk armies in Palestine are falling like dominos. Besides capturing Jerusalem, Aqaba has been taken opening the door to seizing more territory with less and less resistance. I'm pretty sure at the end of this turn Turkey offers to surrender, but I refused, only because I"d like to create a corridor all the way to Constantinople for the possible deployment of Brit troops towards Russia and also atm aside from Brit convoys the English economy is not strong, maybe 20 PP or so, need new sources of income from captured cities.. Armored cars are very explosive at capturing ground here..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 3/3/2017 3:21:00 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI