Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hypersonic Blackout?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Hypersonic Blackout? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 2:50:23 AM   
Dysta

Inspired from this article:

http://www.andrewerickson.com/2017/02/my-testimony-before-the-u-s-china-commission-chinese-anti-ship-ballistic-missile-development-and-counter-intervention-efforts-hearing-on-chinas-advanced-wea/
(Video here: https://www.senate.gov/isvp/?type=live&comm=uscc&filename=uscc022317)

The non-stop guesses about Chinese DF-21D and hypersonic weapon experiments always circulate with "dubious accuracy", not just because of the jamming or the mobility of modern warships, but also have something called "Hypersonic Blackout" since the failed test of US X-51 when reaching hypersonic speed.

Does CMANO implemented this? I guess it will comes to effect for any missile/warhead traveling above M5, all sensors and comms inside will not functioning thus losing accuracy at terminal stage.

I've also provided the PDF about the obstacles of hypersonic flight:
http://dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a430330.pdf

Post #: 1
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 3:28:37 AM   
CapnDarwin

The plasma field disrupts the communication from the hypersonic vehicle to the outside world. There is no effect on the workings of electronics on the inside (assuming proper shielding of course).

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 2
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 8:54:13 AM   
Rocksoldier

But if the RV has an active/passive radar because need to hit a moving target... this may became a problem!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 10:47:45 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rocksoldier

But if the RV has an active/passive radar because need to hit a moving target... this may became a problem!

Yep, because no emission can come out from plasma field as well.

(in reply to Rocksoldier)
Post #: 4
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 12:41:52 PM   
SeaQueen

It just means it needs to have a terminal velocity lower than hypersonic speeds and to have slowed down enough in the atmosphere for its seeker head to work. That's nothing that hasn't been going on since the beginning of the space program.

It does have an interesting effect, though. It means that the seeker head doesn't turn on until it's pointed almost straight down. That means it illuminates the area below it like a spotlight and the illuminated area shrinks as it gets closer and closer to the ground. That means that if it doesn't acquire the target immediately it's going to become less and less likely to.

There's definitely a lot of things that need to come together for this to work, no doubt.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rocksoldier

(in reply to Rocksoldier)
Post #: 5
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 12:54:49 PM   
DrRansom

Hypersonic blackout is not a problem at the speeds the re-entry vehicle will traveling at.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 6
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 1:30:21 PM   
Dysta

In other word, it has to be slow down when diving.

It did in CMANO, the velocity of RV will drop below M7, and I thought it's because the thicker air at lower altitude, and RV has no engine to combat friction. Even without plasma screening, the RV will be jammed regardless.

The only thing can correct it is INS, and of course, it doesn't work in moving target.

(in reply to DrRansom)
Post #: 7
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 6:55:44 PM   
DrRansom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

In other word, it has to be slow down when diving.

It did in CMANO, the velocity of RV will drop below M7, and I thought it's because the thicker air at lower altitude, and RV has no engine to combat friction. Even without plasma screening, the RV will be jammed regardless.

The only thing can correct it is INS, and of course, it doesn't work in moving target.

No, the speeds for an IRBM are too low for radiation blackout. The speeds are too low by about a factor of 2.

For the IRBM, this is not a problem.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 8
RE: Hypersonic Blackout? - 3/3/2017 10:16:02 PM   
ExNusquam

As the others have stated, this isn't really a problem for IRBMs, especially those fitted with MaRVs. For reference:
quote:

Xinhua reported that the DF-21 is comparable to the U.S. Pershing II intermediate-range missile that used a two-stage rocket and aerodynamic reentry vehicle.

This honestly isn't much of a stretch - here's the Pershing II next to a CSS-6 and a CSS-5 canister. The MaRVs are at least visually similar. If you look at the Pershing II flight profile you can see that the MaRV executes a range extension at the start of terminal guidance. This was usually about 30 miles, and was used to decelerate to the correct impact speed (I suspect this was at least partially governed by seeker/maneuverability limitations). This flight profile has been circulated by Chinese defense blogs - not exactly reputable but it does confirm the idea.

(in reply to DrRansom)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Hypersonic Blackout? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI