Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fleet movement and formation question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fleet movement and formation question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fleet movement and formation question - 3/22/2017 3:32:53 PM   
Sokar408

Basically I have noticed that whenever I want my fleets to engage something, they ALWAYS use hyperdrives and arrive in a circular formation around the target. Needless to say this almost NEVER the way you'd want to attack, so my questions are:

Is there actual formation options in the game? (Like, a triangler formation, or square, or more complex ones like small ships in front, large ships in the back)

And can I force the fleet to move towards a given target, without "jumping" to it. Say if I make them arrive at a distance, and then want to move them in at sublight speed.

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Fleet movement and formation question - 3/22/2017 3:48:08 PM   
btd64

I brought up fleet formations in Beta testing, but it wasn't built in at that point. As far as moving a sub-light speed, if it was allowed, it would have a negative effect on your fuel supply. Don't want to run dry in a fight....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Sokar408)
Post #: 2
RE: Fleet movement and formation question - 3/22/2017 4:16:36 PM   
Sokar408

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

I brought up fleet formations in Beta testing, but it wasn't built in at that point. As far as moving a sub-light speed, if it was allowed, it would have a negative effect on your fuel supply. Don't want to run dry in a fight....GP

How so? You can't travel any meaningful distance at sublight speed, making its only purpose that of not arrive right on top of what your attacking, but allowing you to make a frontline.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Fleet movement and formation question - 3/22/2017 4:18:18 PM   
Bingeling

To have a "nice arrival", you must micro manage quite a lot.

The only way is to target your fleet to some point a bit away form the target. They will land in a circle around it and move in. If you find the correct distance (not too far) you can have them move at normal engines, more or less as a group. To avoid them being too close when arriving, you typically have to give many such move orders getting closer and closer.

In addition to this, if it is a hostile target (why else bother with this?), you must make sure that no ship ever finishes the move orders, or they will probably jump at the target. This unless you get rid of their engagement stance which makes them engage hostiles.

My best suggestion is to rather bring enough brute force to just circle and win.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: Fleet movement and formation question - 3/22/2017 7:07:25 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sokar408

Basically I have noticed that whenever I want my fleets to engage something, they ALWAYS use hyperdrives and arrive in a circular formation around the target. Needless to say this almost NEVER the way you'd want to attack, so my questions are:

Is there actual formation options in the game? (Like, a triangler formation, or square, or more complex ones like small ships in front, large ships in the back)

And can I force the fleet to move towards a given target, without "jumping" to it. Say if I make them arrive at a distance, and then want to move them in at sublight speed.

Thanks in advance.

About two years ago Canaris_PL asked about making Stars act like HyperDeny components.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3864689&mpage=1&key=honorverse�
I'm not sure if hyperdeny stops hyperjumps IN but it prevents jumps within it. If a star had such a field it would allow you to jump near the target and form up the formation without fearing that individual ships whould jump to attack on their own.

(in reply to Sokar408)
Post #: 5
RE: Fleet movement and formation question - 3/22/2017 7:35:32 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sokar408

Thanks in advance.

About two years ago Canaris_PL asked about making Stars act like HyperDeny components.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3864689&mpage=1&key=honorverse�
I'm not sure if hyperdeny stops hyperjumps IN but it prevents jumps within it. If a star had such a field it would allow you to jump near the target and form up the formation without fearing that individual ships whould jump to attack on their own.

Not a bad idea....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fleet movement and formation question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI