Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The movie that shall not be named

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> The movie that shall not be named Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The movie that shall not be named - 3/13/2017 5:51:00 PM   
stuman

I just saw this and thought I would share :

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/pearl-harbor-movie-hilariously-ripped-apart-by-honest-trailers-watch-x.html

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 1
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/13/2017 9:17:16 PM   
dr.hal

That's funny, thanks. Hal

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 2
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/13/2017 10:48:28 PM   
kaleun

Really funny

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/13/2017 10:49:23 PM   
SheperdN7

I had a good time with that! Thanks for sharing!

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/14/2017 12:41:56 AM   
MakeeLearn

Honest Trailers dude is good. The movie ...bad in many ways.

Hollywood, TV media.... If I wrote what Eugene Sledge use to say about them I would be banned.

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 5
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/14/2017 4:22:30 PM   
Skyros

BORA...BORA...BORA

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 6
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/14/2017 6:24:59 PM   
Orm

Thank you for sharing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 7
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/15/2017 12:34:30 AM   
NigelKentarus

The trailer was actually better than the movie.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 8
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/15/2017 11:00:33 AM   
Sardaukar

I used to dislike Ben Affleck based on "movie that shall not be named"...but actually started to like him in 2 of his latest movies. He seem to have found roles that actually suit him. "The Accountant" and "Live by Night" are actually good movies, latter better.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 9
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/15/2017 1:11:41 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

BORA...BORA...BORA

That is GREAT! The quote NOT The Movie That Shall Not Be Named...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 10
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/16/2017 4:48:03 PM   
Skyros

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

BORA...BORA...BORA

That is GREAT! The quote NOT The Movie That Shall Not Be Named...

Wish I could claim it is mine, but it was in the honest trailer.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 11
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/19/2017 3:22:14 AM   
rustysi

Good stuff. I don't know to me the movie was so bad I couldn't recall any 'bits I liked'. TBH I don't blame Affleck for this, its just a bad script.

quote:

"The Accountant" and "Live by Night" are actually good movies,

I liked him in "Argo" as well. Maybe he's finally getting/choosing better scripts. Hey, either way a paycheck is a paycheck. Did I just say that out loud?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 12
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/21/2017 1:54:15 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I used to dislike Ben Affleck based on "movie that shall not be named"...but actually started to like him in 2 of his latest movies. He seem to have found roles that actually suit him. "The Accountant" and "Live by Night" are actually good movies, latter better.

I agree. Some of his early stuff ("Good Will Hunting", "The Talented Mr. Ripley") was good as well and then he had some stinkers thrown into the mix. I thought "The Accountant" was fun, but haven't seen "Live by Night".

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 13
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 3/27/2017 12:44:21 PM   
morejeffs

Awesome

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/11/2017 1:40:59 AM   
Chickenboy

Last week, I saw a movie that was worse than TMTSNBN. I know, I know...it's just not possible, is it? Let me assure you all that it is possible. A war movie that I couldn't stomach more than half of. That I had to fast forward through to see if the middle was any better than the beginning. A movie directed by Mario Van Peebles. A movie that combined bad acting, crap special effects, mismatched uniforms, unnecessary race baiting, and superfluous love interests that wasn't TMTSNBN?

Oh yes. It exists.

It's called Indianapolis: Men of Courage. I'd rather watch TMTSNBN all day every day for a month than be exposed to that again. A movie so foul-so devoid of anything worthwhile that it has earned this title:

TMTSNBN II: The nauseating.

See for yourself. If you dare!

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 15
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/11/2017 10:06:04 PM   
rustysi

Say it ain't so bird. How is that possible? They must have worked really hard at it to attain that moniker.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 16
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 4:48:54 AM   
rockmedic109

I have seen movies so bad that I enjoyed them. Movies like "Spaceship" and "Empire of the Ants" and "Jaws 3D".

I was in ICU when TMTSNBN came out. I'd heard all the hype. I was looking forward to the time when I could go see it. I had to watch Tomb Raider before going to TMTSNBN to see if I could sit up for that long. And then I finally saw it. UUGGGGHHHHHH.

A movie worse than that. I have a hard time conceiving of this. In order to be worse I would have to be expecting a masterpiece. I do not think I could ever have high expectations of a movie directed by Mario Van Peebles that that had anything to do with history.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 6:02:58 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Last week, I saw a movie that was worse than TMTSNBN. I know, I know...it's just not possible, is it? Let me assure you all that it is possible. A war movie that I couldn't stomach more than half of. That I had to fast forward through to see if the middle was any better than the beginning. A movie directed by Mario Van Peebles. A movie that combined bad acting, crap special effects, mismatched uniforms, unnecessary race baiting, and superfluous love interests that wasn't TMTSNBN?

Oh yes. It exists.

It's called Indianapolis: Men of Courage. I'd rather watch TMTSNBN all day every day for a month than be exposed to that again. A movie so foul-so devoid of anything worthwhile that it has earned this title:

Challenge accepted ! Right after tax season I will sit down, beer in hand, in a semi coma, and attempt to watch it. I will report back.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 18
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 12:51:09 PM   
Chickenboy

Here's the "Rotten Tomatoes" page:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/uss_indianapolis_men_of_courage

9% critics rating. I don't recall seeing one lower. Even TMTSNBN I got a 25% rating.

Note the box office take. Something like $750,000 total box office haul on a cost basis of $40 million.

There is some good news. I don't think anyone will be in a hurry to give Mario Van Peebles access to $40 million for his next directorial effort.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 19
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 12:53:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
I do not think I could ever have high expectations of a movie directed by Mario Van Peebles that that had anything to do with history.

Well, you won't be disappointed!

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 20
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 12:58:13 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Oh yes. It exists.

Thanks for the warning CB.

Its available on Netflix right now and I was considering it just a couple of day ago.

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 1:24:54 PM   
Lovejoy

I heard about the movie about the U.S.S Indianapolis and I had high hopes. Then I looked up the cast, saw Nick Cage and Tom Sizemore, and got a bit worried. Then I saw that they filmed it aboard the USS Alabama, and I adopted a wait-and-see attitude (no disrespect to the Alabama, but I can't stand seeing battleships used to represent heavy cruisers [yes this is a nitpick]). Sorry to hear that it was such a flop, as the history behind it deserves better

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 22
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 3:02:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

I heard about the movie about the U.S.S Indianapolis and I had high hopes. Then I looked up the cast, saw Nick Cage and Tom Sizemore, and got a bit worried. Then I saw that they filmed it aboard the USS Alabama, and I adopted a wait-and-see attitude (no disrespect to the Alabama, but I can't stand seeing battleships used to represent heavy cruisers [yes this is a nitpick]). Sorry to hear that it was such a flop, as the history behind it deserves better

If you have access to a streaming service, you may want to check it out. Kind of like checking out a grisly accident by the side of the road. You almost have to see how bad, how gnarly and twisted it is for yourself.

Yes, the whole using the Alabama for a CA bugged the **** out of me too. They even did so for a bunch of their publicity shots. So did filming a number of the shipwreck survivor soliloquy scenes in the shallow, calm and muddy waters of Mobile Bay instead of the open ocean by the Philippines. And so on...and so on...

If you want distracting nitpicks, you kind of owe it to yourself to check it out. Start a list. Consider it a treasure hunt.

If you guys lived closer I might start a "Bull**** BINGO" game or a combined BINGO game / drinking game out of it. Then the movie might be a worthwhile endeavor. Alas, the serious subject matter detracts from such activities and leaves me sad for a good rendition that will never be.

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 23
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/12/2017 3:07:33 PM   
Lecivius

This made me cancel Netflix, in sheer self defense!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 24
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/13/2017 3:24:54 AM   
Lovejoy

Good god, I just finished it, and I'm trying to purge it from my head. To think that a move could be worse than TMTSNBN! So many inaccuracies! The use of a battleship as a model even though they used CGI (make it look like the ship if you are going to use CGI) The five inch guns were practically full-automatic (I know that they could be fired fast, but not as fast as they were in the movie). Plus, the Indy was hit by a bomb, not a kamikaze. Also, Not to make light or fun of a tragedy, but even the shark species that attacked the survivors were wrong (Oceanic whitetip sharks and tiger sharks, not "jump out of the water to bite some guy's head off" great white sharks). I can't believe that no one in the cast or production team stopped to say "are we making a flop?"

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 25
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/13/2017 12:58:47 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy
Also, Not to make light or fun of a tragedy, but even the shark species that attacked the survivors were wrong (Oceanic whitetip sharks and tiger sharks, not "jump out of the water to bite some guy's head off" great white sharks).

Yes. I noticed that too. Stock footage of Great White sharks attacking victims. Ugh.

Didja notice how most of the scenes in survival rafts were filmed in relatively calm, muddy waters? Kind of like those waters that could be found in Mobile bay, with the camera crew hovering nearby off a pier?

Here's a local news article on the making of. Note the interview with Van Peebles a couple minutes in? What a freaking space cadet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Yd5SRXnx8

How about the CGI on the Catalina? I think I could have done better with an Estes model and stop motion function on my iPad. The numbskulls lost a real one during the filming by letting it sink at its moorings.

Don't get me started....

I'll leave you with this publicity photo with the "crew" (about 30 of 'em?) on board the "Indianapolis". It's like they're not even trying...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 26
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/13/2017 1:11:31 PM   
Chickenboy

How about this shot of the 'gadget'? A non-descript run-of-the-mill crate suspended precariously from a curiously small crane with a pencil-thin wire holding it up unnecessarily high. Of course, in real life, the bloody thing weighed more than a carton of pillows-it was somewhere along the lines of 9,700 lbs. But who's counting?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 4/13/2017 1:12:08 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 27
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/28/2017 4:49:27 AM   
stuman

Ok, I did follow through and watch this terrible, boring as heck, poorly written, poorly acted, movie with generally poor CGI.

Ugh. At least TMTSNBN had Kate.

I feel like doing some sort of penance for having seen this.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 28
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/28/2017 12:18:50 PM   
Alpha77

Was this Indianapolis movie not discussed here a while ago, and thread was derailed by evil ppl making fun of other movies and a certain actor

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 29
RE: The movie that shall not be named - 4/28/2017 1:07:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman
I feel like doing some sort of penance for having seen this.

You've got it all backwards, stuman. Seeing Indianapolis: Men of Courage is what you do FOR penance.

Next time I think I'll take the hair shirt and flagellation.

By the way, you forgot to comment on the crap direction too.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> The movie that shall not be named Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI