Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 4:58:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1600 -py900

So far so good...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 301
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 5:04:42 PM   
Chickenboy

General tab

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 302
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 5:05:09 PM   
Chickenboy

Shortcut tab

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 303
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 5:08:41 PM   
witpqs

I'm not seeing anything troubling. How about a pic of the "Compatibility" tab?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 304
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 5:48:48 PM   
Chickenboy

Did you know?

That if you-in the process of monkeying with the switches-accidentally delete a single space, it will invalidate the line and render your pathway null?

Did you know?

That if you-in the process of monkeying with the switches-accidentally save the slightly different (yet wholly unworkable) line that it will cause the game to freeze and not start properly?

Did you know?

That if you click on the shortcut with this incorrect line again and again it will produce largely the same errors-again and again?

Did you know?

That if you correct this and then upload the corrected screenshots to a friendly tech help site, that they won't spot any issues-because you've already corrected your own fat-fingered errors?

I learn something new every day...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 305
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 6:02:19 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I learn something new every day...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 306
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2017 5:23:39 PM   
cohimbra

Windows 10 made me crazy, finally got a solution for my laptop (Toshiba AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 1.70 GHz, 4GB RAM).
Command line is:

"...\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1366 -py768 -SingleCpuOrders –multiaudio -deepColor -noFire -archive
(where the 'performance command' are -SingleCpuOrders –multiaudio -deepColor).

After I set the .exe compatibility with WindowsXP (Service Pack 3) and the game run fast like in my CoreDuo PC, 1/2* seconds to loading game, 1/2* seconds to load saved campaign.
Hope this can help someone.

Don't forget to read What's New.pdf that you find in the main game folder, it explain clearly what's the way to go if you have Intel or AMD, I found it very useful.

* well, maybe some more

< Message edited by cohimbra -- 2/25/2017 6:39:21 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 307
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/10/2017 4:14:15 PM   
s2tanker

Keep trying the above suggestions. After upgrading to Windows 10, the scrolling and reaction time is painfully slow. None of the above have yet worked.

Know the enemy and yourself...

(in reply to cohimbra)
Post #: 308
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/10/2017 4:30:31 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: chuckdevore

Keep trying the above suggestions. After upgrading to Windows 10, the scrolling and reaction time is painfully slow. None of the above have yet worked.

Make sure that the "-" characters in your shortcut are the "-" on the keyboard, NOT copy/pasted from any manual. They look the same but are different and cause the switches to be ignored.

(in reply to s2tanker)
Post #: 309
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/10/2017 5:09:08 PM   
s2tanker

No joy. Still has massive scrolling delay, rendering the game virtually unplayable. Buttons are slow as well.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 310
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/10/2017 6:11:11 PM   
MakeeLearn

In the shortcut;

The switches work with the .exe

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

and not the autorun.exe

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe"

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/10/2017 6:17:14 PM >

(in reply to s2tanker)
Post #: 311
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/10/2017 7:34:12 PM   
s2tanker

It's a miracle! Thanks!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 312
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/10/2017 9:56:32 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: chuckdevore

It's a miracle! Thanks!

We live to serve.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to s2tanker)
Post #: 313
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/6/2017 3:39:37 AM   
mwalker

Could anyone here please write out step my step how to make this fix? Terminology, and location if information is unclear to me. It appears that one must find a bunch of readings about one's graphic card, I don't even know where to find that. Is there any chance we will get a patch or fix so that the game it playable again, because presently it is not.

Thanks,

Mike

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 314
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/6/2017 6:00:58 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwalker

Could anyone here please write out step my step how to make this fix? Terminology, and location if information is unclear to me. It appears that one must find a bunch of readings about one's graphic card, I don't even know where to find that. Is there any chance we will get a patch or fix so that the game it playable again, because presently it is not.

Thanks,

Mike

Forget about fiddling with your graphics card, 99.999% of the difficulties experienced by players do not stem from it.

The game is very playable on Win10. Some, but by no means all Win10 users, experience some difficulties which can be resolved by adding command switches. These solutions are outlined in the readme file which is found at the start of every official update. This thread also provides in many posts the details on a step by step basis.

The command line switches were introduced 7 years ago. Win10 has not introduced any new difficulty which cannot be resolved by these switches. There are many different issues experienced by people precisely because the different hardware and software installations can create different issues to each individual.

Stating that the game is unplayable on Win10 is meaningless. That is the same as going to a doctor and stating, without providing any details to the doctor, "I'm sick". Identifying your specific problem is the first step to resolving your situation.

Alfred

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 315
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/7/2017 1:46:39 AM   
mwalker

I have gone through this entire thread and while it may come as a shock to some people I don't know what a switch is. Apparently I am stupid, its certainly the feeling I get reading your post. I am not the only person who was and is unable to fix this. As you see in my profile while I don't post much, I have been a member since 2004 and bought many games including this one twice. This is the first time I have received such a response. I guess I will just play other games, there are plenty of them.

Mike

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 316
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/7/2017 3:43:49 PM   
m10bob

A "switch" would be the small letters and dashes you might see at the end of a command line in the above examples... for instance..."-w" is a switch allowing the game to be played in windows format.

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 317
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/7/2017 8:54:03 PM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwalker

I have gone through this entire thread and while it may come as a shock to some people I don't know what a switch is. Apparently I am stupid, its certainly the feeling I get reading your post. I am not the only person who was and is unable to fix this. As you see in my profile while I don't post much, I have been a member since 2004 and bought many games including this one twice. This is the first time I have received such a response. I guess I will just play other games, there are plenty of them.

Mike

As Albert mentioned there is a "readme" file in the main directory that explains a lot about "switches", your post doesn't make it clear whether you have read it yet. If you read that it should help and perhaps make some of the above posts make sense (and it gives some examples of how switches are used).

Its even possible its nothing to do with switches, you need to be much more specific on what exactly happens when you try to run the game and any error messages. Are you running the beta patch? Are you starting the game from the launcher, a shortcut to the .exe file, or a shortcut to the beta .exe file?? Unfortunately there are many reasons the game might not work but without more detailed info its difficult to help.

Have another look and let us know what you find.

< Message edited by sanderz -- 4/7/2017 8:55:21 PM >

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 318
Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/18/2017 11:55:19 AM   
FOW

HI guys I'm looking for some help.

Coming back to the game after a few years off and I'm still having issues with mouse click response speed in-game. It used to run perfectly fine on my Vista laptop before it died, but I'm not getting acceptable in-game speed (2-3 seconds between mouse click and change appearing). Game and scenario loading go OK.
I have an 'older' HP laptop - Intel i3, 2.1 Ghz, 8Gb RAM, Win 10.

So I've read the 'read me' file on switch use but no luck in getting an improvement; it seems to make no difference whether I use '-dd_sw' or not!
My shortcut currently looks like this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition DBB\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu2 -SingleCpuOrders -multiaudio -dd_sw -f -px1366 -py768

Compatiblity mode I've played around with using Vista SP2 / win 7 / win8 / XP SP3 but to no effect. I've also made sure all the '-' are correctly typed from the keyboard

Any Ideas?

EDIT:

I posted this having played around for a few hours and getting nowhere - then a miracle happened - read an older thread and added '-deepColor' ...

WOW did that fix it - who would have guessed, I certainly didn't expect that particular switch to have an affect on speed (which is why I hadn't experimented with it).
An old post by 'wipqs' held the answer

< Message edited by FOW -- 4/18/2017 12:13:18 PM >

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 319
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/18/2017 3:03:44 PM   
witpqs

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 320
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 4:57:42 AM   
CaptBeefheart

OK, lady and gents, I've got a strange problem. I just installed the game on my new Win10 rig and used the following command line:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1920 -py1080

The game in general works great and everything is faster, as you'd expect on a better machine and using an SSD, but the one problem I have is chunks of the desktop image show up on a random basis. By that, I mean say a 4" x 6" chunk of desktop graphics will randomly appear somewhere on the map as I'm clicking through bases, units, etc. One or two clicks will get rid of it, but then it might happen again a minute later. It's not a gamestopper, but it is an annoyance. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any idea of what to do?

Other details: I'm playing the stock Downfall scenario using the latest updates on the members page (i.e. v1.01.24 and v1.01.26a).

EDIT: After going through some of this thread, I wonder if I need a -f in there somewhere. I'll give that a shot this evening.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 4/20/2017 5:35:55 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 321
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 12:40:40 PM   
witpqs

This setting might matter (even though it says it pertains to other things). Someone else, maybe Moose, figured this out and I saved it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 322
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 1:45:39 PM   
Lecivius

+1 to witpqs. This little correction fixed a gawd awful lot of my problems running this on my laptop.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 323
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 2:53:10 PM   
CaptBeefheart

Sadly, that didn't do it, but thanks for the recommendation. Neither did -f do anything.

Cheers,
CC

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 324
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 6:44:40 PM   
Ian R

CC, this is my target line on my new (12 months old) win10 machine. I originally had some problems with click-response slow downs, but after some trial and error this seems to be best set-up on an HP pavillion (your size parameters may vary):

quote:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fd -skipVideo -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu2 -px1600 -py900 -archive -altFont

I actually took out the single CPU orders switch and now it hangs a bit while it works out the airzones, I probably should put that back in.

The other thing you might do is go into task manager and turn off anything running in the background like printer monitor apps. And also all the gratuitous start up program auto-load crap they include - like antivirus software prompts that cause pop-up windows.

"I am Alfred"

Post #: 325
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 8:44:22 PM   
witpqs

I remember that setting fixing a similar bleed-through problem with W10 for me, but W10 has had a bunch of updates since then and I think 2 major upgrades (now with the "Creators" upgrade). The point is they might have altered drivers or settings, etc. But it still might be a clue - you might look through all your W10 display settings and see if there is some new(er) setting that has an effect on the problem.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 326
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/20/2017 9:38:58 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

but the one problem I have is chunks of the desktop image show up on a random basis.
By that, I mean say a 4" x 6" chunk of desktop graphics will randomly appear somewhere
on the map as I'm clicking through bases, units, etc. One or two clicks will get rid of it,
but then it might happen again a minute later. It's not a gamestopper, but it is an annoyance.
Cheers,
CC

I get this also, its distracting momentarily.

was Will_L for a while.

Post #: 327
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/21/2017 2:04:57 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Thanks again. I'll try this over the weekend. I may also try windowed mode (i.e. -w command). One question: What's the difference between -f and -fd?

Cheers,
CC

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 328
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/21/2017 3:13:22 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Thanks again. I'll try this over the weekend. I may also try windowed mode (i.e. -w command). One question: What's the difference between -f and -fd?

Cheers,
CC

It's a little oddity of how they allow some of the commands to be put together. The "d" means, when playing the AI automatically save the game every turn ("d" for "day"). So in -fd the f and d have nothing to do with each other, likewise in -wd.

Post #: 329
RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling - 4/21/2017 4:18:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Cheers,
CC

It's a little oddity of how they allow some of the commands to be put together. The "d" means, when playing the AI automatically save the game every turn ("d" for "day"). So in -fd the f and d have nothing to do with each other, likewise in -wd.

I've got it! -fd means save on friday.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI