Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/25/2017 1:08:34 PM   
sillyflower

The Brianites did not make any real effort to break the pocket. I reduced the pocket a bit but sent the SS to pocket 4 more rifle xxx NE of the pocket. Pic to follow in due course.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 871
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/28/2017 4:01:44 PM   
sillyflower

Here's what I did

I would not be surprised if Brian broke the new pocket where it is held by a single pz xx under the parachute marker, and got 2 xxx out, but it was more fun than doing nothing but reducing the big pocket.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/28/2017 4:06:39 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 872
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/2/2017 8:32:30 PM   
sillyflower

I forgot to add the stats. Over the whole turn cycle (I do love the new casualty reports - well done Morvael/Denniss) 12.2K G to 108.1K R.R casualties in my turn only about 60 or 65K from memory which was disappointingly low for the loss of 3 rifle xxx, 2 rifle xx and 3 regts but maybe I should be glad the Brian's units continue to be very under-strength. Air 123 axis( only half G) to 616 Brianites.

web exchange

Post #: 873
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/2/2017 8:34:12 PM   
sillyflower

T108 north

Predictably, Brian opened the new pocket and got half of his men out by making sure that they retreated /routed east rather than back where they came from. Sealed with the SS so I expect the 2 remaining rifle xxx to be mine next turn. Otherwise all effort went on clearing out the original pocket.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/2/2017 8:37:45 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 874
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/4/2017 8:50:56 AM   
Platypus

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I trust the forum will agree that once the time comes, this AAR should be stickied. We have some older ones out there that wouldn't hurt to be replaced.

Great idea.
Just finished reading every post in Silly's AAR since the 2015 start.
What a riveting and a cracking great report.

A couple of questions Silly.
Have you tried using the LW to interdict/destroy his rail network, either behind the front line [TAC AIR] and/or back into the Urals [STRAT or Long-range AIR]?

OPERATION STRANGLE by the Mediterranean Allied Air Forces [M.A.A.F.] in the Italian Theatre - reported successes with these tactics.

Source: Operation STRANGLE -Italy, Spring 1944 - A Case Study of Tactical Air Interdiction, by F.M. Sallagar. USAF Project RAND, publisher.
Link: OP STRANGLE - USAF & Project RAND

Is this modeled into the gameplay?
If not, then should it be considered?

Great AAR, Silly, not just for the images & rationale behind your tactics, but the humour & ripostes certainly add flavour.
Well done!!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 875
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/4/2017 9:38:56 AM   
sillyflower

Thank you Platypus. You can't bomb rail lines though you can fly interdiction missions against units that move. They have their place, but not now as far as I'm concerned. As for bombing Bolshevik production factories, I never bother, nor do I know of anyone else who has to any useful effect.

The WiTW air system is very different but I don't play that so am not in a position to comment usefully. I believe WiTE 2 will be very similar to WiTW.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/4/2017 8:13:04 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Platypus)
Post #: 876
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/4/2017 9:41:24 AM   
sillyflower

The Brianites try to be bold in the east.

A cav xxx is left a little exposed in hex 1, and regular readers will know of my obsession with killing cavalry units. After some careful herding, started by sending armour behind it to ensure a retreat to hex 2, I move it to a place of safety where it will be safe from rescue. The secret is to make sure that the retreat path you want is into a hex with no enemy ZOC in. Ensures that is where the retreating unit goes, and greatly reduces the chances of the unit routing which would spoil everything.

Gil Favour would be proud of me . For those who don't know who he is, he was the trail boss in the long running TV western series 'Rawhide' about a cattle drive and which also starred a young Clint Eastwood. Was one of my favourite TV shows in my childhood , and still is over 50 years later: to the despair of the real Sillyflower. Oh well, I have never pretended to be a grown-up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/4/2017 9:57:22 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 877
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/4/2017 12:18:54 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Gil Favour would be proud of me . For those who don't know who he is, he was the trail boss in the long running TV western series 'Rawhide' about a cattle drive and which also starred a young Clint Eastwood. Was one of my favourite TV shows in my childhood , and still is over 50 years later: to the despair of the real Sillyflower. Oh well, I have never pretended to be a grown-up.

Did you have the, "G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu" grip too? Chuck Norris would be proud of you! Because you have a pretty good "Kung FU" grip of the situation against Brianite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5vH9A8t9I

Post #: 878
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/4/2017 8:10:03 PM   
sillyflower

Dolls never interested me

web exchange

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 879
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/4/2017 9:54:37 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

For the record, G.I. Joe was an "action figure"....not a doll

Post #: 880
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 8:01:02 AM   
sillyflower

I may be a pedant, but I am a good one

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

quote:

doll
/däl/
noun
a small model of a human figure, often one of a baby or girl, used as a child's toy.
synonyms:
figure, figurine, action figure

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/5/2017 8:03:35 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 881
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 3:58:09 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

I may be a pedant, but I am a good one

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

quote:

doll
/däl/
noun
a small model of a human figure, often one of a baby or girl, used as a child's toy.
synonyms:
figure, figurine, action figure

Sorry, don't mean to take this more off topic but.....

U.S. Customs puts higher tax/tariffs on Doll(s) and Hasbro tried to get around it by calling it an "Action Figure". The case went to court and the judge ruled that the Action Figure is actually a doll.

But back to my original point in my first post. You have a nice grip on the situation :)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 4/5/2017 3:59:25 PM >

Post #: 882
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 4:14:51 PM   
sillyflower

Nice one.

BTW, I'm always happy if this AAR goes OT. Part of the enjoyment as far as I'm concerned.

web exchange

Post #: 883
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 5:15:06 PM   
M60A3TTS

A retired barrister living in a French chateau who's into American westerns. What a conflicted soul you must have.

Post #: 884
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 5:56:17 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

A retired barrister living in a French chateau who's into American westerns. What a conflicted soul you must have.

I can only hear SillyFlower replying, "You're no "Daisy" if you don't"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 885
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 7:01:26 PM   
STEF78

quote:

But he is a very nice guy (and Sillyflower is very impressive). Just check if you have a dinner scheduled with him that that the restaurant is open ... Loches is very quiet in the evening...

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 886
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 8:01:10 PM   
Manstein63

+1 Before he went on his French idyll I had the pleasure of having lunch with Monsieur Sillyflower, and he is one of the nicest people that you could ever meet.
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 887
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 8:40:47 PM   
sillyflower

I'm not conflicted. Wanting to live in a castle and liking westerns both betray a mental age of 8. Also a career as a litigation lawyer is inconsistent with the possession of a soul. It is also inconsistent with being 'nice'. As I once told a new senior client who was a bit taken aback when I described a document she wanted to publish as 'rubbish', she was paying me to be right, and if she wanted nice I would find her a different lawyer. She decided she preferred 'right'. Still it's good that I can fool people for a brief period.

Anyway, this is what I really wanted to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9N95OKUUQ

web exchange

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 888
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/5/2017 8:45:49 PM   
M60A3TTS

3:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-CkMpQtlY

Post #: 889
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/6/2017 12:01:10 AM   
charlie0311

I want so bad to join the fun, but, too dumb to be clever.

I did think of something, but then I forgot.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 890
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/6/2017 12:20:04 PM   
sillyflower

Charlie: you just have to remember that men don't grow older. They just become more important.

web exchange

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 891
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/8/2017 9:06:09 PM   
sillyflower

I suppose that a return to the game is in order.

T109 No pics as not a lot to see. The Bolsheviks didn't make any real attempt to break either pocket so 2 rifle xxx, 1 cav xxx and 2 sapper regts shuffled into the HIWI recruitng camps. Whole turn losses were 13.8K v 135.3K, air 40 (only 11 G) to 318. G OOB 4.38M (up 30K in the last 10 turns +1.5M allies excluding the few remaining Italians to 5.64 R (down 30K from 10 turns earlier. Most importantly, my recent turns gained the 2 baby factories in Tikvin.

Brian has heavily reinforced the north so I will have to find somewhere else to annoy him. At least Brian can't guess what I'm thinking because I have no idea what to do.

web exchange

Post #: 892
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/12/2017 1:05:56 PM   
Platypus

quote:

I'm not conflicted. Wanting to live in a castle and liking westerns both betray a mental age of 8. Also a career as a litigation lawyer is inconsistent with the possession of a soul. It is also inconsistent with being 'nice'. As I once told a new senior client who was a bit taken aback when I described a document she wanted to publish as 'rubbish', she was paying me to be right, and if she wanted nice I would find her a different lawyer. She decided she preferred 'right'. Still it's good that I can fool people for a brief period.

Anyway, this is what I really wanted to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9N95OKUUQ

Thank goodness --- I thought for a moment that you wanted to be a..........Lumberjack!!!
I'm a Lumberjack

Post #: 893
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/12/2017 2:45:11 PM   
M60A3TTS

The Python skit "Dim of the Yard" on YT would also have been a good choice. An engine driver, me!

(in reply to Platypus)
Post #: 894
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/12/2017 8:19:50 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platypus

Thank goodness --- I thought for a moment that you wanted to be a..........Lumberjack!!!
I'm a Lumberjack

Not my thing, but my partner in 'the Pros' when we played Wite as a team was Belphegor. He claims to have a far more cerebral career than chopping trees, but he's Canadian so almost certainly has a hankering for a bit of lumberjacking.

web exchange

(in reply to Platypus)
Post #: 895
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/12/2017 8:38:53 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platypus

I'm a Lumberjack

Not my thing, but my partner in 'the Pros' when we played Wite as a team was Belphegor. He claims to have a far more cerebral career than chopping trees, but he's Canadian so almost certainly has a hankering for a bit of lumberjacking.

Your choice of words never cease to amaze me ;) hehehe, hankering

Post #: 896
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/13/2017 10:03:57 AM   
sillyflower

For some unknown reason, your post reminded me of the old BBC TV series 'the Borgias' - about the famous family which provided renaissance Italy with popes and general corruption and mayhem

The Pope's mistress: "Why don't you talk to me any more"?

The Pope: " Because I cannot talk in 1 syllable words all the time, you do not understand 2 syllable words and 3 syllable words make you cry".

web exchange

Post #: 897
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/13/2017 8:24:45 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

For some unknown reason, your post reminded me of the old BBC TV series 'the Borgias' - about the famous family which provided renaissance Italy with popes and general corruption and mayhem

The Pope's mistress: "Why don't you talk to me any more"?

The Pope: " Because I cannot talk in 1 syllable words all the time, you do not understand 2 syllable words and 3 syllable words make you cry".

Ouch. that hurt :( I guess I should move the target from my back.

Post #: 898
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/13/2017 8:26:08 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Post #: 899
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 4/14/2017 12:01:40 PM   
AppendixSE

Considering the banter lately. I might assume that all is quite on the Ladoga front?

Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI