Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Dutch are the first to Die!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 4:00:07 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Bellum Pacifica map mod.

Does that affect PBeM at all? Would both players have to use it? Does it work with DBB SL Map ?

No, both sides don't need it. It is working fine with dbb scen 29 mod, which we are playing. There is a thread in the mod forum on it and it will answer all your questions.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 211
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 5:31:39 PM   
Xargun

quote:

What is the advantage of an AGP over a normal AG ?

AGP cannot be used as a cargo ship; but can arm MTB with torpedoes unlike AG. Also their repair and supply get used on somewhat smaller subset of ships than an AG or AD.

So only difference is the ability to load Torpedoes on PTs and MTBs ? I think IJN only has like 6 of those total (unless a bunch arrive in late war) so is that kind of waste?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 212
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 5:43:12 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

AGPs are very important for the Allies, marginally useful, at most, for Japan

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 213
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 7:07:33 PM   
Lowpe

This day Japan boosted their LI by almost 200 points. First big supply convoy docked at Fusan to fuel the growth.

Most of the r&d and engine builds are spend. Well, the engines I am pretty much increasing a point a day along with some plane builds. 1.7 million spent on r&d, and the best part is that it will be pretty much for the entire game. No switching over Oscar lines in late 43. Zero research is fairly minimal, but Sam research is heavy.

Tomorrow should see us landing at Miri or close, multiple small task forces slamming into the thundering herd, some other goodies.

Fast Transport, Barges, and paratroop landings yet to happen.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 214
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 7:09:19 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

What is the advantage of an AGP over a normal AG ?

AGP cannot be used as a cargo ship; but can arm MTB with torpedoes unlike AG. Also their repair and supply get used on somewhat smaller subset of ships than an AG or AD.

So only difference is the ability to load Torpedoes on PTs and MTBs ? I think IJN only has like 6 of those total (unless a bunch arrive in late war) so is that kind of waste?

I am sorry, I don't understand why you think an AGP is a waste. They are the only ship that can rearm a MTB; pretty important in my book. Also, their repair points and supply points are used on a smaller subset of ships making them very selective and worthwhile.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 215
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 7:26:43 PM   
Xargun

quote:

I am sorry, I don't understand why you think an AGP is a waste. They are the only ship that can rearm a MTB; pretty important in my book. Also, their repair points and supply points are used on a smaller subset of ships making them very selective and worthwhile.

They can only affect 2 ship types (PT and MTB) as compared to an AG. They are basically used to reload torpedoes on both ship classes. My question of their worth is simply based on the assumption that Japan does not receive many PT or MTBs and when it does they are of little use. Most places I can think of where they may prove useful is near a large port where they can rearm normally. If my assumptions (based on number of ships receieved) is wrong then I am more than happy to change my tune, but I just don't see the need for AGPs. Overall AGP or AG it doesn't matter much when you're converting its just I don't see much use in the AGP class.

Perhaps in your game play (or plans) you have specific plans for their use I just don't see the benefit.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 216
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 8:44:06 PM   
Lowpe

They effect 12 ship types.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 217
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 8:51:23 PM   
adarbrauner

When - never too soon - the Pts enter service, only then the AGPs play a very important role;

pt and MBT flottillas may well be deployed far from reach of a conveninet port...anywhere where needed...usually in ambush.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 218
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 12:28:37 PM   
Lowpe

There are several automatic settings I use very frequently to give more control to my local commanders. For example, a lot of my destroyers and light cruisers pursing the Thundering Herd are set to threat status Low. This means they are more likely to retreat. In my game versus Tiemanj I was able to use these settings to great effect at escaping certain death to wandering Fletcher task forces (there the setting was set to Safest or Safer, forget the exact terminology, and the TF would encounter each other but no combat would ensue pluse they had a different mission setting).

I did this setting in case my multiple small task forces blunder into a powerful Marblehead/Boise task force, as I would rather they retreat than slug it out and sink. I have heavier ships coming that can play with Boise.

So, here I am hoping that a Surface Mission task force, set to Low threat status, will more likely break off an engagement with enemy warships but will hopefully still sink merchant ships. We shall see...

During the critical night after the Pearl Strike, the KB was stripped of some surface ships to make for a screening SAG, while the KB itself was set to Low. During the night the KB reacted and changed course to avoid John Wayne's charge. The SAG was set at normal/normal, was given a patrol destination, but did not close with the surface threat. None of my ship Captains are super aggressive...when I need an aggressive commander for a particular job, I appoint a TF commander with the exception of subs and ASW craft.

Note these are instances of using the surface threat level. There is also a threat level for air. When I played Allies against AndyMac's Ironman AI, I would always put the British forces that had radar on Low air threat levels in the early months of fighting in the SRA. Often times those cruisers would alter course to avoid air threats.

It is not flawless, however. Sometimes the ships won't steam far enough away from Betty/Nell/Mavis or Emily attacks -- so that needs to be watched.

Also, you can gain local intel by plotting courses and changing the settings and checking to see how the local Captain plots his course. You can gain quite a lot of intel this way, but you do need to interpret it.

Another of the automatic settings I like to use is the Air Commanders Choice in bombing runs. That can pay off well, care needs to be taken in the aggression level of the commander (the basic protocol for targeting is described in the manual pretty well).

And finally, I really use Reserve status for ground forces a lot. Both modes are worth understanding -- but Reserve (no pursuit) mode is very valuable in almost any defensive position with more than a few units.

Unlike a lot of players, I really enjoy when the units do their own thing. I think it makes for a better game, with lots of surprises. It is particularly gratifying when I can make the enemy react to my moves.

So stop using normal/normal!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2017 12:39:44 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 219
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 1:03:54 PM   
Lowpe

Plane r&d:

After the second round of r&d expansion we are now at 2.2 million supply to spend, but there will be no 2nd wave of r&d expenditures (normally moving the Zero and Oscar lines to something else).

I decided to go straight for the Ki100-I. The deciding factor was engines.

In mid June the 2nd wave of fighters will have to carry a large burden: A6M3, Oscar IIa, Tojo IIa and the Nicak A will be up against it until the Jack arrives in early 43.

But 43 will be a good year with Jack, George, Frank and Ki100-I arriving.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 220
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 1:07:01 PM   
ny59giants

I change TF2 into SAG and then move KB to higher numbered TF with orders to follow TF2. Dont want KB to lead any surface attacks.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 221
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 1:18:41 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I change TF2 into SAG and then move KB to higher numbered TF with orders to follow TF2. Dont want KB to lead any surface attacks.

I thought of this, but then thought: would a lower number task force react away first from danger? And be the first to move...getting distance between it and the enemy ships hunting her.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2017 1:19:25 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 222
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 4:57:25 PM   
Lowpe

Dec 9th 1942

Many small engagements among the Thundering Herd. Many ships were in the process of loading fuel, or had fuel aboard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 223
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 4:58:24 PM   
Lowpe

Two nice Iboat encounters here and near Palembang where an Iboat surfaced and sank a CMc with her deck gun.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 224
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:01:45 PM   
Lowpe

More goodness...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 225
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:03:34 PM   
Lowpe

Allied shipping trying to flee every which way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 226
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:05:46 PM   
Lowpe

Finished her!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 227
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:10:13 PM   
Lowpe

Sweeping Pearl

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 228
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:12:41 PM   
Lowpe

Chinese are trying!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 229
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:14:13 PM   
Lowpe

As are the Dutch.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 230
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:18:19 PM   
Lowpe

Shot down in flames...many IJ attacks frustrated by range and weather.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 231
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:19:57 PM   
Lowpe

My honorable opponent taught me this little tactic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 232
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:22:01 PM   
Lowpe

She might have survived, except she was carrying fuel!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 233
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:24:55 PM   
Lowpe

Wenchow is bombarded three time today, by a CL task force, a DD task force, and the big girl here.

There are no planes hit at all, but Wenchow suffers good damage...this last attack came during the day.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 234
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:36:16 PM   
Lowpe

I thought this might happen; but expected the Marblehead.

I believe these ships are back at Ternate now...but that means a pincer move on the landings at Miri will not happen with these two ships. Just an enhanced Force Z and Marblehead could interfere now.

Taytay is still functional; and the AD arrives today to restock all the destroyers with ammunition.

In hindsight, I should have dropped the sub mines here rather than at Manila on the 7th.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 235
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:38:58 PM   
Lowpe

Not a bad day...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 236
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:46:49 PM   
Lowpe

Less damaging than first reports...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 237
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 5:56:24 PM   
Lowpe

I am very pleased that all my wandering small task forces set to Low surface threat tolerance engaged and sank many merchants. Only when they were out of ammunition did they decline to engage.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 238
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 6:03:45 PM   
Lowpe

Blatantly ripping off CR here...but I enjoy his screen pictures a lot. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 239
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/21/2017 9:13:39 PM   
Lowpe

Not having the faintest clue where the Allied carriers are, we are going to pull the string on the Wake invasion until the IJN can provide cover. Too many nice light cruisers and AMCs to risk for it.

Call me chicken.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI