Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  316 317 [318] 319 320   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/15/2017 6:35:22 PM   
Canoerebel

I use and abuse my long-range recon and search, both for info and misdirection. With regard to Fun House, that part of the op went into effect just before D-Day. They've been overused ever since.

I'm chronically short on reconnaissance planes and PBYs. The pools and replacement rates for the latter are one of the abuses the game foists on the Allied player. I'm getting by and I'll manage with what I've got, but sheesh!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9511
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 12:52:40 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I might when I'm within range.

Thus far I haven't done any aerial mining. I'm reserving that until within normal range of several key ports, so that I can keep John guessing. I'm close to being in range of the southern Home Islands, Palembang, and Singapore, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm not targeting Hong Kong because I think John has cleared it of ships due to its exposure.

Aerial mining works well only with bases that are in range of your DDs. Any base further back can just be patrolled by a AM or DMS and the mines are for most part useless. Instead I use them to support my offensives by mining nearby bases that the enemy can use to base raiders or transit reinforcements. That way any slow AMs that might show up can be intercepted by my DDs.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9512
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:07:24 AM   
Canoerebel

Me and my boys, ages 19 and 22, were laughingly remembering great lines from Mister Roberts tonight.

When I was their age, I enjoyed the movie. I distinctly remember thinking that the female navy lieutenant nurse (played by Betsy Palmer) was kinda old and not a knockout.

Forty years later, I wonder: "What the heck were you thinking?"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9513
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:25:04 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

If you are buying out Aussie units at a 25% discount then it sounds like you are transferring them to an unrestricted HQ that is in the same command structure rather than say a US HQ. There is an aussie corp that allows this. You'll find the same thing happens if you buy out US units under the unrestricted air HQ that sits inside the restricted command structure. For this reason many players have a HR that full PP must be paid when buying out units.

I've never bought restricted American units by using air HQ.

Surely there's no thought that buying restricted Australian units by assigning them to their own I Corps HQ or II Corps HQ is in some way tainted?

Not as far as I am concerned.

It does mean you can't buy out the HQ(s) themselves without increasing the cost to assign new units to them. IIRC, one of them starts assigned to Australian Command so is restricted.

Any unit bought out under the Australian I and II Corps is free to roam. It cost about 1/3 of the usual PP point expenditure to do so and is one of the quirks of the game, I suppose. It is kind of interesting as those two actual HQ are restricted and need to be bought out if you want them to leave Australia But nobody thinks it is gamey to make use of them as they are legitimate Infantry HQ. New Zealand and Canadian units don't have that luxury so you pay full PP fare for them. They tend to be the last units I buy out-if at all. I would object if I thought my opponent were buying out infantry units under air HQ's.

It is actually exactly 1/4 of the "usual" PP ;). It's because it's within their top-level command HQ.

Realistically, it doesn't make much difference in stock. The Aussie units don't have very deep pools for squads.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9514
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:32:15 AM   
Canoerebel

In this game, I pretty much ruined the British by destroying 18th UK Division on Sumatra. The expense was worth it, but that unit will never play another role in the game other than protecting an important rear base at 1/6th strength.

But the Aussie divisions, especially 6th, 7th, and 9th, have been in the thick of things in campaigns from Burma to the Aluetians to Big Tent to Fun House. They've been everywhere and served well. Thus far, none of them has taken heavy damage, so I haven't experienced the shallow-pool problem that Loka refers to.

The Aussies have been studs in this game.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9515
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:45:53 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Thus far I haven't done any aerial mining. I'm reserving that until within normal range of several key ports, so that I can keep John guessing. I'm close to being in range of the southern Home Islands, Palembang, and Singapore, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm not targeting Hong Kong because I think John has cleared it of ships due to its exposure.

Aerial mining works well only with bases that are in range of your DDs. Any base further back can just be patrolled by a AM or DMS and the mines are for most part useless. Instead I use them to support my offensives by mining nearby bases that the enemy can use to base raiders or transit reinforcements. That way any slow AMs that might show up can be intercepted by my DDs.

In my experience, aerial mining is garbage. All it does is risk your planes to ops losses. The minefields can only be laid at enemy bases, and are automatically detected by the enemy.

In a strait, with CD guns, the minefield being detected probably doesn't prevent the enemy from avoiding them entirely. But they're still basically worthless.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9516
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 6:42:29 AM   
Barb

What about mining Manila, and several other ports on Luzon to deny free access to enemy reinforcements, supplies or evacuations?
You are not going to Manila port anytime soon until Bataan is cleared. Dropping some mines to Bataan will be even more effective as it is a narrow strait.

< Message edited by Barb -- 3/16/2017 6:43:25 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9517
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 8:19:56 AM   
njp72

quote:

In this game, I pretty much ruined the British by destroying 18th UK Division on Sumatra. The expense was worth it, but that unit will never play another role in the game other than protecting an important rear base at 1/6th strength.

But the Aussie divisions, especially 6th, 7th, and 9th, have been in the thick of things in campaigns from Burma to the Aluetians to Big Tent to Fun House. They've been everywhere and served well. Thus far, none of them has taken heavy damage, so I haven't experienced the shallow-pool problem that Loka refers to.

The Aussies have been studs in this game.

They generally are in real life as well.

Sorry I just couldn't resist :-)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9518
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 2:01:42 PM   
zuluhour

she was a bombshell.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9519
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 2:04:11 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

If you are buying out Aussie units at a 25% discount then it sounds like you are transferring them to an unrestricted HQ that is in the same command structure rather than say a US HQ. There is an aussie corp that allows this. You'll find the same thing happens if you buy out US units under the unrestricted air HQ that sits inside the restricted command structure. For this reason many players have a HR that full PP must be paid when buying out units.

I've never bought restricted American units by using air HQ.

Surely there's no thought that buying restricted Australian units by assigning them to their own I Corps HQ or II Corps HQ is in some way tainted?

Not as far as I am concerned.

It does mean you can't buy out the HQ(s) themselves without increasing the cost to assign new units to them. IIRC, one of them starts assigned to Australian Command so is restricted.

Any unit bought out under the Australian I and II Corps is free to roam. It cost about 1/3 of the usual PP point expenditure to do so and is one of the quirks of the game, I suppose. It is kind of interesting as those two actual HQ are restricted and need to be bought out if you want them to leave Australia But nobody thinks it is gamey to make use of them as they are legitimate Infantry HQ. New Zealand and Canadian units don't have that luxury so you pay full PP fare for them. They tend to be the last units I buy out-if at all. I would object if I thought my opponent were buying out infantry units under air HQ's.

It is actually exactly 1/4 of the "usual" PP ;). It's because it's within their top-level command HQ.

Realistically, it doesn't make much difference in stock. The Aussie units don't have very deep pools for squads.

Actually they do in a way. Australia has so many independent brigades that once the real threat of Japanese invasion is gone I start breaking them down to fill the squad and device pools. I even break down some weak divisions but eventually rebuild them. Doing this can keep all of the Australian divisions in the field and leave a decent supply of replacements to fill in losses. The bigger pain in the neck is devices but careful management will do the job. The big problem with Australian and other Commonwealth units is that if you screw up and lose a full division, there is little chance that you can ever rebuild it.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9520
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 2:14:57 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

In my experience, aerial mining is garbage. All it does is risk your planes to ops losses. The minefields can only be laid at enemy bases, and are automatically detected by the enemy.

In a strait, with CD guns, the minefield being detected probably doesn't prevent the enemy from avoiding them entirely. But they're still basically worthless.

Have to disagree. Aerial mining can be very effective if you use them closer to the action. As I pointed out in my other post, you just have to be close enough so that the enemy sweepers cannot safely operate. So no more that eight hexes from your surface support. But you are right in that they do not have a chance if you try to use the historically. One bomber unit flying for a week will lay multiple minefields making it very dangerous for enemy ships to enter a base where they cannot sweep.

I really like using mines and get a lot of pleasure when they go bang. You won't win the war with them but you can kill some decent ships if you are creative.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by crsutton -- 3/16/2017 2:15:41 PM >

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9521
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:15:50 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Actually they do in a way. Australia has so many independent brigades that once the real threat of Japanese invasion is gone I start breaking them down to fill the squad and device pools. I even break down some weak divisions but eventually rebuild them. Doing this can keep all of the Australian divisions in the field and leave a decent supply of replacements to fill in losses. The bigger pain in the neck is devices but careful management will do the job. The big problem with Australian and other Commonwealth units is that if you screw up and lose a full division, there is little chance that you can ever rebuild it.

There is a 1945 TOE upgrade that changes one of the devices (I think an AT gun) to a model that the production system doesn't even produce enough of in 1945 to equip a single division, let alone the several that upgrade to it. Highly frustrating.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9522
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:17:33 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Have to disagree. Aerial mining can be very effective if you use them closer to the action. As I pointed out in my other post, you just have to be close enough so that the enemy sweepers cannot safely operate. So no more that eight hexes from your surface support. But you are right in that they do not have a chance if you try to use the historically. One bomber unit flying for a week will lay multiple minefields making it very dangerous for enemy ships to enter a base where they cannot sweep.

I really like using mines and get a lot of pleasure when they go bang. You won't win the war with them but you can kill some decent ships if you are creative.

The problem is that the minefields are automatically detected by the other player, so ships never hit them. I've never seen a hit, anyway. I've used about 1000 of them across games in areas of action. I'm not sure if that's a high number, but it seems like it is.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9523
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:26:21 PM   
Lowpe

I have never seen a hit with aerial mines, but they do cause you to change your behavior.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9524
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:47:26 PM   
MakeeLearn

Operation Starvation

"Operation Starvation sank more ship tonnage in the last six months of the war than the efforts of all other sources combined. The Twentieth Air Force flew 1,529 sorties and laid 12,135 mines in twenty-six fields on forty-six separate missions. Mining demanded only 5.7% of the XXI Bomber Command's total sorties, and only fifteen B-29s were lost in the effort. In return, mines sank or damaged 670 ships totaling more than 1,250,000 tons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Starvation

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9525
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:49:18 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Operation Starvation

"Operation Starvation sank more ship tonnage in the last six months of the war than the efforts of all other sources combined. The Twentieth Air Force flew 1,529 sorties and laid 12,135 mines in twenty-six fields on forty-six separate missions. Mining demanded only 5.7% of the XXI Bomber Command's total sorties, and only fifteen B-29s were lost in the effort. In return, mines sank or damaged 670 ships totaling more than 1,250,000 tons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Starvation

I believe is was kept top secret until the Red Curtain fell in the 90's...it was so effective.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9526
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/16/2017 3:54:51 PM   
MakeeLearn

Has anyone noticed a effect difference in aerial mines dropped during day vs. those dropped at night?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9527
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/17/2017 1:49:38 AM   
Canoerebel

6/3/44

Fun House: Death Star is at sea and Allied troops are embarking on transports here and there; a strong enemy bombardment TF hits Beaufort to minimal effect; and I'm wondering about KB's whereabouts.

Burma: Two Allied attacks come off at 1:1 and indicate the enemy forces can't stand absent reinforcements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9528
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/17/2017 2:19:42 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I have never seen a hit with aerial mines, but they do cause you to change your behavior.

Well you see I have had a few. The key is to use them in bases where the enemy just "has" to move ships in and out of. For example, I have invaded Pegu in Burma and use air dropped mines in both Moulmein and Rangoon to prevent the movement of reinforcements and supply. Supply does not flow well for the Japanese in Burma and they must use shipping if they have a lot of force there to support. So, I am dropping mines right next to my point of attack to hinder both surface warships and supply ships in waters too dangerous for enemy minesweepers. I only wish that I could drop them in non base hexes just like any other mine.

Using them offensively out of range of your surface fleet is a waste of time though. I use the sub carried Mk 12 mine for that.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9529
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/17/2017 2:20:02 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Has anyone noticed a effect difference in aerial mines dropped during day vs. those dropped at night?

There is none that I know of.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9530
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/17/2017 4:20:35 PM   
Canoerebel

6/4/44

Fun House: Allied infantry will attack tomorrow at San Jose (Panay), and Allied armor will attack at Lucena (Luzon).

John is showing increased aggressiveness on the map and interest in the game. My spidey senses are tingling. He sees Death Star in the Sulu Sea and has vectored in a wolf pack. What he doesn't know is that DS will move slowly - it's going to take days - perhaps five or six - for amphibs to load 6th Aus. Div. at Puerto Princesa. And the amphibs won't move there for several days as I vector ASW TFs to try to hits some of those subs. As that goes on, I'll use my own subs and nav search to see if I pick up any signs of KB in the South China Sea. That's the only thing John might do that really worries me. Any other use of KB right now - in the Pacific or Solomon Sea or Coral Sea - would simply free up DS to move more boldly.

Burma: Chindits at Luangprabang maul and push out a Thai RCT. In the hex west of Raeheng, I'll attack whenever my units have decent supply. At the moment, only a West African division does. I'm not sure if I want a solo unit to attack an enemy army in jungle terrain, so I'll probably stand down the guys for a turn or two.

Elsewhere: Remaining vague for Op Sec reasons, TFs are on the move all over the place. If KB shows itself, triggers can be pulled. But the time comes soon when triggers will be pulled no matter what.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9531
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/17/2017 8:53:22 PM   
Canoerebel

Burma.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9532
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/17/2017 9:02:46 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9533
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/18/2017 7:37:45 PM   
Canoerebel

6/5/44

A busy day, especially in and near the Philippines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 9534
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/19/2017 5:21:11 AM   
Canoerebel

6/6/44

Fun House: Things are really heating up in this area of operations. Allied bombers clobbered the Japanese at Batangas today. I think John has to withdraw that army, 75k strong, to Manila instanter. If he allows them to get caught in the open and attacked, his entire position on Luzon might collapse. But I do think he'll get them back in time.

Pacific: Four Allied amphibious TFs with carriers are at sea, waiting for the "all clear" before heading to various destinations. Knowing where KB is would be a great help, but John isn't cooperating. The first and smallest of the invasion forces will hit Luganville tomorrow. This base is small and weakly defended, and I don't expect trouble. But if John and KB run into a little carrier TF like this one, a little, simple op turns ugly. The only up-side is that KB way down here would free up other, larger TFs to move boldly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/19/2017 5:22:45 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9535
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/19/2017 6:38:53 AM   
Canoerebel

I think the strikes on Batangas destroyed 49 combat squads, disabled 26 combat squads, and destroyed more than 75 non-combat squads. There were guns and vehicles destroyed, and disruption should be elevated (especially since this is the third or fourth strike on this army in a week or ten days).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9536
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/19/2017 1:15:29 PM   
paullus99

John really shouldn't be standing in any hex that isn't either urban, jungle, heavy terrain or with high levels of forts....he's so focused on trying to inflict "offensive" losses to you at this point, that he's completely ignoring the fact that even at this point in the real war, the Japanese army had come to the conclusion that it was better to let the allies come to them & inflict "defensive" losses.

He really needs to start thinking about the end-game here & not going back on the offensive...although he's been a lot more timid in relation to events in Burma & his lack of any real effort to counter your PI operations is perhaps a sign that he's transitioning over to a more defensive stance.

I guess we'll all have to see what happens.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9537
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/19/2017 1:43:40 PM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

Uber quick post due to teaching this a.m. More later:

Fun House: ASW kills an enemy sub east of Puerto (always an achievement) and transports are embarking 6th Aus. Div. No sign of "hostiles" in proximity.

Massed 4EB again hit Batangas. John's army may not be retiring - no movement dot, though that's uncertain. My troops arrive tomorrow.

Mini KB seen in full strength in Timor Sea. It's not strong enough to do damage to my main assets. But could John send in KB from the north? I'm watching.

Invasion of Luganville ashore, but CVEs a hex away decline to provide LRCAP, resulting in loss of six or seven xAK and xAP.

Burma: Attack near Rahaeng tomorrow.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 9538
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/19/2017 2:05:26 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Fun House: ASW kills an enemy sub east of Puerto (always an achievement)

Good German(and American) optics...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/19/2017 2:10:48 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9539
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/19/2017 6:09:40 PM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

Mini KB: Sighted approaching the Timor Sea. This frees up Death Star a bit in the Sulu Sea, because now I need fret about a combined, full KB in that theater.

But it doesn't free up things in the Pacific. For all I know, KB is out there....and it's definitely far stronger than any carrier force I have out there.

Mini KB came here from the Bay of Bengal. I've been expecting the move, so I'd adjusted patrols to make sure those passages were covered. John's been paying a lot of attention to Boela, Sorong, and the Gulf of Carpentaria. So...does he bring in KB from the Solomon Sea?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9540
Page:   <<   < prev  316 317 [318] 319 320   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  316 317 [318] 319 320   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI