Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

server vs email game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> server vs email game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
server vs email game - 3/13/2017 11:24:08 PM   
rjohn37752

what's the difference between a server game and a play-by-email game?
Post #: 1
RE: server vs email game - 3/14/2017 12:32:06 AM   
Timmeh

I recently discovered that if you walk away from an open server game on your computer and don't make it back before your CPU restarts with updates you haven't wasted a good hour and a half on your turn. I haven't played PBEM, but I think I would have been hooped and had to do it all again.

(in reply to rjohn37752)
Post #: 2
RE: server vs email game - 3/14/2017 2:23:40 AM   
56ajax

Server - game is stored on a server and you access it through the multiplayer button. You get a server email when it is your turn. You can save your game back to the server when you like but once you push F12 you dont see the game again until it is your turn. And sometimes the server is down. And there is no chance of any planning whilst you wait your turn. And there is less chance to cheat.

PBEM - from memory partner sends their completed turn by email; you drop it into a folder and play your turn. I think you are relying on the honesty of the person you are playing against.

(in reply to Timmeh)
Post #: 3
RE: server vs email game - 3/14/2017 5:40:01 AM   
Icier

To play a server game you need constant access to the internet..which is a bit of hassle when there is an upgrade to system. I had 1 server game where there were 12 dropouts in an hour,very frustrating.

PBEM games which I have just starting playing again only requires the initial moves being sent to your email account & then you can play anywhere.
As for the cheating bug that was in the game is gone.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 4
RE: server vs email game - 3/14/2017 5:38:49 PM   
rjohn37752

So it sounds like theres no advantage to playing a server game.

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 5
RE: server vs email game - 3/14/2017 6:08:13 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

If you have a trustworthy opponent and your computer has no crashes which destroy all files, there is IMO no advantage in a server game.
You can cheat a lot with PBEM: Take the file, play a little bit and find the best way to attack. Then open the file again and play your super-optimized turn. Or just reload the turn if you had bad dice rolls.

(in reply to rjohn37752)
Post #: 6
RE: server vs email game - 3/14/2017 8:08:25 PM   
Icier

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

You can cheat a lot with PBEM: Take the file, play a little bit and find the best way to attack. Then open the file again and play your super-optimized turn. Or just reload the turn if you had bad dice rolls.

You can do exactly the same thing on a server game.
Lets be honest here, we are all going to come across cheaters & when that happens,you will just have to decide what
to do, its a fact of life.
Besides, you can always argue that the Germans High Command, war gamed every major attack.

The beauty of PBEM...you don't need internet except to send & receive, so you take it to work, on a date..whatever!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 7
RE: server vs email game - 3/15/2017 11:46:25 AM   
MrBlizzard

With PBEM there's no proof that someone has cheated. When you find odd results you have to decide if trusting or not in your opponent.
With a server game if you want to cheat you have to reload the game without saving. This remains in server log so the staff can exclude cheaters after repeated anomalies not justified.
I read this in another thread.
I hope someone sometimes really can find the time to check.

Blizzard

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 8
RE: server vs email game - 3/15/2017 3:50:22 PM   
Kel

What I like in server games : simple, efficient, no risk of attaching the wrong file with the mail.

What I appreciate in a PBEM game : the ability to play the turn without pressure, save it and come back to it later (quite good for those long critical turns, where every AP spending must be carefully calculated, less so for more tedious routine muddy turns), and drop a few lines of comments to the partner.

I'd say both are great.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 9
RE: server vs email game - 3/15/2017 4:12:43 PM   
Stelteck

you can save the game current turn and come back later in server too. But you need internet connection.

(in reply to Kel)
Post #: 10
RE: server vs email game - 3/15/2017 5:14:20 PM   
Kel

Then server games just need a comment box. Hope WitE2 will get this feature like DC:Barbarossa.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> server vs email game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI