Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/3/2017 6:03:59 PM   
jmax

In case you missed it, the Navy conducted a moderated brainstorming session on dealing with human/machine intelligence pre- and post-singularity at sea. You can read about it here: https://portal.mmowgli.nps.edu/wp/index.php/category/singularity/

C:MANO came up at some point =)
Post #: 1
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/3/2017 9:54:49 PM   
kevinkins

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 2
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/11/2017 2:44:53 PM   
jmax

Hi kevinkin

I wonder if any other coauthors of AP 19 are on this forum? DARPA just released an RFI that touches on some of the ideas we discussed there...

https://www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/DARPA/CMO/DARPA-SN-17-41/listing.html

Video game developers, we want your thoughts on approaches to scalable, interactive gaming/wargaming that can simultaneously span a large number of space and time scales. We are exploring concepts for games that can help assess a wide range of competitive strategies and outcomes, and that bridge strategic, operational, and tactical gaming.

Of particular interest is Focus Area 3 from the information package:

There is considerable development of game AI to make a balanced, challenging, and enjoyable game experience, as well as recognition that competitive gaming provides a rich corpus of data to develop more capable AI in a general sense.ii DARPA is interested in (1) approaches to both learn and drive novel team decision making across all levels of gameplay (strategic, operational, tactical) using novel AI concepts; and (2) ways to abstract and automate human decision making to construct more interesting and challenging scenarios. For example, it may be possible to use human-trained AI’s to inject change into pre-existing scenarios in unexpected ways or even define new scenarios. AI’s could also serve as managers or cognitive aids to players at any level of gameplay.

These new concepts may build on or require fundamental advancements in underlying mathematical representations of context, joint decision making, or game theory. Respondents should discuss their approaches to achieving qualitative improvements in conventional game artificial intelligence/non-player character (AI/NPC) implementations, as well as how such approaches may allow unprecedented exploration of competitive strategic decision making.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 3
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/11/2017 4:17:06 PM   
kevinkins

I can't tell since the I did not recognize any Forum names while participating in the MMOWGLI. They will have self identify. if the Navy needs war gamers to hash out ideas or conduct observational research, this is a pretty good place to start. Although, from what we understand, the makers of the sim have a relationship already. But maybe inside the massive government that is not widely know.

Kevin

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 4
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/11/2017 4:20:35 PM   
jmax

C:MANO may not be an ideal candidate to address all three Focus Areas described, and it sounds like they're looking for proposals for new games, but it got me thinking... would it be possible to incorporate scalable tactical/strategic levels into the operational game client? Maybe using SpatialOS to tie C:MANO into Baloogan's Joint Command / Campaign modules...

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 5
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/11/2017 4:42:27 PM   
kevinkins

The developers will have to chime in on that. The forum can only provide a pool of part-time players with varying degrees of military knowledge and service. This might have some value in some future context.

Kevin

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 6
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/11/2017 5:21:53 PM   
jmax

Yea, I'm just speaking hypothetically. I love the idea of plugging the CMANO database, weapons, detection logic, etc. as 'workers' in a SpatialOS cloud to integrate it with, e.g., 3D hit modeling, MMO capability, human/AI teams operating at tactical and strategic as well as operational

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity - 4/11/2017 9:55:13 PM   
kevinkins

Hey, I grew up 35 years ago playing broad war games. The sky is the limit. Innovations will always supersede current limitations.

Kevin

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> MMOWGLI and the Maritime Singularity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI