Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/2/2017 4:49:25 PM   
Benedict151

Hello everyone
The beta version of the Strategic Command PBEM update is now available. This is v1.01.01 beta.
It also includes a few other updates, please see the changelist below

This PBEM beta includes the v1.01 update

Hubert and Bill are of course continuing to work on making Strategic Command even better so by the time the PBEM update is made official you can expect a few more tweaks and fixes. This will be followed by another significant update for which the goal is the bring the UI up to level detailed in the manual.

To download the PBEM v1.01.01 beta please go the Strategic Command Public Beta forum which should now be open for all forum members.
Be aware that it is a beta patch so there may be the odd unexpected issue
Also please be warned that save games from the release version will not work with this update.

We'd appreciate it if you could post any feedback or reports of issues with v1.01.01 on the beta forum rather than on this main forum

Thank you for your patience and we hope you enjoy it

Regards
Ben Wilkins

STATEGIC COMMAND v1.01.01 CHANGE LIST
implemented multiplayer PBEM++.
fixed an 'animate_tile_control_update_after_land_unit_move' CTD error when moving an air unit and being subsequently surprised by a hidden adjacent enemy unit.
fixed several 'animate_replay_list' errors related to the PBEM++ replay system.
fixed several memory issues that resulted in 'failed to blit surface' CTD errors.
fixed an error related to fully Neutral hexes with resources on them that resulted in a CTD when mouse hovering over that hex.
added a time stamp to saved games consistent with PBEM++ lobby time stamp format.
amended the date stamp for saved games to be consistent with the PBEM++ lobby time stamp format.
older saves from previous versions of the game will now be marked by their older version number in the Load Saved Game screen if the saves are still compatible with the current version of the game.

< Message edited by Benedict151 -- 3/10/2017 4:42:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/2/2017 8:18:38 PM   
freeboy

ok, so to be clear this is pbem not head to head vis email? thanks

(in reply to Benedict151)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/2/2017 9:07:09 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Freeboy,

It is head to head using the Slitherine play by email (PBEM) server. Turns are automatically downloaded and uploaded via the server and email messages are sent to you from the server letting you know if it is your turn etc. It is all handled in game via the PBEM++ Online main menu button option which takes you to the PBEM++ Lobby. No need to attach and send turns via traditional email anymore

Hubert

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/2/2017 11:52:02 PM   
xwormwood

It is much more comfortable compared to the BF pbem which is used for the SC2 series.
Well done, Hubert!

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/3/2017 3:06:15 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Turns are automatically downloaded and uploaded via the server and email messages are sent to you from the server letting you know if it is your turn etc. It is all handled in game via the PBEM++ Online main menu button option which takes you to the PBEM++ Lobby. No need to attach and send turns via traditional email anymore

Hubert

So does this mean that players won't be allowed to reload turns (i.e., cheat) to get better combat results before the turns are uploaded?

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/3/2017 4:13:34 PM   
n0kn0k

If you quit the game gets saved to the server.
I even had a crash and I believe that made me autoresign. So that can't be abused also.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/3/2017 5:09:38 PM   
Dmondragon75

Since I dunno how PBEM+ system works, got a few newbie questions:
1. Is it or will it be possible to see all players which are in lobby
2. I assume locked games are unavailable to join (since I see only 3 ongoing locked games). Will the game that is available to join be shown on that same list as unlocked or there s another way to find opponent?
3. How the hell can I find an opponent???
Tnx in advance

< Message edited by Dmondragon75 -- 3/3/2017 5:20:30 PM >

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/3/2017 6:17:41 PM   
wadortch

Hello Benedict.

Where does one find this beta forum?

Thanks!

Walt

Post #: 8
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/3/2017 6:46:20 PM   
Dmondragon75

I had the same problem, U must be logged in to see Beta Forum on main forum page of SC

(in reply to wadortch)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/4/2017 6:18:28 PM   
SGTFENN

Cool. Now I need to find the download!

(in reply to Dmondragon75)
Post #: 10
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 5:30:47 AM   
mst007

Does this beta version feature replays chaps? Thank you

(in reply to SGTFENN)
Post #: 11
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 12:01:54 PM   
SGTFENN

There is some Replay that I can tell. I had two crashes but didn't lose anything just restarted the application. I like via email pbem you know your next or if you look at the pbem site the file changes to let you know its your turn. Also I think they will get more sales now that this feature is out. Wow. Its amazing feeling not knowing what a human will do next in a battle. Italy is pressuring the British in the Med at peace time. Funny.

(in reply to mst007)
Post #: 12
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 12:13:03 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

It is much more comfortable compared to the BF pbem which is used for the SC2 series.
Well done, Hubert!

Thanks!

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 13
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 12:15:03 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: CC1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Turns are automatically downloaded and uploaded via the server and email messages are sent to you from the server letting you know if it is your turn etc. It is all handled in game via the PBEM++ Online main menu button option which takes you to the PBEM++ Lobby. No need to attach and send turns via traditional email anymore

Hubert

So does this mean that players won't be allowed to reload turns (i.e., cheat) to get better combat results before the turns are uploaded?

C

As n0kn0k mentioned, anytime you quit while a turn is in progress it will be saved to the server and when you reload it will continue at the last point you left off. Saving your turn in progress, if this is something you also wanted to do for any reason, will have the same result.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 14
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 12:18:55 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dmondragon75

Since I dunno how PBEM+ system works, got a few newbie questions:
1. Is it or will it be possible to see all players which are in lobby
2. I assume locked games are unavailable to join (since I see only 3 ongoing locked games). Will the game that is available to join be shown on that same list as unlocked or there s another way to find opponent?
3. How the hell can I find an opponent???
Tnx in advance

1) Right now the lobby will only show your own challenges (My Challenges), those that others have issued (Open Challenges) and only your current games in progress (My Games).

2) These games are typically initiated by two players that exclusively want to only play each other and have protected their challenge with a password. If you set a challenge to anyone in the SC community, then setting it without a password will do the trick and it will not be shown with the pad lock.

3) The easiest thing to do here is to issue your own challenge via the 'Host Challenge' button and eventually anyone else looking for a challenge will join and then you are off to the races

(in reply to Dmondragon75)
Post #: 15
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 12:20:49 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Trowbridge

Does this beta version feature replays chaps? Thank you

Yes, all opponent moves are recorded and a replay will be shown to you relative to what would be visible to you under fog of war if that setting is enabled. You will also be given the choice to view the replay of the last turn or not at the beginning of your turn.

(in reply to mst007)
Post #: 16
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 12:48:00 PM   
elmo3

Played a half dozen or so turns using PBEM++ and I can say the replay works great for showing you what happened on the previous turn.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Post #: 17
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 6:52:18 PM   
mst007

That sounds fantastic, thanks Hubert, and also for the other replies.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 18
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/5/2017 7:42:07 PM   
Leadwieght

Just started my first two MP games. REALLY like the fact that you don't have to do the whole compress file-attach file-email-wait for reply routine.

I do miss the chance to chat, or is there some way to send a message as you post your move?

I'm happy to have a replay, but I noticed that it runs at double-quick time. Is there any way to change the settings to slow it down to the default speed used when playing against the AI ?

(in reply to mst007)
Post #: 19
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/6/2017 4:15:11 AM   
freeboy

LeadW why dont you simply email the person.. or text for messeging??

(in reply to Leadwieght)
Post #: 20
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/6/2017 10:45:10 AM   
YohanTM2

Hi, game 1 in PBEM. Played three turns so far and each time it crashes the first time I load it. My opponent has had no issues. When I reload the turn it is fine.

Error:

draw_war_map_on_war_map_surface (1)
SDL FAILED (2): Failed to blit surface

(in reply to Leadwieght)
Post #: 21
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/6/2017 11:55:02 AM   
Leadwieght

Freeboy, sorry to be obvious, but e-mail only works if you have someone's e-mail address--which I don't think is available from the Matrix Member Profiles (nor should it be!). And PMing only works if you can find someone's Username on the Matrix Forum member list--not everyone opts to be listed--which I totally respect, BTW.

I'm not looking for an opportunity for excessive chatter or trash-talk, but it would be nice of you had a reliable way of communicating, for instance when you have to take a hiatus from a game, or if you want to surrender.

I work with online applications and I realize that live chat on demand can be tricky to implement and can hog up server capacity. Maybe just the capacity to attach a simple 140 character text message to a newly posted turn?

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 22
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/6/2017 1:01:53 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leadwieght

Just started my first two MP games. REALLY like the fact that you don't have to do the whole compress file-attach file-email-wait for reply routine.

I do miss the chance to chat, or is there some way to send a message as you post your move?

I'm happy to have a replay, but I noticed that it runs at double-quick time. Is there any way to change the settings to slow it down to the default speed used when playing against the AI ?

We are going to look into a chat option and for the replay speed, once the game loads the turn from the server an OPTIONS screen will appear prior to watching the replay. There is a section for 'Multiplayer Replays' and if you turn off the 'Quick Animation' setting then the replay will show at the slower speed you are used to from a similar selection for AI games.

(in reply to Leadwieght)
Post #: 23
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/6/2017 1:02:46 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

Hi, game 1 in PBEM. Played three turns so far and each time it crashes the first time I load it. My opponent has had no issues. When I reload the turn it is fine.

Error:

draw_war_map_on_war_map_surface (1)
SDL FAILED (2): Failed to blit surface

Yohan, can you send me an email at support@furysoftware.com?

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 24
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/6/2017 5:04:49 PM   
freeboy

ok.. not to be too blunt but I would never waste time with someone not having their email these games can take hours and hours and If I dont trust them with my email why should I trust they wont flake out? nothing worse than to invest many hours and have a no show no response quitter... so one way I insure quality is email address as a mandatory to play against the Freeboy

above in response to no emails etc see above

< Message edited by freeboy -- 3/6/2017 5:05:21 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/7/2017 12:40:12 AM   
Leadwieght

Hubert,

Thanks for the info about changing the animation speed. You and Bill are always very quick to respond, even to minor questions. I appreciate it.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 26
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/7/2017 9:41:49 AM   
Itlnprd1

I don't want to seem like an idiot but, can you tell me where the PBEM Beta link is located?

Post #: 27
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/7/2017 9:47:55 AM   
dox44

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4246904

(in reply to Itlnprd1)
Post #: 28
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/7/2017 11:32:54 PM   
battlevonwar

Pulls out Credit Card :P and edits out the profanity but in real life :P doesn't

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 29
RE: Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) - 3/8/2017 1:29:40 AM   
freeboy

one note the yugo partisans are restricted and cannot go into Serbia, WAT? they probably started out there!!!

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Strategic Cammand PBEM beta available (v1.01.01) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI