Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/13/2017 9:14:09 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I bought Campaign Overland last year. Not a particularly exciting game despite the incredibly huge map. Still prefer Campaign Gettysburg as the only "real" campaign in the series.

I'm a bit concerned that some of his patches are now for the JTS versions of the ACW and Napoleonic series. They won't work with the HPS versions and HPS hasn't provided equivalent patches yet. Campaign Waterloo and Campaign Antietam are examples of JTS only patches. I am not going to buy the JTS versions just to get the minor enhancements though despite my love for these games.

If you have the HPS version then JTS will provide you with a serial number when you update with their patch. Just send a note to JTS support. If you are in the HPS database and your in there as a purchaser of the game than they will send you a serial number. Otherwise you may need to send a photo of your CD.

I saw this, gut wrenching! Knowing she has passed on. But the info nelmsm gives is welcome.

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 31
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/13/2017 4:26:21 PM   
berto

There is a significant effort underway to upgrade the graphics of some, if not all, of the JTS game series.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 32
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/14/2017 3:32:49 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

There is a significant effort underway to upgrade the graphics of some, if not all, of the JTS game series.

Is Tiller himself involved with it?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 33
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/14/2017 5:10:50 PM   
berto

Not directly. WDS is. Will these be official graphics upgrades, not just mods? Yes.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 34
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/15/2017 6:47:33 AM   
milkweg

I bought Battles of Normandy not long ago. As for graphics, the old JT/Talonsoft Napoleonic and Civil War games sold on here still have not been surpassed and they are about 20 years old.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 35
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/15/2017 3:17:59 PM   
Blond_Knight

The funny thing is after sinking money into Combat Mission Normandy and its addon's/engine upgrades, Ive come to realize that I enjoy Squad/Panzer battles/campaigns more.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 36
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/15/2017 4:41:36 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

The funny thing is after sinking money into Combat Mission Normandy and its addon's/engine upgrades, Ive come to realize that I enjoy Squad/Panzer battles/campaigns more.

Absolutely.

I downloaded the demo for CM2 a while back and there was a situation where I had a column of afvs and other vehicles moving down a road. There is no "plot" to just "follow" the lead vehicle. This was a disaster of gaming. It was unrealistic in my opinion. And it was tedious. There is so much fiddliness in virtually all of these real time systems that I just don't have the patience to deal with them. They work in certain limited ways, but the payoff is far less to me than the hassle of using them.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 37
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/15/2017 6:37:17 PM   
wodin

Squad Battles is so s close to being down right perfect tactical wargame..

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 38
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/15/2017 7:22:01 PM   
JReb

Because of this thread, I was just looking at the Squad Battles product page and noticed a name from days gone by. Have not thought about this gentleman in a while but when I saw his name, I remembered all of the help he provided me and others thru the years with Steel Panthers and others. So just a quick shout out to a wargame legend, thanks for everything Wild Bill Wilder. You have not been forgotten.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JReb -- 3/15/2017 7:30:20 PM >

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 39
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/15/2017 7:53:27 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I don't have that one yet. Can you say something about it to maybe convert me from Steel Panthers series?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 40
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/16/2017 12:02:23 AM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

I don't have that one yet. Can you say something about it to maybe convert me from Steel Panthers series?

IIRC its very similar, but only covers a part or single theater instead of covering decades.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 41
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/16/2017 1:44:18 AM   
Sarge

Right after Strat O Matic I would say Tiller's titles are my alltime favorite,  still playing Campaign series and most of his Panzer Campaigns . Anyone that sights the dated graphics I counter with keep developing JT and let the community polish the chrome ..... not to mention his new Panzer Battles art is some of the best 2d work I've ever seen, the maps are amazing

< Message edited by Sarge -- 3/16/2017 1:45:57 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 42
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/16/2017 11:24:25 AM   
demyansk

I used to play strat o matic in the old days before the computer sims.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 43
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/16/2017 11:48:34 AM   
wodin

Now that's difficult. Personally I'd play both as one doesn't stop the other from being enjoyed. SB comes to life PBEM over at the Blitz forum whose community is excellent and welcomes newbies to the ladder. Also I found SB creates more of a narrative. With all the visual mods out there it doesn't need to look bad in 2D either..plus currently a great 3D mod for games with 3D is being made. Though for me the 2D is what gives SB it's unique character, well for me anyway.

Lots of eras to fight in aswell..though again personally I think it struggles with anything after Vietnam..remember really this engine was designed for Inf combat. If SB source code was given to someone and they managed to add ROF and Ammo counts instead of the current way which cripples weapons way to quickly so an MG42 ends up like a pea shooter and they add multi level buildings for me nothing could touch it. Still even in it's current state it's great fun PBEM.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 44
RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? - 3/16/2017 7:11:52 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

Now that's difficult. Personally I'd play both as one doesn't stop the other from being enjoyed. SB comes to life PBEM over at the Blitz forum whose community is excellent and welcomes newbies to the ladder. Also I found SB creates more of a narrative. With all the visual mods out there it doesn't need to look bad in 2D either..plus currently a great 3D mod for games with 3D is being made. Though for me the 2D is what gives SB it's unique character, well for me anyway.

Have any link for that mod?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI