Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  328 329 [330] 331 332   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 2:39:36 AM   
Lokasenna

Looks like a bog-standard base force, MAYBE two, judging by types showing up in the losses and the number of transports. Which isn't going to be all that many devices, really. A few hundred devices at most.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9871
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 3:23:32 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I can't say why you got NO VPs for Japanese troops if that's what you saw, but remember the 6000 casualties don't mean VPs, only dead devices. And in my game with Lokasenna recently I saw about 400% FOW inflation on numbers of lost men in a transport sinking.

What patch level? In one of the more recent Betas Michael fixed a problem with Japanese units that get re-spawned not yielding points. It might have only been units that are re-spawned right away, or some other concoction but it was pretty big.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9872
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 4:14:30 AM   
Canoerebel

I sent John a brief note of commiseration: how I've seen enough of my own TFs to evaporate, generating white hair on my head, to know how that last turn was for him.

He replied that he's getting enough white hair now...but then added (he just had to, ya know) that he hoped to get this TF out safely but was glad the "other three" had made it already.

Well, his exact words: "Hoped I could get that last TF through but am happy that the previous three made it."

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/15/2017 4:15:34 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9873
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 4:44:29 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I sent John a brief note of commiseration: how I've seen enough of my own TFs to evaporate, generating white hair on my head, to know how that last turn was for him.

He replied that he's getting enough white hair now...but then added (he just had to, ya know) that he hoped to get this TF out safely but was glad the "other three" had made it already.

Well, his exact words: "Hoped I could get that last TF through but am happy that the previous three made it."

We must be careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations.

W S Churchill, speech of 4 June 1940

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9874
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 4:51:01 AM   
Canoerebel

Great quote, JeffK.

For many years now, I've taught an adult Sunday school class in a little country Baptist church in northwest Georgia. Occasionally, just for fun, I put together a list of humorous or profound quotes from four sources - always the same four sources, because they are quote machines: The Book of Proverbs, Mark Twain, Benjamin Franklin, and Winston Churchill. Then I read one quote at a time. The class tries to guess the source. It's hard to get them right and prompts a lot of laughter.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 9875
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 5:12:02 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I can't say why you got NO VPs for Japanese troops if that's what you saw, but remember the 6000 casualties don't mean VPs, only dead devices. And in my game with Lokasenna recently I saw about 400% FOW inflation on numbers of lost men in a transport sinking.

What patch level? In one of the more recent Betas Michael fixed a problem with Japanese units that get re-spawned not yielding points. It might have only been units that are re-spawned right away, or some other concoction but it was pretty big.

I think we're at 1126a. Not last, but close.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9876
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 12:44:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Worth checking the notes. When we patched I suddenly started getting serious points for IJ LCU devices destroyed.

Post #: 9877
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 1:46:52 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Worth checking the notes. When we patched I suddenly started getting serious points for IJ LCU devices destroyed.

I believe the fix you're talking about is because of our game, actually - back in Australia, Bullwinkle got one of those messages "18th Division surrounded at Geraldton!" or whatever it said... and instead of the unit suffering increasing disablements as is supposed to happen with that message (and then dying soon), it teleported back to Tokyo. The comment on our game save file still reads "added 150 VPs" from Michael's editing our save for that, and he fixed it afterwards.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9878
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 10:39:20 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe the fix you're talking about is because of our game, actually - back in Australia, Bullwinkle got one of those messages "18th Division surrounded at Geraldton!" or whatever it said... and instead of the unit suffering increasing disablements as is supposed to happen with that message (and then dying soon), it teleported back to Tokyo. The comment on our game save file still reads "added 150 VPs" from Michael's editing our save for that, and he fixed it afterwards.

So you're sayin' that bug was Bullwinkle's fault?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9879
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/15/2017 10:44:01 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Fault? I prefer to think of it as service services to the community.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9880
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 2:03:39 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The Book of Proverbs, Mark Twain, Benjamin Franklin, and Winston Churchill.

Benjamin Franklin rather than Abraham Lincoln? Well, I suppose he's not as popular in Georgia . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9881
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 3:58:07 AM   
Canoerebel

I think Lincoln is almost universally revered in Georgia. Sherman is still looked down about by a decent percentage of the population, but not by all (I'm a Sherman fan, and he was a quote machine too).

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 9882
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 3:59:57 AM   
Canoerebel

6/29/44

Allied troops pouring into northern Luzon and northern Thailand; Death Star to return to port (low ammo); KB may be moving west; John has worked himself into a frenzy to attack and will experienced threat interruptus tomorrow, when he finds that DS is pulling back temporarily.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9883
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 4:10:19 AM   
BillBrown

disregard

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 4/16/2017 4:11:04 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9884
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 4:36:28 AM   
bobsteele

quote:

quote:

Fault? I prefer to think of it as service services to the community.

Nah, you're a moose. Probably bugs

Post #: 9885
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 4:38:12 AM   
bobsteele

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

disregard

(opens hatch to rabbit hole, peers in, and hears giant sucking sound)

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 9886
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/16/2017 7:45:30 AM   
Encircled

quote:

disregard

Consider it done!

On a lot more serious note, this operation has gone off like clockwork CB

(in reply to bobsteele)
Post #: 9887
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 5:16:53 AM   
CaptBeefheart

There was a bit of comment, which I think has died down, on the other AAR that the herd (i.e. "1*10^6" ships) is too big for one hex. I haven't commented over there on this, but my handy dandy google skills tell me a hexagon with 40 nm between sides is 1386 square nautical miles in area. Here's a calculator, where h=40. That's heckuva lot of space in which to put a big fleet.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 4/17/2017 5:17:46 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 9888
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 10:52:19 AM   
Canoerebel

John and I briefly had that discussion awhile back, when he used that scientific notation in an email.

Speaking of which, John wrote this when he sent the most recent turn on Saturday: "Cannot wait for 7/1/44!"

I haven't asked him about it, but any speculation as to what it might mean? I assume its a new aircraft model or maybe even a device upgrade?

It seems to me from very dim memory that the Japanese were to get some pretty meaningful ground troop reinforcements in the Philippines sometime in the summer of '44. I don't recall the exact dates, but here's hoping Fun House cancelled some of those.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 9889
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:00:54 AM   
T Rav

I had to use the net to get the numbers right. 6,939 vessels involved with D-Day. More than DS and the herd.

Besides, there is Kido Butai, implies that grouping ships together is ok.

Go DS!

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 9890
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:01:19 AM   
Canoerebel

List of a few IJA reinforcements scrubbed, I think, due to fall of Manila.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9891
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:07:35 AM   
Canoerebel

John gets a couple of divisions early in July.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9892
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:28:52 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

List of a few IJA reinforcements scrubbed, I think, due to fall of Manila.

Keep dreaming, bub! They will now show up on Tokyo after a little delay. Not the end of the world but an added benefit of taking PI early.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9893
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:32:13 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

John gets a couple of divisions early in July.

Could be a TOE upgrade too.

Any intelligence on your part about what Japan is r&d'ing on the HI?

June is a big month for device upgrades, radar, tanks, off the top of my head.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9894
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:35:11 AM   
Canoerebel

I don't have any ideas about IJ R+D. My guess was that his comment most likely referred to an aircraft model or TOE upgrade, given the definitive date he specified.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9895
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 11:40:20 AM   
Canoerebel

Musashi took a torp in the Naval Battle of Miri a week ago, probably suffering light damage. Where does she go to repair? Singers is within 4EB range of Miri (assuming Singer's yard is big enough to handle the ship). To get her to the Home Islands, she can run the "blockade" of Allied airfields in the DEI or, more likely, up the coast of Indochina and China. But he'll have to do it pretty soon since that "gap" will narrow further as the Allies sweep across Luzon, establishing new airfields, with the prospect of new invasions further west and north.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9896
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 12:12:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Musashi took a torp in the Naval Battle of Miri a week ago, probably suffering light damage. Where does she go to repair? Singers is within 4EB range of Miri (assuming Singer's yard is big enough to handle the ship). To get her to the Home Islands, she can run the "blockade" of Allied airfields in the DEI or, more likely, up the coast of Indochina and China. But he'll have to do it pretty soon since that "gap" will narrow further as the Allies sweep across Luzon, establishing new airfields, with the prospect of new invasions further west and north.

Musashi can be difficult to rearm too. But in this mod I am not certain.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9897
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 1:06:33 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

I don't have any ideas about IJ R+D. My guess was that his comment most likely referred to an aircraft model or TOE upgrade, given the definitive date he specified.

I think it's the Japanese AF units TOE upgrade. The small units get additional light flak, and the bigger units get 72 aviation support instead of 48.

On the small scale it's not much to write home about, but on the wider picture it makes it a little more dangerous to fly low-level bombing missions for the Allies.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9898
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 1:33:47 PM   
Canoerebel

In the early months of the Battle of Burma in 1944, lack of AA really hurt John's army. He worked hard to shift AA forward (too little, too late as it turned out), apparently stripping other areas. He also decided to concentrate his AA in defending strategic targets, perceiving that Allied 4EB would become a serious threat in early 44. My decision to forego strategic bombing while focusing on operational warfare has thus caught John's AA out of position to help in the Luzon campaign. He only a had a couple of AA units present.

It's too early to know whether delaying strategic bombing was the right call, but you can see the various impacts of our decision-making in this regard. To this point, Japanese AA has been a non-factor in the second half of 1943 and first half of 1944.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 9899
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2017 1:50:59 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

To this point, Japanese AA has been a non-factor in the second half of 1943 and first half of 1944.

It will pretty much remain so for the rest of the war. The only way for Japanese AA to make any sort of serious impact is for massive concentrations of it, and even then, it's remarkably anaemic compared to Allied AA. Japan really suffers from lacking an widespread intermediate gun between the light AA (20/25mm guns) and the less common 8cm and 12cm guns.

If the Japanese version of the 40mm Bofors came earlier than late-1945, I suspect that flak might be at least a marginal factor.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9900
Page:   <<   < prev  328 329 [330] 331 332   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  328 329 [330] 331 332   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI