Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to Fix Historical Events Failing to Trigger Part I

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> How to Fix Historical Events Failing to Trigger Part I Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to Fix Historical Events Failing to Trigger Part I - 4/30/2017 2:06:24 PM   
lucr41

UPDATE:
This topic and a few other topics have been consolidated here.

===============
How to Fix Historical Events Failing to Trigger Part I
----------

I have discovered 2 major issues with Historical Events. It is possible they were already known, but I have only seen one vague forum post detailing these issues. While working out a solution to the first issue, I discovered a second one. For clarity, I will deal with each issue in separate posts. The good news is that I was able to workaround the first issue and fix the second.

Note: Historical Events are not available in a PBEM game, so don't look for them in that situation. This is by design.

----------

Issue #1:

You setup the 1792 scenario as France and start play. When ending your August 1792 turn, you get the "French Revolution" event popup window. Historical Events are functioning. Cool, let the mayhem begin!

You end there for the day, save your game and exit COGEE. The next day, you launch COGEE and load your saved game. You end your September 1792 turn and should see the "Monarchy Abolished" event popup window, but nothing. Odd. That event has a 100% chance to trigger, as stated in the COG2Events.txt file.

You end your turns in quick succession, to see if the next scheduled 100% event will appear in January 1793, which is the "Execution of Louis XVI" event. That event also does not appear. In fact, Historical Events no longer trigger at all.

After much testing, it appears the Historical Events engine only functions when you start a scenario. As soon as you exit COGEE, then subsequently relaunch COGEE and load a saved game, the Historical Events engine will not function. It appears the Historical Events engine is only initialized when a scenario is started, but not when a saved game is loaded.

I have reproduced the issue on 2 different Windows 7 computers. I even reproduced it on a Windows XP virtual machine, with an unpatched version of COGEE. Therefore, the issue is not caused by OS incompatibility, nor the v109 COGEE patch.

The puzzling thing about this issue, is that I have seen very little regarding this issue in this forum. Although, it is possible I may have missed it (there are 25 pages of posts). Then again, I have been playing COGEE for 6 months and never realized Historical Events even existed, let alone that they were not trigerring. The game is so vast, that I lost this feature in the extensive game rules. Only when I recently looked at Bryan Morgan's "Modder's Guide" did I realize I was not seeing these Historical Events. BTW, this guide is absolutely awesome! This guide pointed me to the events file used by COGEE, and now I knew exactly what to expect and when.

I did find this post that appears to report this issue: A few observations...

This is a quote from the above post:

"Point 6: I've seen quite a bit of variation in the French Revolution event. Out of four of five games played from 1792 to about 1794, I've seen it happen about half the time. [...]"

Above, there is a statement that the "French Revolution" event triggers "about half the time". This is an event with a 100% chance to trigger and is supposed to do so each and every game.

If my theory is correct, when Historical Events worked for this person, the game would have been played without saving/reloading for the first several turns and the event triggered while playing. When the event failed to trigger, the game would have been saved prior to the event triggering and reloaded at a later date. The Historical Events engine would not have been working upon game reload and the event therefore would not have triggered.

----------

Workaround:

Fortunately, there is a workaround to get the Historical Events engine working when launching COGEE and loading a saved game.

Launch COGEE and setup a scenario, as if starting from scratch (I just pick the scenario and a human player; I don't bother with the other settings). When you are brought to the map, you can load your saved game and the Historical Events engine will be functional. This procedure must be followed EVERY time you launch COGEE and load a saved game.

I have tried this procedure on several of my old saved games where no events were ever triggered and did indeed see Historical Events trigger. It's a bit awkward, but it does work.

---------

UPDATE:

I completely missed looking in the "Tech Support" section of the forum regarding this issue. I should have started there, but did not notice the section until now. I had only been looking in the main section. Gotta get those new glasses...

Turns out, there are 2 posts in the "Tech Support" section of the forum reporting this issue:
Bug in Historic Events (RJinVA was close to the solution)
Historical Events and Stuff

These posts do confirm the issue, but no resolution was ever posted.

< Message edited by lucr41 -- 5/6/2017 7:09:47 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to Fix Historical Events Failing to Trigger Part I - 5/4/2017 12:02:37 PM   
RJinVA_slith

Great job, lucr41!

It's fun to finally see those events.

Thanks!

RJinVA

(in reply to lucr41)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> How to Fix Historical Events Failing to Trigger Part I Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI